HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Murray-Parros-Brière vs Ryder-Halpern-Weber

View Poll Results: Would you prefer to have:
Ryder-Halpern-Weber 21 11.17%
Murray-Parros-Brière 167 88.83%
Voters: 188. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-28-2013, 12:13 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
It's ironic that people here are more frustrated with this fact than Eller himself probably is right now. Are you his girlfriend? Or maybe you think it's a first-time occurence in this league?
What the hell are you and overlords talking about, who brought up Eller?!?!

Hullois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:15 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hullois View Post
What the hell are you and overlords talking about, who brought up Eller?!?!
I think I should be frightened that I can now follow HiggsBozon's mental gymnastics with nary a hiccup.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:18 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I think the funniest part of writing it is that you still don't get that it's a joke. Not my fault that you get so buttrumpled anytime someone talks about briere.

Are you HIS girlfriend!?

Honestly, it's like having an argument in 4th grade.

And I'll have you know that if the gods were so kind as for me to be Eller's girlfriend, I'd totally make him beat your boyfriend up and steal his One Direction tickets.
Whatever floats your boat.

HiggsBozon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:26 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Over his three year stretch in Boston, during which the Bruins finished 1st in the division twice and won a Cup, was Ryder not used for the most part on the type of scoring "3rd line" that it looks like we're assembling here? I believe he also had 35 points in just under 50 playoff games over that stretch...
You mean the season when he finished with 18 goals and 33 pts in 82 games?

The point is its pretty obvious Ryder can't do anything inside his own blue line.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:29 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:

The point is its pretty obvious Ryder can't do anything inside his own blue line.
Well, yeah he can't do much there. I don't think many will argue that. But then you can't argue that he isn't still better than Briere, who is a defensive black hole.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:30 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pezcore View Post
We know what Ryder brings to the table. Hes a steady 20 to 25 goals, extremely streaky and you cant never count on him when it matters. The last part is the main reason why this is his 5th team in his 11th season. We needed Ryder vs The Sens and he was nowhere to be found.

As for Briere, he can put up similar numbers, looks like he`s more of a team guy and just look at his playoff numbers. He is there when it matters and he`s also more versatile.

I just cant see why some think we have regressed. Maybe because some thought that Ryder was safe compared to Briere but I say that lets give him a chance to prove himself...camp starts in 2 weeks.

As for Weber...please. He had 3 season to prove himself and he failed. He is a decent 5th or 6th and is a Bergeron type of defenseman. I would rather give the spot to Murray. Not the same type of player but fills a need and im sure Price will be psyched to have Crankshaft clearing his crease
Ryder was scoring at a 30 goal pace for us last year and had 35 goals the year before. So claiming he's a 20-25 goal scorer is simply not true. Ryder more than doubled Briere's goalscoring both last season and the season before.

Briere MIGHT be able to replace Ryder's scoring but he has to get back to where he was 3 years ago. That's a big IF for any player let alone one who will be 36 and coming off 2 concussions.

Also Ryder was able to score with us playing with Plekanec and therefore getting a lot of the hard defensive minutes that Pleks gets. Briere is much worse defensively and will need to be sheltered. For all his playoff heroics, Ryder's the one with the SC ring, maybe it's because he was willing to play defence in the playoff even if it meant scoring less. I'm not sure Briere has ever learnt that.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:

I think it's at least a little funny that, in an attempt to find the worst season out of that three year stretch, you picked one in which Ryder was actually one of only a handful of Bruins forwards to end the season with a positive +/-.

No one is going to call him Bob Gainey in the defensive zone, but he's hardly "bad". And you can't ignore the neutral zone game when there's no red line for passing, and Ryder has proven that he can work the forward 2/3rd of the ice dependably enough considering who the comparison is with.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
I think it's at least a little funny that, in an attempt to find the worst season out of that three year stretch, you picked one in which Ryder was actually one of only a handful of Bruins forwards to end the season with a positive +/-.

No one is going to call him Bob Gainey in the defensive zone, but he's hardly "bad". And you can't ignore the neutral zone game when there's no red line for passing, and Ryder has proven that he can work the forward 2/3rd of the ice dependably enough considering who the comparison is with.
Dont get me wrong, I'm happy with the new arrivals and I don't particularly care that we lost Ryder, Halpern and Weber. BUT, Ryder isn't as abysmal defensively as some people here make him out to be.

I know it's just 1 small sequence, but this type of play doesn't happen with forwards who don't know WTH defense is.

Strik_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 12:48 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

Quote:

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree, in my opinion Ryder is bad in his own zone, borderline a disaster (I've been re-watching the last games of the regular seasons this week and he is awful when on a cold streak).

And @Strik_IX, I knew someone would post that clip, it still hurts so much lol but yeah it really doesn't prove anything and it would be hard to find only one more example of that type of play from him.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:58 PM
Roulin

Ryder > Briere... although both are streaky enough that there will probably be stretches where Briere is better, Ryder is a safer bet overall, especially when their ages are factored in. Not sure this exact question reflects on Bergevin, it doesn't seem like Ryder wanted to be in Montreal. It will be interesting to see what Brunner signs for. Even Raymond or Cleary might have been safer options than Briere.

Halpern > Parros... although I don't ever expect the majority of the board to agree. Parros is a negative. I thought Halpern played well last season, consistently made the correct play, and oddly enough looked quicker on his feet than he did the previous season. There's a good chance he declines at his age, but at 600k he'd be easy to waive/bury if necessary.

Weber = Murray... obviously not the same player type, Murray is a better fit here, but neither is a player I like to see on the ice at this point. If Hainsey signs for more than 3mil/yr or more than 2 years, I'll be more ok with the Murray signing.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 01:23 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Ryder > Briere... although both are streaky enough that there will probably be stretches where Briere is better, Ryder is a safer bet overall, especially when their ages are factored in. Not sure this exact question reflects on Bergevin, it doesn't seem like Ryder wanted to be in Montreal. It will be interesting to see what Brunner signs for. Even Raymond or Cleary might have been safer options than Briere.

Halpern > Parros... although I don't ever expect the majority of the board to agree. Parros is a negative. I thought Halpern played well last season, consistently made the correct play, and oddly enough looked quicker on his feet than he did the previous season. There's a good chance he declines at his age, but at 600k he'd be easy to waive/bury if necessary.

Weber = Murray... obviously not the same player type, Murray is a better fit here, but neither is a player I like to see on the ice at this point. If Hainsey signs for more than 3mil/yr or more than 2 years, I'll be more ok with the Murray signing.
Weber = Murray?!

lol

No matter what Hainsey signs for, Murray's contract is minimal and cheap.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:41 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiggsBozon View Post
Weber = Murray?!

lol

No matter what Hainsey signs for, Murray's contract is minimal and cheap.
Both one dimensional players, whose other dimensions have deteriorated or just not developed, to the point where they are liabilities.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 02:09 PM
Hullois
Somewhere in heaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roulin View Post
Both one dimensional players, whose other dimensions have deteriorated or just not developed, to the point where they are liabilities.
True, but if you look at it from the team's perspective, we need Murray's dimension more than Weber's... a lot more

Old
08-28-2013, 02:35 PM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
True, but if you look at it from the team's perspective, we need Murray's dimension more than Weber's... a lot more
It's not like they're even equal in any way. Weber hasn't improved one bit ever since he first came to the AHL. Murray has been an NHL regular for quite a long time now. Weber has yet to be.