HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What's your story about meeting an NHL Star?

Old
08-26-2013, 08:26 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

vCash: 500
Was riding my bike on pine st. One day coming from my studio and came up next to Scott Hartnell on his Vespa at 4th and pine. I said "Scotty!" And he game me a high five.

Dudes legit.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 09:50 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Was riding my bike on pine st. One day coming from my studio and came up next to Scott Hartnell on his Vespa at 4th and pine. I said "Scotty!" And he game me a high five.

Dudes legit.
Hartnell riding a Vespa..LMAO! Did he wear a helmet or were his locks obstructing the motorist's view?

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:08 PM
Gert B Frobe

Played in a father-son game though I wasn't anybody's dad (or son for that matter) - Dave Schultz was the celebrity guest. He got tapped on the wrist by a kid (maybe 16?) and Schultz turns around and 2-hands him across the ankles. Then he tried to fight the kids dad for yelling at him. Total *******.

Last edited by Gert B Frobe: 08-28-2013 at 10:41 PM.
Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:46 PM
Beastieboy

Met Mike Richards in Winnipeg just after the WORST season ended. He was at Earl's (bar) and I said, you're Mike Richards right (I knew he was). He said no. A little later I told one of my buddies it was him so he yelled out Mike... and Richie looked over. Then I went over and he admitted it. He was super nice. Had a few laughs, talked about the terrible season (I had been to Philly for the first time to see a game and they got drubbed 8-2 by Crosby and co). He apologized for that and promised they would be better.

Met Ron Hextall a few years ago when he was inducted into Manitoba Sports Hall of Fame. Also met his Dad. Ron was super nice, quiet. He was checking his blackberry due to assistant GM duties (Lombardi had him busy). His wife was super nice too, told me some good stories. Talked a lot about their kids.

A friend of mine is related to Frank "the Animal" Bialowas. He took us to a game in 2012 in the box seats. Had incredible stories of his AHL and other hockey exploits. He is the guy who punched out the writer of GOON... so he told his side of that story. Priceless.

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 06:51 AM
TheTechNoir

vCash: 50
Probably or maybe most of these players are not considered nhl stars, but I grew up a street over from Ryan Flinn and their family were a friend of my family. We played street hockey a lot and in a 'fight' (I am now 25 so much younger and this was when he played for acadie bathurst or halifax) he picked me up and put me on my roof lol.

I was friends with Voracek and most moosr players in the year that they got swept by Giroux's Olmpyiques. I met Giroux at a party after that season. Jody Shelley taught me how to open ice hit and did other drills with me and other kids at Dalhousie University hockey school when he played for Dalhousie Tigers. I met Selanne and Eric Staal at a bar (Selanne bought me and former first rounder Logan MacMillan's girlfriend at the time/my good friend drinks) in Halifax when they were there for a tournament. I met Baertschi and a lot of Flames players at the pig and duke bar in Calgary. I watched a moosehead game with gigeure or pascal leclair, I was really young and forget which. One of them wasnlong term injured anyway and was sitting in the regular stands watching. Met Jones/Mac/Drouin in Saskatoon. I met the team canada invite roster last weekend at cgy intl airport and the sheraton hotel. Going to the flyers wives charity event this year I think. Bear in mind I'm Canadian so this isn't unusual or surprising. It's different if you grew up in Alaska or something.

TheTechNoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 08:47 AM
Flyers845

Me and my buddies went to Las Vegas Presidents' Day weekend a few years ago same year as the Olympics. On our flight back to Philly airport Dan Carcillo was on the same flight. There was a smoking hot blonde waiting at the terminal for him we landed about 2am

Flyers845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 05:20 PM
WhiskeyBoarder
Flyers West HQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers845 View Post
Me and my buddies went to Las Vegas Presidents' Day weekend a few years ago same year as the Olympics. On our flight back to Philly airport Dan Carcillo was on the same flight. There was a smoking hot blonde waiting at the terminal for him we landed about 2am

Well, Danny's phone number was a contact on one of the phones during the show Entourage. #Superstar

WhiskeyBoarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 05:55 PM
Go For It

vCash: 50
I met Jim Jackson on a train to NYC a couple of years ago. He was really cool about it. At the time, I was really surprised how much he knew about other sports besides hockey.

Go For It is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 05:59 PM
Winston Wolf

I've met quite a few, but this one sticks out the most.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...372&highlight=

Winston Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 07:27 PM
Phillyfan28

That first Richards story was awesome btw.

I knew a guy who was a statistician (sp?) for the Devils. He got me tickets to a devils/pens game in like 2002. He offered to get me in the Devils lockerroom, but that was when the Devils were still dominating and i was a loyal 11 year old Flyers fan. Instead i got to hang out afterwards, met Mario Lemiux and got his autograph. Nothing great but i figured id share.

Phillyfan28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:46 AM
KJS14

I've met a few former Flyers through my brother playing hockey. John LeClair was his coach for a few years, so I got to talk to him at some of the team's parties. I've also met Danny Briere, Bernie Parent, Keith Primeau, Eric Desjardins, and Derian Hatcher at the rink.en Hitch

Edit: I also briefly spoke to Ken Hitchcock and Ron Hextall at a Phantoms game before.

KJS14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:55 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
I met Jim Jackson on a train to NYC a couple of years ago. He was really cool about it. At the time, I was really surprised how much he knew about other sports besides hockey.
That used to surprise me as well (When I would see guys doing other sports), but according to a friend of mine in the media sports writers/broadcasters do their best to know all they can about a wide range of sports. It makes them more versatile and gives them more flexibility, which is apparently very important when you're trying to break into the business.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 09-02-2013 at 10:00 AM.
Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:24 PM
kolankosf

Hey Guys,
Thanks for sharing all these stories. They're all pretty awesome!

kolankosf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 09:04 PM
Larry44

During the '87 Canada Cup in Hamilton, I went to Don Cherry's bar and the whole Canadian team was there. Got to see how huge Mario was in person. Hexy and Fuhr were sitting quietly in the corner so I stopped by to chat for a bit. MIchel Goulet was limping so badly that Bourque had to carry him out of the bar and help him walk - of course he played the final the next day. Being at that game was special, of course.

During the early '90s, I watched about a dozen games with Carl Lindros at the Sports Cafe in Toronto. He used to go to get out of the house, and I'd see him every week. Eventually he waived me over to join him. We had lots of interesting chats. Great guy. One year in Buffalo at a playoff game, I was sitting near Carl and Bonnie and some Buffalo goofs were standing over them cursing and threatening them, very rudely. My buddy and I came up behind them and asked them to show some class (although I doubt I worded it that way). Carl said thanks and later in the period, over came a couple beers in thanks.

Larry44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 10:52 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Hartnell riding a Vespa..LMAO! Did he wear a helmet or were his locks obstructing the motorist's view?
Hahaha he stands out so much on that thing. He wasn't wearing a helmet, but he was wearing camo shorts with socks and sandals.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-16-2013, 11:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
That used to surprise me as well (When I would see guys doing other sports), but according to a friend of mine in the media sports writers/broadcasters do their best to know all they can about a wide range of sports. It makes them more versatile and gives them more flexibility, which is apparently very important when you're trying to break into the business.
Jackson does a lot of work for the Phils on the radio on top of his work for the Flyers.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2013, 10:21 PM
pughater

had a great time hanging out with most of the team at hartnells golf outing. Giroux, Read, Simmonds, Voracek, Hartnell, Schenns, Streit, Gustafsson, Bourdon, Hall, Roshill, Couturier, Emery, Mason, Timonen, were all there. Propp and Parent were there also as well as a few others like Aj Feely, Heather Mitts, Julie Dorenbos(spelling?) Ricky Battalico, John Boreck?, Tommy Greene, Steve Coates, Al Morganti and Flyers head Coach Peter Laviolette and Kerry Frasier.

A small list of people. Great time. All the stars were so nice. Voracek is crazy nice. he came up and high fived and hugged me. Which i totally wasnt expecting. Bourdon was funny as hell. Brian Propp is a really good Golfer.

pughater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Ramboshaw

I live in Flin Flon so needless to say I've met Bobby Clarke and Reggie Leach.

Ramboshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-24-2013, 01:07 PM
FlyersFanz
aut viam inveniam au

I got see Scott Stevens with the Stanley Cup at the marina on Lake Catchacoma in the Kawarthas(Ontario) which was pretty cool.

FlyersFanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-02-2013, 09:06 AM
Hollywood Couturier

Saw Scott Laughton out at dinner last night. Told him good luck as I walked out of the restaurant. He was with who I assumed was his dad. I now know that my hunch of where the majority of Flyers players live now was right.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Hollywood Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote