HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Gagner New Captain?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2013, 04:03 AM
  #251
JaredCowenFan
True Canadian - '67
 
JaredCowenFan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,623
vCash: 500
Would be interesting. Don't think so. Maybe an 'A'.

JaredCowenFan is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 06:08 AM
  #252
MrCaptain
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 91
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
So Buchberger being bigger and getting his ass kicked by bigger guys makes the beatings hurt less or something? Had Buchberger been fighting Beauchemin, Beauch wouldn't have let up like he did on the smaller Gagner. Just because Gagner is small and fights sometimes doesn't make him captain material. If he feels the need to do that because he's the C and he comes across the wrong amigo he is going to get hurt, I'm talking broken bones (cheek, orbital bone, jaw, etc.) or concussion hurt.
I hope our new captain doesn't worry as much as you about gettin hurt

MrCaptain is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 08:03 AM
  #253
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
And I will call BS on this. Gagner's defensive play and the number of turnovers he made and lost assignments he had that led directly to goals against was brutal for a 6th year pro last season.
I love how people just pull this crap out of their a!@.
They just make it up cause it fits their paradigm.

Billybaroo* is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 08:23 AM
  #254
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,453
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabob View Post
And I will call BS on this. Gagner's defensive play and the number of turnovers he made and lost assignments he had that led directly to goals against was brutal for a 6th year pro last season.
Yes you're probably right, so you're mad at Sam Gagner for not being Datsyuk or Bergeron then?

No one is claiming he's a defensive specialist, but he's hardly the "trainwreck" that many of seem to want to believe he is.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 09:15 AM
  #255
Aerchon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Yes you're probably right, so you're mad at Sam Gagner for not being Datsyuk or Bergeron then?

No one is claiming he's a defensive specialist, but he's hardly the "trainwreck" that many of seem to want to believe he is.
First thing's first.

It's really hard to properly converse with someone online. Even in person trying to get across what your saying can be tough. Everyone exaggerates to make a point.

Gagner's overall play was well on the good side last year. More so offensively than defensively. His statistics support this. I don't know where to find corsi #'s but even if you look at his plus minus in his game log you can see some of what people are talking about.

As a hockey fan first, I watch the game and try to be as unbiased as possible. I remember very well Gagner's first 30 games because he did impress me. But there was many times where he did turn over the puck in the nutreul zone, or lose his man, or just get caught cheating. He got stripped of he puck from behind, I would swear, a dozen times at least trying to carry it through the netruel zone last year. All year, not just in the last 20 games of the season. And that isn't saying he was a train wreck defensively, but just that it was a noticeable weakness of his.

I actually think his defensive game took a small step back from the year before while his offensive game took a big step forward.

That isn't to say he is terrible. It is just to say he has his faults.

It would be great if he did turn out to be Bergeron good but nobody expects that.

Of course, sometimes the pro Gagner side make it seem like Gagner is even better than Bergeron. The whole exaggeration thing.

The truth is Gagner played good. Not great. He did not carry the team at any point and can not be mentioned in the same breath as Bergeron (yet).

I am happy to have him on our team. If he does get named captain I will be disappointed but it won't be the end of the world, and I think that is where some people are coming from.

Aerchon is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 09:19 AM
  #256
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,453
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
First thing's first.

It's really hard to properly converse with someone online. Even in person trying to get across what your saying can be tough. Everyone exaggerates to make a point.

Gagner's overall play was well on the good side last year. More so offensively than defensively. His statistics support this. I don't know where to find corsi #'s but even if you look at his plus minus in his game log you can see some of what people are talking about.

As a hockey fan first, I watch the game and try to be as unbiased as possible. I remember very well Gagner's first 30 games because he did impress me. But there was many times where he did turn over the puck in the nutreul zone, or lose his man, or just get caught cheating. He got stripped of he puck from behind, I would swear, a dozen times at least trying to carry it through the netruel zone last year. All year, not just in the last 20 games of the season. And that isn't saying he was a train wreck defensively, but just that it was a noticeable weakness of his.

I actually think his defensive game took a small step back from the year before while his offensive game took a big step forward.

That isn't to say he is terrible. It is just to say he has his faults.

It would be great if he did turn out to be Bergeron good but nobody expects that.

Of course, sometimes the pro Gagner side make it seem like Gagner is even better than Bergeron. The whole exaggeration thing.
The truth is Gagner played good. Not great. He did not carry the team at any point and can not be mentioned in the same breath as Bergeron (yet).

I am happy to have him on our team. If he does get named captain I will be disappointed but it won't be the end of the world, and I think that is where some people are coming from.
No one does that, and if that's the argument, it's a cop out.

Sam Gagner has deficiencies at a player, there's no argument against that, but he's not as awful as he's made out to be, often, and, to the point of the thread, would be a fine choice for Captain.

Edit: If his "defensive game took a step back" last year, it's likely because Corey Potter was a top-4-esq defenseman on this team, atrocious.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 09:26 AM
  #257
Ramrod
Happily outscoring
 
Ramrod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Schremp since 2000
Posts: 1,299
vCash: 500
Sammy hasn't even been approached about the captaincy yet. This is baseless speculation.

Ramrod is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 09:29 AM
  #258
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
No one does that, and if that's the argument, it's a cop out.

xxxxxx has deficiencies at a player, there's no argument against that, but he's not as awful as he's made out to be, often, and, to the point of the thread, would be a fine choice for Captain.

Edit: If his "defensive game took a step back" last year, it's likely because Corey Potter was a top-4-esq defenseman on this team, atrocious.
sure sounds a lot like Horcoff.. If Gagner becomes the captain he will surely be wearing the goat horns.. The guy needs to prove he is a decent top 6player first let alone be named the captain.

Petro Points is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 09:36 AM
  #259
Musicman798
Registered User
 
Musicman798's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Middle of Nowhere
Country: Canada
Posts: 333
vCash: 50
Based on Eakins' philosophy of hard work, I wouldn't find this all that surprising. Has anyone on the team worked as hard as Gagner to consistently raise his level of play?

Musicman798 is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:06 AM
  #260
mkwong268
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 73
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerchon View Post
Of course, sometimes the pro Gagner side make it seem like Gagner is even better than Bergeron. The whole exaggeration thing.
Bergeron? Gagner's better than Crosby! You don't see Sid getting 8 points in a game!

mkwong268 is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:10 AM
  #261
shogun99
Registered User
 
shogun99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,765
vCash: 500
If the whole point of being the Oilers captain is to be the fans/media whipping boy, then by all means give it to Gagner. Regardless of there being a letter on his sweater or not he will be the #1 target of the media/fans.

To me this is Halls team. First ever 1st overall pick in team history, leads by example and has reminded people of Messier since his junior days. He's also signed long term and seems to really enjoy playing for Edmonton.

Hall - C
Eberle- A (away)
Gagner- A (home)
Smid - A (away)
Ference - A (home)

I know that Smyth deserves a letter but I can't see him playing over 60 games this year.

shogun99 is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:13 AM
  #262
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,453
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
sure sounds a lot like Horcoff.. If Gagner becomes the captain he will surely be wearing the goat horns.. The guy needs to prove he is a decent top 6player first let alone be named the captain.
It does, though Horcoff's game really did fall off by the end, that much is clear. Gagner is a top-6 player, and he's already the new Horcoff, Captaincy or no.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:16 AM
  #263
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybaroo View Post
I love how people just pull this crap out of their a!@.
They just make it up cause it fits their paradigm.
Actually this happened quite a few times last year that also led to GWG's against. Well documented throughout the year. He didn't make it up.

Pressure is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:20 AM
  #264
Petro Points
Registered User
 
Petro Points's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 14,343
vCash: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman798 View Post
Based on Eakins' philosophy of hard work, I wouldn't find this all that surprising. Has anyone on the team worked as hard as Gagner to consistently raise his level of play?
Yakupov for sure .. I am almost everyone on the roster works hard to consistently raise the lvl of play. Hemsky probably comes across as a lazy@$$ but im sure he works hard as well just in his own way

Petro Points is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:26 AM
  #265
hellacious
Registered User
 
hellacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Actually this happened quite a few times last year that also led to GWG's against. Well documented throughout the year. He didn't make it up.
Link to documents? Yeah i did not think so.

hellacious is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:26 AM
  #266
misfit
Moderator
 
misfit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: just north of...everything
Posts: 15,575
vCash: 50
I've felt like this was Hall's team, and giving it to anybody else looks like overthinking the obvious to me.

Gagner really seems like a leader on this team, so it's not a bad choice, or at least not an indefensible one. A leader and THE leader are different things though, and to me, Hall is the guy that makes this team tick and I don't see that changing. He would've been my choice with Gagner as an alternate.

__________________
If you are offended by this post, it's probably because you're ugly.
misfit is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:30 AM
  #267
Pressure
#fireEakins Team
 
Pressure's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,786
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacious View Post
Link to documents? Yeah i did not think so.
I really don't have time to be searching youtube and googling crap to find exact proof of this happening. Anyone searching through the GDT's would know, anyone that watches all the Oiler games remember the blown coverages that led to GWG's last year. Even hardcore PRO Gagner fans remember them.

Trying to say Gagner is good defensively is being a homer. I'd say he's mediocre to average in his own end and that's because I'm slightly bias since he's an Oiler.

Pressure is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:37 AM
  #268
I am the Liquor
Registered User
 
I am the Liquor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: Canada
Posts: 34,262
vCash: 8345
This just in. The Edmonton Oilers, in a bold move ushered in by new gm Curly MacPeterson, have come up with a new letter, adding to the tradional "C" or "A".

The new "S" will be worn with pride by Sam Gagner. "He's earned it" says MacPeterson.

I am the Liquor is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:40 AM
  #269
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards
 
Jimmi Jenkins's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Alberta
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,453
vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This just in. The Edmonton Oilers, in a bold move ushered in by new gm Curly MacPeterson, have come up with a new letter, adding to the tradional "C" or "A".

The new "S" will be worn with pride by Sam Gagner. "He's earned it" says MacPeterson.
You know you could always do something about, start the campaign to make Gagner as Captain such a toxic idea, it will never be considered.

Fans can get that going in the city, you just have to work at.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:41 AM
  #270
hellacious
Registered User
 
hellacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I really don't have time to be searching youtube and googling crap to find exact proof of this happening. Anyone searching through the GDT's would know, anyone that watches all the Oiler games remember the blown coverages that led to GWG's last year. Even hardcore PRO Gagner fans remember them.

Trying to say Gagner is good defensively is being a homer. I'd say he's mediocre to average in his own end and that's because I'm slightly bias since he's an Oiler.
How many GWG's? and since he played the most ice time it was probably going to happen regardless once and awhile except the blown coverages part. but whatever keep making stuff up and using GDT's LOL as some sort of justification.

hellacious is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 10:54 AM
  #271
Billybaroo*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 737
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
Actually this happened quite a few times last year that also led to GWG's against. Well documented throughout the year. He didn't make it up.
Yeah ok.
I love it when guys just make things up.

Billybaroo* is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 11:02 AM
  #272
hellacious
Registered User
 
hellacious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 265
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
This just in. The Edmonton Oilers, in a bold move ushered in by new gm Curly MacPeterson, have come up with a new letter, adding to the tradional "C" or "A".

The new "S" will be worn with pride by Sam Gagner. "He's earned it" says MacPeterson.
I don't get it! Is it a joke?

hellacious is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 11:21 AM
  #273
Tad Mikowsky
Retired
 
Tad Mikowsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,553
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellacious View Post
I don't get it! Is it a joke?
No just a ****** attempt at one.

Tad Mikowsky is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 11:29 AM
  #274
Bryanbryoil
Moderator
I Know A Thing Or 6
 
Bryanbryoil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: About Winning
Posts: 50,743
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicman798 View Post
Based on Eakins' philosophy of hard work, I wouldn't find this all that surprising. Has anyone on the team worked as hard as Gagner to consistently raise his level of play?
Of all of the kids on this team that are 25 and under I'd say that Gagner has shown the least amount of improvement over his NHL career. Eberle from year 1 to year 2, Hall has shown improvement every year, Nail grew leaps and bounds defensively last season, RNH played really solid D last year in spite of being hurt and not producing as much offensively, etc. That's not to say that Gagner doesn't work hard, but if we're looking ant on ice results as an indicator of working hard to improve their game, then how can you say that Gagner has outworked everyone?

__________________
Treat Others As You Would Like To Be Treated
Bryanbryoil is offline  
Old
08-29-2013, 11:40 AM
  #275
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 36,282
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure View Post
I really don't have time to be searching youtube and googling crap to find exact proof of this happening. Anyone searching through the GDT's would know, anyone that watches all the Oiler games remember the blown coverages that led to GWG's last year. Even hardcore PRO Gagner fans remember them.

Trying to say Gagner is good defensively is being a homer. I'd say he's mediocre to average in his own end and that's because I'm slightly bias since he's an Oiler.
Stop it right there.

Anybody on this board would know that GDT's are typically reactionary, frustrated, ranting exchanges where people typically state, restate, reverse their positions on any event happening and in the same game. For instance the guy stating "Why is this guy getting any icetime he sucks, he can't do anything, sit his ass" is then in the 3rd period eating crow pie as the player scores the winning goal. Or not ever seen again here for a few weeks. This is the general quality of information you get here from GDT's magnified several times by the biases towards specific players that some posters use a megaphone and bolded font to repeat here a thousand times.

The Steve Ott gif is probably next to the MacT gif the most viewed and posted gif on this board. Anybody can ask why. But in the Ott video we know certain posters here that have singlehandedly posted that gif probably 50 times each all in the spirit of instilling some kind of myth or generalization re: Gagners play. Its an open attempt at creating a stereotype, a fiction, about the player. This being example of the skewing, of the bias, that takes place here. To gather anything regarding any player from GDT's is like trying to find gold in a steamy outhouse.

Replacement is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:59 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.