HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 01:36 AM
Joey Moss

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trafalgar Law View Post
I'd prefer Hall, but wouldn't mind Gagner.
Pretty much my thoughts. You're making a big commitment to Gagner if you want to make him captain. A lot of the fan base wants him gone already mainly because of the size concern down the middle. It's a legitimate concern too. At the same time he's got a lot of heart and leadership.

1. Hall
2. Smid
3. Gagner

That would be my preferred top 3 in order.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:37 AM
T-Funk

Gagner doesn't party enough for my liking.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:42 AM
CantHaveTkachev
not allowed!

I'm guessing Wanye found out since cause a little birdie told him Horc recommended Gagner for captaincy

I'd rather it be Hall but I love Gagner so he's a great choice too

Old
08-28-2013, 01:44 AM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
Gagner was amazing last year, but I'm not sure he should be captain unless Mac-T wasn't to commit to having him in Edmonton for the entirety of his contract.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:44 AM
nullterm

vCash: 800
When I first read it, I was taken a back. But the longer I think on it, it makes perfect sense. He's more veteran and mature than Hall, Eberle, Nuge.

Why worry about breaking one of the kids with too much pressure when you can give the C to a guy who has already ridden the media, fan, coach rollercoaster from future 1st line center to 4th line and back again.

And he drops the mitts to show he's willing to stand up for himself and his team.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:50 AM
SDig14

Gagner is definitely a mix of both young offensive player and a veteran, but he's not the best of either.

If you want a veteran leader, give it to Ference who wore a letter on a cup winner in the past and seems to want the role of being leader of the team.

If you want to give it to your young player that takes over games single handedly and seemingly will do anything to win, give it to Hall.

I think it's a moot point because I think lots will depend on Eakins interacting with guys in camp and in preseason.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
I am ok with this. I go out alot and i got to say ...i wouldnt make Hall captain of the team. The team has to look up to a persons decisions off the ice as well as on it. I dont want Hall being the rolemodel for prospects. Gagner though is alot like Eberle...the guy has become a fitness nut and has always known who pays his bills...and gets a good rest. Never out late, never a dumby.

going out isnt a big deal. going out late when paid 75k a game TO BE IN PERFECT PHYSIcAL CONDITION. yup, big deal.
Gretzky was a bad captain then? My dad told me stories that he went partying down whyte and saw Messier and Gretzky getting hammered a few times.

Who cares what Hall does off ice... going out and picking woman up and stuff, thats what many young men like myself do (although responsibly). Its not like he's beating up taxi drivers or anything.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:15 AM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
So, a guy who's near the top of the trade list is going to be made captain? Pretty ridiculous imo. He'll need to have an incredible season for me to believe otherwise.
Or the top of some fans trade list... Management seems to think differently.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:25 AM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
I'm a little conflicted. I agree with Gagner being named Captain, but I'd be happier if Hall had the C placed on his chest. It's his team. Give it to him.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
Gagner was my guess. I don't think any of the other young guys want the captaincy.
Was it with you I was guessing this a month or two ago? Seems like it. He has the right qualities.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:48 AM
s7ark
TheWorstEver

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
So, a guy who's near the top of the trade list is going to be made captain? Pretty ridiculous imo. He'll need to have an incredible season for me to believe otherwise.
The fans trade list isn't the same as managements trade list. Gagner may be crap to many on HF, but MacT was always upfront about seeing Gagner as a core guy going forward. He's got the most experience out of any of the young guys and appears to be well liked by the players. I thought it would be Hall because he's the obvious on ice leader, but I can see the argument for Gagner.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:17 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
I could see him being captain. It's crazy that he already has played over 400 games at the NHL level and he's only 24. From Mac T's comments about Gagner, it would make sense that he would be the next captain.

I don't think naming the captain is all Eakins decision in that he'll get input from other people in the organisation. He can only find out so much without actually playing a regular season with the players he has.

Why not give Hall or Ebs that extra time before handing either of them the captaincy?

Old
08-28-2013, 03:21 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I can't imagine a scenario where Sam Gagner is the first guy lifting the cup when a team wins the Stanley Cup. It just doesn't register as sensible in my head.

Give Hall the C - it's more than just the "sexy" choice.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:43 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
I can't imagine a scenario where Sam Gagner is the first guy lifting the cup when a team wins the Stanley Cup.
Imagine harder.

Really the only two sensible choices are Gagner and Smid.
Ference (in addition to never having played a game for the Oil) is a bit long in the tooth, and Hall doesn't need the pressure of the C.

Tough year for Gagner haters .... kid puts up an extremely solid (half) season, gets a fat new deal and now maybe the C too.
Watch him really light it up next year with Yak and Perron. I predict crickets on the board.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:04 AM
Timo

It makes sense.

Gags is a gym/health nut, so Eakins will appreciate that.

He's the oldest of the kids and he's got a good head on him.

I prefer Hall, but I'm happy Gagner.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:24 AM
The Human Torch

Send a message via MSN to The Human Torch
I can personally attest to the fact that Wanye is both hella connected and an awesome person to party down with.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:32 AM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

i'd be happy with it.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:01 AM
oilers83

Theres a couple of signs kinda leading the other way for me.

1. When MacT said the there were only six untouchable assets but would refuse to state that Gagner was one of them

2. The 3 year deal when the rumors, i know, stated that Gagner was pretty adamant about a five year deal, wouldn't you want to look up your 23 yo captain for a definite length of time?

3. NMC in only the second year of the deal, again the commitment seems odd when your dealing with the future captain?

4. Why have they decided already?

Why are they taking advice from out going players on the future of the team to begin with?

Old
08-28-2013, 05:44 AM
alphahelix

the Oilers believe that Captains have increased trade value over what it would be were they not Captains. They have proven their theory correct in the past. They like to name players captain and then trade them for picks within the next few years. Sam's NTC expires in perfect timing to ship him out and name another player Captain in preparation for offloading said player.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:57 AM
USC Trojans
I have a plan.

I don't mind the decision if it's true.
Gagner works his tail off in the gym...seems like an Eakins kind of guy.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:00 AM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

wouldnt be surprised to see gags as 1c next year with the C. Fitting, lets give him a chance. hes shown flashes of intense brilliance.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:04 AM
LPH
[hello] :)

Interesting to say the least (from an outsiders viewpoint), although I do really like Gagner. Thought it would be Hall

Old
08-28-2013, 07:49 AM
CorpseFX

F- to this move.

Hall stirs this teams pot. there is no doubt about that. such a massive slap in the face. management is trying to be unorthodox and "Cute" with all their stupid analysis. its getting really tiresome and annoying.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:50 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorpseFX View Post
F- to this move.

Hall stirs this teams pot. there is no doubt about that. such a massive slap in the face. management is trying to be unorthodox and "Cute" with all their stupid analysis.
Pretty sure if someone else is getting the C it's because Hall doesn't want the burden just yet.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:00 AM
CorpseFX

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
Tough year for Gagner haters .... kid puts up an extremely solid (half) season, gets a fat new deal and now maybe the C too.
Watch him really light it up next year with Yak and Perron. I predict crickets on the board.
i predict the other two players will do the real work on the line just like all of Gagner's points in general and you people will bloat him up while he continues to suck at D, faceoffs, and has the hands of a wizard but not enough speed, size or ability to make them worth a crap. he's a vulture and always has been.

this team is just spinning its wheels with bad decisions over and over again. it use to be bad enough where the talent was so D-Class that they had to put them into positions of leadership - offensively, or for morale. now theyre just trying to be cute with crap when they have Hall - a true beast that plays balls out every shift, rips up the opposition and truly stirs the pot for any success...

and they give the C to Ganger based on some flimsy turd arguments of "he is older. he likes the gym. he put up some good vulture points for a month or so. he has a tight GF yo. he fought a dude once or twice where he could of had his face bashed in but guys went easy on him. he put up a bunch of points once in a game."

sick arguments for a team captain.

Closed Thread