HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Listening to 97.5

Old
07-02-2013, 03:25 PM
Giroux It
Rookie User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Against better judgment, I decided to tune in to 97.5 on my way home today. They were talking hockey (I was shocked). The first caller made me want to drive off a bridge. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he pretty much said he hated the Carter trade because we traded away another young player...and Missanelli didn't even mention the great, and young return we got from that trade. Some fans
Why torture yourself?!?! Avoid Sports "Talk" radio at all costs lol

Giroux It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:32 PM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Against better judgment, I decided to tune in to 97.5 on my way home today. They were talking hockey (I was shocked). The first caller made me want to drive off a bridge. I don't remember exactly what he said, but he pretty much said he hated the Carter trade because we traded away another young player...and Missanelli didn't even mention the great, and young return we got from that trade. Some fans
Most morons get all ticked off because they'll say that Holmgren traded Carter & Richards to LA to help build a cup team. Forgetting completely that Carter was traded to Columbus.

Hiesenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 03:39 PM
Curufinwe

Are there any good NHL podcasts out there?

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-02-2013, 07:17 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

I was listening to it on the way home. It was a Flyer's fan bashathon. For whatever reason, they were being spoken about (the fans in particular). They were called "stupid", Mike Miss read an email about how hockey fans are "racist" laughed, and then disagreed with it.

Then he praised the hell out of an Islanders fan for knowing a lot of old players, who at the end, when asked for an old Italian Islander player said, no BS: "Zykov." He also heaped praise upon this fan who stated that fighting was dumb and the Broad Street Bullies were good because they were skilled and fighting wasn't their focus.

Total BS. That's part of how they played the game. Smack you in the mouth, kick your ass, and score on you. This guy was honestly trying to separate those ideas, while ignoring others, and Mike Miss just egged him on and agreed.

Zykov. The Italian.

I'm done with it.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:04 AM
lancer247

I was the very first caller today (I wasn't the guy that talked about the Carter trade). I never call in but I knew it was going to be a flyer's fan bash-a-thon. I mainly wanted to call Miss on being a hypercrite. He bashes the national media for using old clichés to type cast the Philly fans but he does the same thing bout the Flyers fans. Goons, goons, goons. Fight, fight , fight.

The ****** bashes hockey for fighting (that's fine, to each his own)
but admittedly loves bench clearers in baseball.

I couldn't hang around to listen to the show but I am sure I know how it turned out.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:12 AM
JustJim

Mostly what those aholes in the Philadelphia sports media like to talk about endlessly is their lousy, overrated, yet beloved football team. I hate that team!
I'm actually glad they don't discuss hockey, because they don't understand it in the slightest sense.
**** football, basketball, and baseball!!
I'm all about hockey, the best game ever!!

JustJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 12:24 AM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
Mostly what those aholes in the Philadelphia sports media like to talk about endlessly is their lousy, overrated, yet beloved football team. I hate that team!
I'm actually glad they don't discuss hockey, because they don't understand it in the slightest sense.
I love all the sports team but you are right. They give the Eagles a pass on Namde Asoumugh (sp) by saying they couldn't known he would be a bust but hammer the Flyers on the Bryz signing.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:26 AM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJim View Post
I agree, I only can listen on-line and no matter what time of year it is all they talk about
is the bloody Eagles.

If you want to hear Hockey talk listen to one of the TSN Team Canadian stations.

OzFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:34 PM
Go For It

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I love all the sports team but you are right. They give the Eagles a pass on Namde Asoumugh (sp) by saying they couldn't known he would be a bust but hammer the Flyers on the Bryz signing.
Who gave the Eagles a pass on Nnamdi?

Go For It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 03:36 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go For It View Post
Who gave the Eagles a pass on Nnamdi?
Seems to me most people are giving the Eagles a pass on signing him, but not giving Nnamdi a pass for blowing. People are getting on Holmgren for signing Bryz and Bryz himself. That's where I see the difference.

07-03-2013, 04:07 PM
whatthef
Failure is an Option

I think one of the main reason there is so little hockey talk on those stations is because most real hockey fans won't both calling in. Why would I call in to ask the opinion of someone on something I almost certainly know more than them about?

What does piss me off is when I listen on occasion sometimes I here them (both callers and hosts) say that Flyers fans are blind followers and never criticize the Flyers (obviously they've never been to HFboards, but it seems pretty clear almost no one on here would ever call in). Using things like fact that the Flyers sell out pretty much ever game as their evidence.

whatthef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 04:24 PM
Sniped
Snowballs at Santa

All i hear about is the Phillies, and their struggles. I just turn it off and pump some music.

I hate sports radio in the summer, especially.

Sniped is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2013, 05:23 PM
HartsyMania
What, me worry?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
Are there any good NHL podcasts out there?
Puck Podcast is great, but they are based out of LA so spend a lot of time talking about the Western Conference.

HartsyMania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:10 PM
The Couturier Effect

...I did it again Today some caller said he loves Missanelli because he tells it like it is or something like that. Then he said he was looking forward to him "going off on the Flyers Kool-Aid drinkers" . Then Missanelli chimed in and said he thinks the Flyers are in an "OK spot". I guess I should consider that a compliment since it came from Mikey Miss, but I think most Flyers fans would say the team is in a pretty good spot...especially after the whole Bryz debacle.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:15 PM
flyershockey

Quote:
...I did it again Today some caller said he loves Missanelli because he tells it like it is or something like that. Then he said he was looking forward to him "going off on the Flyers Kool-Aid drinkers" . Then Missanelli chimed in and said he thinks the Flyers are in an "OK spot". I guess I should consider that a compliment since it came from Mikey Miss, but I think most Flyers fans would say the team is in a pretty good spot...especially after the whole Bryz debacle.
I wonder when Missanelli will be run out of town again. He's the Colin Cowherd of Philly sports radio, he just goes against consensus opinion to get people reacting.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:17 PM
Flying

i'm pretty sure i played double A baseball when i was younger (much younger) and Phil from Mt Airy was my coach.

we didn't do too good that year.

edit: i googled it and he definitely was my coach years ago

small world

Flying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:20 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying View Post
i'm pretty sure i played double A baseball when i was younger (much younger) and Phil from Mt Airy was my coach.

we didn't do too good that year.

edit: i googled it and he definitely was my coach years ago

small world
That guy is terrible, good way to lose some brain cells by listening to his drivel.

Although he's totally oblivious to anything I do get a nice laugh when Bernie from Broomall calls in.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:03 AM
ihatebraydenschenn

Phil from Mt Airy sounds like Chris Rock.

ihatebraydenschenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:17 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Sports radio in this city as a whole is garbage.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 10:30 AM
dawkins121

Quote:
Meh, I think "OK spot" is a pretty fair term for where the Flyers are right now. Lot's of things to be excited about like the offense and our younger players. Lot's of things that are worrying like our goaltending situation and the the limitations of our defense.

If there are some nice developments this year (Gus stepping his game up so that losing Timonen isn't so costly, one of Emery/Mason establishing themselves as a solid starter, noticeable growth from Couturier and Schenn) then we could definitely be in a very good place.

If a few things don't go our way (Schenn and Couturier stagnate, Timonen retires while Gus and Coburn are underwhelming and we are stuck with a patchwork defense with Morin/Hagg/Ghost being years away, Streit and Lecavalier lose a step and become burdens going forward) then we could also be in a very mediocre place.

I would be hesitant to call this team either rising or falling. There are too many wild cards and questions that came out of the lockout shortened season to get a real sense of how close this team is to contention, so I think "OK spot" with a hint of cautious optimism is a pretty good description.

dawkins121 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Originally Posted by galvo View Post
Phil from Mt Airy sounds like Chris Rock.
I was flipping through the stations and stopped for a moment on a Saturday. Phil from Mt. Airy, who I am actually reasonably okay with, said that RG3 is the best player in the NFL.

I can think of better.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 03:07 PM
paradoxium

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Sports radio everywhere isn't very good and it's really hard to find any decent hockey talk in the US.

paradoxium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 03:45 PM
flyershockey

Steve Czaban is the only good sports talk guy on the radio. The rest all take themselves way too seriously. SVP is good, but he has a tendency to get rantish.

flyershockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:23 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Radio in general in Philly is awful. Check out 93.3 some time. You will get a steady diet of Billy Squire and REO Speedwagon. Total garbage.

Once you're about 30 miles north or south of Philly start hitting scan - music from post 2010. There's even some south Jersey station that plays nothing but metal on Fridays or something like that.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:24 AM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxium View Post
Sports radio everywhere isn't very good and it's really hard to find any decent hockey talk in the US.
The XM NHL channel is ok - except when they try to be funny and it turns out they're just Canadian.

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote