HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Offseason: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-28-2013, 05:17 PM
  #901
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I feel like I'm running out of movies to watch. Doesn't help that I limit the types of films I like to see. I hate watching depressing and horror movies. I'm running out of good Thrillers, Action, Adventure and Sci-Fi movies to watch.
have you gone through John Carpenter's movies? I was yapping about them earlier and don't mind me if you've watched them all a million times 10 years ago, hahaha.

There's a decent video store a few blocks from me and I go there every now and then to get a bunch of VHS titles that look interesting or fun that I've never heard of and seem to fit into what you're interested in. Finally getting a VCR tomorrow so soon enough I'll be able to watch them. I'll keep this thread posted! Really excited.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 05:33 PM
  #902
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,488
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
have you gone through John Carpenter's movies? I was yapping about them earlier and don't mind me if you've watched them all a million times 10 years ago, hahaha.

There's a decent video store a few blocks from me and I go there every now and then to get a bunch of VHS titles that look interesting or fun that I've never heard of and seem to fit into what you're interested in. Finally getting a VCR tomorrow so soon enough I'll be able to watch them. I'll keep this thread posted! Really excited.
If you plug your VCR into your 8-track, it'll give you some groovy hi-fi stereo.

Seriously, do they still make VCRs?

Lshap is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 05:42 PM
  #903
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
If you plug your VCR into your 8-track, it'll give you some groovy hi-fi stereo.

Seriously, do they still make VCRs?
My mom went nuts trying to find a combo dvd/vcr for my grandmother's birthday (she really, really didn't want anything 'higher tech'). A pure VCR? Haven't seen on in many, many years.

overlords is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 06:18 PM
  #904
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
If you plug your VCR into your 8-track, it'll give you some groovy hi-fi stereo.

Seriously, do they still make VCRs?
don't think so. some brands might.

i swear it's not hipster bulls#@t. I like the grainy look and they don't get scratched. A lot of these titles, I probably would've never heard of otherwise.

So yeah, complete hipster bulls#@T

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 06:21 PM
  #905
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I feel like I'm running out of movies to watch. Doesn't help that I limit the types of films I like to see. I hate watching depressing and horror movies. I'm running out of good Thrillers, Action, Adventure and Sci-Fi movies to watch.
gritty 70's cop/crime movies are always a good time if you haven't gotten into those and could possibly fit into your tastes.

French Connection is a great place to start. Tons of other great ones in that mold.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 09:53 PM
  #906
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
I like Curb Your Enthousiasm better than Sienfeld. Same show just more evolved.

And Family Guy or even Archer (hell I'll even thrown in The Venture Brothers in for good measure) easily beats The Simpsons even though I grew up with it. HM: South Park
Big Fan of Curb. And understand how people would 'rate' it higher, especially since Curb basically broke out the comedy TV show out of the "sitcom" world, aka no fake laughs. Not a fan of Family Guy (was for first 3 seasons, though went downhill afterwards IMO, mostly due to repetitiveness and reaching to far with the randomness).

Not much to say about SP, my favorite TV show of all time though nothing beats golden years of Simpsons. Am a big sucker for anything satire, and my favorite form of entertainment.

Watched some Archer, didn't really find it to be all that is said about it, guessing its a demographic thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
don't think so. some brands might.

i swear it's not hipster bulls#@t. I like the grainy look and they don't get scratched. A lot of these titles, I probably would've never heard of otherwise.

So yeah, complete hipster bulls#@T
Completly understand, i have few friends who are VCR buffs, specifically for certain older movies that were basically done for that type of quality. Not to mention i have recently realized that alot of the older movies on blueray make the "special effects" look really unreal because you were not supposed to see the film in such high quality. The bad quality camouflages the primitive special effects used back then, especially noticeable with blood wounds and such

uiCk is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 10:01 PM
  #907
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
gritty 70's cop/crime movies are always a good time if you haven't gotten into those and could possibly fit into your tastes.

French Connection is a great place to start. Tons of other great ones in that mold.
Are you into Poliziotteschi? italian crime films in 60-70's. Most can be watched on youtube, i would start with Caliber 9, awesome movie ;d http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067429/ <-- worth watching just the intro, sick beats

uiCk is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 10:30 PM
  #908
guest1467
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 24,824
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
the problem is the other characters have almost no development to speak of. walt's kid might as well not be there, he only serves to remind us that this incredibly talented, nobel laureate, has a tough life. and his wife, i don't know, she annoys the bejesus out of me. i still think she'll be important near the end. like shoot walt or take over his business lol
Every show has combinations of static characters and dynamic characters. Static characters play very significant roles as contrasts to highlight the development of dynamic characters.

Walt Jr. is a stock character, not sure why you would expect him to change or be relevant.

Skyler has been used to show the change of Walt throughout the series. Skyler is used as a contrast in the White family to Walt.

No other characters are supposed to be intensely dynamic in Breaking Bad. It's a story about Walt and Jesse; they are the nucleus of the show and everyone around them is used to push the plot and aid their development.

guest1467 is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 10:34 PM
  #909
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!
 
gunnerdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I feel like I'm running out of movies to watch. Doesn't help that I limit the types of films I like to see. I hate watching depressing and horror movies. I'm running out of good Thrillers, Action, Adventure and Sci-Fi movies to watch.
A sci-fi I really loved was Sunshine. It's made by Danny Boyle (28 Days Later). One of my fav sci-fi.

gunnerdom is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 10:38 PM
  #910
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 29,194
vCash: 500
Awards:
For TV, I have had a hard time getting into series. While I LOVE The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy, series like Game of Thrones, The Wire and Breaking Bad just haven't done it for me.

__________________
Shawn Wilken,
Head of Hockey Department
LastWordOnSports.com


Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 10:42 PM
  #911
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!
 
gunnerdom's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,541
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
For TV, I have had a hard time getting into series. While I LOVE The Walking Dead and Sons of Anarchy, series like Game of Thrones, The Wire and Breaking Bad just haven't done it for me.
Don't know if you like British stuff but I watched Luther, Sherlock and Life on Mars on netflix. Fantastic stuff, in my opinion. Rectify and Justified are also amazing.

gunnerdom is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 11:19 PM
  #912
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Are you into Poliziotteschi? italian crime films in 60-70's. Most can be watched on youtube, i would start with Caliber 9, awesome movie ;d http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067429/ <-- worth watching just the intro, sick beats
Nice! Never even heard of them!!! Definitely check them out.

I've watched a really good Yakuza movie called 'Battles without Honour and Humanity' from the 70s. It's the first movie in a 5 part series called the Yakuza Papers which is often called the Japanese Godfather.

Here's the amazing theme music for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiQsaF-vqE

PS: I'm 2 thirds through 'The Room'. Man oh man is it something.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 11:23 PM
  #913
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
So I'll probably get a few eye rolls, but I just watched Good Will Hunting for the first time the other day. Really enjoyed it.



as for tv series:

Oz


Enough said.

overlords is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 11:30 PM
  #914
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So I'll probably get a few eye rolls, but I just watched Good Will Hunting for the first time the other day. Really enjoyed it.



as for tv series:

Oz


Enough said.
you can't help but be moved by it. Still I don't like the whole idea of 'making something of yourself'. He really doesn't seem to mind what he's doing but everybody keeps telling him he has to do more so then he just decides he's going to make 'more of himself'.

Like all the arguments he makes for not joining some code breaking branch of government that's going to bomb some third world country are completely valid.

It would make more sense if he seemed underwhelmed by his job but you don't really get that sense. Unless, I forget the beginning of that movie.

Still very well done movie and genuinely affecting.

edit: my wife just explained it and now makes sense. please disregard this post, hahaha.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 11:35 PM
  #915
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,363
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
Nice! Never even heard of them!!! Definitely check them out.

I've watched a really good Yakuza movie called 'Battles without Honour and Humanity' from the 70s. It's the first movie in a 5 part series called the Yakuza Papers which is often called the Japanese Godfather.

Here's the amazing theme music for it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGiQsaF-vqE

PS: I'm 2 thirds through 'The Room'. Man oh man is it something.
good stuff, am getting the whole 5 part series thanks!

as for the room, all i have to say is 'lol'.


Oh and that's one sick track there! loving it

uiCk is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 11:52 PM
  #916
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,855
vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
If you plug your VCR into your 8-track, it'll give you some groovy hi-fi stereo.

Seriously, do they still make VCRs?
They only make VCR/DVD combos now

donghabs98 is offline  
Old
08-28-2013, 11:58 PM
  #917
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
you can't help but be moved by it. Still I don't like the whole idea of 'making something of yourself'. He really doesn't seem to mind what he's doing but everybody keeps telling him he has to do more so then he just decides he's going to make 'more of himself'.

Like all the arguments he makes for not joining some code breaking branch of government that's going to bomb some third world country are completely valid.

It would make more sense if he seemed underwhelmed by his job but you don't really get that sense. Unless, I forget the beginning of that movie.

Still very well done movie and genuinely affecting.

edit: my wife just explained it and now makes sense. please disregard this post, hahaha.
What do you mean by this?

overlords is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 12:07 AM
  #918
kassian
Emelin's face plate
 
kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Netherlands Antilles
Posts: 4,381
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
So I'll probably get a few eye rolls, but I just watched Good Will Hunting for the first time the other day. Really enjoyed it.



as for tv series:

Oz


Enough said.
Oz was pretty good. Loved the cast - it featured many actors who appeared on shows like Lost and The Wire afterwards. I really liked the character development in the show, but the writing was a hit and miss. Dialogue felt really unauthentic to what real-life conversations are like, at times.

kassian is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 12:36 AM
  #919
dackelljuneaubulis02
Registered User
 
dackelljuneaubulis02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,364
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
What do you mean by this?
I forgot that Robin Williams kind of sussed it out that Will really did want to be something more because of him sneaking around doing those math problems. The wife literally reminded me of this as I was finishing typing that post so instead of deleting it all I figured I'd just add that note, hahaha.

dackelljuneaubulis02 is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 12:22 PM
  #920
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
Wow Dexter has really gone lazy with the writing...



poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 12:37 PM
  #921
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Agnostic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,325
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post
have you gone through John Carpenter's movies? I was yapping about them earlier and don't mind me if you've watched them all a million times 10 years ago, hahaha.

There's a decent video store a few blocks from me and I go there every now and then to get a bunch of VHS titles that look interesting or fun that I've never heard of and seem to fit into what you're interested in. Finally getting a VCR tomorrow so soon enough I'll be able to watch them. I'll keep this thread posted! Really excited.
So what you're telling us is that you've mastered time travel and have transported yourself back to the '90's.

My advice. Buy Apple Stock.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 01:44 PM
  #922
LarsEller
Registered User
 
LarsEller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Copenhagen
Country: Denmark
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Wow Dexter has really gone lazy with the writing...


Agree. Its just plain bad now imo. I stopped watching after season 6. Debra is so ******* annoying!

LarsEller is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
  #923
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsEller View Post
Agree. Its just plain bad now imo. I stopped watching after season 6. Debra is so ******* annoying!
I think I stopped after the 2nd or 3rd season. The one with the Tom Hanks' son.

overlords is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 02:26 PM
  #924
poetryinmotion
Registered User
 
poetryinmotion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 5,313
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsEller View Post
Agree. Its just plain bad now imo. I stopped watching after season 6. Debra is so ******* annoying!
I like Jennifer Carpenter, tbh, she does her best to keep the show afloat.

poetryinmotion is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 02:37 PM
  #925
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsEller View Post
Agree. Its just plain bad now imo. I stopped watching after season 6. Debra is so ******* annoying!
I think I stopped after the 2nd or 3rd season. The one with the Tom Hanks' son.

overlords is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:16 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.