HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 01:55 PM
ogorr

vCash: 500
When I consider the possible candidates I can really only identify 3 maybe 4 that are part of the core, have some history with the club and display (at least from a fans perspective) some leadership qualities.

1. Hall
2. Eberle
3. Gagner
4. Smid (maybe)

Ference is a good leader with a solid resume and likely would be a good captain but stepping into a new room as the captain may disturb the dynamics already in place so for this reason I did not consider him, at least not at this point in time. His position likely as an assistant however will be an invaluable resource to Gagner.

The young kids as a group have taken over the identity and culture of this room over the last couple of years and I think management realizes the need to encourage and harness this. They are all very open and direct about how they see the oilers moving forward and I wouldn't have a problem with any of the 3 forwards listed to be named captain. Saying that though when you think about the off ice contributions I think Gagner really separates himself from the other 2 (simply by way of experience). I also believe last year he had Schultz living with him helping show him how to be professional in every facet of the game and life as he did with Horcoff when he first came here (i.e. training, eating, being a professional). These areas of development, while subtle and definitely secondary to the room and team, are important factors in growing the young talent and establishing the right culture. I would suggest that if for example Nurse was to make the team, who would you prefer him to board with as an 18yr old. I would pick Gagner over Hall for this every day of the week right now.

While I never gave thought to Gagner as a potential captain I actually don't mind this one bit and think he would make a good captain. I also trust MacT evaluation of character and leadership, he likely knows more about Gagner than anyone else in the organization.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:56 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Hopefully this is true. All the Hall Pom-poms can come down.

Old
08-28-2013, 01:59 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Do you think Hall would be a bad choice and if so, why?

Old
08-28-2013, 02:14 PM
cfrancis

vCash: 4880
Send a message via AIM to cfrancis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seedling View Post
Do you think Hall would be a bad choice and if so, why?
Here is the main reason why I don't want Hall captain.

The captain traditionally needs to be the level headed leader on the ice. The "rock" if you will, if the team is shaken or lacking confidence it's the captain that needs to step up and rally the troops.

Hall plays with an intense emotion, he's an emotional player. I LOVE that about him. I don't want to curb that emotion in any way by sticking a "C" on his chest. He plays with an edge and in my mind for him to be the captain he would have to back off that edge a step.

In my opinion, we need Hall going flat out doing what he does best and not worrying about motivating other people.

It's kind of why I was leaning more on Eberle at being the captain because it seems like he has more of that "intellectual" mentality rather than "physical" or "brute" playing style that Hall has. I feel that Eberle could take on the duties as the captain and it wouldn't affect his play at all.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:20 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
How is playing with an edge bad? Chara, Brown, Getzlaf, Callahan, Doan, Backes, Phaneuf, Ladd, Ovechkin have an edge to their game and it seems to work for their teams.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:24 PM
The Last Dynasty
Big #1 C

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post

The captain traditionally needs to be the level headed leader on the ice. The "rock" if you will, if the team is shaken or lacking confidence it's the captain that needs to step up and rally the troops.

Hall plays with an intense emotion, he's an emotional player. I LOVE that about him. I don't want to curb that emotion in any way by sticking a "C" on his chest. He plays with an edge and in my mind for him to be the captain he would have to back off that edge a step.

In my opinion, we need Hall going flat out doing what he does best and not worrying about motivating other people.

It's kind of why I was leaning more on Eberle at being the captain because it seems like he has more of that "intellectual" mentality rather than "physical" or "brute" playing style that Hall has. I feel that Eberle could take on the duties as the captain and it wouldn't affect his play at all.
sounds like Messier

Old
08-28-2013, 02:26 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

Quote:

Personal preference I guys. I like a captain that will play with emotion. Hall is already leading the team this way. Very similar to the way Messier did except Messier could throw the odd elbow or spear a guy and get away with it back then.

What Hall did to Clutterbuck....that's what I want to see from my captain as part of his ability. Hall has the skill, desire and push back we have been lacking. I don't want another vanilla captain that is a calm rational guy. I want a change in direction.

Old
08-28-2013, 02:52 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
How is playing with an edge bad? Chara, Brown, Getzlaf, Callahan, Doan, Backes, Phaneuf, Ladd, Ovechkin have an edge to their game and it seems to work for their teams.
Chara, Doan, Brown, Callahan, Backes, Phaneuf, Ladd and Getzlaf to a certain point are all a calm and stoic persona on the ice.

And to be clear, I never said that playing on the edge is bad. That's where we need Hall to be.

Ovechkin is the "C" because of his paycheck, not necessarily because of his leadership.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:01 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

If Gagner is chosen to be the captain over Hall I am going to be pissed. Hall is very clearly the leader of the team on the ice. He is not afraid to stand up for himself or teammates. He will dive in front of shots with the goalie pulled and be pissed off when he doesn't block it. He will start discussions with other players and give them pointers on the bench and communicates with them, which would lead me to believe that he would do the same in the dressing room. He single handedly willed the Oilers into a playoff spot for a brief moment last season. Where was Sam Gagner during the stretch run. He played a brutal last 20 games and looked like he knew he had already cashed in on his big pay day. Sure Gagner fights, most of the time it is out of pure frustration of being in one of his all too common slumps. One time he stood up for a teammate and Beauhemin left the ice laughing at how he had mangled Gagner's face, and he let up on him... a lot.

Hall, Eberle and RNH would all be better choices for captain than Gagner. Can you imagine Gagner, a 7th year pro and still well below average 2-way player chastising RNH, a 3rd year player who is miles better than Gagner already in every aspect of the game, for a mistake?

Old
08-28-2013, 03:06 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

You just described Hall as a guy similar to the guy with the leadership award named after him, Mark Messier.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
If Gagner is chosen to be the captain over Hall I am going to be pissed. Hall is very clearly the leader of the team on the ice. He is not afraid to stand up for himself or teammates. He will dive in front of shots with the goalie pulled and be pissed off when he doesn't block it. He will start discussions with other players and give them pointers on the bench and communicates with them, which would lead me to believe that he would do the same in the dressing room. He single handedly willed the Oilers into a playoff spot for a brief moment last season. Where was Sam Gagner during the stretch run. He played a brutal last 20 games and looked like he knew he had already cashed in on his big pay day. Sure Gagner fights, most of the time it is out of pure frustration of being in one of his all too common slumps. One time he stood up for a teammate and Beauhemin left the ice laughing at how he had mangled Gagner's face, and he let up on him... a lot.

Hall, Eberle and RNH would all be better choices for captain than Gagner. Can you imagine Gagner, a 7th year pro and still well below average 2-way player chastising RNH, a 3rd year player who is miles better than Gagner already in every aspect of the game, for a mistake?
I agree. In no way to you look at the Oilers and go "this is Sam Gagner's hockey team". Just saying that makes me shudder a little bit.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:18 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

I don't care who the captain is, it's just a letter. The team is bigger than one player. They could choose the next Messier and it wouldn't make a lick of difference if the team still sucks.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:23 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
and the Gagner pitchforks come out

Old
08-28-2013, 03:24 PM
spOiler

It has nothing to do with how we perceive this move. It's how the players do. All I have heard from all the kids is how gagner is a role model and one of the guys. We don't include gags as one of the kids but he is only 1 year older then ebs. He's very mature and is loved by his team mates. Hall will tilt the ice with or without a C. So if he likes gagner as captain then I don't see a problem.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
For those of you who feel like this move would bring about the dark times, start the charge to either get Hall the C or Gagner out of town.

Old
08-28-2013, 03:38 PM
PETRYDISH

Quote:

THIS is the truth

Old
08-28-2013, 03:44 PM
SephF
See you next time

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETRYDISH View Post
THIS is the truth

Old
08-28-2013, 03:45 PM
cfrancis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
You just described Hall as a guy similar to the guy with the leadership award named after him, Mark Messier.
Mess had a different layer to him that I don't know if Hall has.

If Hall has it then let's giver. I just haven't seen the leadership capabilities in Hall thus far that Messier exuded.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:04 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:

If Hall has it then let's giver. I just haven't seen the leadership capabilities in Hall thus far that Messier exuded.
Have you watched his career from his junior days until now??!!

Old
08-28-2013, 04:19 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:
Beat me to it. Not to say Hall is at his level, but from what he has displayed, there seems to be some similarity.

Who knows what he is like in the dressing room with his teammates though. No one on here will know that much, which is why I don't get why people could be so opinionated about who wears the C.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:26 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:

Well he is suppose to switch to center for the start of the year

Old
08-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
I agree. In no way to you look at the Oilers and go "this is Sam Gagner's hockey team". Just saying that makes me shudder a little bit.
not that I don't disagree, but lots of people kind of felt that way re: Jason Smith/Ryan Smyth. Although Gator was always the undisputed leader... even though the heart and soul of the team for a bulk of the mediocre years was Smitty... as fans we don't truly know what's going on behind the scenes, what the discourse and dynamics are between the players, coaches and management...

Old
08-28-2013, 04:59 PM
Insta
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
not that I don't disagree, but lots of people kind of felt that way re: Jason Smith/Ryan Smyth. Although Gator was always the undisputed leader... even though the heart and soul of the team for a bulk of the mediocre years was Smitty... as fans we don't truly know what's going on behind the scenes, what the discourse and dynamics are between the players, coaches and management...
I'm not sure how you can make the comparison. Smith put it all on the line night in and night out and would punish people for crossing his path. He wasn't the most skilled but his style of play was inspiring.

I'm not sure who Gagner inspires when everyone sees him check himself into the boards when Steve Ott looks up at him.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:22 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
I'm not sure how you can make the comparison. Smith put it all on the line night in and night out and would punish people for crossing his path. He wasn't the most skilled but his style of play was inspiring.

I'm not sure who Gagner inspires when everyone sees him check himself into the boards when Steve Ott looks up at him.
you don't have to "inspire" to be the go to leader. And you misinterpreted the point I was trying to make. I said maybe there's something else there, we as fans don't always know the whole story. Things ain't always as they appear on the surface. I wouldn't call Jason Smith "inspiring" because he crushed guys. He would on occasion but moreover it was just his quiet intensity and huge pain threshold which gave him his reputation of being a leader and a true captain. I'm not advocating for Gagner as the new captain but who knows really, I think worse decisions could be made.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:34 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

Stupid.

Ference or Hall

Closed Thread