Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Oshawa Generals 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2013, 10:23 AM
Generals Fan

vCash: 500
*OFFICIAL* Oshawa Generals 2013-14 Season Thread

Has been quite as of late, how is the team shaping up for next season??

Old
06-12-2013, 08:01 AM
jaybone87

Maybe we can sticky this but heres a temporary breakdown of who is in/out for next season and just early season projections.

Forwards

Returning:
Aidan Wallace
Adam Lloyd
Justice Dundas
Bradley Latour
Brian Hughes (OA)
Cole Cassels
Scott Laughton
Hunter Smith
Michael Dal Colle

Possible OA Options:
Johhny McGuire
Trevor Morbeck

Likely To Make Team:
Same Harding (2nd round 2013)
Owen McDade (3rd round 2012, played a few games)
Joe Manchurek (4th round 2012, played a few games)

Possible To Make Team:
Chase Pearson (4th round 2013)
Ian Johnston (5th round 2013)
Evan Buehler (6th round 2012, played 8 games in 2012/2013)

Really Nice If He Reported:
Teddy Blueger (2012 1st round Import, currently playing NCAA)

I could be missing some guys here but if you combine the returning players plus the likely players to make the team that only makes 12 forwards, with probably 2 spots remaining and wouldn't be surprised to see an OA added there.

Defence

Returning:
Josh Brown
Will Petschenig
Chris Carlisle
Colin Suellentrop (OA, unsigned by the Flyers)

Possible OA Options:
Simon Karlsson

Likely To Make Team:
Mitchell Vande Sompel (1st round 2013)
Austin Boulard (Signed early 2013, was with Whitby Fury)
Pat Hamilton (13th round 2011, played 5 games in 2012/2013)

Other Options:
Stephen Desrocher (6th round 2012)
Tyler Cooper (8th round 2012)
Austin Lane (10th round 2012)
Ethan Adair (12th round 2012)
Daniel Robertson (4th round 2013)
Rhodes Dolan (10th round 2013, already in USHL, unsure if he'll report)

The D is wide open especially is Suellentrop signs a pro deal somewhere. The 4 returning D are not true #1 D and could struggle this season unless they all take strides in their game. As it stands there is no real puck moving Dman in the group. Karlsson I doubt is back he rarely played after being acquired and I don't think warrants both an OA and Import spot.

Goalies:
Daniel Altshuller
Ken Appleby

Goalies for the future:
Jeremy Brodeur (8th round 2013, yes son of Martin)
Shawn Mabley (12th round 2013, Oshawa product)

To be fair goaltending is the least of the Gens worries this season. Altshuller is a #1 goalie and Appleby needs to show he is capable of starting if Altshuller is traded at the deadline/at some point this season or for next season. The two kids they picked in this years draft hopefully one of them turns out to be a solid OHL goalie as the goalie depth for Oshawa beyond these two is shallow. Gens didn't take a goalie in 2012 and in 2011 they took Appleby in the 2nd round and then one of the scouts kids in the 15th round.

Overall this is a rebuilding team and I could see the Gens selling off parts come the deadline. Best case scenario is we can get a viable import up front and MAYBE one for the backend as well. The team will compete but could be an up and down season for the Gens.

Old
06-12-2013, 01:20 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybone87 View Post
Maybe we can sticky this but heres a temporary breakdown of who is in/out for next season and just early season projections.

Forwards

Returning:
Aidan Wallace
Adam Lloyd
Justice Dundas
Bradley Latour
Brian Hughes (OA)
Cole Cassels
Scott Laughton
Hunter Smith
Michael Dal Colle

Possible OA Options:
Johhny McGuire
Trevor Morbeck

Likely To Make Team:
Same Harding (2nd round 2013)
Owen McDade (3rd round 2012, played a few games)
Joe Manchurek (4th round 2012, played a few games)

Possible To Make Team:
Chase Pearson (4th round 2013)
Ian Johnston (5th round 2013)
Evan Buehler (6th round 2012, played 8 games in 2012/2013)

Really Nice If He Reported:
Teddy Blueger (2012 1st round Import, currently playing NCAA)

I could be missing some guys here but if you combine the returning players plus the likely players to make the team that only makes 12 forwards, with probably 2 spots remaining and wouldn't be surprised to see an OA added there.

Defence

Returning:
Josh Brown
Will Petschenig
Chris Carlisle
Colin Suellentrop (OA, unsigned by the Flyers)

Possible OA Options:
Simon Karlsson

Likely To Make Team:
Mitchell Vande Sompel (1st round 2013)
Austin Boulard (Signed early 2013, was with Whitby Fury)
Pat Hamilton (13th round 2011, played 5 games in 2012/2013)

Other Options:
Stephen Desrocher (6th round 2012)
Tyler Cooper (8th round 2012)
Austin Lane (10th round 2012)
Ethan Adair (12th round 2012)
Daniel Robertson (4th round 2013)
Rhodes Dolan (10th round 2013, already in USHL, unsure if he'll report)

The D is wide open especially is Suellentrop signs a pro deal somewhere. The 4 returning D are not true #1 D and could struggle this season unless they all take strides in their game. As it stands there is no real puck moving Dman in the group. Karlsson I doubt is back he rarely played after being acquired and I don't think warrants both an OA and Import spot.

Goalies:
Daniel Altshuller
Ken Appleby

Goalies for the future:
Jeremy Brodeur (8th round 2013, yes son of Martin)
Shawn Mabley (12th round 2013, Oshawa product)

To be fair goaltending is the least of the Gens worries this season. Altshuller is a #1 goalie and Appleby needs to show he is capable of starting if Altshuller is traded at the deadline/at some point this season or for next season. The two kids they picked in this years draft hopefully one of them turns out to be a solid OHL goalie as the goalie depth for Oshawa beyond these two is shallow. Gens didn't take a goalie in 2012 and in 2011 they took Appleby in the 2nd round and then one of the scouts kids in the 15th round.

Overall this is a rebuilding team and I could see the Gens selling off parts come the deadline. Best case scenario is we can get a viable import up front and MAYBE one for the backend as well. The team will compete but could be an up and down season for the Gens.

Im not 'in the know' by any means but Scott Laughton played games for the Flyers last year and actually did quite well. I dont see much need for him to be back in the O.

(Or... As a Petes fan im sick of him lighting my team up)

One or the other..

Old
06-12-2013, 07:57 PM
jaybone87

It wouldn't surprise me if Laughton is back.... I think he could benefit from the wjc and another year of junior... That being said it wouldn't surprise me if he gets another long look from the flyers. If he doesn't return this team will struggle to score

Old
07-02-2013, 04:06 PM
TuckerFan1

Generals acquire Artur Gavrus from Owen Sound for a conditional 14th round pick in 2014. Will become a 7th round pick if he plays

45 games in 2011/2012 with 15 goals and 22 assists. Only 21 games last year but had 8 goals and 6 assists. Doesn't seem like a bad pick up to me

http://www.oshawagenerals.com/articl...n-sound-attack

Last edited by TuckerFan1: 07-02-2013 at 04:12 PM.
Old
07-03-2013, 06:54 AM
jaybone87

Not a bad pickup at all for the Gens...They draft today 44th overall in the import draft. It will be interesting to see what they do with the pick. They do have a kid Bluegers they picked last season but he's in the NCAA...If they make the pick it means he's not coming and Karlsson is out. Personally Karlsson wouldn't be a big loss since he barely played when he was acquired at the deadline.

Old
07-03-2013, 12:16 PM
jaybone87

Gens take Jimi Kuronen, Defence from Lukko in Finland..

If anyone has any reports on him feel free to share.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=50666

Old
07-20-2013, 05:48 AM
webegtodiffer

Vandesompel

I's been said that the Gennies may try Mitch at forward, which i think would be a shame , unless they use him on the PP point. Thoughts?

Old
07-22-2013, 06:16 PM
jaybone87

Quote:
Originally Posted by webegtodiffer View Post
I's been said that the Gennies may try Mitch at forward, which i think would be a shame , unless they use him on the PP point. Thoughts?
with how thin they are on the backend i doubt it...I know he had some serious looks from some NCAA schools including Michigan so I think we'll see him on the backend. The returning D for the Gens are not puck moving dman or PP guys.. Brown, Carlisle, Suellentrop and Petschenig are all serviceable dmen but not guys who you'd call PP Quarterbacks.

Old
07-25-2013, 04:35 PM
The Saw Is the Law

Quote:
Gens take Jimi Kuronen, Defence from Lukko in Finland..

If anyone has any reports on him feel free to share.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=50666
No idea about the guy but he is going to cross the pond.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:13 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
Im not 'in the know' by any means but Scott Laughton played games for the Flyers last year and actually did quite well. I dont see much need for him to be back in the O.

(Or... As a Petes fan im sick of him lighting my team up)

One or the other..
I was thinking the same thing. I'd be surprised if he was back. Then again I was surprised Scheifele came back last year.

Old
07-25-2013, 07:21 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottsabrefan View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I'd be surprised if he was back. Then again I was surprised Scheifele came back last year.
Flyers have cap issues,unless he plays top 9 minutes,Laughton should be playing in the O this coming season

Old
07-25-2013, 07:47 PM
defensehockey19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
Flyers have cap issues,unless he plays top 9 minutes,Laughton should be playing in the O this coming season
They have cap issues so there going to send down a forward who is plenty capable that they only have to pay the ELC?

Old
07-25-2013, 07:52 PM
hockeylegend11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PetesFan94 View Post
They have cap issues so there going to send down a forward who is plenty capable that they only have to pay the ELC?
A ist rder ELC with bonuses could be above 2 million dollars,for a cap strapped team
he has to contibute to stick

Old
07-25-2013, 08:01 PM
JL17

Quote:
with how thin they are on the backend i doubt it...I know he had some serious looks from some NCAA schools including Michigan so I think we'll see him on the backend. The returning D for the Gens are not puck moving dman or PP guys.. Brown, Carlisle, Suellentrop and Petschenig are all serviceable dmen but not guys who you'd call PP Quarterbacks.
Vande Sompel IMO is very comparable to Doughty skill wise but a much better skater. This kid blew me away with his skating. He can play either position and play it well. He'd be better suited IMO playing defense.

Old
07-25-2013, 09:38 PM
ottsabrefan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeylegend11 View Post
I thought he looked good in the top 9 when he did play there last year. He definitely wasn't the reason they were losing. I think he could contribute for them. It will come down to how he plays in camp.

Old
08-02-2013, 06:11 AM
webegtodiffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
Vande Sompel IMO is very comparable to Doughty skill wise but a much better skater. This kid blew me away with his skating. He can play either position and play it well. He'd be better suited IMO playing defense.
he is a great pick; Bet he is running the PP early in his career and puts up Ryan Ellis numbers

Old
08-25-2013, 08:59 PM
butter sheep*
Swim Team Coach

Wow, the Gennies could be the worst team in the league this year.

Old
08-27-2013, 06:04 PM
mapleleaf979

Matt MCConnach was drafted in the 15th round by the Gens, #294 overall. This boggles my mind. To me he was Top 60 player. If anyone knows for sure that he has a NCAA commitment, please chime in or message me. He has alot of potential. Im sure he can contribute in Year 2, im convinced of it. In fact I believe he could contribute in the 5-6 pairing on an average team this year.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:40 AM
Generals Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapleleaf979 View Post
Matt MCConnach was drafted in the 15th round by the Gens, #294 overall. This boggles my mind. To me he was Top 60 player. If anyone knows for sure that he has a NCAA commitment, please chime in or message me. He has alot of potential. Im sure he can contribute in Year 2, im convinced of it. In fact I believe he could contribute in the 5-6 pairing on an average team this year.
McConnach played in the GTHL Top Prospects Game, participated in the OHL Combine and played in the OHL Gold Cup on team red for the GTHL...he apparently is ' hanging up his skates ' to pursue playing football, too bad, he's a nice hockey player.

Last edited by Generals Fan: 08-28-2013 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old
08-28-2013, 09:04 AM
butter sheep*
Swim Team Coach

Who cares about a player that they drafted in the 15th round, lol. Whos going to score goals for Oshawa this year? I mean, they haven't really made that playoff push since the Tavares days. Laughton, Cassels and Dal Colle would be a great line, except they're all centres and will be spread all over the place. They're so bad that they're thinking of making their first round pick this year play forward because they have no offense. They can't keep drafting one player each year. They should have gotten something for Stumpys kid the year before or Jenner last year. Oshawa is in trouble!

Last edited by butter sheep*: 08-28-2013 at 09:10 AM.
Old
08-31-2013, 08:51 AM
KnightSpit

OSHAWA and ERIE D / Trades

How are things going at the General's camp so far.

I was amazed that as per the Generals web site, there are only 4 returning D, so looks like the Generals have a ton of D spots open and will be short, unless you guys fill them all up from rookies and FA'S at camp. Unless I read that wrong on the web page

Erie on the other hand looks to have a surplus off possibly 1 or 2 D, that would make for a good trade.

Have there been any fights at the Generals camp. McDavid by all accounts has looked like the second coming of Crosby at the Otter's camp.

Thanks for the update and your opinions

Old
09-02-2013, 06:16 AM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL17 View Post
I watched him at the U-17 final camp and he is an excellent skater for sure. When he jumped into the rush he always looked off the D and found the trailer like it was nothing. Had chemistry with his Peak teammate Konechny. He played D infront of Roger Hunt so I assume he will be playing D all year. He will probably run the power play to start the year as well.

Old
09-02-2013, 02:41 PM
butter sheep*
Swim Team Coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by sniper81 View Post
I watched him at the U-17 final camp and he is an excellent skater for sure. When he jumped into the rush he always looked off the D and found the trailer like it was nothing. Had chemistry with his Peak teammate Konechny. He played D in front of Roger Hunt so I assume he will be playing D all year. He will probably run the power play to start the year as well.
I'm sure the kid is a great player, but hes a D man. This further proves my point that Oshawa has no offense this year and will struggle to score. Not only that with 4 returning D we could be give up the most goals this season as well

Old
09-02-2013, 05:41 PM
sniper81

Quote:
Originally Posted by moemoe View Post
I'm sure the kid is a great player, but hes a D man. This further proves my point that Oshawa has no offense this year and will struggle to score. Not only that with 4 returning D we could be give up the most goals this season as well
This happens all the time in the OHL, teams have re building years where ice time is given to 16-17 year olds. The only player I would have taken over him is mitch marner because i think he is a top 5 player from the 97 class and maybe Kriess. Vande was a bigger need for this team moving forward, give him a chance and wait and see if he can reach his huge potential.

Closed Thread