HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

The Official NHLers/Oilers @ The Olympics Thread

Old
08-26-2013, 03:10 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Why does TSN have Nash as an absolute lock?

11/12 = Nash 0.71 PPG Hall 0.86 PPG
12/13 = Nash 0.95 PPG Hall 1.11 PPG
Nash played a shutdown role last time, he is quite underrated as a two-way player. Learned a lot under Hitchcock.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 03:16 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbean View Post
Why does TSN have Nash as an absolute lock?

11/12 = Nash 0.71 PPG Hall 0.86 PPG
12/13 = Nash 0.95 PPG Hall 1.11 PPG
Because Nash has become a myth that's larger then his actual talent and production level. He's barely on my Team Canada, and NOT a lock.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 04:38 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
This is what I have for forwards

Kunitz/Crosby/Giroux
Hall/Stamkos/St. Louis
Couture/Tavares/Perry
Marchand/Bergeron/

I went with chemistry over anything else
Crosby and Kunitz, Stamkos and St. Louis, Marchand and Bergeron
I'm inclined to put Tavares instead of Thornton. Tavares just seems more competitive imo
Goes with chemistry... and then you don't have Getzlaf/Perry together.

Also Crosby has had chemistry with some of the other guys from past tournaments as well

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:05 PM
skorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Rick Nash, Really? As a lock not so much, my 11 would look like this.

Shea Weber
Drew Dought
Brent Seabrook
Duncan Keith
Kris Letang
Sidney Crosby
Jonathan Toews
Steven Stamkos
John Tavares
Corey Perry
Ryan Getzlaf
I don't see 5 defense as being locks right now

My picks for Locks
Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Bergeron, Staal, Nash, St. Louis
Weber, Keith, Doughty
Loungo

-I think almost everyone would pick Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Weber, and Keith as locks so I won't argue for any of them.

-Bergeron because right now he's overrated in the hockey world... but just like last Olympics, they want him for PK/faceoffs/defense, and really there wouldn't be any other better options then him out there for those roles.

-Staal, he's been to 2 Olympics already I believe, 6th in the NHL in points last year, hockey Canada loves the guy, I'd argue that he isn't much better then a lot of the other guys that are not locks and I personally question if he should be on the team if he has a weak start to next season, but they like him enough that he will be there.

-Nash, kind of like Staal, they love him even if the numbers aren't there all the time, he's been thrust on the first line numerous times because of his size and skill, there's no reason to expect anything else this year. Even if he underwhelms this year, he could be a good winger for bergeron on a checking line

-St. Louis, Yzerman is a key component of the selection and his GM, st. louis won the art ross last year, a big ice surface suits his game well, he has the chemistry with stamkos, he's the veteran presence (they always seem to have a guy in his later 30's on the team), and really he deserves to be on the team

-Doughty, some people question if he'll make it, but he's solid enough defensively and has done enough in the past, that he will be on the team. He's one of the guys that Canada will rely upon for the next 2-3 Olympics... kind of like Eric Staal, even if others may be better options, they'll ride with him.

-Loungo, he was the goalie when they won gold 4 years ago, and he will be the only goalie with any Olympic experience (unless you want to bring in Brodeur or Fleury though I don't think Fleury has seen any action in net), so experience alone he grabs one of the 3 spots (plus it's not like we have a ton of other options either)

Quote:
Kris Letang
Kris Letang could easily get the Mike Green treatment. Be one of the best if not the best offensive defenseman in the NHL but be left off the team because of their D zone coverage.

skorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 05:52 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Because Nash has become a myth that's larger then his actual talent and production level. He's barely on my Team Canada, and NOT a lock.
Nash always seems to have good tournaments when he's playing for Team Canada so I guess that's why they're infatuated with him.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 07:12 PM
Roof Daddy

The TSN take on the potential roster is a joke. This would be my picks:

Stamkos-Crosby-St.Louis
Nash-Tavares-Giroux
Bergeron-Toews-E Staal
Hall-Getzlaf-Perry

Taxi squad: Duchene, Couture

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 08:52 PM
alphahelix

IMHO, at the last Olympics, the only 2 players who could think, skate, and play as fast and creatively in the offensive zone as Crosby were Keith and Doughty. Those 3 were killers and the other forwards were always a step behind.

FOR MY MONEY, the elite offensive unit for Canada would be a combo of:

Giroux - Crosby - Stamkos
with Keith and Doughty behind them.

I think that grouping could absolutely score at will and dominate mercilessly against literally any other 5 man unit conceivable on the planet. Thats why we won't see it.

BONUS: Hall is going to shove his way onto this team but wind up underused. He is an elite talent, he'll dominate at the NEXT Olympics.

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:41 AM
Cloned
Sexy Genesis

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Team Canada brought in Ralph Krueger as an advisor a few days ago. Something about his experience with big ice.

Sig AND X-mas avatar courtesy of The Nemesis

"Pull yourself together!" - Solid Snake to Otacon, multiple times in the series
Cloned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:13 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I wouldn't mind Hall not making it. Generally, then players are snubbed, they come back from the break with something to prove, which is best for the Oilers. Keeping him off of team Canada, well, lets just say keeping the best left winger in the NHL off of your team isn't good for your team.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:13 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Tastes like Chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorf View Post
I don't see 5 defense as being locks right now

My picks for Locks
Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Bergeron, Staal, Nash, St. Louis
Weber, Keith, Doughty
Loungo
You can not see it, still makes it the most logical thing to do. Luongo's too much of a headcase to "guarantee" a spot right now. St. Louis isn't even at this camp is he? Bergeron, if he stays healthy, Nash is overrated. And if you're going to "guarantee" another center a spot, Tavares is just better.

Quote:
-I think almost everyone would pick Crosby, Toews, Stamkos, Weber, and Keith as locks so I won't argue for any of them.
Yeah, those ones are in stone.
Quote:
-Bergeron because right now he's overrated in the hockey world... but just like last Olympics, they want him for PK/faceoffs/defense, and really there wouldn't be any other better options then him out there for those roles.
You don't need to "lock" a bottom-6 forward, especially one who may not be healthy. Remember he's not exactly the healthiest over a full season.

Quote:
-Staal, he's been to 2 Olympics already I believe, 6th in the NHL in points last year, hockey Canada loves the guy, I'd argue that he isn't much better then a lot of the other guys that are not locks and I personally question if he should be on the team if he has a weak start to next season, but they like him enough that he will be there.
Iginla has been on a couple Olympic teams....and it doesn't mean much. Taraves is better, so is Getzlaf

Quote:
-Nash, kind of like Staal, they love him even if the numbers aren't there all the time, he's been thrust on the first line numerous times because of his size and skill, there's no reason to expect anything else this year. Even if he underwhelms this year, he could be a good winger for bergeron on a checking line
Checking winger? Really? Ugh, the Rick Nash myth grows. I think he'll make it based on the fact that everyone thinks he's alot better at everything then he actually is. If you're going to guarantee a winger, Corey Perry makes much more sense, Perry is a better 2-way player as well.

Quote:
-St. Louis, Yzerman is a key component of the selection and his GM, st. louis won the art ross last year, a big ice surface suits his game well, he has the chemistry with stamkos, he's the veteran presence (they always seem to have a guy in his later 30's on the team), and really he deserves to be on the team
He's Very old, and I don't know that he's even at this camp, so that doesn't help.

Quote:
-Doughty, some people question if he'll make it, but he's solid enough defensively and has done enough in the past, that he will be on the team. He's one of the guys that Canada will rely upon for the next 2-3 Olympics... kind of like Eric Staal, even if others may be better options, they'll ride with him.
He's a lock, you don't have to justify it.

Quote:
-Loungo, he was the goalie when they won gold 4 years ago, and he will be the only goalie with any Olympic experience (unless you want to bring in Brodeur or Fleury though I don't think Fleury has seen any action in net), so experience alone he grabs one of the 3 spots (plus it's not like we have a ton of other options either)
He's been far from mentally stable, so who knows how the "return" to Vancouver will affect him. I think he'll make the team, but with the way Canada's goaltending is, I don't name ANY of them as locks, figure the goaltenders out as the season progresses.
Quote:
Kris Letang could easily get the Mike Green treatment. Be one of the best if not the best offensive defenseman in the NHL but be left off the team because of their D zone coverage.
If that's the case, that's stupid, really really really STUPID. If you put Bouwmeester or Hamhuis on the team instead of Letang, that's REALLY STUPID.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:52 AM
Petro Points

vCash: 885
Should there be 'loyalty points' when selecting the roster? .. A player that fans of the nation would cheer harder for\ follow even closer.. IMO they should select a player from each Canadian team just to get a lot more coverage. Talent wise who cares if Nash plays or Evander Kane... but picking Kane over Nash and Eberle over Couture would generate a lot more interest.. Phaneuf ,Subban and Luongo being the other 3 Canadian team deserving members..

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:58 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 688
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloned View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but Team Canada brought in Ralph Krueger as an advisor a few days ago. Something about his experience with big ice.
I heard something a week and half ago, maybe longer. Real odd to be honest.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:32 PM
Toydarian

What really has me scratching my head is that everyone (e.g. TSN) consider Tavares as a virtual lock for Team Canada while Hall is an after thought.

I feel Hall has accomplished just as much at the NHL level as Tavares. Not only that, but Hall brings a lot of valuable skills to Team Canada, ones that not even Tavares can bring.

I don't want to be misinterpreted, I think Tavares is a great player and should be on the Olympic squad. His goal scoring prowess and hockey smarts will make him a valuable contributor. Nevertheless, apart from general ignorance, I don't understand the disconnect.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:32 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
wonder if Canadian Olympic jerseys are due to release in coming days. hope they aren't as ugly as ours or Yanks' ones; someone has to be lucky.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:48 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Despite all of their bluster about skating ability on the big ice Yzerman and his merry group of fools are going to pick a team that can't skate worth ****. I just know it. Big name recognition (RE: players on American based teams) will rule the day.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:43 PM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Despite all of their bluster about skating ability on the big ice Yzerman and his merry group of fools are going to pick a team that can't skate worth ****. I just know it. Big name recognition (RE: players on American based teams) will rule the day.
Yep agree 100%. The russians and americans will skate circles around Canada, and Canada will lose.

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be super pissed off when this team is finally announced this winter.

Last edited by blackwater: 08-27-2013 at 05:49 PM.
blackwater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:46 PM
Lindo

If Kunitz makes it over Hall, or in general, that's gonna be a bad decision.

Lindo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:54 PM
Toydarian

Some have pointed out that Canada has only won gold at North American Olympics (i.e. NHL sized rinks), but weren't the rinks International ice at Salt Lake (2002).

I can't really remember so if someone knows definitively that would be great.

Toydarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post
Some have pointed out that Canada has only won gold at North American Olympics (i.e. NHL sized rinks), but weren't the rinks International ice at Salt Lake (2002).

absolutely.

Comrade Blunderbore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 09:01 PM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
If Kunitz makes it over Hall, or in general, that's gonna be a bad decision.
It's funny how the guys on TSN had Hall listed above all the other LW but didn't even mention his name. Is there like a media ban on the Oilers or something? The guy is one of the top LW in the game and you want Kunitz to play with Crosby instead? Crosby must not be the best player in the world if you are worried he may not have chemistry with anyone but his line mate.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 10:09 PM
40oz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toydarian View Post

It's always going to be a disadvantage. At least you know they're trying to solve that by hiring guys like Krueger.

40oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 10:12 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
It's funny how the guys on TSN had Hall listed above all the other LW but didn't even mention his name. Is there like a media ban on the Oilers or something? The guy is one of the top LW in the game and you want Kunitz to play with Crosby instead? Crosby must not be the best player in the world if you are worried he may not have chemistry with anyone but his line mate.
Hall just needs to tear it up. He has to force the issue.

AlowlyOilersfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Joey Moss
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 226
I don't understand why anyone would leave Hall off of the projected roster. The TSN guys were talking about foot speed the entire clip and didn't even mention him. Logan Couture over Hall? Give me a break. They mention the versatility Couture has that he can play LW.. well Hall is a natural LW. Pierre LeBrun was right about Kunitz as well. Yes he has chemistry with Crosby but don't overthink it. You want the best players available on the team. I'm sure some of the best players in the world are capable of finding chemistry with each other.

Taylor Hall | Sidney Crosby | Jordan Eberle
John Tavares | Steve Stamkos | Martin St.Louis
Eric Staal | Jonathan Toews | Claude Giroux
Brad Marchand | Patrice Bergeron | Rick Nash
Patrick Sharp | Jeff Carter

Duncan Keith | Shea Weber
Jay Bouwmeester | Alex Pietrangelo
Dan Hamhuis | Drew Doughty
Kris Letang

Roberto Luongo
Carey Price
Mike Smith

There's a real team

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:06 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Man this kinda sucks. 20-25 games into 2011-2012 people were talking about all 3 of Hall, Ebs, and Nuge as guys to make Team Canada.

It's going to take one helluva hot start from that line for them to make it at this point.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:07 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
Hall just needs to tear it up. He has to force the issue.
That's exactly what Stamkos did in 2010 - and he still wasn't allowed to make it. Prognosis is poor for these younger guys. There's just too much damn depth.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote