HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Offseason: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 01:09 AM
LarsEller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avim86 View Post
Not a movie but Archer , one of the best animated shows on tv right now.
Can't wait for season 5 to start.
Damm you tinnitus!

Old
08-28-2013, 01:16 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
also: breaking bad is better than the Wire. yeah, i went there :comeatmebro:
The Wire was an incredible show. You can't really compare the two as The Wire was based in reality and plausible scenarios much more than Breaking Bad is.

I thoroughly enjoy both of them but Breaking Bad seems like more of a guilty indulgence.....perhaps a little more low brow than The Wire. There is no doubt that Breaking Bad appeals to a wider demographic due elements in the show that appear to be there in order to reel in the Simpletons but the show as a whole is still very entertaining.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:53 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
The Wire was an incredible show. You can't really compare the two as The Wire was based in reality and plausible scenarios much more than Breaking Bad is.

I thoroughly enjoy both of them but Breaking Bad seems like more of a guilty indulgence.....perhaps a little more low brow than The Wire. There is no doubt that Breaking Bad appeals to a wider demographic due elements in the show that appear to be there in order to reel in the Simpletons but the show as a whole is still very entertaining.
i am still confused all to hell at how the wire did not get a wider audience than it did, it was a commercial bomb, well, maybe not a commercial bomb, but not many people watched it. being HBO doesn't help for sure in reaching a wider audience, but he biggest reason i think is it was also way ahead of it's time in it's format. every episode is a chapter in a larger episode, other called a season. there is no episodic arcs, just one giant 10+ hour movie essentially.

now, breaking bad is getting lip service from everyone everywhere because it's doing exactly just that

the one reason why i say that i think breaking bad is better than the wire is that from episode 1 of the wire until the last episode, i knew exactly what was gonna happen. they'll want a warrant, they won't get it, politics will get in the way, they'll get some half-assed warrant, they'll do illegal-ish things, win some, lose most, and all the while, the game keeps going on. the eventuality of everything i found depressing and predictable. i know that was exactly the point and in a way that's why it was so good, so realistic, but this bring me to the exact reasons why i preferred breaking bad.

visually, it's a stunning work of art the way some scenes are set in the same way a old master would compose his paintings. the latest example i can think of was just last episode, when jesse is waiting for the van, he is standing in front of what i can guess is a desert barrier of sorts, with every jutting piece of concrete looking like a tombstones, the weight of every death jesse has directly or indirectly been involved in.

especially in the latter seasons, visually it's packed of visual allegories.

and besides the story being being told in a tight and controlled manner (i started watching season 1 for ***** and giggles and there are tons, and i mean tons, of hints of what's to come if you pay attention), the character development of walt and jesse is second to none. im not generally prone to hyperbole, but here goes: i don't think there has ever been, in the history of television a character as multi-layered, as believably human and flawed as walter white. the problem is the other characters have almost no development to speak of. walt's kid might as well not be there, he only serves to remind us that this incredibly talented, nobel laureate, has a tough life. and his wife, i don't know, she annoys the bejesus out of me. i still think she'll be important near the end. like shoot walt or take over his business lol

but you are correct, it's not really fair to compare the two of them as one is a work of fiction and the other isn't really

and for what it's worth, breaking bad start to become ridiculously good from season 4 onwards imo. that's when he becomes Heisenberg.

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 08-28-2013 at 02:02 AM.
Old
08-28-2013, 01:57 AM
DAChampion

Quote:

A lot of people rate The Wire as the greatest show ever made. It's certainly the greatest show I've been through.

As such, for me, "X is not as good as The Wire" is not a legitimate or interesting criticism.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:58 AM
DAChampion

Quote:
the one reason why i say that i think breaking bad is better than the wire is that from episode 1 of the wire until the last episode, i knew exactly what was gonna happen. they'll want a warrant, they won't get it, politics will get in the way, they'll get some half-assed warrant, they'll do illegal-ish things, win some, lose most, and all the while, the game keeps going on. the eventuality of everything i found depressing and predictable. i know that was exactly the point and in a way that's why it was so good, so realistic, but this bring me to the exact reasons why i preferred breaking bad.
The Wire was predictable?

Can you go through the cast of the first episode and guess who lives, who dies, who kills, who comes out a winner, etc?

Old
08-28-2013, 02:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Can you go through the cast of the first episode and guess who lives, who dies, who kills, who comes out a winner, etc?
yeah, i thought it was predictable.

if you haven't seen the wire, don't read my post...

i knew mcnulty was gonna get sacked eventually. was there ever something more predictable than mcnulty. really?
omar was gonna get shot. didn't see it coming when it happened though. wow. i was like that's ****ed up
barksdale's organization was gonna get dismantled
d'angelo jail or shot (turns out it was both. didn't see that coming)
i knew stringer was gonna get killed, but in the awesome way that he did get killed
cedric i knew would eventually come out on top instead of those two lard-***** burrell and the other idiot, rawls
bodie. did not see that coming. that shocked me
i was iffy on whether the greeks would ever get caught, gut feeling said they weren't but wouldn't have been shocked had it gone the other way
i knew clay davis was gonna get caught
marlo was the only one that really threw me off because he didn't play the game the same way everybody else was. he played it his own way. i actually thought he never would get caught. which ended up sorta right i guess
i knew bubbles would get clean

the other ones i can't remember or they play the game the right way, don't step on too many toes, so you know they're still gonna be there at the end

i never, ever, foreseeing anything that's gonna happen on tv shows or movies unless it's ridiculously so easy to see; im just along for the ride. but my bigger point is not "oh yeah, i knew everything that was gonna happen to every character", my point was the there is always an air of inevitability when it concerns the wire's characters and the plots. the politicians are gonna **** everything up, the overly-crooked will get caught, the not so overly crooked will stick around. the good cop will lose, those who play the game will not, but they won't win either. the streets: everybody loses (which is what made marlo so fascinating), but there's money to be made, so it's just a meat grinder. one guy goes away, he's immediately replaced by another. everything is a cycle and that's what i found predictable and a little depressing. predictable doesn't mean boring. it's just an accurate description of... of life really. that's the way it is

Last edited by MasterDecoy: 08-28-2013 at 03:53 AM. Reason: confused avon for stringer....
Old
08-28-2013, 07:21 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post

Breaking Bad has been far more predictable and formulaic than The Wire. As a matter of fact I would say that Breaking Bad's predictability is a large reason for it's widespread appeal. Everyone knew Hank would find out about Walter and everyone knew that Walter's cancer would be back. All of the major supporting characters of the protagonist are still alive while all of the murders where obvious to everyone that they were in the making. All of the main characters from the first season have made it to the final season. This provides the comfort that the average viewer likes and the reason that they flock to summer blockbusters. It is the entertaining way that BB connects the obvious dots that reels the rest of the viewers in.

Like I said, I love both shows but BB is much more of a guilty indulgence as it truly is lowbrow in relation to The Wire.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:40 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
also: breaking bad is better than the Wire. yeah, i went there :comeatmebro:
This. Breaking Bad is way much better than the Wire. The only 2 good characters in the Wire were Stringer Bell and Omar and they were played by the 2 best actors on the show.

I am probably in a small minority, but for me, the Wire was a very average show and the acting and the action in Breaking Bad is so much better.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:02 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario Lemieux fan 66 View Post
This. Breaking Bad is way much better than the Wire.
oh come on now, it's not way much better...

Quote:
I am probably in a small minority, but for me, the Wire was a very average show
yes you are

Old
08-28-2013, 08:24 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Speaking of x beats y nothing touches Sons of Anarchy right now.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:31 AM
Mario Lemieux fan 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Speaking of x beats y nothing touches Sons of Anarchy right now.
I strongly disagree. I had high hope after the first season but after that, it's useless drama scene after useless drama scene. Too much Gemma and not enough action.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:45 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I strongly disagree. I had high hope after the first season but after that, it's useless drama scene after useless drama scene. Too much Gemma and not enough action.
Sorry, this is the one series that gets better. They had one hiccup I think in season 3 when they went over to Northern Ireland for a while and it just dragged on, but the rest has been very good.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

for the Argo critics like me:

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment...e_at_tiff.html

Old
08-28-2013, 09:05 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Hey, cut out the spoilers people. Or at the very least, warn people before your post.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Andy

I feel like I'm running out of movies to watch. Doesn't help that I limit the types of films I like to see. I hate watching depressing and horror movies. I'm running out of good Thrillers, Action, Adventure and Sci-Fi movies to watch.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:22 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I feel like I'm running out of movies to watch. Doesn't help that I limit the types of films I like to see. I hate watching depressing and horror movies. I'm running out of good Thrillers, Action, Adventure and Sci-Fi movies to watch.
I can relate to that. While I can totally appreciate the artistry that goes into making a 'depressing movie', it's just better for me that I don't .

As for horror, well, not many 'real' horror movies being made. I could never stand slasher movies, but that's different.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:45 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I feel the same about SOA.

It is a dummied down Sopranos that was entertaining at first but I don't find the characters believable and the story lines are very amateur feeling.

It does have it's moments but it leaves me rolling my eyes just as often.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:58 AM
uiCk
GrEmelins

TV Shows are basically Soap Operas that are being marketed to a bigger audience, including previously untapped male audience. What you guys call "character development" i call "i didn't have enough substance to do this show, so i'm going to fill that with character development". It's cheap tactic to get viewers to come back to watch next ep. Kinda like GoT is doing; cheap 'gossip', backstabing, and 'what will happen to charcter x, omgomg!"

The wire was notch above all TV Shows because it actually had substance, from the specifics of Drug game, to the politics , to how police department works etc.
Though i would say that applies to first 2 seasons, as the rest are bit repetitive, less substance further down the road, and not very interesting theme of "running for office"

IMO TV shows suck, lets keep this about movies ^^

As for Horror flick, i just watch De Palma's The Fury with Kirk Douglas couple days ago, and was fairly entertaining.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0077588/
Might please Andy since it's categorized as Drama/Horror/Sc Fi

Old
08-28-2013, 12:35 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
I feel the same about SOA.

It is a dummied down Sopranos that was entertaining at first but I don't find the characters believable and the story lines are very amateur feeling.

It does have it's moments but it leaves me rolling my eyes just as often.
Maybe it's my guilty pleasure, or maybe it's the one show my wife and I can agree on. I guess the trade-off is she gets to see some bad boy eye-candy and I get some vigilante justice now and then.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
TV Shows are basically Soap Operas that are being marketed to a bigger audience, including previously untapped male audience. What you guys call "character development" i call "i didn't have enough substance to do this show, so i'm going to fill that with character development". It's cheap tactic to get viewers to come back to watch next ep. Kinda like GoT is doing; cheap 'gossip', backstabing, and 'what will happen to charcter x, omgomg!"

The wire was notch above all TV Shows because it actually had substance, from the specifics of Drug game, to the politics , to how police department works etc.
Though i would say that applies to first 2 seasons, as the rest are bit repetitive, less substance further down the road, and not very interesting theme of "running for office"

As for Horror flick, i just watch De Palma's The Fury with Kirk Douglas couple days ago, and was fairly entertaining.
What about Oz? Did you like that show?

Quote:
Maybe it's my guilty pleasure, or maybe it's the one show my wife and I can agree on. I guess the trade-off is she gets to see some bad boy eye-candy and I get some vigilante justice now and then.
Fair enough.......beats the **** out of Gilmore Girls, Desperate Housewives etc.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:39 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
What about Oz? Did you like that show?

Haven't watch it, though has been recommend to me a few times, thx for reminding me ^^

Old
08-28-2013, 02:03 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
Sorry, this is the one series that gets better. They had one hiccup I think in season 3 when they went over to Northern Ireland for a while and it just dragged on, but the rest has been very good.
I agree with you.

I couldn't even finish season 3, and never did.

But I went and continued to season 4 anyway when it started and thank GOD I did because that's when **** gets real. Akin to Walter turning into Heisenberg, that's when Jax turns stone cold, takes over the MC, and has a lot of big decisions to make.

That show is really in about one mans inner struggle to keep it together and not turn into an evil sadist. It's pretty interesting for me to watch and the 'action' is a bonus.

Pope (season 4 or 5) is actually the narrator from Oz and one of the baddies and Danny Trejo also enters the fold after that terrible third season.

Last edited by poetryinmotion: 08-28-2013 at 02:13 PM.
Old
08-28-2013, 02:10 PM
Lshap

Quote:

Man, you are living in Opposite World. Today's TV dramas kick the crap out of most films, precisely because the characters are so much better developed than the cardboard cliches onscreen. Criticizing character development is like criticizing wheels on a car -- you can't move forward without them.

In fact, I'll say that thanks to HBO and AMC, there are better writers creating better stories with better actors using better cinematography than we've ever seen in the history of television. And that's because without the limits of censorship, these classic shows have been able to conceive and develop the most riveting characters of our time. Iconic characters like Tony Soprano and Walter White, brilliant ensemble casts like Oz and Game of Thrones could not have existed in the one-off world of films. They needed the multiple episodes of TV to come alive and grow. In that respect, TV has become our electronic version of the novel, leaving film for the short attention span crowd who prefers magazine articles or comics.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:21 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Man, you are living in Opposite World. Today's TV dramas kick the crap out of most films, precisely because the characters are so much better developed than the cardboard cliches onscreen. Criticizing character development is like criticizing wheels on a car -- you can't move forward without them.

In fact, I'll say that thanks to HBO and AMC, there are better writers creating better stories with better actors using better cinematography than we've ever seen in the history of television. And that's because without the limits of censorship, these classic shows have been able to conceive and develop the most riveting characters of our time. Iconic characters like Tony Soprano and Walter White, brilliant ensemble casts like Oz and Game of Thrones could not have existed in the one-off world of films. They needed the multiple episodes of TV to come alive and grow. In that respect, TV has become our electronic version of the novel, leaving film for the short attention span crowd who prefers magazine articles or comics.
Nope don't agree on absolutely anything here, especially the last part; TV shows are targeted for ADD population (more or less population that doesn't have time for sitting down for 1h +). that's why they last 23-47 min each, because most people don't have long attention span nor the time. You got an intro(or recap), climax and conclusion within 23 min, rinse and repeat for another 5 years. They are built so you are always intrigued of "whats going to happen next?".
Anyways, that'll be my last comment on that subject, since fanboyism for TV shows is out of control, ill wait a few years befor we can all laugh back at how stupid some things were, like when everyone was saying that the Matrix (the first one) is best movie ever made; watching Matrix now is "LOL wtf was i thinking, will be forever forgotten in film history".

edit: actually do agree with one thing, that TV shows have been "much better" since the past, but that doesn't say much imo. Doubt there are any current TV shows that will triumph over the writing of The Simpsons in its golden era, or Seinfeld.

Last edited by uiCk: 08-28-2013 at 03:30 PM.
Old
08-28-2013, 04:09 PM
poetryinmotion

Quote:
edit: actually do agree with one thing, that TV shows have been "much better" since the past, but that doesn't say much imo. Doubt there are any current TV shows that will triumph over the writing of The Simpsons in its golden era, or Seinfeld.
I like Curb Your Enthousiasm better than Sienfeld. Same show just more evolved.

And Family Guy or even Archer (hell I'll even thrown in The Venture Brothers in for good measure) easily beats The Simpsons even though I grew up with it. HM: South Park

Closed Thread