HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The hesitant role of Tomas Plekanec

Old
08-29-2013, 10:20 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
As we're heading to training camp, I can't help but wonder what role Plekanec will be given this year and which responsabilities will he assumes in the lineup this year. He have developped into a solid two-way player, borderline not-quite 1st line center.

He used to play against toughest competitions, in order to shutdown best opponents offensive players while providing a bit of offence. In order to do this he have to play with similar players, guys like Gionta, Bourque... who can also backcheck and play a solid defensive sound game.

Every team needs a center like him to take faceoff, face the other team best line, play on the PK, etc. But is it really Plekanec's job for next year? It sure can't be Desharnais (too small, not good enough in his own zone) or Galchenyuk (we don't want him to develop into that). Prust is more likely to play wing. So it leaves Eller which does have a similar skillset, while being bigger.

Reason I ask myself this is because Plekanec can be our most dangerous pivot. He's the natural choice to play with Brière, Pacioretty.. Because Brière can't really play on the same line of Plekanec if we ask him to play against the other team best line.

If we want to have a at least one trio oriented to attack maybe we should give Plekanec duties to someone else, like Eller, and let him concentrate on offence a bit more. Then I wouldnt be reluncant so much to have this lineup:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Brière (offensive line)
Gallagher - Galchenyuk - Bourque (aggressive forechecking lin)
Gionta - Eller - Prust (shutdown line, can also provide offence)
Moen - Desharnais - White (checking line, Desharnais getting PP time)
I think it's realistic for Plekanec to be given a bit less defensive responsibility this year, that would probably help bump up his offensive numbers by 8-10 points(more energy for offense and less defensive zone starts). If you have Prust Moen on the 4th line they can also take a fair bit of defensive zone starts.

I wouldn't say Plekanec isn't a #1 center...but he isn't a high end, top 12-15 center like Stamkos Crosby Datsyuk Tavares Towes Kopitar Malkin Giroux Sedin Getzlaf Backstrom, he is more in the 2nd tier which can change and go from #13/15 to #30/35 dependin on opinions and who is playing well or poorly. Our hope is Galchenyuk develops into a top 15 guy that can put up 85-90 points, then Plekanec or Eller can be a high end #2.

Monctonscout is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:31 AM
LePoche69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBusiness View Post
I think Desharnais will do well in a checking role, his strength really is forechecking and hitting. I'm expecting him to lead the forwards in hits next season.
Me too. And if he drops the gloves 5 to 10 times this year, Habs are in business. Wise decision to hire Parros as a mentor.

LePoche69 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:35 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
... "Bad" referred to how he passed my eyeball test. Not much to do with production.
I'm with you on that one.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:46 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxpac View Post
The day Tomas Plekanec becomes our 3rd line center, we'll be Stanley cup contenders.
At least the centers are already in our team, just waiting for them to develop.

Not wanting to make this another DD thread but the reason why I want him gone is because the longer he stays here, the longer it will affect Eller's and Galchenyuk's progression as centers.

Rosso Scuderia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:53 AM
Habsterix*
@Habsterix

If only Plekanec was better on faceoffs, he'd be in the category of Patrice Bergeron. That's the only thing missing in his game, in my opinion, to be acknowledged for the Selke Trophy.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:56 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
If only Plekanec was better on faceoffs, he'd be in the category of Patrice Bergeron. That's the only thing missing in his game, in my opinion, to be acknowledged for the Selke Trophy.
A few percentage points on faceoffs really doesn't translate to much in game, if anything.

Although I don't disagree that it holds a lot of value for the voting process.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 11:57 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

I want Tomas to be/have this role:

"guy most likely to be traded"

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:06 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris Le Tigre View Post
I want Tomas to be/have this role:

"guy most likely to be traded"
straw that stirs the drink kind of player. I don't think he's going anywhere anytime.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:11 PM

Ideally, I'd like Plekanec to get less minutes on the PP and in offensive situations...have him focus on being the main shutdown center of this team and not have the burden of carrying the offense at the same time.

The Habs coaching staff will have to find ways to get Galchenyuk/Eller more ice time in key situations this year.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:18 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MXD View Post
I sortof agree with this. Pricetag is high for 3rd center, but yeah. That COULD happen as soon as 2014-15.
Price tag is just fine since the 1st and 2nd liner C will mak much less than him in 14/15 for example and the Habs don't have a bunch of elite wingers like other contenders taking up cap.

Watsatheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 12:30 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Ideally, I'd like Plekanec to get less minutes on the PP and in offensive situations...have him focus on being the main shutdown center of this team and not have the burden of carrying the offense at the same time.

The Habs coaching staff will have to find ways to get Galchenyuk/Eller more ice time in key situations this year.
Plekanec barely gets any offensive situations...that's taken care of. Why take our leading PP point getting forward off the PP when there're ample scrubs getting similar PP minutes producing little....

Plekanec: 2:58 PP/game gets 15 PP points in 47 games
Pacioretty: 3:05 PP/game gets 12 PP points in 44 games

Gionta: 2:57 PP/game gets 7 PP points in 48 games
Desharnais: 2:53 PP/game gets 7 PP points in 48 games

Old
08-29-2013, 01:35 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Desharnais on the 4th line... And Briere was very bad at RW, btw.

Man these lineups are ugly. Individually, it's all OK players. But as a group?

Wouldn't want to be Therrien there. It's near impossible to arrange 4 lines with this. You've got 5 or 6 guys that are more suited as centers and you have to manage 4 small players (DD, Briere, Gionta, Gallagher) in the top 9.

At this point, if I'm the coach, I seriously consider DD on the wing. He's a smart player, maybe he can adapt his game.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:36 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Quote:
I wholeheartedly agree. Plekanec has enough offensive upside to play the role he's been given since joining the NHL, but the ideal situation would be to have him be our go to guy when it comes to shutting down the opposition.

Having him play top minutes on both the PP and PK is a mistake IMO, he's at his best on the PK and capitalizes more often than not on turnovers.

Strik_IX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:37 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. Plekanec has enough offensive upside to play the role he's been given since joining the NHL, but the ideal situation would be to have him be our go to guy when it comes to shutting down the opposition.

Having him play top minutes on both the PP and PK is a mistake IMO, he's at his best on the PK and capitalizes more often than not on turnovers.
But.. he's one of if not our best on the PP. This makes no sense.

And taking PP time away from your top center is a sure fire way to piss him off.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 01:41 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Desharnais on the 4th line... And Briere was very bad at RW, btw.

Man these lineups are ugly. Individually, it's all OK players. But as a group?

Wouldn't want to be Therrien there. It's near impossible to arrange 4 lines with this. You've got 5 or 6 guys that are more suited as centers and you have to manage 4 small players (DD, Briere, Gionta, Gallagher) in the top 9.

At this point, if I'm the coach, I seriously consider DD on the wing. He's a smart player, maybe he can adapt his game.
Maybe he'll get his face smashed in the glass too. He's a disaster on the wing if you ask me and, before anyone brings it up, no, it's not because a guy of similar stature (Gionta) can handle it that Desharnais can.

Double D is the odd man out if the Habs want to groom Galchenyuk to become our #1 center, we'd have Chuckie-Eller-Plex as our top 3 and I am quite comfortable with that. I think DD gets traded at the deadline so we can get to that ideal situation.

Old
08-29-2013, 01:49 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

And taking PP time away from your top center is a sure fire way to piss him off.
How many minutes did the kids have on the PP last year? I bet you they can outproduce Plek if they are given the same kind of minutes.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't take him off the PP, I'd just give him 2nd PP duties instead of first. The guy is our Patrice Bergeron and he should be used as such.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Plekanec barely gets any offensive situations...that's taken care of. Why take our leading PP point getting forward off the PP when there're ample scrubs getting similar PP minutes producing little....

Plekanec: 2:58 PP/game gets 15 PP points in 47 games
Pacioretty: 3:05 PP/game gets 12 PP points in 44 games

Gionta: 2:57 PP/game gets 7 PP points in 48 games
Desharnais: 2:53 PP/game gets 7 PP points in 48 games
That's simply not true...Plekanec had ample PP time last year. I think he would be more effective if we reduced his PP time (despite his decent production while on the PP) and kept him for tough minutes at ES & PK.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 03:26 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
That's simply not true...Plekanec had ample PP time last year. I think he would be more effective if we reduced his PP time (despite his decent production while on the PP) and kept him for tough minutes at ES & PK.
More effective how?

Plekanec had a higher Points per minute ratio than Markov on the PP. If you want to give the kids more PP time it comes out of Desharnais time. If you want to keep Plekanec fesh so he's more effective you reduce his defensive responsibilities. What you're saying makes no sense. He'll be less effective if all we do is play him on the PK and in defensive situations.

Sorinth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 04:10 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
The day Tomas Plekanec becomes our 3rd line center, we'll be Stanley cup contenders.
The day Plekanec becomes our second line center, we will be a contender..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 05:15 PM
theboss*

Quote:
Galchenyuk
Eller
Pleks

theboss* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 05:21 PM
Brainiac

vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strik_IX View Post
Maybe he'll get his face smashed in the glass too. He's a disaster on the wing if you ask me and, before anyone brings it up, no, it's not because a guy of similar stature (Gionta) can handle it that Desharnais can.

Double D is the odd man out if the Habs want to groom Galchenyuk to become our #1 center, we'd have Chuckie-Eller-Plex as our top 3 and I am quite comfortable with that. I think DD gets traded at the deadline so we can get to that ideal situation.
You are probably right, but I would still rather try it instead of having him centering the 4th line. Just give it a try, it may work.

The key point, as you wrote next, is that having Galchenyuk at center is critical for the long term. The thing is, I doubt that DD will be traded. Not right after he was extended.

Brainiac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 05:43 PM
S Bah

When the core players become fathers the drive for five will begin, Tomas leading the way and Carey right with him. Amazing how people's drive to succeed increases with families of their own, teamwork becomes paramount in their lives. Hockey being a game where teamwork is absolutely crucial to success, basically mirrors humanities drive to survive. That's where character comes into the equation more than any other time in ones life and the Canadiens have always known these type of players excel in the playoffs.

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 06:11 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Turtleneck is there for one thing, wear the turtleneck and nothing else. He's the badass gangsta with the turtleneck that's his role.

vokiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Literally 1st or 2nd highest PP point producing Habs forward for 4 straight seasons and somehow it's a good idea to cut HIS PP time to give Eller/Galchenyuk more icetime. Makes no sense to me.

Quote:
I'm referring to ES minutes...you said "PP and offensive situations". Why separate it into two words unless you were referring ES and PP. He's in a shutdown defensive role full time last couple seasons. The last time he was given more of an offensive role at ES he put up 70 points on the season - even then it wasn't soft exploitation minutes.

He our best PP forward...using Plekanec in the way you suggest is a waste of his offense. If anything, his PK minutes should be cut down so keep him from breaking down/getting tired. A ton of players can kill penalties. As I showed, there are plenty of scrubs on the roster getting similar PP minutes and producing a fraction of what he does.

Last edited by Watsatheo: 08-29-2013 at 07:44 PM.
Old
08-29-2013, 10:44 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
Galchenyuk
Eller
Pleks
That's the plan, I hope.

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote