HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread

Old
08-28-2013, 09:14 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sid49 View Post
Buchberger was 6 foot 3. Gagners not a horrible fighter, just fights guys way out of his weight class, I love seeing a guy with stones. I prefer Gagners type over Brewers type. Small but fiesty over big but hesitant. Regardless of the outcome.
So Buchberger being bigger and getting his ass kicked by bigger guys makes the beatings hurt less or something? Had Buchberger been fighting Beauchemin, Beauch wouldn't have let up like he did on the smaller Gagner. Just because Gagner is small and fights sometimes doesn't make him captain material. If he feels the need to do that because he's the C and he comes across the wrong amigo he is going to get hurt, I'm talking broken bones (cheek, orbital bone, jaw, etc.) or concussion hurt.

08-28-2013, 09:16 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilexport View Post
ready or not, Hall is the leader of this team. He's got to be captain, don't screw this one up Oilers.
Agreed, right now HM would go to Eberle, he was an A in OKC and was highly respected there by his peers. If not Hall then do a rotating C for now, Hall needs to get that C in the next couple of years because this is his team. Unless RNH comes back and has a massive season, Hall should be the C.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:21 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrancis View Post
Chara, Doan, Brown, Callahan, Backes, Phaneuf, Ladd and Getzlaf to a certain point are all a calm and stoic persona on the ice.

And to be clear, I never said that playing on the edge is bad. That's where we need Hall to be.

Ovechkin is the "C" because of his paycheck, not necessarily because of his leadership.
Ovechkin seems to be the only one on his team to produce ppg+ in the playoffs... while not going far in the playoffs, he's more often than not making his presence felt when he's on the ice. He single handedly wins games for his team which is unless you dont watch hockey at all is imo undebateable what so ever. He is their emotional leader and Hall is ours. Look for a bigger bounceback year for him this coming season than last where Ovechkin's paycheck allowed him to win the 2013 Hart trophy. Ovechkin getting the 'C' for his paycheck? total ********.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:30 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kri9aren View Post
Who is always looking up to Gagner?
O hai Krigaren... nice to see you show up now that Omark signed with the Oilers.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:35 PM
oilman9482

Considering how Gagner wins almost every puck battle and wins most important faceoffs, I think this would be a near perfect choice for the captain of the Edmonton Oilers. Gagner could teach Hall a thing or two about tenacity and Eberle a thing or two about being a clutch performer.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:41 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman9482 View Post
Considering how Gagner wins almost every puck battle and wins most important faceoffs, I think this would be a near perfect choice for the captain of the Edmonton Oilers. Gagner could teach Hall a thing or two about tenacity and Eberle a thing or two about being a clutch performer.
When did this become an alternate universe?

Old
08-28-2013, 09:44 PM
Apocalyptic Mist*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
When did this become an alternate universe?
I think he was ing?

Old
08-28-2013, 09:47 PM
oilman9482

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalyptic Mist View Post
I think he was ing?
Definitely being facetious. I don't have a handle on the emoticon thing or sarcastic font yet. Hall is the obvious choice. I'd give it to Yakupov before Gagner. Gagner doesn't need anymore pressure on his shoulders. The guy has to improve his: footspeed, strength on the puck, faceoffs. Give the C to a more refined player, please and thanks.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:53 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
Hall was the ONLY player giving it 100% every night.

The way he played during the 2nd half was the definition of leader and inspiration.
This is the exact same reasoning people were using when the Stoll for captain bandwagon was in full effect.

Hall is far to emotional, young, and lacks maturity to be a captain.

At this point I would look for somebody else. Perhaps in a couple of years when Hall comes into his own (just like crosby did) he will be ready to lead this team.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Jason Smith would bleed on the ice and is most comparable to Smid except he was tougher and more physical. Smyth would constantly get crosschecked and hacked at by brutes like Derian Hatcher, get up and go get some more. You tell me how Gagner fits in with either of those guys? Hall is the guy that takes the hits to make plays, the guy that tries to force the play when nothing else is working. The guy that throws the big hit when we need a spark. Gagner might be a swell guy, but IMO Hall, RNH and Eberle are ahead of his for the C and so would Smid be. I'd have it:

Hall, Eberle, Smid, RNH. RNH could've been higher if not for his injury plagued season last year. Gagner is from the Horcoff school of Captains, we've seen enough of those types of captains going back to Moreau's last years here.
Nice to see Smyth get recognized in this way for things he used to do. Ryan Smyth was huge for this club for a lot of years and unstoppable in 97.

That said Gagner takes the punishment as well, is an around the net type of guy not scared to get in traffic in the money areas. To get the pts and goals you have to do that. We'll see more and more of that from Gagner as he is getting slightly bigger. Also, if I can add there was far less of Sam flying on his pants after taking the offseason training with Sidney Crosby.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:26 PM
oilexport

[QUOTE=flashy;70606779]This is the exact same reasoning people were using when the Stoll for captain bandwagon was in full effect.

Hall is far to emotional, young, and lacks maturity to be a captain.

At this point I would look for somebody else. Perhaps in a couple of years when Hall comes into his own (just like crosby did) he will be ready to lead this team.[/QUOT

You have a point about his youth and maturity but Hall is clearly the leader and the team driver. Is is not even close...

If Gagner goes down we need to trade for Grabovski

If Hall goes down we need Toews

Gagner is average at everything including 2nd line Center, thier is no leadership in someone who can barely hold thier own. He will have trouble living up to his contract just like Horcoff.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:28 PM
Spawn

I would prefer Hall. I like Gagner, but Hall just screams captain. His on ice presence is unlike anything we've seen in years.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:37 PM
Aerchon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
A couple things wrong with this post. First of all without Gagner carrying the club the first 30 games it isn't in any type of position period. But to blame the same player for lacking "when we needed him most" is odd.

Where we need players to step it up is in defining what type of season its going to be from the outset. Not making some token effort after the club is already eliminated. The games you say were key I say were fairly meaningless realistically speaking.

Finally, lets not forget that the Oilers entire team was shutdown if not shutout in many of those last 15 games. So somewhat odd to blame Gagner for that.
Couple things wrong with your post.

Gagner offense through the first 30 was great, but his defense was equally terrible. To say he carried the team is extremely ridiculous. I don't know what games you were watching but it was really was get one goal/cause one goal with his line. While some of that was the rook Yak, Gagner was playing horrid defensively as well.

If people are saying Gagner was an inspiration for the team the whole season but in the last 15-20 games he struggled while trying to get a playoff spot... I would have to say that is a pretty good example of poor on ice leadership when it is needed most.

And I suppose you forget, but right during that "inconsequential" slump of Gagner's was exactly when we were in a playoffs spot. Not after it was already too late.

Anywho, you kinda came off shooting from the hip there and ass umed a lot of stuff.

The whole team did suck in that stretch. Even Hall to a much lesser extent. I never said Gagner was the only one responsible. If I absolutely had to point a finger I would say Whiney had the biggest part in our missing the playoffs.

I like Gagner. I think he signed a solid contract for both team & player. I think he is young and improving every year.

But as good as Gagner is, he still has some holes in his game.

And while his overall good play is respectable, it isn't to the level where he is a slam dunk to be the Captain.

It's his nice guy attitude I think makes him unsuitable to be a captain. I don't think I have ever seen Gagner get riled up over anything. Even when he drops the gloves it looks like he has a smile on his face. I can't even imagine the guy swearing.

I want a captain that kicks ass and is terrible to play against.

Gagner seems to just go out and do his job with determination. I want a guy who plays with malice in his game.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:44 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
I would prefer Hall. I like Gagner, but Hall just screams captain. His on ice presence is unlike anything we've seen in years.
its funny i was think the same of RNH every time i watch him.

I understand how some people will only think a team captain is to perform on the ice... but most of what a captain does is before they ever hit the ice. from the start of camp you are owned by the hockey team, everything you do, eat, drink, every decision you make is to only achieve as a hockey player and team. There is no selfishness allowed.

Yes Hall is great on the ice. That does not make a captain. The captain is the guy setting the standard off the ice, in the room, in drills, in the honesty of facing tough questions every night from reporters, in making rookies comfortable, finding a social network for wives and gfs, making transitions easy for acquired players, and knowing he can get tuned out if he talks to much. He has one or two chances a year to actually stand on the soap box.

A captain should also be able to get the respect of both young and old. if he whines i guarantee a whiner wont hold respect from both groups. You also have to kick your own friends in the ass in front of the group. ... which is something Smid is good about. Its not personal...its the fact that you are there to put your best foot forward.

This is team sports. this is what is expected at a pro level.

This isnt an obvious choice like Doug Weight was. Hall has the on-ice intensity of Dougie but not the off ice demeanor tht made him a beacon of pride for the players and organization and city. Carrying a heavier load than anyone before or after for chairty involvement, hitting the gym the hardest, setting the example for what it is to be a rolemodel and pro, being a therapist to trubled players, facing the rporters no matter what,and THEN being the jumping smiley magnetic star of the team. Even buchy admitted it was obvious it was Weights team. He expected more and more out of himself as a player and he expected more and more from the team and hed carry them if he had to. Off the ice every decision was made to being better. Summer is your time to be selfish for 2 weeks...then being paid a years salary every game has to mean something. anyone still in a childs selfish mind of decision making can never lead a pro team.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-28-2013 at 10:58 PM.
Old
08-28-2013, 10:51 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Couple things wrong with your post.

Gagner offense through the first 30 was great, but his defense was equally terrible. To say he carried the team is extremely ridiculous. I don't know what games you were watching but it was really was get one goal/cause one goal with his line. While some of that was the rook Yak, Gagner was playing horrid defensively as well.

If people are saying Gagner was an inspiration for the team the whole season but in the last 15-20 games he struggled while trying to get a playoff spot... I would have to say that is a pretty good example of poor on ice leadership when it is needed most.

And I suppose you forget, but right during that "inconsequential" slump of Gagner's was exactly when we were in a playoffs spot. Not after it was already too late.

Anywho, you kinda came off shooting from the hip there and ass umed a lot of stuff.

The whole team did suck in that stretch. Even Hall to a much lesser extent. I never said Gagner was the only one responsible. If I absolutely had to point a finger I would say Whiney had the biggest part in our missing the playoffs.

I like Gagner. I think he signed a solid contract for both team & player. I think he is young and improving every year.

But as good as Gagner is, he still has some holes in his game.

And while his overall good play is respectable, it isn't to the level where he is a slam dunk to be the Captain.

It's his nice guy attitude I think makes him unsuitable to be a captain. I don't think I have ever seen Gagner get riled up over anything. Even when he drops the gloves it looks like he has a smile on his face. I can't even imagine the guy swearing.

I want a captain that kicks ass and is terrible to play against.

Gagner seems to just go out and do his job with determination. I want a guy who plays with malice in his game.
Gagner was playing well defensively through most of the year. This disappeared through the last 15 games.

As far as playoff spot even while temporarily in one at no point did I, or anybody realistically think we were actually going to be in the playoffs. Theres just no way. What happens every year is that teams with extra experience, extra jump, and that know how to win critical games end up winning them at that time of the year. For this club to actually make the playoffs they HAVE to make hay early in the season (I actually stated this several times) This team realistically speaking was out of it early. They got off to a slow start which wasn't going to be good enough.

A good leader is somebody that is able to approach each day with the same level headed determination. Not necessarily somebody mercuric that loses his head on a regular basis.
On a young team calm can go a long way when others are flipping. But Gagner does have that certain amount of verve where he does get pissed and everybody knows when it is and comment on it. He does seem to get players attention at times when things aren't going well.
Which leads to my last point. Hockey is a game of happenchance. Coldstreaks are inherent to this game for any player. Theres going to be times where everything goes wrong. Hall and Gagner are the only two players that I see really fight to try to get over that and get something going ASAP. With Gagner its hitting, fighting, making a statement, changing the mojo anyway possible. You see a lot of the good players in the league doing this. Players that have this characteristic are well suited to hockey leadership. The player that knows slumps and funks happen and do anything possible to try to get out of it.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:54 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilinblood View Post
its funny i was think the same of RNH every time i watch him.

I understand how some people will only think a team captain is to perform on the ice... but most of what a captain does is before they ever hit the ice. from the start of camp you are owned by the hockey team, everything you do, eat, drink, every decision you make is to only achieve as a hockey player and team. There is no selfishness allowed.

Yes Hall is great on the ice. That does not make a captain. The captain is the guy setting the standard off the ice, in the room, in drills, in the honesty of facing tough questions every night from reporters, in making rookies comfortable, finding a social network for wives and gfs, making transitions easy for acquired players, and knowing he can get tuned out if he talks to much. He has one or two chances a year to actually stand on the soap box.

A captain should also be able to get the respect of both young and old. if he whines i guarantee a whiner wont hold respect from both groups. You also have to kick your own friends in the ass in front of the group. ... which is something Smid is good about. Its not personal...its the fact that you are there to put your best foot forward.

This is team sports. this is what is expected at a pro level.

This isnt an obvious choice like Doug Weight was. Hall has the on-ice intensity of Dougie but not the off ice demeanor tht made him a beacon of pride for the players and organization and city. Carrying a heavier load than anyone before or after for chairty involvement, hitting the gym the hardest, setting the example for what it is to be a rolemodel and pro, being a therapist to trubled players, facing the rporters no matter what,and THEN being the jumping smiley magnetic star of the team.
RNH could be a great captain in Beliveau fashion. Just not yet imo. Plus as mentioned that I think the team needs leadership and to storm out of the gates immediately this year. Come out like gangbusters and turn the page. Assigning captaincy to a player that may not be in the lineup isn't the right thing to do right now.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:09 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilman9482 View Post

Amen.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:15 PM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Hall was my first choice to be captain, but I'm not going to lose sleep over Gagner being the captain. He might be a better fit for captain after all because of his heart and maturity.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:19 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
RNH could be a great captain in Beliveau fashion. Just not yet imo. Plus as mentioned that I think the team needs leadership and to storm out of the gates immediately this year. Come out like gangbusters and turn the page. Assigning captaincy to a player that may not be in the lineup isn't the right thing to do right now.
sorry, maybe i seemed like i was stating that RNH should be captain, but i was more so making the point about high skill on-ice play not being the measuring stick for captaincy. A captain does more off the ice than on the ice and when on the ice commands respect from his own team, officials, and opponents.

I dont think Gagner would be my choice but i CANT think of ANYTHING that i can point to in Gagner that would make giving him the C a BAD CHOIcE. I would prefer Smid, myself. I think Smid is too much of a disciplinarian to be the C though. Hes mad guys cry on the bench. He should never have lost the A last year though.
Thats another thing. If you are ripping guys on the bench and in the room for their errors you really have to make sure you do it in a way that leaves them motivated to do more and not crippled by the encounter.

People respect Smid to the point that i dont think he needs to rip guys or throw them to the wall so much. finding the point where you can tone it down to still be direct and make a loud statement yet not have some 6'2" teammate shaking in his skates would be ideal. The guys shouldnt be afraid to make another mistake or unable to move around properly in fear of another very public talking to. Yzerman was a great leader on an all-star laden team. He worked hard off the ice, could have been a playboy but focussed on winning and being the best every day at the gym and on the ice, learned the game on both sides of the ice, commanded respect from everyone --which gets you calls with refs and helps your team-- and was the soft voice of the team. Kontantinov made remarks that yzerman would just looka t people and they would feel ashamed and want to do better as to get yzermans pat on the back at the end of the game. He made a bad choice and yzerman looked at him and he looked up at the clock thinking ... "i have 12:10 to redeem myself to stevie".

back to RNH... i think he could be that Stevie Y type captain. He is focussed on his actual job rather than sideshows after work, he seems focussed day in and day out to develop all parts of his game. I dont see any reason he cant be the C in the future if things continue but hes not there yet. On this team he still has work to do and prove but if he has a fantastic year and gets over ppg, playing the 2 way game he plays, with the even keel he does, and being the absolute catalyst that he is... i dont think there will be a debate.

Last edited by oilinblood: 08-28-2013 at 11:26 PM.
Old
08-28-2013, 11:53 PM
oilinblood

Quote:
Check your calendars. TC is two weeks away folks. A coach like Eakins isn't going to pull a Tambo fiddling indecision. A Captain will be stated in time for the team hitting the ice for the first time. Theres deliberate, then theres delay. The thing is the decision WOULD likely be made as of about right now.

The org is in session and already grinding out the details. Do people schools out for summer or something and they just fling the doors open in September?
i think most people on the internet are procrastinators so it doesnt surprise me if they think a switch just gets turned on at beginning of camp.

just like most will think a captain gets chosen merely for on-ice entertainment reasons. If i had a captain who was hitting the gym less than me or had a beer belly or was out all night and not in perfect physical specimen shape...id tune him the *** out. this isnt the 1980s nearly half a bloody century ago when they could do blow and drink all night and play hung over. good players also arent paid 250k anymore.

the switch does not just get thrown for camp and it doesnt just get turned on for the games. this job is a 24-7-340. you get nearly a month a year to do your own thing...then you better be a pro and thinking of only being the best player. if anyone isnt fully invested at all times in being their best they dont deserve to be an athlete.

Old
08-29-2013, 01:19 AM
Oiltankjob Fail
Eakins GTFO

Been A big Gagner backer in here ,but I do not think he is a good choice to lead team.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:49 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yak City View Post
Honestly, Hall must have turned down the captaincy if true - however, Gagner is more than an acceptable second choice. I know he gets a lot of hate here on HFoil, but the one thing that you can't say against the guy is that he suffers from any shortage of character.
Im guessing Hall didnt turn down anything. This is Eakins' team. He's a work ethic coach and Gagner works as hard as anyone, he's a bit older and he handles himself as professional as Steve Yzerman.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:50 AM
Petes2424

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiltankjob 4 93 64 View Post
Been A big Gagner backer in here ,but I do not think he is a good choice to lead team.
Why??

Old
08-29-2013, 02:56 AM
harpoon
FOB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
I'm going to go ahead and call bs on this paragraph. For a good stretch of games Hemsky/Gagner/Yak was the only line generating anything. They were the only line getting any sustained pressure. They were the only line scoring at the pace they needed to. Gagner's defense was neither terrible nor horrid. People just made 100 posts about every GA the second line gave up last season to keep alive the fable that Gagner can't play defense.

Old
08-29-2013, 03:07 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoon View Post
I'm going to go ahead and call bs on this paragraph. For a good stretch of games Hemsky/Gagner/Yak was the only line generating anything. They were the only line getting any sustained pressure. They were the only line scoring at the pace they needed to. Gagner's defense was neither terrible nor horrid. People just made 100 posts about every GA the second line gave up last season to keep alive the fable that Gagner can't play defense.
And I will call BS on this. Gagner's defensive play and the number of turnovers he made and lost assignments he had that led directly to goals against was brutal for a 6th year pro last season.

Closed Thread