HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
frag2

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
If Gagner becomes Captain I dont think he will be here for more than 3 years.

He will get run out of town just like Horcoff....and Moreau....and Smith. Or he will hit the market after his contract. It would be nice to have a Captain for once that will wear the C long term but I guess thats not the Oiler way.

Here is your fun fact for the day...besides Doug Weights 2 years as Captain, the Oilers have not had a Captain top more than 38 points in a season since 1991.
The difference between Horcoff and Moreau vs Gagner is Gagner always holds himself accountable. None of the "well the D coverage could've been better" or "the team took too many penalties [when Moreau was too busy slashing others]" so I don't see how Gagner is a bad choice.

Hall ideally because he can always lead by example on the ice [Gagner could but doesn't leave that big of an impression relative to Hall]

Old
joestevens29

vCash: 50
Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 3m
On the Oilersnation rumour that Gagner will be named the next captain.. anything is possible...But..my guess is @dallaseakins will want to..

Bob Stauffer ‏@Bob_Stauffer 40s
...Watch the team through pre-season and see how the players interact and play before making any decision

Old
dasivon

Funny how other team make their "best" player the captain, and forwards more often than not: PIT, NYI, PHI, CHI, VAN, WASH, CAR, ANA, PHX, SJ, WPG. ie - you will prosper by your best player. Onus is on him to lead. 7 other vacancies right now. The other 5 are D. So of 29 other teams, the only other 6 non-best-FWD or D captains are Landeskog, Backes (debatable best forward on STL), Callahan, Gionta, Koivu (was their best forward when named C) and Zetterberg (him and Datsyuk are the 2 best forwards on DET).

We must know something that they don't.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:14 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
That was more related to the state of the team, not the player.
Nah, Smith was starting to get crapped on. Sure it had to do with the state of the team, but as would be the case with Moreau and Horcoff. Smith was declining, and fans were beginning to get on him. Another year he would've be ran out of the city.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:15 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Your definition of mediocre must need some reworking. Over the last half dozen years theres been few things right about this club. Gagner has been one of them.

If Gagner had been playing on a good club all these years you seriously think anybody would be thinking he's "mediocre"?

Your posts on this topic belie a common leap of logic on this board. That because Gagner has been on a poor team for 6yrs he's implicated by association in some way. I think its unconscious thinking that results in people equating the two. The same people that disliked Gagner wanted all other associated memory players purged from the system as well and startover entirely. As if culpability is assumed in all those players. Think about that.
But he is mediocre compared to his peers, bad team or not.
Gagner wouldn't have been in the top 6 on most good clubs in all likelihood. This was one of the few places where he would get spoonfed top 6 minutes and PP time right from the start of his career.

The fact remains that he's an offense first player who hasn't even broken 50 pts once in 6 years despite getting ample offensive opportunities and is average to below average in other aspects of his game. That screams mediocre to me.
You can make all the excuses that you want to make for him but he has produced mediocre on ice results thus far in his career.

As i said before, he has a great work ethic and is a high character guy who will step in for his teammates if need be but thus far in his career, he has been a mediocre overall player but he also has room for growth so he could very well turn into a legit, good overall player.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:15 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I like Sam but this doesn't make me think "Captain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDwtyd82Gnk
Like Messier before him, Captain Sam Gagner will strike fear in the hearts of the Calgary Flames:

Old
08-28-2013, 11:16 AM
dasivon

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
On the Oilersnation rumour that Gagner will be named the next captain.. anything is possible...But..my guess is @dallaseakins will want to..

...Watch the team through pre-season and see how the players interact and play before making any decision
Exactly.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:18 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
But he is mediocre compared to his peers, bad team or not.
Gagner wouldn't have been in the top 6 on most good clubs in all likelihood. This was one of the few places where he would get spoonfed top 6 minutes and PP time right from the start of his career.

The fact remains that he's an offense first player who hasn't even broken 50 pts once in 6 years despite getting ample offensive opportunities and is average to below average in other aspects of his game. That screams mediocre to me.
You can make all the excuses that you want to make for him but he has produced mediocre on ice results thus far in his career.

As i said before, he has a great work ethic and is a high character guy who will step in for his teammates if need be but thus far in his career, he has been a mediocre overall player but he also has room for growth so he could very well turn into a legit, good overall player.
I don't need to make excuses for the player. Not sure why you think I would need to.

You're the one making preposterous statements about the player being "mediocre".

Probably 29 other clubs would pick up this player in an instant.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Sayuri

I love Gagner as a choice for Captain. After the years he's put in on this team I would argue that nobody in that room has the mental toughness or maturity that Sam possesses. He's a classy guy with an excellent work ethic and willingness to stand up for his teammates who can also put up decent numbers. He gets my vote without a doubt.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:30 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

I'd rather have Hall be the Captain as my first choice but Gagner would make sense if Hall doesn't want to be the captain

Old
08-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Like Messier before him, Captain Sam Gagner will strike fear in the hearts of the Calgary Flames:

Great GIF. I have never seen that one before.

I can't wait to see the other stupid Gagner gifs posted!

Old
08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Great GIF. I have never seen that one before.

I can't wait to see the other stupid Gagner gifs posted!
Give him a chance to play out his contract and I am sure he will supply a lot more!

Old
08-28-2013, 11:34 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I don't need to make excuses for the player. Not sure why you think I would need to.

You're the one making preposterous statements about the player being "mediocre".

Probably 29 other clubs would pick up this player in an instant.
You are making excuses. If he was on a good team, if he had better support IF IF IF.

You think that 29 clubs would play him in their top 6? He's certainly not going to be in many bottom 6's.
If you really want to believe that then by all means but lets just agree to disagree on that one.
Here's one example. Do you think L.A. has any use for him? Who does he supplant in that lineup?

As a top 6 player, he's mediocre at this point in this career with room for improvement. You think it's preposterous. Well i think it's preposterous that you think it's preposterous but of course, i'll probably be labelled as a Gagner hater now.
Here, to show that i'm not just hating on Gagner. I also think that RNH is mediocre at this point in his career, J. Schultz as well with the difference there being more upside with those two.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:34 AM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post

Yeah, exactly. Logic.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:36 AM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

Cool. I mentioned Gagner as captain in another thread a few months back.

I think he would make a great captain.

Probably the hardest working player on the team.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
You are making excuses. If he was on a good team, if he had better support IF IF IF.

You think that 29 clubs would play him in their top 6? He's certainly not going to be in many bottom 6's.
If you really want to believe that then by all means but lets just agree to disagree on that one.
Here's one example. Do you think L.A. has any use for him? Who does he supplant in that lineup?

As a top 6 player, he's mediocre at this point in this career with room for improvement. You think it's preposterous. Well i think it's preposterous that you think it's preposterous but of course, i'll probably be labelled as a Gagner hater now.
Your example for saying he is mediocre is the fact he wouldn't make LA's top 6 - LA might have the best forward core in the NHL. That doesn't make a player mediocre. I can say quite honestly, RNH probably wouldn't crack that top 6 either, over Kopitar or Richards, he certainly isn't mediocre.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:42 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Your example for saying he is mediocre is the fact he wouldn't make LA's top 6 - LA might have the best forward core in the NHL. That doesn't make a player mediocre. I can say quite honestly, RNH probably wouldn't crack that top 6 either, over Kopitar or Richards, he certainly isn't mediocre.
I could have named plenty of other teams as well.
He's average compared to his peers right now so is RNH. I don't think that's a bad thing for a 24 year old. I don't know why the word mediocre when describing Gagner's on ice results is receiving so much criticsm.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:44 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I could have named plenty of other teams as well.
He's average compared to his peers right now so is RNH. I don't think that's a bad thing for a 24 year old. I don't know why the word mediocre when describing Gagner's on ice results is receiving so much criticsm.
Good, average, or mediocre?

You just changed goalposts of your own proclamation without even realizing it.

You just refuted yourself, rebuttal isn't even required.

Seriously, this is a discussion? Slow day at the office?

Old
08-28-2013, 11:46 AM
bucktown

There is no way a captain would be decided before camp, especially if the responsibility of choosing rests solely on the new coach's shoulders.

No to Gags as captain. I believe a leader should (and will) emerge from the group. How many years has Gagner had to emerge as anything other than a trade fodder, whipping boy, 2/3C? He goes from trade rumors and salary arb. to captain? C'mon...

Old
08-28-2013, 11:46 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
Good, average, or mediocre?

You just changed goalposts of your own proclamation without even realizing it.

Seriously, this is a discussion? Slow day at the office?:D
Actually yeah. Painfully slow plus i'm headed on a 4 day Camping trip starting tomorrow so i'm trying to kill time today by any means possible.

Mediocre is Average. Good is Good (Above Average). It's not rocket science.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:49 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Actually yeah. Painfully slow plus i'm headed on a 4 day Camping trip starting tomorrow so i'm trying to kill time today by any means possible.
I detected as much from the mediocre posts.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:52 AM
CupofOil

Quote:
I detected as much from the mediocre posts.
Better than your below average posts.
I think it's safe to say that we have officially derailed this thread in the most mediocre way possible.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:53 AM
McNutty780

Why would eakins crown someone with the "C" before he's seen anyone actually play?

It would be a direct contradiction to his presser about how he expects guys to compete, be accountable, etc etc

This "Rumour" is BS

Fine if Gags earns it then he earns it and I support the decision.

Anything up until that point is just the result of a slow news day

Old
08-28-2013, 11:54 AM
McClelland

I have nothing against having Gagner as the captain, he tries hard almost every night out there and seems like a good guy outside the rink.

The reasons why i dont think hes a option this time is his short contract, has much to prove before hes off the trade market.

I see Taylor Hall as the first choice if he wants, always drive hard and are a gamechanger with a long contract, a franchise player.

second choice for me is Smid, a vet who always stand up for his teammates and never takes nights off. (also signed a teamfriendly contract).

third choice is Eberle with Gagner slightly behind!

Last edited by McClelland: 08-28-2013 at 12:03 PM.
Old
08-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:

Mediocre is Average. Good is Good (Above Average). It's not rocket science.
Same here, and heading to Pigeon Lake for 3 nights, 4 days.

I'll agree though he's been a little more than mediocre, just under good.

My scale

Belanger(Awful)- Jones(Bad)- Ryan Whitney(Mediocre)
Eberle(Good)- Hall(Awesome) - Allstar(No one yet)

Closed Thread