HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 10:15 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by dasivon View Post
The obvious choice is Hall.

This team recycles poor decisions. MacT falls in love with an idea and discounts all other options.

So the fact that he is going to one of "his" guys wouldn't surprise me. But if true, I am disappointed.

This is Hall's team, pure and simple.
Ya, because the GM is the one making this call.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:17 AM
dasivon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Ya, because the GM is the one making this call.
At this point in the offseason it would shock me if Eakins would stick his neck out for Gagner as captain based on his limited interaction with the team.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:22 AM
Agron
BELIEVE.

honestly, gagner would be a good captain. the guys a mix of youth and veteran. not to mention hes also a passionate player and a hardworker who sticks his neck out for his teammates.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:22 AM
jsho

If Gagner becomes Captain I dont think he will be here for more than 3 years.

He will get run out of town just like Horcoff....and Moreau....and Smith. Or he will hit the market after his contract. It would be nice to have a Captain for once that will wear the C long term but I guess thats not the Oiler way.

Here is your fun fact for the day...besides Doug Weights 2 years as Captain, the Oilers have not had a Captain top more than 38 points in a season since 1991.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:23 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
At this point in the offseason it would shock me if Eakins would stick his neck out for Gagner as captain based on his limited interaction with the team.
Who knows. He has dealt with all the players, is it not possible that Hall who pretty much last week talked about not caring about the letter suggested Gagner as captain? Amongst others.

I don't like the timing, but to suggest that MacT is the one doing this seems off.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:26 AM
dasivon

Quote:
Who knows. He has dealt with all the players, is it not possible that Hall who pretty much last week talked about not caring about the letter suggested Gagner as captain? Amongst others.

I don't like the timing, but to suggest that MacT is the one doing this seems off.
Maybe not doing it, but heavily influencing it.

I guess when I expected this to be Dallas Eakins' call, the fact that it has some, or a lot, of MacT's fingerprints on the decision is what bothers me the most.

Leave this to the coaching staff as promised.

And I would think Eakins would want more than a short phone call/chat with his players to determine a good captain - like maybe seeing them in a dressing room together.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:28 AM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
That would be an awful decision if true but rewarding mediocrity is par for the course for this organization so i wouldn't be shocked.
Not that Gagner isn't a decent player and a high character guy but i would much prefer to see one of the best players on the team and a surefire core member get the C.

I doubt it's true anyway. MacT said that the decision is up to Eakins and since Eakins hasn't met most of his players, how the hell could he name a captain already?
At the very least, the arguing on this board would be entertaining if Gagner is indeed named captain.

Also, what are some of you going on about in regards to Hall not being a leader off the ice. Do you all know something that the rest of us don't know? Is this in reference to him (a kid) liking the bar scene? Oh the horror.
Not the bar scene, all those he does enjoy it. That part I don't care about. I'm talking about in the locker room. Its my opinion that gagner is more likely to pipe up and get players motivated or confront a teammate when needed. I don't think hall is that willingly to do it.

Of course I've never been in the locker room, but neither had anyone on HF. The people that are making the decision have tho.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:31 AM
dasivon

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Not the bar scene, all those he does enjoy it. That part I don't care about. I'm talking about in the locker room. Its my opinion that gagner is more likely to pipe up and get players motivated or confront a teammate when needed. I don't think hall is that willingly to do it.

Of course I've never been in the locker room, but neither had anyone on HF. The people that are making the decision have tho.
That's the problem. Dallas Eakins has never been in the Oilers dressing room.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:31 AM
topchowda

And who knows. Maybe they brought ebs/hall/rnh into a room and those guys agreed gagner was the best choice. I do agree this is Halls team. This team will lose/win on his performance

Old
08-28-2013, 10:32 AM
topchowda

Quote:
That's the problem. Dallas Eakins has never been in the Oilers dressing room.
He's probably consulted with horcoff, the assistant coaches, other players. Well hopefully haha

Old
08-28-2013, 10:37 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Maybe not doing it, but heavily influencing it.

I guess when I expected this to be Dallas Eakins' call, the fact that it has some, or a lot, of MacT's fingerprints on the decision is what bothers me the most.

Leave this to the coaching staff as promised.

And I would think Eakins would want more than a short phone call/chat with his players to determine a good captain - like maybe seeing them in a dressing room together.
Can you explain to me why Gagner would even be MacT's choice in the first place? It's not like MacT didn't put Gagner on the 4th line and make him prove himself instead of giving him 1st line time.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:39 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post

I don't think we have any young guys like that Gagner included who are rah rah guys, maybe Yakupov? Smid?
Even Hall admitted that he's uncomfortable with being the vocal leader and would rather lead by example. Crosby and Toews (seemingly) aren't vocal leaders either so i don't think that's a prerequisite for being captain.
I think Ference is more of the rah rah type who will get the boys pumped up before the game and also get in their face if needed so i would choose him over Gagner if it had to be somebody outside of the core group.

I just get annoyed when some posters slam Hall for his "off ice" actions. It's not like he does anything illegal, he just enjoys the bar scene as does many young people.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:40 AM
joestevens29

I still find it odd how hockey of all the big sports in North America puts so much emphasis on the captain by fans.

Don't hear fans of other sports *****ing and complaining about the choice of captains as much as you do in the NHL.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:42 AM
The Head Crusher

vCash: 18821
Send a message via MSN to The Head Crusher
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
If Gagner becomes Captain I dont think he will be here for more than 3 years.

He will get run out of town just like Horcoff....and Moreau....and Smith. Or he will hit the market after his contract. It would be nice to have a Captain for once that will wear the C long term but I guess thats not the Oiler way.

Here is your fun fact for the day...besides Doug Weights 2 years as Captain, the Oilers have not had a Captain top more than 38 points in a season since 1991.
Was Smith really run out of town? I don't recall it like that.

08-28-2013, 10:43 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
That would be an awful decision if true but rewarding mediocrity is par for the course for this organization so i wouldn't be shocked.
Not that Gagner isn't a decent player and a high character guy but i would much prefer to see one of the best players on the team and a surefire core member get the C.

I doubt it's true anyway. MacT said that the decision is up to Eakins and since Eakins hasn't met most of his players, how the hell could he name a captain already?
At the very least, the arguing on this board would be entertaining if Gagner is indeed named captain.

Also, what are some of you going on about in regards to Hall not being a leader off the ice. Do you all know something that the rest of us don't know? Is this in reference to him (a kid) liking the bar scene? Oh the horror.
Mediocrity? lol, the fun never stops. Some of you must hate being Oiler fans.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I often honestly wonder this.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:48 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Head Crusher View Post
Was Smith really run out of town? I don't recall it like that.
He didn't exactly leave the hero he once was.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:53 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
He's a decent player and a good character guy but he's not one of the players driving the bus and that will become even more apparent when the younger guys get even better, i prefer one of our best players who are signed long term to be captain. Gagner is a mediocre 2nd line center at this point in his career, i don't think it's a stretch to say that.
Just because i don't want Gagner as captain doesn't mean that i hate being an Oiler fan, that's odd coming from you who usually leans towards pessimism when it comes to Oiler players.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:57 AM
dasivon

Quote:
Can you explain to me why Gagner would even be MacT's choice in the first place? It's not like MacT didn't put Gagner on the 4th line and make him prove himself instead of giving him 1st line time.
Tambellini drafted Hall. Tambellini signed him to his first and second contracts. MacT was never on the coaching staff when Hall was broken into the league.

MacT was head coach when Gagner broke into the league in 2007-8. He was also his HC the next year. He also was the GM who did Gagner's most recent contract.

MacT has a lot more history with Gagner than Hall.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
He's a decent player and a good character guy but he's not one of the players driving the bus and that will become even more apparent when the younger guys get even better, i prefer one of our best players who are signed long term to be captain. Gagner is a mediocre 2nd line center at this point in his career, i don't think it's a stretch to say that.
Just because i don't want Gagner as captain doesn't mean that i hate being an Oiler fan, that's odd coming from you who usually leans towards pessimism when it comes to Oiler players.
Its a stretch to say that, a big stretch.

My latter comment was based more on seeing things stated that are negative hyperbole even from where I stand.

Gagner is a good player that tries hard to be his best and trains hard in offseason to be his best and improves and does what the club asks of him with NEVER any slightest complaint. For several years the team has obviously used him in the capacity of overseeing rookie players. He's an absolute foot soldier. He'd be well received anywhere and on any team.
Only on this board does a strange other missive take place regarding Gagner which entirely blinds what the team, players, org, or league would think about the player.

It would be hilarious just on that count, if Gagner was made captain.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:01 AM
Joe Hallenback

I like Sam but this doesn't make me think "Captain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDwtyd82Gnk

Old
08-28-2013, 11:02 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Its a stretch to say that, a big stretch.

My latter comment was based more on seeing things stated that are negative hyperbole even from where I stand.

Gagner is a good player that tries hard to be his best and trains hard in offseason to be his best and improves and does what the club asks of him with NEVER any slightest complaint. He's an absolute foot soldier. He'd be well received anywhere and on any team.
Only on this board does a strange other missive take place regarding Gagner which entirely blinds what the team, players, org, or league would think about the player.

It would be hilarious just on that count, if Gagner was made captain.
I have no problem with Gagner's work ethic and character and i'm sure that his teammates like him. I like him too but he has produced mediocre on ice results which in the end, is all that matters.
He is improving offensively and turning into an above average offensive #2C (even though he still hasn't broken 50 pts after 7 seasons) but every other facet is severely lacking as has been discussed ad nauseum around these parts. He's not a stand out in any aspect of his game. Mediocre compared to the #2 centers throughout the league isn't necessarily a bad thing btw.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:02 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Pat Quinn did that.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:06 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I have no problem with Gagner's work ethic and character and i'm sure that his teammates like him. I like him too but he has produced mediocre on ice results which in the end, is all that matters.
He is improving offensively and turning into an above average offensive #2C (evne though he still hasn't broken 50 pts after 7 seasons) but every other facet is severely lacking. He's not a stand out in any aspect of his game. Mediocre compared to the #2 centers throughout the league isn't necessarily a bad thing btw.
Your definition of mediocre must need some reworking. Over the last half dozen years theres been few things right about this club. Gagner has been one of them.

If Gagner had been playing on a good club all these years you seriously think anybody would be thinking he's "mediocre"?

Your posts on this topic belie a common leap of logic on this board. That because Gagner has been on a poor team for 6yrs he's implicated by association in some way. I think its unconscious thinking that results in people equating the two. The same people that disliked Gagner wanted all other associated memory players purged from the system as well and startover entirely. As if culpability is assumed in all those players. Think about that.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
He didn't exactly leave the hero he once was.
That was more related to the state of the team, not the player.

Closed Thread