HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 11:59 AM
MrCaptain

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by McClelland View Post
I have nothing against having Gagner as the captain, he tries hard almost every night out there and seems like a good guy outside the rink.

The reasons why i dont think hes a option this time is his short contract, has much to prove before hes off the trade market.

I see Taylor Hall as the first choice if he wants, always drive hard and are a gamechanger with a long contract, a franchise player.

2th choice for me is Smid, a vet who always stand up for his teammates and never takes nights off. (also signed a teamfriendly contract).

3th choice is Eberle with Gagner slightly behind!
2th? 3th? Ow my OCD...

Old
08-28-2013, 11:59 AM
SephF
See you next time

I hope this isn't true

Old
08-28-2013, 12:05 PM
Pressure
#fireEakins Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post
I hope this isn't true
I kinda love your avatar

Old
08-28-2013, 12:07 PM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrCaptain View Post
2th? 3th? Ow my OCD...
How is your Norweigan?

Old
08-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

So the new coach hasn't seen any of these players on the ice but he's planning on naming one of them C already? I smell bull****.

08-28-2013, 12:15 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Better than your below average posts.
I think it's safe to say that we have officially derailed this thread in the most mediocre way possible.
Hey, I'm average at best, no, wait..

Old
08-28-2013, 12:22 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So the new coach hasn't seen any of these players on the ice but he's planning on naming one of them C already? I smell bull****.
If Sam was Horc's nomination, he's a good choice. 6 year vet, still part of the youth movement, skill player, good lead by example guy. Checks all the boxes. I doubt Eakins would object, and I doubt it's his call alone.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:27 PM
McClelland

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
How is your Norweigan?
One great property for a human been for me, is to stand up against bullying and injustice! Its more comfortable to doesnt care.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:28 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Dad View Post
If Sam was Horc's nomination, he's a good choice. 6 year vet, still part of the youth movement, skill player, good lead by example guy. Checks all the boxes. I doubt Eakins would object, and I doubt it's his call alone.
So let me get this right, Eakins is supposed to respect Horcoff's wishes (if this was the case, I didn't read the whole thread) when he never coached Horcoff and may never have even spoken to him? You doubt that Eakins would object? Is he not the coach? Would he not at the very least let the players that are still here put it to a vote? Personally I don't think that it's a good idea to give Gagner the C for a number of reasons. Firstly expectations will be very high for him and it could turn into a Horcoffian type of a situation which is unfair for Sam. Secondly he needs to be a complete player to deserve the nod, when he puts in the time to be a 2 way C then maybe he should get some consideration. Thirdly there are better short and long term candidates ie. Ference, Hall, Smid, RNH, etc.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:30 PM
topchowda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
I don't think we have any young guys like that Gagner included who are rah rah guys, maybe Yakupov? Smid?
Even Hall admitted that he's uncomfortable with being the vocal leader and would rather lead by example. Crosby and Toews (seemingly) aren't vocal leaders either so i don't think that's a prerequisite for being captain.
I think Ference is more of the rah rah type who will get the boys pumped up before the game and also get in their face if needed so i would choose him over Gagner if it had to be somebody outside of the core group.

I just get annoyed when some posters slam Hall for his "off ice" actions. It's not like he does anything illegal, he just enjoys the bar scene as does many young people.
Im a young guy, I have been at the bar many times and seen Hall there. Doesnt bother me one bit.Id be hypocritical to say that if I was a 20 year old in the NHL I wouldnt be at the bars enjoying myself, because I would. The only thing that got on my nerve was seeing him at a bar after a crappy loss. Just rubbed me the wrong way. But thats neither here nor there.

I dont need guys in the locker room to give a speech like in "any given sunday" I just want a captain that holds people accountable. That wont think twice about calling a teammate out for a bad mistake. I doubt Hall would call out Eberle for fleeing the zone in OT against vancouver with 20 seconds left. But again I dont know if Gagner does this either, just my feeling that he does.

But both of their on ice play are "captain like" Hall will make the big hit/ wont take crap from anyone and gives it his all. Gagner fights when he has to and puts in a great effort even when were getting blown out.

Its also a weird situation to have a captain that is younger than you, who also has holes in his game, to be calling you out. Hall has also been buddy-buddy with most of the core. The guy Id would want to be be captain would be an older guy with some experience. Crosby/Toews were good young captains because they were always serious, even as rookies. Neither strived to be liked, they probaly ticked some vets off, but thats who they were.However I think Landeskog getting the captaincy in Colorado after one year will be a disaster with the older core guys like Duchene/Statsny/EJ. Because Landeskog looks to be a good leader, but not to a toews degree

Nuge would be the darkhouse captain for me. Just a silent leader, serious about hockey at all times focused on winning.

My only hope is that none of the players care to much about getting a letter on their sweater and can just lead by committee. That they are able to self evalute their weakenesses and dont need a captain to straighten them out

Last edited by topchowda: 08-28-2013 at 12:36 PM.
Old
08-28-2013, 12:32 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I kinda love your avatar

Old
08-28-2013, 12:34 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
So let me get this right, Eakins is supposed to respect Horcoff's wishes (if this was the case, I didn't read the whole thread) when he never coached Horcoff and may never have even spoken to him? You doubt that Eakins would object? Is he not the coach? Would he not at the very least let the players that are still here put it to a vote? Personally I don't think that it's a good idea to give Gagner the C for a number of reasons. Firstly expectations will be very high for him and it could turn into a Horcoffian type of a situation which is unfair for Sam. Secondly he needs to be a complete player to deserve the nod, when he puts in the time to be a 2 way C then maybe he should get some consideration. Thirdly there are better short and long term candidates ie. Ference, Hall, Smid, RNH, etc.
How do we know that Eakins hasn't done his due diligence with Sam? Maybe he talked to Horcoff, and liked what Horcoff said about Gagner, so he sat down with Gagner to discuss the possibility? The reality is, we don't know what's happened (in regards to who was selected, and how it was done), so its a little early to be saying what a terrible mistake we've made

Old
08-28-2013, 12:34 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Ference has never played a game on the club and should be captain of it?

In the case of a player like Pronger I consider that. But not for a fairly normal journeyman D that hasn't played here.

RNH? Timing is off, too young imo and we don't know if he even starts the year. I think for this year anyway you want to sound the note of the team jumping out of the gate and everything in place for that. Captain in absentia to start might not be a good strategy.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:36 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
How do we know that Eakins hasn't done his due diligence with Sam? Maybe he talked to Horcoff, and liked what Horcoff said about Gagner, so he sat down with Gagner to discuss the possibility? The reality is, we don't know what's happened (in regards to who was selected, and how it was done), so its a little early to be saying what a terrible mistake we've made
Yep.

Pretty sure a guy like Eakins would be all over his homework by now. I would assume as much.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:39 PM
Lindo

Eakins has been reading the Oilers blogosphere and saw everyone said Hall should be and he thought he would throw a curve-ball and make Sam captain.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Pretty much. No way Eakins makes a choice at this point. He is going to want to see the dynamics of all the different team situations and then make a decision. He seems lke a very deliberate man.

I think this might be a case of a blogger getting wind of a rumour that is simply speculation and wanting to be the first one to post it.

A new coach is not going to make this decision before camp IMHO even if he does favor a player more than another, which he has not said boo about to my knowledge.

Welcome to Edmonton coach.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiahjones View Post
Eakins has been reading the Oilers blogosphere and sees everyone said Hall should be and he thought he would throw a curve-ball and make Sam captain.
No he's just P-O' ed that Hall wouldn't run the ultra uber triathlon marathon with him and that Hall twitted something about "as if thats ever going to happen"...

So Hall won't go to the wall..

^random spurious rumor^

please detect as attempt at humor.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Pretty much. No way Eakins makes a choice at this point. He is going to want to see the dynamics of all the different team situations and then make a decision. He seems lke a very deliberate man.

I think this might be a case of a blogger getting wind of a rumour that is simply speculation and wanting to be the first one to post it.

A new coach is not going to make thus decision before camp IMHO even if he does favor a player more than another, which he has not said boo about to my knowledge.

Check your calendars. TC is two weeks away folks. A coach like Eakins isn't going to pull a Tambo fiddling indecision. A Captain will be stated in time for the team hitting the ice for the first time. Theres deliberate, then theres delay. The thing is the decision WOULD likely be made as of about right now.

The org is in session and already grinding out the details. Do people schools out for summer or something and they just fling the doors open in September?

Old
08-28-2013, 12:48 PM
shogun99

Quote:
Originally Posted by topchowda View Post
Im a young guy, I have been at the bar many times and seen Hall there. Doesnt bother me one bit.Id be hypocritical to say that if I was a 20 year old in the NHL I wouldnt be at the bars enjoying myself, because I would. The only thing that got on my nerve was seeing him at a bar after a crappy loss. Just rubbed me the wrong way. But thats neither here nor there.

I dont need guys in the locker room to give a speech like in "any given sunday" I just want a captain that holds people accountable. That wont think twice about calling a teammate out for a bad mistake. I doubt Hall would call out Eberle for fleeing the zone in OT against vancouver with 20 seconds left. But again I dont know if Gagner does this either, just my feeling that he does.

But both of their on ice play are "captain like" Hall will make the big hit/ wont take crap from anyone and gives it his all. Gagner fights when he has to and puts in a great effort even when were getting blown out.

Its also a weird situation to have a captain that is younger than you, who also has holes in his game, to be calling you out. Hall has also been buddy-buddy with most of the core. The guy Id would want to be be captain would be an older guy with some experience. Crosby/Toews were good young captains because they were always serious, even as rookies. Neither strived to be liked, they probaly ticked some vets off, but thats who they were.However I think Landeskog getting the captaincy in Colorado after one year will be a disaster with the older core guys like Duchene/Statsny/EJ. Because Landeskog looks to be a good leader, but not to a toews degree

Nuge would be the darkhouse captain for me. Just a silent leader, serious about hockey at all times focused on winning.

My only hope is that none of the players care to much about getting a letter on their sweater and can just lead by committee. That they are able to self evalute their weakenesses and dont need a captain to straighten them out
For all we know Hall could be taking out his frustration about losing on some girl he met at the bar. It's all part of his healing process and will make the team better...

Old
08-28-2013, 12:51 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Check your calendars. TC is two weeks away folks. A coach like Eakins isn't going to pull a Tambo indecision. A Captain will be stated in time for the team hitting the ice for the first time. Theres deliberate, then theres delay. The thing is the decision WOULD likely be made as of about right now.
Wait and see for something official I guess. I think that even if he has made a decision, he is going to wait at least until he has the players assembled to announce it. I doubt he does it as a media announcement before players arrive. Just my feeling on his way of doing things.

Also, I would not be at all surprised if he does not name a captain for a while. Who knows? He could go with three As for a while. I doubt it as Eakins seems very decisive, but we are not there. If nothing else, it passes another lackluster day before camp.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:57 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Seriously a new HC is going to come into camp ready to hand the C out? Oh wait, ready to hand it out 2 weeks ahead of time. I don't buy it, Horcoff's word at this point doesn't mean a whole hell of a lot, truth be told Gagner would probably be a better on ice captain than Horcoff, but that doesn't mean that he should get the C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ference has never played a game on the club and should be captain of it?
If he shows up at camp and shows the dedication, leadership, etc. then I wouldn't write him off as a short term C.

Quote:
In the case of a player like Pronger I consider that. But not for a fairly normal journeyman D that hasn't played here.
Maybe so, but when our leadership has been led by Horcoff, these kids could use a dose of what an actual on ice leader that stands up for his teammates looks like.

Quote:
RNH? Timing is off, too young imo and we don't know if he even starts the year. I think for this year anyway you want to sound the note of the team jumping out of the gate and everything in place for that. Captain in absentia to start might not be a good strategy.
IMO we could see a revolving C, or maybe have it given out later in the season after it has been earned. I agree that the timing is off to name RNH captain, but IMO this should be seen as a long term thing because as long as Hall is here there will be people that feel that he is the C letter or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post

A new coach is not going to make this decision before camp IMHO even if he does favor a player more than another, which he has not said boo about to my knowledge.

Like I said I think that it's BS, time will tell.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:00 PM
Qrispy

Gagner is not a leader on the ice. Aside from making himself the occasional punching bag, the guy is invisible for half the games. I don't want another Horcoff-type captain who is just good in the lockerroom but mia in hockey games.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
jp7

I like this, although if confirmed I think half of the board will have to seek psychiatric help. Giving Gagner the C allows the other kids to just focus on playing hockey. It becomes everyone's team, not just Hall's team. I doubt this creates any animosity, he seems to be pretty well respected on the team and he has a 6 year tenure. It also makes him that much more accountable.
I don't understand why people think Ference should have anything more than an A, if anything giving him the captaincy would create animosity... he hasn't even laced up the skates for the oil yet

Old
08-28-2013, 01:06 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
Gagner is not a leader on the ice. Aside from making himself the occasional punching bag, the guy is invisible for half the games. I don't want another Horcoff-type captain who is just good in the lockerroom but mia in hockey games.
He is more of a leader on the ice than Horcoff was which IMO speaks more to how bad Horcoff was. Hall is the guy that puts the pedal to the metal when we need something to happen, because of this he is my #1 choice. He also plays a chippy style that should rally the troops/get them more involved.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:07 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

Like I said I think that it's BS, time will tell.
I agree. I will wait for something official. It just seems like this "source" is throwing it out there. I bet ON has good traffic numbers today though...

It will be nice once players start arriving and camp gets going. These last few days are the hardest ones before camp as a fan. I just want to see some real stories and not just speculation.

Closed Thread