HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

What's up with Bobby Ryan?

Old
11-12-2006, 01:22 AM
Randall Graves*

vCash: 500
What's up with Bobby Ryan?

We don't get many updates about him on our board and I was wondering what's up with him? He seems like he's having an inconsistant year, one game he'll have 3 points, the next he'll have zero. I've been trying to get the Ducks front office to shed some light on his play but the replies I get aren't very detailed.

He reportedly came to camp in the best shape he's been in, but it didn't appear to help his skating much. I figure he should be amongst the league leaders in scoring after finishing in the top 10 last year but he's nowhere to be found in the top 20. He's on pace to finish with fewer points than last year.

So what's his deal? is the fact he didn't make the NHL bringing down his play? or is this a case of where the stats don't do him justice?

Randall Graves* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 01:56 PM
FearTheFlyers

Hmm..loaded question.

The thing that should be made clear first and foremost is that the entire team is playing like ****, and has been all season.

On an individual level, I still find that he is the only player on the Attack who can singlehandedly dominate, and has done at times, and the numbers often dont do him justice.

For example, Ryan took much criticism lately for only having 2 assists in a 9-5 road victory, a game I was at. Those who just look at a boxscore for the game miss that he completely dominated the first period, was in a class by himself, and the Attack were up 4-0 in 15 mintues.

There are troubling things about his game, and forget about the skating, it looks ugly but I've seen him dump the puck in and be the first to it so many times that I don't even consider it a big factor anymore. He has developed a new tendency this year of holding onto the puck for too long, and looking too long for that perfect pass. He is at his best when he is making quick decisions, or if he is holding the puck, he is moving with it. In the past, a great deal of his points came on the powerplay, on the powerplay this year he is trying to be too cute, holding onto the puck too long and his stats, and the team is suffering because of it.

He has been much better the last week or so, and I think the big numbers will start to come. He is being more aggressive and seeing the ice better.

I'm not worried about him yet, It's a long season. If I were the Ducks I would be happy ad the adversity he's facing from a team and individual standpoint. Captaining a team expected to compete, and struggling to repeat last year's statistic performance can only make him stronger, and come world juniors and playoffs I expect him to be big time.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 03:46 PM
Randall Graves*

Thanks FTF, the most I can get out of the FO is he's great at times and fair to average at others and you basically said the same thing in much better detail. His skating form looks really weird, do you consider him to have strong or weak legs at this point? Isn't he playing with Trevor Lewis?

Old
11-13-2006, 03:46 PM
mississauga jim

We have the same problem with Brule in Columbus. How can a kid that did so well in junior have such a difficult time in the NHL. In reality Brule should be back in junior and he will have a "Bobby Ryan moment". Meaning that he can't believe he's back in junior with these less skilled than me players. It's called swallowing your pride and blame the silly rules that prevents players like Ryan and Brule from going to the AHL for development. Ryan will still have trouble cracking the Ducks next season with players like Perry, Getzlaf, Penner taking up the rookie spots that Ryan thought he had a shot at.
And ask yourself another question: did the Ducks take Ryan too high in the draft? Was Ryan really the second best player in the draft? It appears that Anzi Kopitar is right now clearly the second best player in the draft with the Kings and number three might be Jack Johnson. So, no I'm not surprised that Ryan is not lighting it up every night. He's got nothing to prove and nothing to gain by busting his stones for the Attack. This is a similar scenario to what happened last year with Ben Pouliot in Sudbury and now he's in Houston where he belongs to develope.

mississauga jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 03:57 PM
FearTheFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
Thanks FTF, the most I can get out of the FO is he's great at times and fair to average at others and you basically said the same thing in much better detail. His skating form looks really weird, do you consider him to have strong or weak legs at this point? Isn't he playing with Trevor Lewis?
Yeah, he's a very ugly skater and his skating form is certainly counterproductive, especially when it comes to balance. There have been doubts about his lower body strenght, but in my opinion that is not the issue. He has no problem running over any defenseman in the OHL when he brings it physically. It's certainly something to keep an eye on, having not been raised in a hockey climate, I never played or learned how to skate, it's difficult for me to assess if the problem is balance, strenght or conditioning.

Playing with Lewis for all but one or two games yet, they are almost polar opposites, Lewis brings it consistently every night but I would say Ryan is easily mroe talented and means a lot more to this team.

With Lewis's scoring ability and Ryan's playmaking skills, I'm surprised they haven't clicked better. They both seem like the kind of player who like to carry the puck a lot, which isin't a great fit.

FearTheFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 03:59 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mississauga jim View Post
We have the same problem with Brule in Columbus. How can a kid that did so well in junior have such a difficult time in the NHL. In reality Brule should be back in junior and he will have a "Bobby Ryan moment". Meaning that he can't believe he's back in junior with these less skilled than me players. It's called swallowing your pride and blame the silly rules that prevents players like Ryan and Brule from going to the AHL for development. Ryan will still have trouble cracking the Ducks next season with players like Perry, Getzlaf, Penner taking up the rookie spots that Ryan thought he had a shot at.
And ask yourself another question: did the Ducks take Ryan too high in the draft? Was Ryan really the second best player in the draft? It appears that Anzi Kopitar is right now clearly the second best player in the draft with the Kings and number three might be Jack Johnson. So, no I'm not surprised that Ryan is not lighting it up every night. He's got nothing to prove and nothing to gain by busting his stones for the Attack. This is a similar scenario to what happened last year with Ben Pouliot in Sudbury and now he's in Houston where he belongs to develope.
In my personal opinion the Anaheim staff has an anti euro bias, and you can see that with the picks in recent years. If the scouts had watched Kopitar alot then why didn't they take him? the whole place of birth thing was a dumb reason not to take him, I think Brian Burke may have been a bit turned off by Jack Johnsons personality from what I can gather, because his style of play fits what BB likes.

I don't think any Duck fans are expected Ryan to make the team next year, being in the AHL would be best for his development but I think at some point he's gotta say here's my chance to break out and be a star if he can lead his team to the memorial cup, and not to mention the WJC's where he is going to have to produce for team USA to have a shot at gold.

Old
11-13-2006, 05:28 PM
Superfly Jimmy Snuka

In the only game I've seen Ryan in this year was at the GMC opener against the Generals when they won 9-5 and after the first period him and Trevor Lewis didn't see much icetime after the first because well why play your best players in a situation where they can possibly get hurt? He by far looked like the best player on Owen Sound without a doubt and he should be in the AHL imo. I think his skating is much improved.

Superfly Jimmy Snuka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-14-2006, 02:57 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superfly Jimmy Snuka View Post
In the only game I've seen Ryan in this year was at the GMC opener against the Generals when they won 9-5 and after the first period him and Trevor Lewis didn't see much icetime after the first because well why play your best players in a situation where they can possibly get hurt? He by far looked like the best player on Owen Sound without a doubt and he should be in the AHL imo. I think his skating is much improved.
Thanks for the report. I'll be looking forward to the WJC's, training camp reports on him were a mixed bag, I haven't seen him play for a while how's his 2 way game progressing by the way?

Old
11-14-2006, 07:45 AM
Bulls guy

Maybe he needs a change of scenery.
Sometimes that is what it takes to put the spark under someone's @#s.

Bulls guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-17-2006, 08:29 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by RallyKiller View Post
We don't get many updates about him on our board and I was wondering what's up with him? He seems like he's having an inconsistant year, one game he'll have 3 points, the next he'll have zero. I've been trying to get the Ducks front office to shed some light on his play but the replies I get aren't very detailed.

He reportedly came to camp in the best shape he's been in, but it didn't appear to help his skating much. I figure he should be amongst the league leaders in scoring after finishing in the top 10 last year but he's nowhere to be found in the top 20. He's on pace to finish with fewer points than last year.

So what's his deal? is the fact he didn't make the NHL bringing down his play? or is this a case of where the stats don't do him justice?
hey rally killer try this forum ohl and nhl/hockey http://www.rinkratmag.com/noof.html and click on new ohl open forum. best forum for junior hockey.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-18-2006, 12:44 AM
Randall Graves*

Last two games he has 5 points, maybe this is a start for him.

Old
12-02-2006, 08:25 AM
toomanymen

If he'd stop worrying about the Knights being "the OHL's team" maybe he'd be able to focus on the task at hand.

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 09:45 AM
SimonTemplar

Good point toomanymen nice statement to make in the paper when you got beat cleanly.

Ryan was not running over any London defence but did get mowed down but good by Todd "the freight train" Perry.

Ryan is doing fine not sure what people expect from him but the talent around him does not lend itself for him to have staggering point totals. Example here but what if he played for London with a snipe like Kostitsyn or a phenom passer in Gagner what would his points look like then.

The Owen Sound Attack are a good sqaud but more of a working team than flat out dazzle you type.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 01:42 PM
toomanymen

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonTemplar View Post
Good point toomanymen nice statement to make in the paper when you got beat cleanly.

Ryan was not running over any London defence but did get mowed down but good by Todd "the freight train" Perry.

Ryan is doing fine not sure what people expect from him but the talent around him does not lend itself for him to have staggering point totals. Example here but what if he played for London with a snipe like Kostitsyn or a phenom passer in Gagner what would his points look like then.

The Owen Sound Attack are a good sqaud but more of a working team than flat out dazzle you type.

I think people just have to realize that Ryan is the type of player who you think does nothing in a game (although he did have a nice helper last night) that is of note and ends up with 3-4 pts. I guess it's the curse of the big man? Just stop complaining already...

toomanymen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-02-2006, 04:12 PM
cupcrazyman
In Shanny We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls guy View Post
Maybe he needs a change of scenery.
Sometimes that is what it takes to put the spark under someone's @#s.
trade him to sarnia for 2nd rd pick 2007,2nd pick 2008.

cupcrazyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 12:57 AM
Randall Graves*

Quote:

I was under the impression that the Attack were a talented team...but there aren't really any snipers and since he is a playmaker first I can see what you're saying.

Old
12-03-2006, 02:18 AM
JrHockeyFan

Hmmm

I actually thought Ryan was pretty good last year and expected more of him this year. Quite frankly the guy does not appear to be developing his game.

His draft year Ryan was a +30 and 6th in OHL. Last year he was a -4 and 10th in scoring. This year he is 12th and a -10 so far.

I think Ryan was picked way too early at #2 in the draft. At the time I thought it was a good pick by Anaheim.

JrHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 10:32 AM
Boomhower

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrHockeyFan View Post
I actually thought Ryan was pretty good last year and expected more of him this year. Quite frankly the guy does not appear to be developing his game.

His draft year Ryan was a +30 and 6th in OHL. Last year he was a -4 and 10th in scoring. This year he is 12th and a -10 so far.
Yeah, London matched the Kane and Gagner line against Ryan all game, rather than a checking line and London had the last line change.

Goes to show they felt they could expose his week all around game and they did, Ryan was at fault on the game winning goal, his man Perry (point coverage) burned him, than blasted the winner. They still matched their top defensive pairing against him, but still...

Boomhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 02:18 PM
SimonTemplar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomhower View Post
Yeah, London matched the Kane and Gagner line against Ryan all game, rather than a checking line and London had the last line change.

Goes to show they felt they could expose his week all around game and they did, Ryan was at fault on the game winning goal, his man Perry (point coverage) burned him, than blasted the winner. They still matched their top defensive pairing against him, but still...

Hey Boomhower is the Bolland photo wishful thinking he returns to London this year.

JK, that looks like his Team Canada picture.

RallyKiller I may be wrong on this but many did pick Owen Sound to be an offensive machine this year but it all starts and stops with Ryan. he has just not scored goals at the rate many expected and word has it there has been some division on that team.

I have watched him the last three years and yes he was progressing towards the Corey Perry season. But seems to have stalled in his game he still does very well but not outright burning teams with monster game.

Boomhower was right though his skating is hurting him when other teams can play some blazing speedsters he falls behind. The Attack need to find another bonifide player who can score, hit, and compliment Ryan's game or they go no where.

SimonTemplar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-03-2006, 07:17 PM
Randall Graves*

Quote:
Hey Boomhower is the Bolland photo wishful thinking he returns to London this year.

JK, that looks like his Team Canada picture.

RallyKiller I may be wrong on this but many did pick Owen Sound to be an offensive machine this year but it all starts and stops with Ryan. he has just not scored goals at the rate many expected and word has it there has been some division on that team.

I have watched him the last three years and yes he was progressing towards the Corey Perry season. But seems to have stalled in his game he still does very well but not outright burning teams with monster game.

Boomhower was right though his skating is hurting him when other teams can play some blazing speedsters he falls behind. The Attack need to find another bonifide player who can score, hit, and compliment Ryan's game or they go no where.
The thing is he's not really a goal scorer from what i've seen of him is he's a playmaker first, goal scorer second and it doesn't look like they have any snipers except maybe Tregunna. I am hoping the guy pans out and am hoping he makes the WJC team so I can get a better look at him, all I ever get from some of the Ducks staff is hes great sometimes and average at others..

Old
12-04-2006, 07:49 PM
george_rules*

lack of desire must suck playing in owen sound after what portland did last year

george_rules* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-09-2006, 11:18 AM
DaaaaB's

Left off of team USA this week. I'm surprised by this and Ryan must be pissed off.

DaaaaB's is offline   Reply With Quote