HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Aerchon

vCash: 500
Hope this is BS.

Gagner is a good guy from what i've heard but so was Horcoff.

I am sick of nice guys being leaders of this teams.

I want a guy who will cheap shot someone to get the W.

That's Hall. Or even Ferrance. Pretty much anyone but Gagner.

Old
08-27-2013, 10:58 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
OilersNation is pretty legit, Wayne probably wouldn't risk lying or spreading rumours. Plus he seems to have a couple sources regarding Gagner, he broke out a couple of things during the negotiations.
Wanye doesn't get much respect because he is a silly billy. The guy doesn't throw much out, when he does, it's usually legit.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:01 PM
Asher

Quote:
OilersNation is pretty legit, Wayne probably wouldn't risk lying or spreading rumours. Plus he seems to have a couple sources regarding Gagner, he broke out a couple of things during the negotiations.
Are you saying they would fire Wayne if he wrote false information? I hope you're not getting my hopes up for nothing...

Old
08-27-2013, 11:01 PM
RisingSun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Wanye doesn't get much respect because he is a silly billy. The guy doesn't throw much out, when he does, it's usually legit.
He needs to clean up his act if he wants people to treat him like a big boy.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:04 PM
Lindo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher View Post
Are you saying they would fire Wayne if he wrote false information? I hope you're not getting my hopes up for nothing...
Haha, I'm probably mistaken but doesn't Wanye own the Nation network or something like that?

Old
08-27-2013, 11:12 PM
OneMoreAstronaut
Reduce chainsaw size

vCash: 50
Rofl. Half of this board would blow sky high. On the flip side though, everyone would get to keep some consistency with their scapegoats. That captaincy is a hot-seat.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Gobo
What's Your Issue?

Horcoff 2.0

Ive been saying he'd be a good captain for a while. Happy for him

Old
08-27-2013, 11:22 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

Quote:
He needs to clean up his act if he wants people to treat him like a big boy.
It's people's loss if they don't take him seriously just because he has fun. The guy built a pretty solid entity, he's no slouch.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:23 PM
UnrefinedCrude

If it's true someone needs to take away I Am the Liquor's belt and shoelaces.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:26 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrefinedCrude View Post
If it's true someone needs to take away I Am the Liquor's belt and shoelaces.
Get the IT Crowd gif at the ready.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Oil Change

vCash: 50
I don't know why so many people thought Hall was a lock for C, I thought Gagner was the more logical choice. Some teams are giving the young guys the C right away, and I don't have a problem with that but I think Gagner is a good fit as he's still one of the young guys but also a 6-year veteran with the team.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:29 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

I wouldn't be surprised. Good for him if so. Hall doesn't need the pressure. Gagner is a perfect scapegoat.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:35 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

I would love to see it just because this board would go AWOL.

Really doubt it though, Hall will get the C.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:38 PM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
I wouldn't be surprised. Good for him if so. Hall doesn't need the pressure. Gagner is a perfect scapegoat.
Has pressure ever affected Hall? Doesn't seem like it.

Smith suggesting Moreau, and Moreau suggesting Horcoff makes me think maybe we should NOT listen to Horcoff's opinion on the next captain.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:47 PM
oilinblood

I am ok with this. I go out alot and i got to say ...i wouldnt make Hall captain of the team. The team has to look up to a persons decisions off the ice as well as on it. I dont want Hall being the rolemodel for prospects. Gagner though is alot like Eberle...the guy has become a fitness nut and has always known who pays his bills...and gets a good rest. Never out late, never a dumby.

going out isnt a big deal. going out late when paid 75k a game TO BE IN PERFECT PHYSIcAL CONDITION. yup, big deal.

Old
08-27-2013, 11:49 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
Has pressure ever affected Hall? Doesn't seem like it.

Smith suggesting Moreau, and Moreau suggesting Horcoff makes me think maybe we should NOT listen to Horcoff's opinion on the next captain.
I still dont think the players are the ones who decide, and i also do not think it was moreaus choice for Horc to take over. Most people knew Horc would follow Moreau. You block a puck with your face, intentionally, to win a 1 goal game? captain. you eat the most minutes? you never decline the coach when its your back he taps to get you on the ice? thats a captain. when asked why you blocked the shot with your face you answer...i lost the draw and it was the quickest body part to get in front of the shot.

players arent tards. they play for people and want teammates who are solely focussed on the long work at hand. Thats the difference between losers and winners. There is no "off time" in pro sports. you are paid to not have off time. mature...and know it. When hall takes the profession seriously and stops being a kid and bloacks a shot with his face ill nominate him...until then im sure some avenue places will be happy to have him as their celebrity captain.

as an oiler fan im disgusted at the guy.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-28-2013 at 12:05 AM.
Old
08-28-2013, 12:03 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I am ok with this. I go out alot and i got to say ...i wouldnt make Hall captain of the team. The team has to look up to a persons decisions off the ice as well as on it. I dont want Hall being the rolemodel for prospects. Gagner though is alot like Eberle...the guy has become a fitness nut and has always known who pays his bills...and gets a good rest. Never out late, never a dumby.

going out isnt a big deal. going out late when paid 75k a game TO BE IN PERFECT PHYSIcAL CONDITION. yup, big deal.
Wait so sorry, you're saying Hall is too much of a party boy to play captain? OK chief. Smh.

Edit: I don't think Sam should be the captain, I'd rather have Hall or Ference, but it wouldn't be the worst decision ever.

Just surprised Eakins would already have decided before training camp.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:10 AM
Arpeggio

Gagner was my guess. I don't think any of the other young guys want the captaincy.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:10 AM
T-Funk

vCash: 1020
I like this fantasy land where Hall goes clubbing every night, but all of his hockey buddies are at home asleep at 9 pm

Old
08-28-2013, 12:13 AM
Arpeggio

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
I like this fantasy land where Hall goes clubbing every night, but all of his hockey buddies are at home asleep at 9 pm
Word gets around in this city. People know who's out the most. Not that I think we as fans have any right to judge or care.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:20 AM
Philly85
Moody'

He's toned it way down though. And I see him really coming into his own in interviews, with the fat new contract and such, with all the stakes so high. I seriously wouldn't worry virtually whatsoever about his penchant for going out and having fun. I think a new realization and level of maturity is going to be seen by Hall. I think he should still get the C. That being said, if Gags gets it I wouldn't say that's a bad choice at all.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:21 AM
SDig14

It's pretty much void of all logic IMO. He's not necessarily a bad pick as far as leadership perhaps, but it makes no sense that someone like this source would have this information.

Last year, Hall and Eberle were given letters, yet Gagner is going to leapfrog both and be the next captain?

On top of that, we name a new coach and he is going to name a captain before camp even starts, meets any of the kids or sees how they act in the room? And then he's going to break the story through a random blogger? Doesn't seem to make any sense at all.

Not much downside for him though, if and when it doesn't happen he can just say "oh, coach had final say and changed his mind".

For me though, it would all but guarantee Gagner would he traded since that's what happens to our captains, so I'm fine with handing him the C....

Old
08-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Qrispy

So, a guy who's near the top of the trade list is going to be made captain? Pretty ridiculous imo. He'll need to have an incredible season for me to believe otherwise.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:27 AM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
He's toned it way down though. And I see him really coming into his own in interviews, with the fat new contract and such, with all the stakes so high. I seriously wouldn't worry virtually whatsoever about his penchant for going out and having fun. I think a new realization and level of maturity is going to be seen by Hall. I think he should still get the C. That being said, if Gags gets it I wouldn't say that's a bad choice at all.
Going out and partying too much is an issue when you're not playing well IMO.

But when he's your best player that drives your offense night in and night out? Well, then my question is what is everyone else's excuse?

I didn't realize having a life and having fun was such a cause for concern.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:30 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

I'd prefer Hall, but wouldn't mind Gagner.

Closed Thread