HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Is Marc Bergevin Done Tinkering?

Old
08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

vCash: 500
Is Marc Bergevin Done Tinkering?

In addition to this thread...

It’s been a fairly busy summer for Habs’ General Manager Marc Bergevin as he managed to add three pieces to the puzzle he is building in hope for his team to become a Stanley Cup contender. First, he traded for heavyweight George Parros, then he signed unrestricted free agents Daniel Brière in hope to replace the offense lost in Michael Ryder, and also signed rugged defenseman Douglas Murray. The addition of Parros and Murray change the dynamic of this team, adding some much needed help for often targeted Brandon Prust.

PENTICTON, BC. — While Brière will take Ryder’s spot in the line-up, Parros has taken Colby Armstrong’s spot on the roster, and it appears like the forwards group is fairly set for next season.

Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta, Max Pacioretty, Daniel Brière, David Desharnais, Rene Bourque, Alex Galchenyuk, Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, Lars Eller, George Parros, Brendan Gallagher and Ryan White are pretty much guaranteed a spot on the Canadiens’ roster as it stands today. That’s a total of 13 forwards, although it remains to be seen if Gionta will be ready on time for the start of the season due to his second bicep surgery in two years.

Pushing the veterans, a mix of young prospects and young veterans will be ready to show what they can do if or when called upon, and they will all try to force GM Bergevin’s hand to keep them in Montreal. Under contract, the Habs have: Louis Leblanc, Mike McCarron, Christian Thomas, Sebastian Collberg, Joonas Nattinen, Patrick Holland, Steve Quailer, Michael Bournival, Tim Bozon, Charles Hudon, Sven Andrighetto, Stefan Fournier, Gabriel Dumont, Martin St-Pierre, Mike Blunden and newly signed rugged winger Nick Tarnasky. While there could be some surprises (remember a certain Brendan Gallagher), it is safe to assume that former first round pick Louis Leblanc, the last first round pick Michael McCarron, and young veterans Michael Blunden, Gabriel Dumont and Nick Tarnasky will receive a good long look.

On defense...

Full article...

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 10:53 AM
Andy

Bergevin doesn't seem like the chess playing type.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:07 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Do you think he'll start the season with the current roster?

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:08 AM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
What is that even supposed to mean?

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:10 AM
jwolf

Not a bad set-up article for the upcoming season. Simmonds or Brouwer would be a welcome addition to the team. I fear that it would be far to costly, however.

jwolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:19 AM
SouthernHab

The only tinkering needed would be possibly trading Gionta, DD or Diaz.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:24 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
The only tinkering needed would be possibly trading Gionta, DD or Diaz.
People have really turned their back on Diaz fast. Man.

PricePkPatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Lafontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
For good reason, he really showed himself to be a liability late in the season in my opinion. If we had a rugged team that was well balanced, it might be worth being patient with him to see if that offensive touch we saw early in the season could really emerge. As it stands though, we've already got two quarterbacks on D and his unwillingness to fight battles and hold to his defensive responsibilities that were highlighted in the postseason make him part of the problem. He's one of too many guys on the squad who fit that same profile unfortunately.

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafontaine View Post
For good reason, he really showed himself to be a liability late in the season in my opinion. If we had a rugged team that was well balanced, it might be worth being patient with him to see if that offensive touch we saw early in the season could really emerge. As it stands though, we've already got two quarterbacks on D and his unwillingness to fight battles and hold to his defensive responsibilities that were highlighted in the postseason make him part of the problem. He's one of too many guys on the squad who fit that same profile unfortunately.
Markov gets hurt and there is literally no one else to play the powerplay. Anyway, it's more than that with Diaz. He's becoming underrated just because have become so obsessed with height. He's a good bottom pairing D man, has good gap control, skates well, decent vision and offensive instincts, anticipated well, a good active stick and makes a good first pass (Eller's suicide pass aside). But, all this is overlooked just because he can't bruise anyone up and can't fight. As long as the rest of the D core is well balanced, Diaz is a useful player for now.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:42 AM
habsfanatics

If the right deal comes along, I would trade either Gorges or Diaz. Gorges is severely overrated imo. He got carried by PK and then all the sudden he was this untouchable piece. I'm not a big fan of his, and he's easily replaced and even upgraded.

habsfanatics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:44 AM
WestIslander

I think there will be one more trade between now and November, it will involve a roster player going from our team to another team for help on defense, I think that as we stand we are going to start the season like this:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Briere
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - White - Parros
Dumont

Markov - Diaz
Gorges - Subban
Bouillon - Murray
Tinordi

Price
Budaj

Emelin (IR)

I can see Desharnais, Gionta, Bourque traded from up front and/or Gorges, Diaz, Emelin traded from defense.

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:48 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
You mean, when he had a concussion or when he was getting back into play after losing the season's high beat for a month and a half?

Old
08-27-2013, 11:52 AM
OpenIceHit

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I think there will be one more trade between now and November, it will involve a roster player going from our team to another team for help on defense, I think that as we stand we are going to start the season like this:

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Briere
Bourque - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - White - Parros
Dumont

Markov - Diaz
Gorges - Subban
Bouillon - Murray
Tinordi

Price
Budaj

Emelin (IR)

I can see Desharnais, Gionta, Bourque traded from up front and/or Gorges, Diaz, Emelin traded from defense.
What about Moen?

OpenIceHit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:54 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
I don't know if he's done tinkering.
But he's definitely not done twerking.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:55 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Who is the other quarterback? Because Subban, so far, has not shown he can 'quarterback' a PP. He's a fantastic triggerman, as it stands.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:00 PM
GoodKiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Who is the other quarterback? Because Subban, so far, has not shown he can 'quarterback' a PP. He's a fantastic triggerman, as it stands.
Yes, I can't believe people keep making that mistake still.

GoodKiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:03 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
While Subban's triggerman abilities has, indeed, went up fantasticly this season. It seems to me he also seems much more poised and intelligent in his passing game on the PP. After all, most of the time, he starts up the PP on the RIGHT side; where he favors his passing game.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:06 PM
Lshap

Quote:
You mean, when he had a concussion or when he was getting back into play after losing the season's high beat for a month and a half?
Exactly. Diaz barely made it back for the end of the season and playoffs, and was nowhere near 100%.

Judging him on those few games makes no sense. We need the type of skill he brings.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:10 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Exactly. Diaz barely made it back for the end of the season and playoffs, and was nowhere near 100%.

Judging him on those few games makes no sense. We need the type of skill he brings.
And yet many posters here are shatting on him.

Hey people! Let's trade Markov during Summer 2012, 'cause after all, he SUCKED in the games he was back late 2012!!!

Old
08-27-2013, 12:19 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Diaz is expendable. I have no idea how he has gotten so overrated here. He's decent on the 2nd wave of the PP, but he is weak in his own end.

hockeyfan2k11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:23 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Diaz is expendable. I have no idea how he has gotten so overrated here. He's decent on the 2nd wave of the PP, but he is weak in his own end.
If he trucked people, HF would love him. He was our 3rd best D until he went down to injury. Came back looking all ****ed up.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:27 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
If he trucked people, HF would love him. He was our 3rd best D until he went down to injury. Came back looking all ****ed up.
Gee. I Wonder why a player wouldn't look good when he gets back to his team near the end of a very intense, short and highly rythmic season.

Old
08-27-2013, 12:33 PM
Lafontaine

Quote:
Fair enough, you obviously have to give consideration and extra patience due to injuries.

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:26 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
That's not turning on Diaz. It's more using him in a package deal with Gionta or DD in a trade.

I would much rather start easing Beaulieu into the lineup looking at the age of Markov.

Move an asset when it has value.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:56 PM
HiggsBozon
LOLZ, keep hating

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
His offensive contribution of last year is ALL on Markov.

When looking at Diaz, I see a guy who never pinches, always fails to keep the puck in the O zone when he needs to, loses almost all of his boards battles, and is unable to get anybody off of Price's crease.

The fact is that while he's being talked about as a top-4 d-man on this board, he's barely even a top-6 d-man, as he adds absolutely nothing special to a team besides a decent outlet pass. Still, he's part of a group in our team that does nothing to make our team harder to score against, harder to play against, harder to defend against, or anything at all. He's just there.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote