HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
08-27-2013, 04:38 PM
Stoneman89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Deer Rebel View Post
Such types also used to attack Ricky Ray when he was here. Yet Ray has enjoyed nothing but success since leaving here, marching his team up and down the field, winning a championship, and putting on a passing clinic week after week.

Yet, when he was here, he was ripped for being unable to move the team, and for his lack of mobility - which were deemed to be fatal flaws in his game making him unfit for the CFL.

Having said this, I like Mike Reilly as a replacement for Ray. But beyond Stamps and Chambers (developing kid), I don't see much out there in terms of weapons for him to use.
We never had a great team, but to be fair, Ricky didn't exactly shoot the lights out his last couple years here. He's always had the numbers, but like Horcoff and Hemksy, I think he just got sick of the losing, and it started to show. He had a better team than Reilly has right now, but I think a change did need to happen. What was missing was a viable alternative, which it appears we are on the way to developing now. Good luck to Ricky and hope he has more success, wherever he is. I just don't think it was ever going to happen in this gong show we have here.

As for weapons for Reilly to use, I think Cary Koch has had a remarkable year and has established himself as another go to option for Reilly. And if used properly, I think Hugh Charles can also make an impact, so it's not like he's bereft of talent around him. The offensive line just needs to make sure he doesn't get killed getting them the ball.

Old
08-27-2013, 04:41 PM
Comrade Blunderbore
Генерал Файлюра

vCash: 50
holy hell, it must be even harder than supporting Oilers. or am i not getting the concept?

Old
08-27-2013, 05:25 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Such types also used to attack Ricky Ray when he was here. Yet Ray has enjoyed nothing but success since leaving here, marching his team up and down the field, winning a championship, and putting on a passing clinic week after week.

Yet, when he was here, he was ripped for being unable to move the team, and for his lack of mobility - which were deemed to be fatal flaws in his game making him unfit for the CFL.

Having said this, I like Mike Reilly as a replacement for Ray. But beyond Stamps and Chambers (developing kid), I don't see much out there in terms of weapons for him to use.
Ray was being ripped here when he wasn't putting pts on the board, wasn't getting the ball in the endzone and had been running a painfully conservative offense for years. One year he threw for 11 TD's in a complete season. Its unfathomable to thing how bad that is.
I wouldn't be critiquing his play if he was throwing multiple TD strikes every game and if he was playing with extreme verve and trying to carry the club.

Given what Reilly has done the last 4 games its kind of hard to see where the criticism is coming from.

I'll point out as well the two times he turned the ball over were deep in the Rider zone, or endzone. Without a complete and utter collapse by the D neither turnover ends up costing us pts. against

Old
08-27-2013, 06:16 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Ray was being ripped here when he wasn't putting pts on the board, wasn't getting the ball in the endzone and had been running a painfully conservative offense for years. One year he threw for 11 TD's in a complete season. Its unfathomable to thing how bad that is.
I wouldn't be critiquing his play if he was throwing multiple TD strikes every game and if he was playing with extreme verve and trying to carry the club.
But Ray has gone on to conclusively show that those ripping him were completely wrong in their analysis, as usual. Toronto was an average team before he got there, and he turned them into the best team in the league.

When he got hurt last week, the backup couldn't move the team over the 55 yard line for an entire half of football. Ray had been shredding the Stampeders prior to his going out of the game.

Edmonton's offensive problems were never the fault of Ray. He had one star receiver to work with during those years, a bunch of rubbish in the backfield, and a porous o-line that was useless in terms of both pass protection or establishing the run. Patrick Kabongo, who is so fat he can barely even move, was considered the best of the bunch.

Ray is having no problems moving the football in every situation with Toronto, and is pretty much a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame.

No quarterback is going to be successful playing in the situation Ray had in Edmonton, so why point the finger at Ray?

Quote:
Given what Reilly has done the last 4 games its kind of hard to see where the criticism is coming from.
I like Mike Reilly but he doesn't have the touch that Ray has on deep balls. Reilly is missing throws regularly, but considering he has one receiver, no run game, and no blocking, he is doing extremely well.

Quote:
I'll point out as well the two times he turned the ball over were deep in the Rider zone, or endzone. Without a complete and utter collapse by the D neither turnover ends up costing us pts. against
Well, these turnovers took points off the board, so you really don't have much argument here.

The endzone interception was a poor throw by Reilly.

Old
08-27-2013, 06:59 PM
aleshemsky83

Chambers has been pretty terrible this year, he apparently had NFL measurables but we're just not seeing it, he's looked bad other than one or two plays.

Old
08-27-2013, 07:29 PM
PeakOil
Loyal To The Oil

Edit....NVM

Old
08-27-2013, 08:19 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
But Ray has gone on to conclusively show that those ripping him were completely wrong in their analysis, as usual. Toronto was an average team before he got there, and he turned them into the best team in the league.

When he got hurt last week, the backup couldn't move the team over the 55 yard line for an entire half of football. Ray had been shredding the Stampeders prior to his going out of the game.

Edmonton's offensive problems were never the fault of Ray. He had one star receiver to work with during those years, a bunch of rubbish in the backfield, and a porous o-line that was useless in terms of both pass protection or establishing the run. Patrick Kabongo, who is so fat he can barely even move, was considered the best of the bunch.

Ray is having no problems moving the football in every situation with Toronto, and is pretty much a shoe-in for the Hall of Fame.

No quarterback is going to be successful playing in the situation Ray had in Edmonton, so why point the finger at Ray?

I like Mike Reilly but he doesn't have the touch that Ray has on deep balls. Reilly is missing throws regularly, but considering he has one receiver, no run game, and no blocking, he is doing extremely well.

Well, these turnovers took points off the board, so you really don't have much argument here.

You basically just described Reilly and the Eskimos. At least Ray had a decent defence to help out.

Last edited by Stoneman89: 08-28-2013 at 07:50 AM.
Old
08-28-2013, 08:14 AM
Stoneman89

Gerry Moddejonge of the Journal gets it, as well. The silly Joseph experiment has to go. That's now 2 journalists (Terry Jones being the other one) that actually have a set of balls to criticize this organization and some of their moves.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/08/27/drop-joseph

Old
08-28-2013, 10:09 AM
joestevens29

Mike Reilly ‏@Rikester13 1m
Beautiful morning here in the #yeg! Can't wait to get on the field today and get to work on this LDC

Old
08-28-2013, 10:18 AM
harpoon
FOB

Haha ... man this team sucks. I don't watch CFL, but I admit to reading this thread for chuckles every summer when the board is dead.
1-7 is pretty bad. Worst start since when?

Old
08-28-2013, 10:33 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

vCash: 160
Quote:
Ray was being ripped here when he wasn't putting pts on the board, wasn't getting the ball in the endzone and had been running a painfully conservative offense for years.
Ray didnt call his own plays while in Edmonton. How fitting that Ray would take the heat for something he wasn't responsible for.

You also thought Jyles et al was a fair return for Ray.

Wrong on both counts.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:37 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:

Pretty much nailed it.

Ray was simply a scapegoat for fans that either didn't understand the game enough or were simply too lazy to look any further than the QB to cast blame.

Good for Ray that he has landed where he did.
Quality team with quality coaching and with a healthy Ray at QB they will continue to be perennial contenders in this League while the Eskimos wallow in mediocrity or worse.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by guymez View Post
Ray didnt call his own plays while in Edmonton. How fitting that Ray would take the heat for something he wasn't responsible for.

You also thought Jyles et al was a fair return for Ray.

Wrong on both counts.
Simple fiction.

Not sure why its necessary to change what I stated.

My position is it was NEVER a trade and it was instead a salary dump with Jyles in return.

Don't confuse my not liking RR and my being happy with a fresh start with thinking that the trade was "fair return" which was not my take.

Anyway its a year later and we have a QB that to me anyway looks more like the QB I would want to have in this league. If only our D wasn't in complete freefall..

Old
08-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Gerry Moddejonge of the Journal gets it, as well. The silly Joseph experiment has to go. That's now 2 journalists (Terry Jones being the other one) that actually have a set of balls to criticize this organization and some of their moves.

http://www.edmontonsun.com/2013/08/27/drop-joseph
It really is funny how mild the criticism is here after almost a decade of mediocre at best football teams. Sure you dont want to go off half assed and make stupid decisions but this record of futility is getting comical.

Old
08-28-2013, 10:52 AM
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid

Quote:
Simple fiction.

Not sure why its necessary to change what I stated.

My position is it was NEVER a trade and it was instead a salary dump with Jyles in return.

Don't confuse my not liking RR and my being happy with a fresh start with thinking that the trade was "fair return" which was not my take.

Anyway its a year later and we have a QB that to me anyway looks more like the QB I would want to have in this league. If only our D wasn't in complete freefall..
Bah...I am not going to go and dig up posts but you were over the moon with the trade initially.
You even went as far to pump up Jyles who was arguably the worst QB ever to put on an Eskimo uniform. Your blind misdirected dislike of Ray had blinded you from reality.

Defies reason.

Old
08-28-2013, 11:13 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Bah...I am not going to go and dig up posts but you were over the moon with the trade initially.
You even went as far to pump up Jyles who was arguably the worst QB ever to put on an Eskimo uniform. Your blind misdirected dislike of Ray had blinded you from reality.

Defies reason.
Again you're distorting. Of course I liked Jyles. Ricky was gone, I was going to like pretty much anybody in his place for awhile. (visions of even Homer Simpson dropping back going doh..)

With Jyles something happened there and I just wanted the guy, and the team, to be successful. I was just trying to be positive, and be a fan. I do admit that sometimes its like a switch goes off and I either like a player, or not. For some reason I liked Jyles. I hoped he'd get it done once he had the chance to be a starting QB. I do think a lot of good to great QB's never get that chance handed to them. For instance like Reilly. I did maintain like a lot of people did that it could take time to find the clubs next starting QB. looks like we found him.

Teams get rewarded for giving guys with a lot of try and effort a chance. It'll happen soon enough with Reilly if we stay the course and improve the attitude on the team around him. If a dozen players on this club caught the Reilly enthusiasm bug we'd be winning all our games.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:18 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:

Defies reason.
I don't have the time to dig up posts either, but I do have a decent memory. And I do remember Replacement pumping Jyle's tires repeatedly, even when it became blatantly obvious to even the most casual of observers that Jyles was a mass of huge suckage.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:37 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

I thought, according to the radio guys anyways, that the Esks were supposed to have a good defense this year.

What the hell happened?

To my uneducated eyes, Kavis Reed should have been replaced at the end of last year. Even I can see the glaring mistakes he's been making...with the help of posters here and the TSN commentary, which I admit to be very impressed with because they tend to explain allot of football concepts that I have absolutely no clue about.

Old
08-28-2013, 12:50 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
I don't have the time to dig up posts either, but I do have a decent memory. And I do remember Replacement pumping Jyle's tires repeatedly, even when it became blatantly obvious to even the most casual of observers that Jyles was a mass of huge suckage.
Yep, undoubtedly, I tried to be optimistic. But I do know that I stated emphatically several times that it wasn't a trade as such. More of a salary dump so that the Esks had capspace to be looking at other talent and particularly on D.

But absolutely I was hoping Jyles would succeed and trying to pump tires through the season.

After that effort I'm deflated this season..

Old
08-28-2013, 04:00 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I thought, according to the radio guys anyways, that the Esks were supposed to have a good defense this year.

What the hell happened?

To my uneducated eyes, Kavis Reed should have been replaced at the end of last year. Even I can see the glaring mistakes he's been making...with the help of posters here and the TSN commentary, which I admit to be very impressed with because they tend to explain allot of football concepts that I have absolutely no clue about.
I have been accused of being nothing more than a couch critic, but it does give me some justification when you hear guys off the TSN panel pointing out the many gaffes that Reed has made.

Old
08-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
I have been accused of being nothing more than a couch critic, but it does give me some justification when you hear guys off the TSN panel pointing out the many gaffes that Reed has made.
When did they do that? Because before the game on Saturday both Chris Schultz and Matt Dunigan were adamant that Kavis Reed is a terrific coach and that he doesn't deserve the criticism that he's been getting. Only Milt Stegall seemed to imply that Kavis should be in the hot seat.

Old
08-28-2013, 05:24 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
When did they do that? Because before the game on Saturday both Chris Schultz and Matt Dunigan were adamant that Kavis Reed is a terrific coach and that he doesn't deserve the criticism that he's been getting. Only Milt Stegall seemed to imply that Kavis should be in the hot seat.
Other than Stegall, more guys actually calling the game, like Glen Suitor. I like Chris Schultz, but Matt Dunigan has taken far too many blows to the head to take anything he says seriously.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:02 AM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1255
man, when are you guys going to quit arguing about Ricky Ray?
at some point you all have to let it go.

we should be talking about the crappy Edmonton defense. which was called out again in the Sun.
good to see that the media is finally starting to acknowledge the problems the esks have.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:31 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
man, when are you guys going to quit arguing about Ricky Ray?
at some point you all have to let it go.

we should be talking about the crappy Edmonton defense. which was called out again in the Sun.
good to see that the media is finally starting to acknowledge the problems the esks have.
Ya because it's so hard to call out a 1-7 team. Where are these clowns when the team has been struggling for the past how many years? It's not different than with Tillman, the media waits until he was gone to bring up issues.

I know you can't be a complaint jackass towards the team all the time, but this media waits until things are already done when it comes to asking hard questions. The only time I can remember them playing hardball was when the Oilers were laying out their future plans with MacT and not ST.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:29 PM
joestevens29

Chris O'Leary ‏@olearychris 4m
Hugh Charles says he's taking one game off after aggravating a hamstring last week vs #riders #eskimos #cfl

Closed Thread