HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Kimmo Timonen (foot) August 27, 2013 update (post #92)

Old
08-28-2013, 10:55 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
I doubt Timonen plays beyond this season. I probably shouldn't doubt the Warrior but with the Olympics thrown in I can't see his body lasting much beyond a half a season as usual and he'll want to retire and the Flyers should want him to retire especially at his price tag. We need the cash to try and secure a legit big minutes D man in the Pronger mold if that is even possible of course. They don't grow on trees or are easily available unless you trade the farm for them.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:40 AM
Curufinwe

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Timonen may wear added protection around the skate...

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...my-last-season
The whole team should at least try wearing them.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I think I'm gonna get a Kickstarter going. I want to fund a series of moon missions to carve Timonen's bust onto the lunar surface so he will always be smiling down upon us from above.

Anybody have a buck or two to chip in? I figure 300 dollars ought to do it. We've been to the moon already and tech is a lot better now, how expensive could it possibly be?

08-28-2013, 02:06 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
the Flyers should want him to retire especially at his price tag. We need the cash to try and secure a legit big minutes D man in the Pronger mold if that is even possible of course. They don't grow on trees or are easily available unless you trade the farm for them.

What?! If im the flyers, I keep Timonen as long as he can play and contribute. Wow.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:49 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevindank View Post
What?! If im the flyers, I keep Timonen as long as he can play and contribute. Wow.
6 million is just a bit much for half a season don't you think? It's a bit much for a guy who can just "play and contribute" as well. wow

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Kevin Danko
Web Design

vCash: 897
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
6 million is just a bit much for half a season don't you think? It's a bit much for a guy who can just "play and contribute" as well. wow
To use a phrase i saw earlier, Timonen calibre players don't grow on trees and i'd take him for half a season with no hesitation.

Kevin Danko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:13 PM
hockeyfreak7

Timonen put up 53 point pace last season. Even if he tailed off severely, he'd still have been a lock for 40+.

Sure, he's not what he once was, but he's an incredible presence on the ice, and currently the only player who can actually control the game from the backend.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:19 PM
LegionOfDoom91

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?p...9#.Uh6hSaa9LCR
Quote:
For all of these reasons, Kimmo Timonen is still worth his weight in gold to the Flyers. It would be very good news indeed for the organization if he is healthy and effective enough to play beyond next season. Each additional year he plays is one more year of the Flyers having their blueline leader. If all goes well, it also would bring the organization one year closer to bridging the gap between the current, expensive and veteran-heavy defense lineup.the emergence of some younger talents on entry-level contracts in the years to come.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:26 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm a huge Timonen fan and when people are razzing him during the season b/c he seems a step behind for whatever reason (usually due to an injury) I tend to bite my tongue. Having said this, while I agree he is a steadying presence in the Mark Howe mold ...if there are some serious and obvious issues with needing a big minutes D man to fill the Pronger void that remains unfilled (and one can be had by some miracle) I'm not sure how prudent it is to tie up money in Timonen for another season even at spot duty? I'm just thinking pragmatically from a business standpoint....

Old
08-28-2013, 08:34 PM
hockeyfreak7

Quote:
I'm a huge Timonen fan and when people are razzing him during the season b/c he seems a step behind for whatever reason (usually due to an injury) I tend to bite my tongue. Having said this, while I agree he is a steadying presence in the Mark Howe mold ...if there are some serious and obvious issues with needing a big minutes D man to fill the Pronger void that remains unfilled (and one can be had by some miracle) I'm not sure how prudent it is to tie up money in Timonen for another season even at spot duty? I'm just thinking pragmatically from a business standpoint....
I highly doubt he'd be re-upping for $6m per year. And anything sub-5m would be excellent value for what he (still) brings to the table. I understand what you're saying, but I have no fear that Holmgren will still manage to land said Pronger replacement if he becomes available whilst retaining Timonen.

hockeyfreak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Flyerss

vCash: 224
there is no way he is getting less than 4m if he have a bad season and if he have a 40pts season then it's another 6m and the cap would be an issue the Goalies,Read,Schenn,Giroux's extension

Edit: is the cap going up next year?

Flyerss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 08:43 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerss View Post
there is no way he is getting less than 4m if he have a bad season and if he have a 40pts season then it's another 6m and the cap would be an issue the Goalies,Read,Schenn,Giroux's extension

Edit: is the cap going up next year?
I think the only way he comes back for another year is if he's still able to handle it & whether or not the Flyers are contenders.

Most expect the cap to raise above $70M+ again.

LegionOfDoom91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Curufinwe

He might be better defensively this year if those fenders can prevent another bad foot injury.

Curufinwe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curufinwe View Post
He might be better defensively this year if those fenders can prevent another bad foot injury.
The more likely reason Timmo would play better is if we can save him some minutes with other players over the course of the regular reason. To me, there's not a lot of wisdom in trying to make him a 22+ minute a game defender when Coburn, Schenn, Grossmann and Mezsaros/Gus with younger legs.

I'd prefer something like this:
Coburn 22
Schenn 22
Gus 20
Streit 18-20
Kimmo 18-20
Grossmann 18-20

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:08 AM
lancer247

I know it won't happen but with the make up of this team I would love to see Giroux and Kimmo spared from PK duties. I can't see him playing less then 20 mins but if they can reduce his hard minutes on the PK where his instincts are going always be to step in front of a shot and when he will be battling two players, most often larger then he is, for the puck.

Coburn - Schenn
Grossman - Mez/Gus

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:47 AM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
I doubt Timonen plays beyond this season. I probably shouldn't doubt the Warrior but with the Olympics thrown in I can't see his body lasting much beyond a half a season as usual and he'll want to retire and the Flyers should want him to retire especially at his price tag. We need the cash to try and secure a legit big minutes D man in the Pronger mold if that is even possible of course. They don't grow on trees or are easily available unless you trade the farm for them.
It'd be pretty awesome if Kimmo took the Selanne route and signed with us for about 2.5 half way through next year. That way he gets his extra rest and we get a rested top pairing dman for a playoff push. Would also take pressure off any young men playing in their rookie year

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:10 PM
SeanCWombBroom
DownieFaceSoftener

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...my-last-season

Kimmo may play another year after this one.

SeanCWombBroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:23 PM
Fragmuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyguy View Post
It'd be pretty awesome if Kimmo took the Selanne route and signed with us for about 2.5 half way through next year. That way he gets his extra rest and we get a rested top pairing dman for a playoff push. Would also take pressure off any young men playing in their rookie year
The fact he got 6mil for this season kinda tells me that he's not willing to take to big of a discount for the next one.

Fragmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:43 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
So, how will Timonen really know whether to hang up his skates after the 2013-14 season?

Ill know if Im struggling or cant get to the level of my play or a bunch of injuries comes along, Timonen said. You never know what will happen, but those things factor in to whether this is my last year.
My translation: "If Emery and Mason play like Bryz..I'm outta here"

Old
08-29-2013, 12:54 PM
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28

vCash: 300
I hope Kimmo plays for the Flyers forever.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:04 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
You can't take Kimmo off the PK. He's our best PKer.

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 02:21 PM
flyersfan018

Quote:
I agree with this to an extent but I feel like if Kimmo can come down on his price for the next season we can still make room for a top defender.

flyersfan018 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 08:01 PM
flyguy
Sean Cubeturier

Send a message via AIM to flyguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fragmuffin View Post
The fact he got 6mil for this season kinda tells me that he's not willing to take to big of a discount for the next one.
It'd be for half a season though.

flyguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:22 PM
TheKingPin

Kimmo is a smart player and they can usually extend their careers pretty far out, similar to lidstrom. The cons are that he would cost a lot and it would "clog" a spot for any young guy coming in. His play is not a con.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:37 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Kimmo is a smart player and they can usually extend their careers pretty far out, similar to lidstrom. The cons are that he would cost a lot and it would "clog" a spot for any young guy coming in. His play is not a con.
I don't think signing him to a contract next season would "clog" up a spot as the young guys most definitely won't be ready for a couple years. Cap is another issue entirely but we don't know how things could change in a years time (trades, goalie situation etc).

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote