HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

should i shoot left or right?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-05-2006, 10:16 AM
  #1
nki
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 2,182
vCash: 500
should i shoot left or right?

I'm right handed and shoot right, the problem is when i have to use only one hand since it's the left one. I tried to switch hands but it feels more natural to have left hand on top, i do everything better that way (yes even stickhandling) except when it comes to anything connected with using only one hand.

What should I do? I was thinking to add some muscles to left hand but i don't know if it's going to improve anything or should i force myself to switch hands (i already tried it, i'm not that bad at all but my stickhandling and shooting are a bit worse).

I'm not really good at english. I'm sorry if i wasn't clear enough.

nki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 10:59 AM
  #2
daynus
Registered User
 
daynus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Good Ole Saskatchewan
Posts: 1,788
vCash: 500
do what ever you are most comfertable with.

i am right handed also, and i shoot left. to me it just doesn't feel right, to shoot right, but if you are comfertable with it, keep doing it. no need to change.

daynus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 11:15 AM
  #3
Doctor No
Retired
 
Doctor No's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 23,393
vCash: 500
If you pick up a broom to sweep with, which way do you use it? That's what I would recommend.

Doctor No is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 12:55 PM
  #4
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
Can you puck handle LH? Can you shoot LH? Do you feel comfortable LH? If so, try it. If not, work on your forearm strength... Hell, even if you stay RH work on your arm muscles.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-05-2006, 01:53 PM
  #5
Emmy Cate
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Trenton, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 76
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Emmy Cate Send a message via Yahoo to Emmy Cate
I'm the same way too... I've tried it, played afew games with it but yeah

try a stick that doesn't curve... its easier if you want to experiment

Emmy Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
  #6
hockeystud938
Registered User
 
hockeystud938's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 110
vCash: 500
go with what feels good to you

hockeystud938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 07:13 PM
  #7
Gino 14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 812
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
If you pick up a broom to sweep with, which way do you use it? That's what I would recommend.
When I started, I used it the same way I use a shovel (we have horses). It felt awkward going the other way. I am right handed, shoot left.

Gino 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 07:23 PM
  #8
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
I don't understand the question...

I shoot right, and am right handed. When I have one hand on the stick, I feel more comfortable with my right hand. So I just switch the stick to my other hand, it doesn't cause me problems...

__________________
Yours in Christ,

waffledave
waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
  #9
Jeffw-13
Registered User
 
Jeffw-13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 382
vCash: 500
Sometimes at practice when there's a little time to mess around I'll skate around and stickhandle using only my top hand, going in all directions.

Seems to help.

Jeffw-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
  #10
TBLfan
Registered User
 
TBLfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Tampa, FL
Posts: 1,148
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TBLfan
^^ it can be troublesome when you need to get rid of the puck fast because now you're set to shoot left handed with a right handed stick.

TBLfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
  #11
TerrieRizer*
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Billerica,MA
Country: United States
Posts: 788
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TerrieRizer*
I'm a righty and I find that I get much more power on my shots when Shooting Righty. If you're ambidextrous(meaning have equal strength in both arms) then you can shoot either way. As for the one hand on the stick, I usually take my top hand off and hold it with the right as I'm curling around a defender.

TerrieRizer* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-07-2006, 10:12 PM
  #12
Plato
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Plato's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: New York
Country: Greece
Posts: 9,174
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor No View Post
If you pick up a broom to sweep with, which way do you use it? That's what I would recommend.

Plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-08-2006, 09:34 AM
  #13
EmptyNetter
Registered User
 
EmptyNetter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: North Shore, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 7,541
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrieRizer View Post
I'm a righty and I find that I get much more power on my shots when Shooting Righty. If you're ambidextrous(meaning have equal strength in both arms) then you can shoot either way. As for the one hand on the stick, I usually take my top hand off and hold it with the right as I'm curling around a defender.
Interesting. But do you handle the stick differently if you're pushing the puck up ice on a breakaway? Just curious.

As for nki, I'd say keep shooting righty and start strength training in your left arm. Work your tricep and your grip most of all. IMO it would be easier for you to make your left arm stronger than to teach it to stickhandle. Until your left is strong enough you can just use both hands on your stick.

EmptyNetter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 09:59 AM
  #14
ModSquad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Haiti
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Dominant hand should be on top of the stick. Since you have better dexterity with your dominant hand, that is the hand that you stickhandle with.

When you shoot, it is a push/pull action...you pull with the top hand and push with the bottom. You need the stronger hand to pull, because the pushing is simplified with your weight transfer.

Look at the NHL - almost 70:30 left to right.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 11:04 AM
  #15
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModSquad View Post
Dominant hand should be on top of the stick. Since you have better dexterity with your dominant hand, that is the hand that you stickhandle with.

When you shoot, it is a push/pull action...you pull with the top hand and push with the bottom. You need the stronger hand to pull, because the pushing is simplified with your weight transfer.

Look at the NHL - almost 70:30 left to right.
I don't really agree...My dominant hand is my right hand and I shoot right (ie my left hand is on top of the stick). I can't do anthing with my right hand on top...When I stickhandle, it's the hand lower on the stick doing most of the work, and when I shoot, the power comes from the hand lower on the stick.

I can't imagine how the "pull" action is what gives the shot most of its power.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 11:49 AM
  #16
crashlanding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
I don't really agree...My dominant hand is my right hand and I shoot right (ie my left hand is on top of the stick). I can't do anthing with my right hand on top...When I stickhandle, it's the hand lower on the stick doing most of the work, and when I shoot, the power comes from the hand lower on the stick.

I can't imagine how the "pull" action is what gives the shot most of its power.
You probably can't do anything now with your dominant hand on top because that's not how you learned to play the game. If you started out with your dominant hand on top you'd probably be saying the opposite.

I'd like to second Doctor No's suggestion, play the way you'd sweep with a broom.

I'm a weird person. I write with my left hand, throw with my right, and I play hockey "right handed." My parents bought me a left handed stick when I was younger and, before I knew anything about hockey really, I used it like a right handed stick...(I had a wicked backhand ) The pulling with the top hand works for me because when I shoot I use the stick like a lever with my bottom hand as the fulcrum. So when the stick hits the ice I use my top hand to flex it, if that makes sense.

Back on topic, try out both sides and go with whichever one feels more comfortable. If they are both equally (un)comfortable I'd suggest playing the way you play golf/bat/throw/do other sports because it will make it easier for you to transfer your weight while shooting if it's similar to the way you do it in other sports.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 12:03 PM
  #17
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
You probably can't do anything now with your dominant hand on top because that's not how you learned to play the game. If you started out with your dominant hand on top you'd probably be saying the opposite.

I'd like to second Doctor No's suggestion, play the way you'd sweep with a broom.

I'm a weird person. I write with my left hand, throw with my right, and I play hockey "right handed." My parents bought me a left handed stick when I was younger and, before I knew anything about hockey really, I used it like a right handed stick...(I had a wicked backhand ) The pulling with the top hand works for me because when I shoot I use the stick like a lever with my bottom hand as the fulcrum. So when the stick hits the ice I use my top hand to flex it, if that makes sense.

Back on topic, try out both sides and go with whichever one feels more comfortable. If they are both equally (un)comfortable I'd suggest playing the way you play golf/bat/throw/do other sports because it will make it easier for you to transfer your weight while shooting if it's similar to the way you do it in other sports.
That's interesting...I didn't think it had anything to do with how you were taught...I just picked up a stick when I was a kid and this is what felt best for me. Nobody ever corrected me, and I have a better shot than most people I know. I can also stickhandle pretty well

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 05:36 PM
  #18
crashlanding
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 7,605
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
That's interesting...I didn't think it had anything to do with how you were taught...I just picked up a stick when I was a kid and this is what felt best for me. Nobody ever corrected me, and I have a better shot than most people I know. I can also stickhandle pretty well
I just meant that it has a lot to do with how you played when you learned the game. If you worked hard at being the opposite handedness when you first started, it would feel more natural today.

I also don't mean that there's no other way to shoot the puck, I was just explaining the pulling thing. I'm not being critical of how anyone plays the game, I'm just trying to explain different schools of thought.

crashlanding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 10:03 PM
  #19
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashlanding View Post
I just meant that it has a lot to do with how you played when you learned the game. If you worked hard at being the opposite handedness when you first started, it would feel more natural today.

I also don't mean that there's no other way to shoot the puck, I was just explaining the pulling thing. I'm not being critical of how anyone plays the game, I'm just trying to explain different schools of thought.
No no I knew you weren't being critical, I just found it interesting is all.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-09-2006, 10:45 PM
  #20
ModSquad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Haiti
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
So you are telling me that you push down with both hands when you shoot?

Try flexing a stick and then get back to me.

Pulling with the top hand and using your weight/momentum on your lower hand is how you load the stick to flex.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-10-2006, 12:09 AM
  #21
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ModSquad View Post
So you are telling me that you push down with both hands when you shoot?

Try flexing a stick and then get back to me.

Pulling with the top hand and using your weight/momentum on your lower hand is how you load the stick to flex.
I have never had any problems doing it my way. I've played hockey for close to 15 years now.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 12:09 AM
  #22
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Okay, so nevermind what I said...After hockey on Friday I realize what you guys have been saying...I thought since I'm right handed, my dominant hand is my right, but it's not.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 12:11 AM
  #23
waffledave
waffledave, from hf
 
waffledave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 20,421
vCash: 500
Also, I realized that the power of my shot comes from my left hand (on top of the stick) but my right hand (bottom) controls where the shot goes.

waffledave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 01:58 AM
  #24
mach777
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nki View Post
I'm right handed and shoot right, the problem is when i have to use only one hand since it's the left one. I tried to switch hands but it feels more natural to have left hand on top, i do everything better that way (yes even stickhandling) except when it comes to anything connected with using only one hand.
It is obvious from your description that your a "righty". Your left hand strength will catch up the more you use it. I wouldn't try to change that.

I'm right handed and I shoot right. Left hand strength develops over time, but yes you will always be a tad weaker when using only one hand. There are other benefits from keeping your mainhand strength down the stick though, you will be very strong on the stick along the boards and have a wicked hard shot. =)

mach777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 10:11 PM
  #25
ModSquad
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Country: Haiti
Posts: 141
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by waffledave View Post
Okay, so nevermind what I said...After hockey on Friday I realize what you guys have been saying...I thought since I'm right handed, my dominant hand is my right, but it's not.
It is hard to picture it when you're sitting behind a keyboard and not shooting the puck, but I'm glad that you realize it.

ModSquad is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:53 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.