HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie
Notices

Murray-Parros-Brière vs Ryder-Halpern-Weber

View Poll Results: Would you prefer to have:
Ryder-Halpern-Weber 21 11.17%
Murray-Parros-Brière 167 88.83%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-27-2013, 11:19 AM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Murray-Parros-Brière vs Ryder-Halpern-Weber

I was reading the Bergevin thread and MathMan mentionned the Habs would be better off with Ryder, Halpern and Weber over our new acquisitions (Murray, Parros and Brière). I am of a different opinion and I am curious as to what people here would choose.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
Andy

vCash: 500
Murray is better than Weber, but Halpern is better than Parros.

As for Ryder vs Briere. Well Ryder scored as many goals as Briere had points last season. He's one dimensional, but less redundant given the make up of the top 6.

Conclusion: I'd rather have Murray, Halpern, Cole (yes out of the blue, but he gets paid 500k more than Briere, contracts will end at the same time and actually fills a need).

Last edited by Andy: 08-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:27 AM
sXe
Yuuuuuup!

Halpern over Parros

sXe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:28 AM
Dr Gonzo
#1 Jan Bulis Fan

vs Darche - Engqvist - Palushaj

Dr Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:30 AM
Price My Man Crush

The second option. And I should AINEC even though I hate using that term.

Price My Man Crush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:38 AM
Lafontaine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
I was reading the Bergevin thread and MathMan mentionned the Habs would be better off with Ryder, Halpern and Weber over our new acquisitions (Murray, Parros and Brière). I am of a different opinion and I am curious as to what people here would choose.
I've not watched Parros play, but I don't love the whole one-dimensional goon idea. I appreciated what Halpern did for us. I believe Briere-Ryder might be a wash. I think its hard to know what to expect from Briere, but at least we can be confident he'll put up more of a fight for us in the off-season than Ryder. Murray over Weber seems like an obvious upgrade. Weber, even if he is "better" than Murray, bring more of the same to the team. He wouldn't haved help us this season unless two of PK, Markov and Diaz go down to injuries for a long period of time (even in that case I'd rather see Beaulieu given his opportunity).

Lafontaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:44 AM
Sorinth

I'm not really sure how Murray is a Weber replacement. Murray is signed to be a #5 or #6. Weber was a #8 or #9.

But in any case you win with your best players. Ryder is better than Briere, and Murray doesn't make up the difference.

And not that it matters much but Ryder, Halpern, Weber is about 1.5m cheaper.

Sorinth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:45 AM
Grant McCagg
@grantmccagg

Halpern is better than Parros in obvious ways....pretty tough to compare the two really. It's more a case of White/Dumont being ready to replace Halpern as fourth-line center. vand Murray isn't replacing Weber..he's replacing Emelin....for now.

So really it's Halpern/Ryder/Emelin replaced by White/Briere/Murray until Emelin is ready. Parros isn't replacing anybody - he's filling a need.

Grant McCagg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:12 PM
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

vCash: 905
Halpern is a more valuable player than Parros on the ice, that's for sure, but Parros is a need in our division, will just give a much needed boost to the cojones department. Murray is the exact opposite of Weber in term of play, but he, like Parros, was a need on our blueline, especially with Emelin gone until november (?). Now, Ryder is younger, and probably will be more prolific, and costs .5M$ less, but, both him and Briere would have been stopgaps anyway, that's why Briere is a better fit since he signed for only 2 years, and Ryder wanted a longer term (4 years with the Devils I think?).

Look how the team went down when Emelin got hurt, and Prust was playing hurt too, and Moen was playing like a little girl, and White was undisciplined... we need those physical players, now add Parros and Murray to that, changes a lot of things.

L4br3cqu3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Fozz

Halpern and Weber are both easily replaceable with other players in the org. I really don't see Murray and Parros as playing similar roles. The only true question here is Brière vs Ryder and after Ryder's complete no-show in the post-season, I have to go with Brière.

Fozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:30 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
Really?? Wow. I'm not even going to say who i'd go with, because it's so bloody obvious, lol.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:34 PM
overlords
#FakeBlous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozz View Post
Halpern and Weber are both easily replaceable with other players in the org. I really don't see Murray and Parros as playing similar roles. The only true question here is Brière vs Ryder and after Ryder's complete no-show in the post-season, I have to go with Brière.
halpern would still be our best 4th line center right now, so I don't see how he's 'easily replaceable', considering he hasn't been replcaed.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:47 PM
Lions999

Its not who is better its what we need and what these guys can do for our team to make us better. Murray-Briere-Parros will help our team more than Weber-Ryder-Halpern.

Lions999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Pax Macioretty

Player vs player and need vs need will give you 2 very different answers. Weber is of no use AT ALL. Ryder dissapeird when it mattered most while Briere has always elevated his game and I like White's fiestyness way more than Halpern's reliability, Ieapecially for a team that already has Plekanec and Eller for solid defensive coverage. As for Parros, well watch the ******* game for a change, we needed an enforcer in a pressing matter.

We needed a tougher team and we got it, I don't really care if some nerd that watches hockey cause it's the trend these days will try to use Corsi numbers to prove otherwise.

Pax Macioretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:50 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

At the beginning of the summer, I thought my opinion of Bergevin was going to shift one way or another.

All in all, looking at the big picture, I'm very enthousiastic about his priorities. Seems like he could see what the other 2 couldn't all those years.

Guys like Bourque, Pacioretty, and most of all, Prust, all expressed the desire to get bigger and nastier on the ice as a team. Glad Bergevin could hear their demands...

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:12 PM
SouthernHab
Go Habs Go!

If you look at individual stats in a vacuum, the Halpern group might be better.

If you at team dynamics, the Parros group by a large margin.

It's still a team game.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

It depends on how far regressed the Murray/Parros/Briere group are. If they're as bad this year as they were last year compared to the year previous we've got three Gomez' coming in.

Ezpz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:28 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

For me Murray was brought in to take Emelin spot, not really to replace Weber, IMO the player that replaced Weber is DD, same thing for Parros, I think he replaced Armstrong spot. Halpern was brought in to take over White 4th line centre spot, and it seems White has that spot again.

For me those comparison don't work other than the Briere for Ryder one, just how I see it.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
For me Murray was brought in to take Emelin spot, not really to replace Weber, IMO the player that replaced Weber is DD, same thing for Parros, I think he replaced Armstrong spot. Halpern was brought in to take over White 4th line centre spot, and it seems White has that spot again.

For me those comparison don't work other than the Briere for Ryder one, just how I see it.
Murray was not brought in to take Emelin's spot. Murray can handle about 10 minutes at ES. Emelin was either first or second in ES time for us.

Old
08-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Dagistitsyn

Moore-Lapierre-O'Byrne

Murray > Weber
Halpern > Parros
Regular season - Ryder > Briere
Playoffs - Briere >>> Ryder

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:41 PM
WhiskeySeven
Expect the expected

vCash: 300
Even today I'd prefer Cole to Briere.

WhiskeySeven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:42 PM
Andy

Poll should have a Murray-Halpern-Cole option

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 01:45 PM
Son Oncle Jerry
Formerly HiggsBozon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezpz View Post
It depends on how far regressed the Murray/Parros/Briere group are. If they're as bad this year as they were last year compared to the year previous we've got three Gomez' coming in.
The total of all three contracts (nb. years * salary) barely even amount to one year of what was necessary to pay Gomez. Nice try.

Son Oncle Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:17 PM
Hullois
Suck it Trebek

vCash: 250
Looks like a landslide win. And the question wasn't to compare the players involved one by one (Halpern>Parros type thing) but to compare the two groups, basically are the habs a better team today than at the end of last season.

To me, given the needs the team had, Parros Murray and to a lesser extent Brière are a much better option than the other group.

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Ezpz
No mad pls

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
The total of all three contracts (nb. years * salary) barely even amount to one year of what was necessary to pay Gomez. Nice try.
Wat. Where were contracts even mentioned?