HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Looks At Swiss League For Help, Again?

Old
11-11-2006, 04:29 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

vCash: 50
Habs Looks At Swiss League For Help, Again?

According to Jeremy Rainville from CKAC, quoting some Swiss newspaper ("Le Matin" or some like that), the Habs have started negociations with another Swiss defenseman in hopes of bringing him over next year.

His name is Goran Bezina. He is Croatian, playing for Geneve-Servette in the Swiss League. He was an 8th round pick of Phoenix in 1999. He played 3 games in the NHL in 2003-04 and played 3 seasons in the AHL previously. He left because Phoenix wouldn't give him a shot in the NHL. He's a 6'4", 220 pounds south paw with a booming shot and good offensive abilities.

When reached for comment in Germany, Pierre Gauthier said he wouldn't comment because it was "Too Dangerous".

Smells like another auction, and this time, the Habs can't draft him because he's already drafted. He's UFA, a defected draft pick.

Phil Parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 04:37 PM
pavlako11

vCash: 500
Well I guess he's just added insurance seeing as we have a few UFA's ourselves on defense and Ninimaa has... umm.... 1 assist in 14GP.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 04:41 PM
MXD

As long as it doesn't have anything to do with problems with signing one of our D playing in Europe (cough... cough... Emelin ... cough... cough) I don't have any problem with this.

MXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 04:42 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

He's got a killer tattoo.

"I like the Phoenix mythos where he rises from his ashes. I like the idea of being invincible." - Goran Bezina.

And yeah, he got that before the Coyotes drafted him.

Old
11-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Artyukhin*

he has a big time slap shot .
holds the Swiss All Star record @103mph.

im all for it only if he is given a chance at the nhl not to be played in the ahl . this was the reason he left Springfield after they jerked him around.

Artyukhin* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 04:50 PM
Live Forever

maybe it's Gainey's bait to try and get Abby to resign with us?

Live Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 04:52 PM
turnbuckle*

Well if Bezina can bring them a Vezina...by all means bring him over.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 04:53 PM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavlako11 View Post
Well I guess he's just added insurance seeing as we have a few UFA's ourselves on defense and Ninimaa has... umm.... 1 assist in 14GP.
hmmmmm , don't we allso have a forward with one point in 14 games ? it's not all about points . i think janne has some gas left in the tank and is still capable of contributing .

habsfan44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:10 PM
pavlako11

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan44 View Post
hmmmmm , don't we allso have a forward with one point in 14 games ? it's not all about points . i think janne has some gas left in the tank and is still capable of contributing .
The difference is one is 18 and the other is around 30. Niinimaa is a UFA at the end of the year, as of now I don't really see us RE-signing him. I know it's not all about the points and I don't want to turn this into a bashing thread, but he can be easily replaced.

pavlako11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:13 PM
le_sean

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug mckenzie View Post
he has a big time slap shot .
holds the Swiss All Star record @103mph.
Perhaps he is going to be used as a replacement for Souray's shot? Depending on how fast we get his kid here, Souray might be dealt by the deadline or maybe it's for next year if we can't resign him. Gainey is not stupid, and if he can get a 103mph slapshot for less than a million, I'm all for it.

le_sean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:51 PM
bookworm

I don't know, from reading the article, it only seems like a rumour. The journalist only mentions asking Gauthier about Bezina and Gauthier answering that it was too dangerous to speak about that:
Quote:
Après Romy et Hiller, un autre international est-il aussi dans la mire de l'une des 30 formations de NHL? Possible! Question posée à Pierre Gauthier? «Le Canadien pourrait-il soumettre une proposition de contrat à Goran Bezina, qui flambe dans notre ligue?» Réponse du No 2 de la structure décisionnelle de Montréal: «Je ne peux pas répondre à cette question... C'est trop dangereux!»
http://www.lematin.ch/nwmatinhome/nw...ler_et_la.html

bookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 05:57 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Parent View Post
According to Jeremy Rainville from CKAC, quoting some Swiss newspaper ("Le Matin" or some like that), the Habs have started negociations with another Swiss defenseman in hopes of bringing him over next year.

His name is Goran Bezina. He is Croatian, playing for Geneve-Servette in the Swiss League. He was an 8th round pick of Phoenix in 1999. He played 3 games in the NHL in 2003-04 and played 3 seasons in the AHL previously. He left because Phoenix wouldn't give him a shot in the NHL. He's a 6'4", 220 pounds south paw with a booming shot and good offensive abilities.

When reached for comment in Germany, Pierre Gauthier said he wouldn't comment because it was "Too Dangerous".

Smells like another auction, and this time, the Habs can't draft him because he's already drafted. He's UFA, a defected draft pick.
Heard the same interview. Rainville also said that we was known though for his lack of mobility in his own end.....

What about Jonas Hiller, goalie in the same league, Gauthier seems to have nothing nice but good things for him as well.....

By the way, the best scorers in that league this year are:

1-Rintanen Kimmo Kloten Flyers
11 goals, 30 points

2-Roest Stacy, Rapperswil
8 goals, 30 points

3-Pittis Domenico, Kloten Flyers
9 goals, 26 points

4-Gamache Simon, Bern
6 goals, 25 points

5-DiPietro Paul, Zug
10 goals, 23 points

6-Bezina Goran, Servette
11 goals, 22 points

7-Hamr Radek, Kloten Flyers
2 goals, 22 points

8-Trudel Jean-Guy, Ambri
11 goals, 20 points

9-Sarno Peter, Fribourg
4 goals, 20 points

10-Daigle Alexandre, Davos
12 goals, 19 points

Draw your own conclusions....

Last edited by Whitesnake: 11-11-2006 at 06:11 PM.
Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-11-2006, 06:15 PM
Phil Parent
Is Watching The D

I do, Bezina's a defenseman and he's got more points than Alexandre Daigle, a forward who played 10 years in the league.

Old
11-11-2006, 06:18 PM
KaptainKourage*

So who's next ? DiPietro ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Heard the same interview. Rainville also said that we was known though for his lack of mobility in his own end.....

What about Jonas Hiller, goalie in the same league, Gauthier seems to have nothing nice but good things for him as well.....

By the way, the best scorers in that league this year are:

1-Rintanen Kimmo Kloten Flyers
11 goals, 30 points

2-Roest Stacy, Rapperswil
8 goals, 30 points

3-Pittis Domenico, Kloten Flyers
9 goals, 26 points

4-Gamache Simon, Bern
6 goals, 25 points

5-DiPietro Paul, Zug
10 goals, 23 points

6-Bezina Goran, Servette
11 goals, 22 points

7-Hamr Radek, Kloten Flyers
2 goals, 22 points

8-Trudel Jean-Guy, Ambri
11 goals, 20 points

9-Sarno Peter, Fribourg
4 goals, 20 points

10-Daigle Alexandre, Davos
12 goals, 19 points

Draw your own conclusions....
Streit would be in the top 5 for sure if he would still playing there. Stats are meanless...

And I read somewhere about him dont want to come in NA yet again to play in AHL

KaptainKourage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:26 AM
turnbuckle*

Perhaps Streit would be top five, but is he 26 years old and 6-4?

Last year Bezina had: 43 8 14 22

22 points in 43 games, already matched last season's point totals and exceeded the goals total. He's certainly showing some improvement offensively, certainly may be worth a look as a replacement for Souray on the power play if he leaves.

Streit had a similar spike in production around the same age, and it's led him to an NHL spot. Don't see why Bezina couldn't be given another NHL look.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:32 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
Perhaps Streit would be top five, but is he 26 years old and 6-4?

Last year Bezina had: 43 8 14 22

22 points in 43 games, already matched last season's point totals and exceeded the goals total. He's certainly showing some improvement offensively, certainly may be worth a look as a replacement for Souray on the power play if he leaves.

Streit had a similar spike in production around the same age, and it's led him to an NHL spot. Don't see why Bezina couldn't be given another NHL look.
Sure. I really don't mind. Bezina played at the Olympics as well, do not remember him but finished the tournament playing all 6 games, 2 points, -1, 8 shots, No penalties.

What's the worst, we try him and it doesn't work out???Why not....I was just pointed out that being on top of a Swiss league don't necessarily means much especially if that scouting report about him lacking mobility in his own end, won't be an improvement over Sheldon.....

Anyway, let's try him and we'll see...

Whitesnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 08:33 PM
TheHoser

If at all possible, get Bezina over here quickly - I watched the guy play at the Olympics and he has top-4 potential. His slapshot is huge, and he brings a physical presence to the ice. Hopefully we can get him over here.

TheHoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:47 PM
coolguy21415
HFBoards Sponsor

I dunno this guy, though he has a big shot, seems like another liability defensively. That's really the last thing we need; another immobile defenseman.

11-13-2006, 04:29 AM
stv11
Global Moderator

Don't have much hope with this guy, he couldn't skate to save his life and is terrible at handling the puck (I can't remember seeing another player screw up that many simple defenseman to defenseman passes).

He's big and can shoot the puck, but not much more. During his stay in North America, he played as a forward because his coach was affraid of him handling the puck as a defenseman.

stv11 is offline   Reply With Quote