HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

3rd Annual Ranger Elimination Game

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-27-2013, 03:30 PM
  #751
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Yes. "Heart and soul" is nice, but it doesn't make him more important than any of these players who, on the whole, are much, much better hockey players
Ironically, I think that describes Girardi better than Callahan

__________________


DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:31 PM
  #752
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,784
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Ironically, I think that describes Girardi better than Callahan
It describes both of them, IMO. Although, if I had to choose, I'd take G over Callahan. More durable and he's actually a top-4 RH D.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:02 PM
  #753
Dactyl
Registered User
 
Dactyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 7,218
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
It describes both of them, IMO. Although, if I had to choose, I'd take G over Callahan. More durable and he's actually a top-4 RH D.
callahan is a top 6 RW. callahan is a more skilled player than girardi.

Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:08 PM
  #754
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,837
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
callahan is a top 6 RW. callahan is a more skilled player than girardi.
This is the problem with vague classifications like heart and soul. They can be defined a billion different ways.

__________________
Rangers Unlimited
Hockey Graphs
Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  #755
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,784
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dactyl View Post
callahan is a top 6 RW. callahan is a more skilled player than girardi.
There's plenty of players in our system who have the potential to fill the role of 2nd line RW, ones who will likely be better ES producers than Callahan (Fast, Hrivik, Kristo). Callahan is also going to command a HUGE salary for a player of his actual calibre. He's not as good as Dustin Brown. He simply isn't. And on the market, people are going to treat him as such. I'm not interested in paying a mediocre ES player an upwards of $6M per.

Girardi, on the other hand, is not likely to be replaced by anyone in the system. There's McIlrath, but I think he takes Stralman's spot more than anything. He's right handed, decently productive for a very good defensive player, and, unlike Callahan, is both a warrior and durable.

I realize my opinions of Callahan aren't very common from a Rangers fan, it's just how I feel. I think his actual capabilities as a player are massively overstated.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:38 PM
  #756
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
There's plenty of players in our system who have the potential to fill the role of 2nd line RW, ones who will likely be better ES producers than Callahan (Fast, Hrivik, Kristo). Callahan is also going to command a HUGE salary for a player of his actual calibre. He's not as good as Dustin Brown. He simply isn't. And on the market, people are going to treat him as such. I'm not interested in paying a mediocre ES player an upwards of $6M per.

Girardi, on the other hand, is not likely to be replaced by anyone in the system. There's McIlrath, but I think he takes Stralman's spot more than anything. He's right handed, decently productive for a very good defensive player, and, unlike Callahan, is both a warrior and durable.

I realize my opinions of Callahan aren't very common from a Rangers fan, it's just how I feel. I think his actual capabilities as a player are massively overstated.
If any of Fast, Hrivik, or Kristo twice produce a 29 goal pace at the NHL level I'll shave my legs.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:39 PM
  #757
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,784
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
If any of Fast, Hrivik, or Kristo twice produce a 29 goal pace at the NHL level I'll shave my legs.
I said even strength production.

Besides, I don't see how one of those players producing at a decent top-6 pace is anything ridiculous.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:53 PM
  #758
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
I said even strength production.

Besides, I don't see how one of those players producing at a decent top-6 pace is anything ridiculous.
Fast was a 0.64 PPG player in the Swedish Elite League. This is a league where Mats Zuccarello was MVP. Of course he's young, so we'll see but that doesn't jump out at you.

Kristo is 23 and has yet to play an NHL game. This isn't because the Canadiens just forgot they had him. There's a reason.

Hrivik is the only one out of the 3 who has posted similar numbers to Callahan prior to turning pro (1.13 PPG in the Q vs 0.95 PPG in the O) but had an underwhelming total in 40 AHL games (0.65 PPG) whereas Callahan tore up the minors (0.985).

Callahan was simply further ahead of these guys at the same age, so I wouldn't bank on these guys replacing his production in any way. Hrivik has a shot. I'd be shocked if Fast or Kristo come anywhere near Callahan as a scorer.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:56 PM
  #759
JeffMangum
Ra shi da
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 55,784
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Fast was a 0.64 PPG player in the Swedish Elite League. This is a league where Mats Zuccarello was MVP. Of course he's young, so we'll see but that doesn't jump out at you.
Different players, age, and roles. Injuries played a factor in this too.

Quote:
Kristo is 23 and has yet to play an NHL game. This isn't because the Canadiens just forgot they had him. There's a reason.
Yes, the reason is Kristo wanted to be in college for four years. Like Hagelin.

Quote:
Hrivik is the only one out of the 3 who has posted similar numbers to Callahan prior to turning pro (1.13 PPG in the Q vs 0.95 PPG in the O) but had an underwhelming in 40 AHL games (0.65 PPG) whereas Callahan tore up the minors (0.985).
Also injuries. Least likely of the group to provide decent top-6 production, but the skillset is there.

Quote:
Callahan was simply further ahead of these guys at the same age, so I wouldn't bank on these guys replacing his production in any way. Hrivik has a shot. I'd be shocked if Fast or Kristo come anywhere near Callahan as a scorer.
Remember that I said even strength production. Callahan is an average ES producer at best. A lot of his goals come on the PP.


Last edited by JeffMangum: 08-27-2013 at 05:01 PM.
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:12 PM
  #760
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 33,816
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB v2 0 View Post
Different players, age, and roles. Injuries played a factor in this too.
Admittedly I know less about Fast than the other two. I'll give him a chance.


Quote:
Yes, the reason is Kristo wanted to be in college for four years. Like Hagelin.
Yeah like Hagelin. Hagelin is not the scorer Callahan is. Maybe ES he is, but ~41 points of ES production doesn't get you as far as Callahan's ~55 points of mixed production. Goals are goals, especially when you consider our PP numbers and how much more of a need that is right now.


Quote:
Also injuries. Least likely of the group to provide decent top-6 production, but the skillset is there.
I like Hrivik the best of the 3, he has great production. When it comes to forwards I'm very much a numbers guy. I like to see what I'm getting. Especially with younger players, because I feel a player that's going to become good in the NHL should put up nice looking numbers at a lower level.

Quote:
Remember that I said even strength production. Callahan is an average ES producer at best. A lot of his goals come on the PP.
Like I said, goals are goals. And unless you're freakishly good at ES like the Bruins are, generally the PP is how you make money in the playoffs.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 07:48 PM
  #761
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (66)

Ryan McDonagh (65) + 2 = 67
Dan Girardi (6) - 2 = 4
Marc Staal (51)



+1.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (66) -2 (64)

Ryan McDonagh (67)
Dan Girardi (4) +2 (6)
Marc Staal (51)

Until Stepan signs, I vote against him... ha ha

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:08 PM
  #762
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls
 
Brian Boyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,837
vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (66) -2 (64)

Ryan McDonagh (67)
Dan Girardi (4) +2 (6)
Marc Staal (51)

Until Stepan signs, I vote against him... ha ha
That should expedite the process.

Brian Boyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:46 PM
  #763
BBKers
Registered User
 
BBKers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: South Koster, Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 5,662
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mti79 View Post
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (66) -2 (64)

Ryan McDonagh (67)
Dan Girardi (4) +2 (6)
Marc Staal (51)

Until Stepan signs, I vote against him... ha ha
Rick Nash (63) +2 (65)
Derek Stepan (64)

Ryan McDonagh (67)
Dan Girardi (6) -2 (4)
Marc Staal (51)

Bye bye Dan...almost

BBKers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:03 AM
  #764
JohnC
#FreeSteve
 
JohnC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 4,525
vCash: 500
Rick Nash (65) - (2) = (63)
Derek Stepan (64)

Ryan McDonagh (67)
Dan Girardi (4) + (2) = (6)
Marc Staal (51)

JohnC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:05 AM
  #765
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (64) + 2 = (66)

Ryan McDonagh (67)
Dan Girardi (6) - 2 = (4)
Marc Staal (51)

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:25 AM
  #766
SoftEuro4thLiner
Registered User
 
SoftEuro4thLiner's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Country: Austria
Posts: 2,412
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (64) + 2 = (66)

Ryan McDonagh (67)
Dan Girardi (6) - 2 = (4)
Marc Staal (51)
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (66)

Ryan McDonagh (67) + 1 = (68)
Dan Girardi (4) - 2 = (2)
Marc Staal (51) + 1 = (52)

To accelerate this whole process, I'd propose cutting the points a poster can add to a player down to (+1), while the points one can substract stay at (-2) once we are at the final 4.

SoftEuro4thLiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:44 AM
  #767
Cresto
Much Disappoint
 
Cresto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,484
vCash: 500
I propose we bring MDZ back with (1000) points and face off against Stralman with (10) points and see how many hours it would take for the hate and bias to kill off MDZ.

i like the +1/-2 idea btw!

Cresto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 04:23 AM
  #768
Hellion
Stone Age Hockey
 
Hellion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Stavanger, Norway
Country: Norway
Posts: 4,930
vCash: 50
Rick Nash (63)
Derek Stepan (66) + 2 = (68)

Ryan McDonagh (68)
Dan Girardi (2) - 2 = 0
Marc Staal (52)

Hellion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:43 AM
  #769
Blue Blooded
Registered User
 
Blue Blooded's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Handicap spot
Country: Sweden
Posts: 2,734
vCash: 504
Rick Nash (63) + (2) = (65)
Derek Stepan (68)

Ryan McDonagh (68)
Marc Staal (52) - (2) = (50)

Blue Blooded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:23 AM
  #770
haohmaru
#bdwyblueshirts
 
haohmaru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Fleming Island, Fl
Country: United States
Posts: 5,359
vCash: 500
Rick Nash (65)
Derek Stepan (68) (-2) (66)

Ryan McDonagh (68)
Marc Staal (50) (+2) (52)

I get the feeling that this is going to go on for months.

haohmaru is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:42 AM
  #771
Faxius
Registered User
 
Faxius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 539
vCash: 2249
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCrusty View Post
I propose we bring MDZ back with (1000) points and face off against Stralman with (10) points and see how many hours it would take for the hate and bias to kill off MDZ.

i like the +1/-2 idea btw!
You mean how many seconds it would take for the love and affection we all have for Stralman to win!

Faxius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:09 AM
  #772
bigbuffalo313
Registered User
 
bigbuffalo313's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 2,624
vCash: 500
Rick Nash (65)-1=64
Derek Stepan (66)-1=65

Ryan McDonagh (68)+1=69
Marc Staal (52)+1=53

bigbuffalo313 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:23 AM
  #773
Gingeroux28
Doty for Cony!
 
Gingeroux28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: at your local rink!
Country: United States
Posts: 378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbuffalo313 View Post
Rick Nash (65)-1=64
Derek Stepan (66)-1=65

Ryan McDonagh (68)+1=69
Marc Staal (52)+1=53
Nash or BUST!!!

Rick Nash (64)+2=(66)
Derek Stepan (65)
Ryan McDonagh (69)
Marc Staal (53)-2=(51)

Gingeroux28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:59 AM
  #774
Bardof425*
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 3,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EKIsMyHomeboy View Post
Nash or BUST!!!

Rick Nash (64)+2=(66)
Derek Stepan (65)
Ryan McDonagh (69)
Marc Staal (53)-2=(51)
Rick Nash (66)
Derek Stepan (65)

Ryan McDonagh (69) + 2 = (71)
Marc Staal (51) - 2 = (49)

Bardof425* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
  #775
mti79
Registered User
 
mti79's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,250
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bardof425 View Post
Rick Nash (66)
Derek Stepan (65)

Ryan McDonagh (69) + 2 = (71)
Marc Staal (51) - 2 = (49)
Did Stepan sign yet? No... ok

Rick Nash (66)
Derek Stepan (65) -2 (63)

Ryan McDonagh (71)
Marc Staal (49) +2 (51)

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:33 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.