HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Closed Thread

Old
08-19-2013, 07:34 AM
ChadS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Which tournament are we talking about?
It's the Czech leg of the Euro Hockey Tour played between Aug 29th - Sep 1st.

Here's the rest of the team: http://www.hockeysverige.se/article/...h-hockey-games

I was expecting Bäckman to be on the team but he'll surely get his chance later in the season.

Old
08-19-2013, 04:09 PM
newfy

Read on twitter everyone at octagon hockey was extrmeely impressed with Frks work ethic and fitness level

Old
08-20-2013, 12:47 PM
Johnz96*

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuick View Post
Silly.. Jurco played the entire season with the team, Pulkkinen had just arrived and was adjusting to overseas in practices still. They were having success, why would he blow up his team just to give Pulkkinen top 6 icetime? He hadn't earned it yet.

Same reason XO and Sproul didn't suit up.. over someone like Brett Skinner. The fact that Pulkkinen played as many games as he did is damn impressive. There's a reason the organization is high on him.

Nyquist, Andersson, and Mursak are all exceptions to that because of the time they put in with the team. Dekeyser is a bit of a different situation considering the coaching staff is very familiar with him. AA's injury opened up the icetime for him.
Not that silly. Pulkkinen is a year older than Jurco and has played pro hockey with men for a few years now.

Old
08-20-2013, 02:27 PM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnz96 View Post
Not that silly. Pulkkinen is a year older than Jurco and has played pro hockey with men for a few years now.
Exactly the reason why he's more polished than Jurco who played against junior kids previously. He's farther along in his development. I'm not calling him a better prospect. Just like it took Jurco time to adjust to the AHL game early this season, it's not going to happen instantly for Pulkkinen. He did well in the time he played though.

But bringing him in from overseas to practice with the team doesn't instantly gift him a permanent roster spot.. from productive players who have played entire season(s) in Grand Rapids already. Don't forget Jurco was heating up at the end of the season and playing really well.

Old
08-22-2013, 05:20 AM
ChadS

Melèn listed at 190/73 or about 6'3"/161 on their roster, and will wear #69...

http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Info...ster/3941#TAIF

Old
08-22-2013, 06:17 AM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
Melèn listed at 190/73 or about 6'3"/161 on their roster, and will wear #69...

http://stats.swehockey.se/Teams/Info...ster/3941#TAIF
What's wrong with 69?

Old
08-22-2013, 07:00 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Melèn listed at 190/73 or about 6'3"/161 on their roster
He is so thin that I'm pretty sure they will pretty much recommend the NCAA -route for him with a Nyquist-style. Then he has many years to fill up physically.

There's also the possibility to keep him on Sweden for 4 years, because the rights for Europeans last now longer. But still I think at NCAA could work better in his case, because he would play less games and could concentrate more for weight training and get an education at same time.

Old
08-22-2013, 10:40 AM
Spitfire11

Quote:
What's wrong with 69?
Classic number worn by every beer league team's designated ****** bag

Old
08-22-2013, 12:01 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henkka View Post
He is so thin that I'm pretty sure they will pretty much recommend the NCAA -route for him with a Nyquist-style. Then he has many years to fill up physically.

There's also the possibility to keep him on Sweden for 4 years, because the rights for Europeans last now longer. But still I think at NCAA could work better in his case, because he would play less games and could concentrate more for weight training and get an education at same time.
I was thinking that the NCAA could be an option for Bodin as well. I doubt it would keep him from becoming a UFA, but it is a very good place for project-type players/prospects.

Old
08-23-2013, 05:34 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Mlive has a new article up talking about Janmark. It seems like he could be on his way over to North America as early as next season, at least that's the way I interpreted the sentence.

Quote:
He understands that's almost the equivalent of winning the lottery and isn't planning on beginning his North American pro career for another year.
He doesn't actually say he is coming over but it's implied that after his contract is up this year he'll come over next year. I think even after this year we still have a bit of cramped forward corp in GR, I can only see 1 or 2 of Ferraro, Sheahan & Glendening moving into the NHL & then add Mantha, Athanasiou & possibly Janmark into the mix. All 3 of them need time in the top 9 to properly develop so it'll be tight for playing time.

Old
08-24-2013, 01:15 AM
Johnz96*

mistake

Old
08-24-2013, 01:18 AM
Johnz96*

Quote:
What's wrong with 69?

Old
08-24-2013, 05:37 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Also, just noticed that a pre-season game for Melen's team will be streamed here next Saturday: http://www.livearena.com/Content/Index/5411 I think it's available to watch for at least 24h after that as well.
This will start in about 30min. Melèn #69 in white.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:53 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
"I didn't get the opportunity (in London) as much as I wanted and as much as I deserved," said Athanasiou. "Barrie gave me a little more (ice time) and you can see I made the most of it. I didn't think it was more confidence. I always have confidence in myself.

"I know I have the ability to play. I have the speed and I have the hands. I can think the game really well. It's just the opportunity I can get and it builds from there."

"Look at the players who are in there now," he said. "I played with all of them in under-17 and under-18. If you look at under-17, I was an All-Star there. I know I have the ability to play. I have the speed. I know (the Red Wings) take their time here but if I can make the jump as quickly as possible I know I can.

"I have the ability. My resume shows that. You can look back. I've had success. Everywhere I go, I do the best I can. I know if I get the opportunity I can produce. When you play with better players, you'll always be able to.

"If you put me alongside some of the NHLers, I know I'll be able to play for sure.''
Quote:
"Coming into every season, I never set goals like I want to score, how many points I want to get. I want to win. That's my mindset right now. (Leading the OHL in scoring) would mean a lot but individual success comes from team success. If we have a successful team, I'll have individual success."

"It's just growing, getting older," Athanasiou said. "Growing into a man, I guess. I'm still young. I have a late birthday. I'm in August. I developed a little bit later. I know it's coming. My older brother is 6-foot-4 so you never know. I could get ... another inch or two.
http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index....wings_pro.html

Old
08-29-2013, 07:11 AM
Henkka

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
What an epic quote. He says almost 40 times "I", "me" or "my".

Talk about self-confidence. Hopefully not in a bad way. We need also selfish finishers in the mix.

Quote:
"I always like to win. Ever since I was a kid, I've been a winner. If you look at my resume, I win. When I come into the season, I want to win. Next year my goal is to win the Memorial Cup. That's all I want to do, just win the Memorial Cup.

Last edited by Henkka: 08-29-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old
08-29-2013, 10:11 AM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Jesus. He sounds obsessed with himself.

I really don't like this quote:

Quote:
"I didn't get the opportunity (in London) as much as I wanted and as much as I deserved," said Athanasiou.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:59 AM
kuick
Tatar Sauce

Well, he's not wrong.

Old
08-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuick View Post
Well, he's not wrong.
According to a lot of people in London (including the Knights organization), he is.

Old
08-29-2013, 03:07 PM
InjuredChoker

Corey Pronman's rankings and description of Wings top 10 prospects.

Quote:
1. Gustav Nyquist, Right Wing
2. Calle Jarnkrok, Center
3. Danny DeKeyser, Defense
4. Tomas Tatar, Left Wing
5. Anthony Mantha, Left Wing
6. Xavier Ouellet, Defense
7. Tomas Jurco, Right Wing
8. Mattias Backman, Defense
9. Martin Frk, Right Wing
10. Ryan Sproul, Defense
Yes, no Mrazek there. Pronman thinks goalies are more or less crapshoot and there isn't major difference between average goalie and elite goalie. And so on.

fwiw

Old
08-29-2013, 04:59 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Jesus. He sounds obsessed with himself.

I really don't like this quote:
His I want to win doesn't really scan with his move away from the best team in the OHL. He clearly does care more about his personal goals than he is letting on. Hey he is a confident kid, but some of it screams over confidence. I don't see much of the hockey IQ he has given himself, the hands and speed absolutely. His frame is something to be excited about and he could indeed grow another inch. But he has plenty of things to work on and using those talented linemates he wants is going to be a very big deal and he does very little of that right now.

At the end of the day though, most high-end athletes are extremely confident in their abilities. Just wish he would dial it back a little whenever he had a beat writer around him.

Anybody else though love to hear the "if" I lead the OHL in points.... That would be nice.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:02 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Zetterberg Era View Post
His I want to win doesn't really scan with his move away from the best team in the OHL. He clearly does care more about his personal goals than he is letting on. Hey he is a confident kid, but some of it screams over confidence. I don't see much of the hockey IQ he has given himself, the hands and speed absolutely. His frame is something to be excited about and he could indeed grow another inch. But he has plenty of things to work on and using those talented linemates he wants is going to be a very big deal and he does very little of that right now.

At the end of the day though, most high-end athletes are extremely confident in their abilities. Just wish he would dial it back a little whenever he had a beat writer around him.

Anybody else though love to hear the "if" I lead the OHL in points.... That would be nice.

Every athlete wants to play. If he was only getting 10 minutes a night on a championship team I'd leave to and play near 20 on a playoff team. Sometimes (especially when young) you have to do things for yourself and not the team.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:26 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Every athlete wants to play. If he was only getting 10 minutes a night on a championship team I'd leave to and play near 20 on a playoff team. Sometimes (especially when young) you have to do things for yourself and not the team.
That is fine and quite frankly it is better for us, so I am sure the Wings were all for it. But that isn't what he was saying in parts of this interview.

Quote:
If we have a successful team, I'll have individual success.
Except in London I guess.

I am happy he left, I think it was better for us, what I want him to do is tone some of this down in interviews.

Curious if some of this is over not being at Team Canada camp, probably has a lot to prove there and I think he will get off to a big start because of this. He was invited at the lower levels.

This attitude will probably serve him well until he talks out of turn on Blashill or Babcock.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:32 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Once that Unibrow comes together and the hair starts falling out.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
newfy

I've said it since day 1 but hes a selfish guy and thats why the entire knights squad disliked him. It wasnt just him wanting out, they werent exactly gung ho on keeping him around either

Old
08-29-2013, 06:10 PM
Konnan511
#Loyalty

Send a message via AIM to Konnan511
I don't care if he is Ocho Cinco or TO or Yzerman, as long as he produces.

Closed Thread