HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Official NHLers/Oilers @ The Olympics Thread

Old
08-27-2013, 11:19 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

vCash: 500
Quote:
James Duthie ‏@tsnjamesduthie 12m
You TSN panel guys are _______ !!! How can you have _______ on Team Canada and not ________?!? #formtweet #timesaver
James Duthie - Mega ******.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:30 PM
DrDrai

I really feel hockey canada will be making a gigantic mistake if Hall is left off this team, with more space on the ice you need a guy with halls speed, not to mention he will do whatever to win. I like getzlaf but isn't he to slow for international ice?

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:33 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Jeff Carter over Hall is a joke imo

Sloth Slothersons* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:36 PM
Frank the Tank
The Oiler Tankers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Despite all of their bluster about skating ability on the big ice Yzerman and his merry group of fools are going to pick a team that can't skate worth ****. I just know it. Big name recognition (RE: players on American based teams) will rule the day.
Can you justify such a statement? Please explain to me how one can label Babcock, Hitchcock, and Holland as fools. Moreover, in 2010 big name recognition was not the case. Stars like Carter, St. Louis, Stamkos, and Green were left home for better all-around players in Richards, Morrow, Marleau, Toews, and Doughty which paid off in the end. As mentioned numerous times by management, hockey smarts, the ability to play a 200 ft game, strong puck possession skills, and mobility will be the key aspects used to select players for Team Canada. The only reason most of the players will come from American teams is that is where the large majority of super star Canadian players play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
Yep agree 100%. The russians and americans will skate circles around Canada, and Canada will lose.

I have a funny feeling I'm going to be super pissed off when this team is finally announced this winter.
The Russian defense and offense could not skate with Canada in 2010. The Toews line embarrassed the vaunted Ovechkin-Malkin-Semin line by back-checking them into submission and the KHL forwards were exposed for their inability to cover against the Canadian counter-attacks (primarily the Getzlaf line matched up against the Kozlov line). That being said, the Russian forwards are always going to be dangerous, but what defensemen has Russian added the past four years to prevent them from being a group of pylons again?

Frank the Tank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:38 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
James Duthie - Mega ******.
There's a reason they're employed to speculate, not to make decisions.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:39 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Jeff Carter over Hall is a joke imo
No slight to Hall, but how homer-colored are these glasses your'e reading through to be calling Carter a joke?

Hall doesn't even play PK on a bottom-5 NHL team. Carter was PKing for a contender. He's scored 40+ goals in the league before. He was on pace for 45 last year itself.

He's scored big goals in big playoff games his whole career. He's a big body, he can skate, he can score, and he can play a 2-way game.

Doesn't seem like a big mistake to me. You need your role players on this team.

The only role Hall's ever showed he can play - and he does it quite well - is a top-line scoring player. But now he's up against names like Crosby, Staal, Giroux, and Stamkos for that role. That's why he's getting cut.

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:50 PM
SDig14

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Perfect Human View Post
No slight to Hall, but how homer-colored are these glasses your'e reading through to be calling Carter a joke?

Hall doesn't even play PK on a bottom-5 NHL team. Carter was PKing for a contender. He's scored 40+ goals in the league before. He was on pace for 45 last year itself.

He's scored big goals in big playoff games his whole career. He's a big body, he can skate, he can score, and he can play a 2-way game.

The only role Hall's ever showed he can play - and he does it quite well - is a top-line scoring player. But now he's up against names like Crosby, Staal, Giroux, and Stamkos for that role. That's why he's getting cut.
Except he's not really up against any of those guys except Staal. Crosby, Giroux, Nash, Bergeron, Stamkos, Tavares, etc will all be playing centre of the right side.

According to most reports, guys like Couture and Kunitz are guys making the team on LW over Hall right now.

Since it seems like Staal-Toews-Nash will play a shutdown role with offense, I don't think they need more defense on LW or versatility.

Why not take speed and pure skill and let him prove them wrong?

I mean, he could start as the 14th forward, but the lack of depth on LW is pretty glaring, not to mention he outplayed 90% of the forwards at this camp last year offensively.

Hopefully he plays as well next year leading up to selection time and force them to pick him.

SDig14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:53 PM
hockeyaddict101

Quote:

So he is getting cut because 4 months in advance the TSN guys said so? Keep in mind according to TSN Hall wasn't even getting invited to the camp and Jamie Benn was.

Understand I do not think Hall is a lock by any means but I think it is premature to assume he is being cut this early.

hockeyaddict101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:28 AM
Del Preston
Pass to Purcell

vCash: 50
Those TSN selection segments were cringeworthy.

Del Preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 02:06 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
That's exactly what Stamkos did in 2010 - and he still wasn't allowed to make it. Prognosis is poor for these younger guys. There's just too much damn depth.
Hall just needs to play center, so then they can move him to the wing.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 02:11 AM
Hitchslap

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
I really feel hockey canada will be making a gigantic mistake if Hall is left off this team, with more space on the ice you need a guy with halls speed, not to mention he will do whatever to win. I like getzlaf but isn't he to slow for international ice?
He was top 10 in scoring in 2010. Getzlaf absolutely belongs on Team Canada, as does Hall.

Hitchslap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:42 AM
Soundwave

Quote:
That's exactly what Stamkos did in 2010 - and he still wasn't allowed to make it. Prognosis is poor for these younger guys. There's just too much damn depth.
Canada doesn't have many natural LWers though. And they are going to be looking at speed for that position.

Couple that with Lowe being one of the higher ups, I think there's a pretty damn good chance Hall is on the team if he gets off to a fast start.

Stamkos was in tough because the glut of centers in 2010 and hadn't played two full seasons by then. This will be Hall's 4th season so he's not as much of an unknown quantity.

Lowe said flat out their criteria for selecting players this year with the bigger ice surface is different. I believe Yzerman has said the same. I could see

Stamkos Crosby Giroux
Hall Toews Tavares
Perry Getzlaf Couture
Nash E. Staal Bergeron

Quite easily.

Last edited by Soundwave: 08-28-2013 at 05:48 AM.
Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:55 AM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
Canada doesn't have many natural LWers though. And they are going to be looking at speed for that position.

Couple that with Lowe being one of the higher ups, I think there's a pretty damn good chance Hall is on the team if he gets off to a fast start.

Stamkos was in tough because the glut of centers in 2010 and hadn't played two full seasons by then. This will be Hall's 4th season so he's not as much of an unknown quantity.

Lowe said flat out their criteria for selecting players this year with the bigger ice surface is different. I believe Yzerman has said the same. I could see

Stamkos Crosby Giroux
Hall Toews Tavares
Perry Getzlaf Couture
Nash E. Staal Bergeron

Quite easily.
My thoughts as well. Lowe will Brewer Hall into the lineup, justified or not [and I think Hall deserves to be on there].

The only play in your list I question is Nash.

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:04 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Man this kinda sucks. 20-25 games into 2011-2012 people were talking about all 3 of Hall, Ebs, and Nuge as guys to make Team Canada.

It's going to take one helluva hot start from that line for them to make it at this point.
Is it even possible for Nuge to play himself on the team? I was watching his highlight reel and thinking of what he could do on international ice.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:25 AM
alphahelix

Quote:
Originally Posted by jukon View Post
Is it even possible for Nuge to play himself on the team? I was watching his highlight reel and thinking of what he could do on international ice.
I think it is within the realm of possibility, but barely. The center position is ludicrously overfull, he has limited experience playing mens hockey (this kept Stamkos and Crosby off olympic teams, so better believe it will be a factor for Nuge), and he really hasn't delivered any prolonged period of exceptional play to recommend himself among these elite talents. Especially given that he is coming off an injury-weakened year, heading into a late-start rehabbing an injury... his odds are low, low, low. HOWEVER, I refuse to write him off entirely - he will need an INSANE first half to make it. Something close to 3 PPG should do it

alphahelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:49 AM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Jeff Carter even getting a honorable mention on the TSN crew is a joke. Massive overrated opinions.

I'd slide Hall, Eberle, and definitely Corey Perry over him.

Also, their defenceman picked are ridiculous. The fact that Mackenzie was present is puzzling.

Pressure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 10:25 AM
PumpkinBomb

Hockey Canada hates Logan Couture for some reason. Even if he is in the top 10 in point by christmas he will not make the team.

PumpkinBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:26 AM
jukon
#Nailedit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Jeff Carter even getting a honorable mention on the TSN crew is a joke. Massive overrated opinions.

I'd slide Hall, Eberle, and definitely Corey Perry over him.

Also, their defenceman picked are ridiculous. The fact that Mackenzie was present is puzzling.
McKenzie stated on twitter that he is predicting who Team Canada will select, not who he would select.

jukon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:31 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

It isn't rose colored glasses, it is a joke. Carter had 33 points to Hall's 48, that just isn't close. Hall has to be a pick to be on the team.

Last edited by okgooil: 08-28-2013 at 11:50 AM.
okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:35 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
Hockey Canada hates Logan Couture for some reason. Even if he is in the top 10 in point by christmas he will not make the team.
They don't want to have an ******* on team Canada

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:51 AM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpkinBomb View Post
If Eberle has a solid season I still think they put him on the team. His majic at the WJC is just too much to pass up, I think he could replace a guy like Couture.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
It is isn't rose colored glasses, it is a joke. Carter had 33 points to Hall's 48, that just isn't close. Hall has to be a pick to be on the team.
You can't take 1 shortened season and use that to justify Hall over Carter.
Carter has proven over a few years that he can contribute quite nicely at these types of tournaments.

I have to agree with the rose colored glasses theory put forth by that other poster.

Carter is a proven winner at this level of hockey (International Olympics). Hall, not so much.

Although I love to see Hall make the team as well.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:01 PM
SephF
See you next time

Those TSN lines are absolutely awful, Hall or not.

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:06 PM
okgooil
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
You can't take 1 shortened season and use that to justify Hall over Carter.
Carter has proven over a few years that he can contribute quite nicely at these types of tournaments.

I have to agree with the rose colored glasses theory put forth by that other poster.

Carter is a proven winner at this level of hockey (International Olympics). Hall, not so much.

Although I love to see Hall make the team as well.
Fine, so is it rose colored glasses to have him ahead of Couture? Couture has never won anything, Hall had 48 points to Coutures 37 last year?

Rose Colored has to give, Hall won two memorial cups, represented Canada at the World Juniors, was 1st over all pick and had a MVP caliber year. He should be picked to be on the team.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:10 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by okgooil View Post
Fine, so is it rose colored glasses to have him ahead of Couture? Couture has never won anything, Hall had 48 points to Coutures 37 last year?

Rose Colored has to give, Hall won two memorial cups, represented Canada at the World Juniors, was 1st over all pick and had a MVP caliber year. He should be picked to be on the team.
I thought you were talking about Carter in the post I replied to?

Couture is another story all together.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote