HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 05:46 PM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Stupid.

Ference or Hall
Stupid.

Gagner or hall....see what I did there?

Old
08-28-2013, 06:08 PM
Sloth Slothersons*
They cut my beard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwater View Post
Stupid.

Gagner or hall....see what I did there?
Yes. You just took my post and replaced Ference with Gagner. Are you daft?

Old
08-28-2013, 06:24 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Some food for thought.

Iginla, thought to be one of the best captains in the game, only got his team past the first round once, and couldn't even get his team into the playoffs the last 3 years.

The C is just a C.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insta View Post
I'm not sure how you can make the comparison. Smith put it all on the line night in and night out and would punish people for crossing his path. He wasn't the most skilled but his style of play was inspiring.

I'm not sure who Gagner inspires when everyone sees him check himself into the boards when Steve Ott looks up at him.
Well, despite that gif being played on this board 516 time it really happened once, not even this year, not even sure if it was last year, and its what you cite as argument.

jebus watch some hockey. Gagner inspired his team mates for most of the GP last season.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Well, despite that gif being played on this board 516 time it really happened once, not even this year, not even sure if it was last year, and its what you cite as argument.

jebus watch some hockey. Gagner inspired his team mates for most of the GP last season.
I just dont think players respect Gagner as much as for example Hall.
Gagner is just to weak and thats without some stupid ol gif.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:50 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Gagner inspired his team mates for most of the GP last season.
Whaaaattt? So while Hall was busy carrying the team on his back during the stretch run (last half of the season) and SS had gone ice cold, you say it was Gagner that was an inspiration??

Old
08-28-2013, 06:54 PM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri9aren View Post
I just dont think players respect Gagner as much as for example Hall.
Gagner is just to weak and thats without some stupid ol gif.
Right... That's why they're always looking up to Gagner right? Because they don't respect him

Old
08-28-2013, 06:59 PM
GreatKeith

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Whaaaattt? So while Hall was busy carrying the team on his back during the stretch run (last half of the season) and SS had gone ice cold, you say it was Gagner that was an inspiration??
As much as I like Hall, nobody "carried" the team down the stretch run. That's why we lost like 8 in a row.

Old
08-28-2013, 06:59 PM
Krigaren*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Right... That's why they're always looking up to Gagner right? Because they don't respect him
Who is always looking up to Gagner?

Old
08-28-2013, 07:01 PM
bozwell
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 5007
Did not realize how many people on this board have spent the last few years inside the oiler dressing room for the entire season, to get a full outstanding of the make up of the dressing room and how the players are when the camera are off

Old
08-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Aerchon

Honestly I thought Gagner fell apart a bit for the last 15+ games or so.

A bit.

Not terrible but certainly not good.

Looking at his games he had a rather nasty 7 game streak of zero points and a minus 4 during that stretch of hockey where we needed him most. And for some reason he was playing on average 20 minutes a night.

Not exactly the kind of production you want from a "leader" when pushing for a playoff spot.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:14 PM
Thrill22
Feelin' it

I'd be okay with Gagner for a few years - maybe a little more added responsibility and accountability would be a good next step for his development - I see no reason to push the C on Hall - sure, it's his team, but it will be his team regardless - the Oilers need someone to stand in the crosshairs and take the negative as well as the positive - I think Sam has the stuff to do a good job of that until Hall is ready

Old
08-28-2013, 07:15 PM
Philly85
Moody'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Did not realize how many people on this board have spent the last few years inside the oiler dressing room for the entire season, to get a full outstanding of the make up of the dressing room and how the players are when the camera are off
that's basically it

Old
08-28-2013, 07:18 PM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatKeith View Post
As much as I like Hall, nobody "carried" the team down the stretch run. That's why we lost like 8 in a row.
Hall was the ONLY player giving it 100% every night.

The way he played during the 2nd half was the definition of leader and inspiration.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:19 PM
hellacious

Everyone needs to chill. Captains is not a position decided by fans! its a position decided by the team! if Gagner or anybody else is chosen its because the players, Coaches, and management has had their input and the decision has been made despite what any haters say. They don't care about haters! They care about reasonable fans that are going to accept the decision in a sensible manner!

Old
08-28-2013, 07:22 PM
hellacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Hall was the ONLY player giving it 100% every night.

The way he played during the 2nd half was the definition of leader and inspiration.
Hall is a better player but is he a better captain? And how the hell do you know if he is or not?

Old
08-28-2013, 07:28 PM
plikestechno

I don't think Hall even wants the hassle of captain. Let him just run free and pull the team behind him.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:45 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Honestly I thought Gagner fell apart a bit for the last 15+ games or so.

A bit.

Not terrible but certainly not good.

Looking at his games he had a rather nasty 7 game streak of zero points and a minus 4 during that stretch of hockey where we needed him most. And for some reason he was playing on average 20 minutes a night.

Not exactly the kind of production you want from a "leader" when pushing for a playoff spot.
A couple things wrong with this post. First of all without Gagner carrying the club the first 30 games it isn't in any type of position period. But to blame the same player for lacking "when we needed him most" is odd.

Where we need players to step it up is in defining what type of season its going to be from the outset. Not making some token effort after the club is already eliminated. The games you say were key I say were fairly meaningless realistically speaking.

Finally, lets not forget that the Oilers entire team was shutdown if not shutout in many of those last 15 games. So somewhat odd to blame Gagner for that.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:25 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bozwell View Post
Yep. I think the players respect Gagner, at least ones that care. Arguably more than Hall? No clue and none of us do. For all we know, maybe Eakins would ask Hall and he declined.

What I do know is fans don't respect Gagner. He's not perfect but he definitely has heart and that's more than almost all players on the team except Smid and Hall-who are just as determined IMO.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:31 PM
blackwater
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sloth Slothersons View Post
Yes. You just took my post and replaced Ference with Gagner. Are you daft?

If you don't like the idea of gagner being captain, fine, then give some reasons, that's the whole point of message boards, to see different opinions from diverse perspectives. Just posting "stupid" is contributing nothing, and your a much more informed poster than that.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:42 PM
sid49

I like it ALOT. Gagner kinda reminds me of Callahan just not as good. Which 5'10 smurf fights guys 4 inches taller then him knowing they dont have much of a chance? A guy with heart. He deserves it more then anyone on the team in my opinion. Would like Hall as well since hes our best player. But I think Gags is a suitable captain for a team like ours.

Old
08-28-2013, 08:58 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid49 View Post
I like it ALOT. Gagner kinda reminds me of Callahan just not as good. Which 5'10 smurf fights guys 4 inches taller then him knowing they dont have much of a chance? A guy with heart. He deserves it more then anyone on the team in my opinion. Would like Hall as well since hes our best player. But I think Gags is a suitable captain for a team like ours.
I really wish that Gagner was like Callahan, but he really isn't. I give him credit for dropping the mitts but while many laughed at Buchberger for dropping 'em and getting fed his lunch, on the other hand Gagner gets put on a pedestal because of it. I'd honestly rather Gagner not fight except in the rare occasion that it is warranted, it is not his game and he isn't that good at it.

08-28-2013, 09:07 PM
sid49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
I really wish that Gagner was like Callahan, but he really isn't. I give him credit for dropping the mitts but while many laughed at Buchberger for dropping 'em and getting fed his lunch, on the other hand Gagner gets put on a pedestal because of it. I'd honestly rather Gagner not fight except in the rare occasion that it is warranted, it is not his game and he isn't that good at it.
Buchberger was 6 foot 3. Gagners not a horrible fighter, just fights guys way out of his weight class, I love seeing a guy with stones. I prefer Gagners type over Brewers type. Small but fiesty over big but hesitant. Regardless of the outcome.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:10 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly85 View Post
not that I don't disagree, but lots of people kind of felt that way re: Jason Smith/Ryan Smyth. Although Gator was always the undisputed leader... even though the heart and soul of the team for a bulk of the mediocre years was Smitty... as fans we don't truly know what's going on behind the scenes, what the discourse and dynamics are between the players, coaches and management...
Jason Smith would bleed on the ice and is most comparable to Smid except he was tougher and more physical. Smyth would constantly get crosschecked and hacked at by brutes like Derian Hatcher, get up and go get some more. You tell me how Gagner fits in with either of those guys? Hall is the guy that takes the hits to make plays, the guy that tries to force the play when nothing else is working. The guy that throws the big hit when we need a spark. Gagner might be a swell guy, but IMO Hall, RNH and Eberle are ahead of his for the C and so would Smid be. I'd have it:

Hall, Eberle, Smid, RNH. RNH could've been higher if not for his injury plagued season last year. Gagner is from the Horcoff school of Captains, we've seen enough of those types of captains going back to Moreau's last years here.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:12 PM
oilexport

ready or not, Hall is the leader of this team. He's got to be captain, don't screw this one up Oilers.

Closed Thread