HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

OFFICIAL Florida Panthers fans' Lounge -- ARCHIVED

Closed Thread

Old
10-31-2006, 12:22 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

vCash: 500
Totally freaked out.

We have a wooden privacey fence around our backyard. Last night, I wandered out to my lanai, and something caught the corner of my eye. We have a pool cage, so sometimes lizards climb the screens. Not last night though.

The biggest RAT I've ever seen in the wild was running on top of the fence. Where's Scott Mellanby when you need him???? I had to settle for my pest control guy, Mike, instead. He's coming out this afternoon to lay some traps (non-harmful to other animals, and not the glue kind either-yuck).

I take this as a sign...rats on my fence = Panthers win tonight.

Old
11-02-2006, 10:29 PM
Rattrick

Send a message via AIM to Rattrick
Hey Clint -- nice costume you NERD!

Old
11-07-2006, 08:50 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Well...the rat problem has been resolved...for now. I wish someone would build house in the lot behind me. I'm positive that's where they're coming from.

It's raining today. I love rainy days. It's get tiresome having sunny, hot weather year-round.

Old
11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
Acadmus

I just went to that hidden politics board Ratman linked to in a closed thread.

I like political debate, but hell - that's a scary place, that forum is. I made two posts staying away from any specific ideology, just comments on the nature of the commentary there itself, and I won't be going back.

One poster, in a thread where someone challenged people to read a partisan article and tell how it was a lie, got a nasty response that ended with "...and then tell us why we shouldn't drag you outside and stone you to death for being a partisan idiot?"

I didn't read the article but I'm pretty certain from the other responses it didn't contain any suggestions to beat or kill people.

It's no wonder HF doesn't list that board anymore.

11-07-2006, 10:48 PM
ratmanfu

Send a message via MSN to ratmanfu
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnoughExcuses View Post
I just went to that hidden politics board Ratman linked to in a closed thread.

I like political debate, but hell - that's a scary place, that forum is. I made two posts staying away from any specific ideology, just comments on the nature of the commentary there itself, and I won't be going back.

One poster, in a thread where someone challenged people to read a partisan article and tell how it was a lie, got a nasty response that ended with "...and then tell us why we shouldn't drag you outside and stone you to death for being a partisan idiot?"

I didn't read the article but I'm pretty certain from the other responses it didn't contain any suggestions to beat or kill people.

It's no wonder HF doesn't list that board anymore.
There are two significant topics that always generate passionate discourse: politics and religion.

Unfortunately, that passion can spill over into flagrantly offensive arguments, if left unchecked. The old politics board was just too volatile to continue as it had.

Keep in mind, however, that any of you that choose to venture over to the hidden Politics Board be forewarned: it is largely unmoderated, unless it veers off the topic of politics.

In other words: Enter At Your Own Risk

Old
11-07-2006, 11:41 PM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
Well...the rat problem has been resolved...for now. I wish someone would build house in the lot behind me. I'm positive that's where they're coming from.

It's raining today. I love rainy days. It's get tiresome having sunny, hot weather year-round.
Live near water? Anyone with a jungle of citrus trees in their yards that refuse to pick up the loose fruit? Things of that nature will bring rats and possums around more than an empty lot. I have a neighbor (complete psycho) who has filled the simming pool in with soil, planted fruit trees, and feeds the rats and possums like they are pets. She even claims it reminds of Hawaii.

Old
11-07-2006, 11:56 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Ness View Post
Live near water? Anyone with a jungle of citrus trees in their yards that refuse to pick up the loose fruit? Things of that nature will bring rats and possums around more than an empty lot. I have a neighbor (complete psycho) who has filled the simming pool in with soil, planted fruit trees, and feeds the rats and possums like they are pets. She even claims it reminds of Hawaii.

We're surrounded by water (canals). We also have two citrus trees, however, we have kept the fruit off the ground for the most part. We're actually thinking of having the citrus trees removed because they do attract rodents.

Our neighbor's citrus tree is a mess though.

Old
11-08-2006, 12:23 AM
ratmanfu

Quote:
I have a neighbor (complete psycho) who has filled the simming pool in with soil, planted fruit trees, and feeds the rats and possums like they are pets. She even claims it reminds of Hawaii.

Okay, you win. I've had plenty of psycho neighbors in my lifetime, but yours wins the prize for Resident Lunatic of the Year.

Who the heck has the time and resources to fill a pool with dirt, let alone have the skewed perspective that such a feat would conjure memories of Hawaii?

Old
11-08-2006, 01:54 AM
Clash*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns View Post

Okay, you win. I've had plenty of psycho neighbors in my lifetime, but yours wins the prize for Resident Lunatic of the Year.

Who the heck has the time and resources to fill a pool with dirt, let alone have the skewed perspective that such a feat would conjure memories of Hawaii?
She inherited it from her lunatic mother, who had the house built when I was a little kid and lived there forever with about 40 cats (my malamute killed more than a few of those tho for coming into my yard). We've tried to get the weeds removed from the front of the house, but the city has said they are allowed as "a natural habitat."

I live in one of those neighborhoods a lot of people have heard about, but no one admits to living in. Its even a some what affluent area, being east of US 1. We recently had a neighbor move out who lived with her ex-husband for maybe fifteen years after the divorce, but mothered a child with another man and was sleeping with the neighbor across the street at the same time. She moved to Tennesee and brought the ex husband with her.

Old
11-08-2006, 01:58 AM
Clash*

Quote:
We're surrounded by water (canals). We also have two citrus trees, however, we have kept the fruit off the ground for the most part. We're actually thinking of having the citrus trees removed because they do attract rodents.

Our neighbor's citrus tree is a mess though.
Your trees are fine, but if the neighbor isn't picking up his future soil, then you know where the problem is. Between the canals bringing the rats in and then the neighbor essentially feeding them, you know what is bringing them in. One suggestion to you tho, have all the facia board around your roof (edge of the roof) replaced with cedar wood and find a way to fill in ANY potential holes that can be used for access into your walls, attic, or any other good hiding place. You don't want the rats finding a place to live in your attic. The sound of little feet in the middle of the night coming from your ceiling is a disturbing one.

Old
11-08-2006, 08:04 AM
Lola
Future Panthers

Quote:
Your trees are fine, but if the neighbor isn't picking up his future soil, then you know where the problem is. Between the canals bringing the rats in and then the neighbor essentially feeding them, you know what is bringing them in. One suggestion to you tho, have all the facia board around your roof (edge of the roof) replaced with cedar wood and find a way to fill in ANY potential holes that can be used for access into your walls, attic, or any other good hiding place. You don't want the rats finding a place to live in your attic. The sound of little feet in the middle of the night coming from your ceiling is a disturbing one.

Thanks for the advice.

We had the house 'sealed' a few years ago when the rats made their first appearance. Since then, I had Mike (our pest control guy) check the attic every time he treats the inside of the house (about once every three months). I'm very skittish about having creatures in my house. So far, the rats haven't been able to find a way in-thank GOD!

I was going to get a cat, but my dogs would eat it.

Old
11-08-2006, 04:56 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

*Sorry for the serial post*

I normally don't ask people on message boards for prayers, but if ya'll could spare some, would you please pray for my hubby's grandfather? He underwent back surgery yesterday. He had to have most of the bones in his back worked on. He has an incision from the top of his spine, all the way down his back, and they also had to cut into his abdomen to repair his back. He's 80 years old. He was literally one step away from paralysis, and they didn't discover it until last week.

He's the nicest guy you'd ever meet, and he's mentally as strong as an ox. Please pray that he heals nicely from the surgery, and that it helps him to feel physically stronger as well.

Thanks.

Old
11-08-2006, 09:27 PM
ratmanfu

Quote:
*Sorry for the serial post*

I normally don't ask people on message boards for prayers, but if ya'll could spare some, would you please pray for my hubby's grandfather? He underwent back surgery yesterday. He had to have most of the bones in his back worked on. He has an incision from the top of his spine, all the way down his back, and they also had to cut into his abdomen to repair his back. He's 80 years old. He was literally one step away from paralysis, and they didn't discover it until last week.

He's the nicest guy you'd ever meet, and he's mentally as strong as an ox. Please pray that he heals nicely from the surgery, and that it helps him to feel physically stronger as well.

Thanks.
I'll be sure to include him in mine, Lola.

Old
11-10-2006, 01:19 AM
ratmanfu

Well, the ordeal is finally over.

After a week-and-a-half delay due to a myriad of stupid blunders by the buyer's agent and mortgage broker, I closed the sale on my Florida house yesterday.

It was originally scheduled to close on Halloween, but the buyer's agent neglected to inform us until the day of closing that it was a mail-away contract (we're in North Carolina, the buyer's in New Jersey) and once she got our signed contracts back, the idiot sat on them forgetting that her own client was still in Jersey.

Furthermore, she and the loan processor also bungled the paperwork by not verifying the buyer's name matched all the necessary documents (apparently, the buyer's social security card had her name misspelled).

Not to mention the fact that we had offered to pay up to $4000.00 towards closing (it turned out to only be $2200 for the buyer) and discovered that she went ahead and gave the buyer all $4000, listing the amount as a "seller concession" and not as a "seller credit" (as it should have been, but this was her shifty way of circumventing the rules where sellers aren't allowed to pay for buyers' taxes). Neither buyer nor I wanted to walk away from the deal, so I conceded the extra $1800, but I'm not finished with this agent or her office by any stretch of the imagination.

Typical Florida real estate transaction: I've been through 4 of them down there, and all have been absolutely lousy.

Today, we closed on the purchase of our North Carolina home. It was originally scheduled for November 3rd, but the delay in Florida pushed this back. All I can say is I'm glad NC closings are handled by attorneys. The gentleman that handled our closing was impeccably professional, courteous and definitely had his act together.

After this latest fiasco in Florida, I'm certain I'll never involve myself in another real estate transaction there for as long as I live.

end of rant

Old
11-10-2006, 08:44 AM
Happy Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatmanReturns View Post
Well, the ordeal is finally over.

After a week-and-a-half delay due to a myriad of stupid blunders by the buyer's agent and mortgage broker, I closed the sale on my Florida house yesterday.

It was originally scheduled to close on Halloween, but the buyer's agent neglected to inform us until the day of closing that it was a mail-away contract (we're in North Carolina, the buyer's in New Jersey) and once she got our signed contracts back, the idiot sat on them forgetting that her own client was still in Jersey.

Furthermore, she and the loan processor also bungled the paperwork by not verifying the buyer's name matched all the necessary documents (apparently, the buyer's social security card had her name misspelled).

Not to mention the fact that we had offered to pay up to $4000.00 towards closing (it turned out to only be $2200 for the buyer) and discovered that she went ahead and gave the buyer all $4000, listing the amount as a "seller concession" and not as a "seller credit" (as it should have been, but this was her shifty way of circumventing the rules where sellers aren't allowed to pay for buyers' taxes). Neither buyer nor I wanted to walk away from the deal, so I conceded the extra $1800, but I'm not finished with this agent or her office by any stretch of the imagination.

Typical Florida real estate transaction: I've been through 4 of them down there, and all have been absolutely lousy.

Today, we closed on the purchase of our North Carolina home. It was originally scheduled for November 3rd, but the delay in Florida pushed this back. All I can say is I'm glad NC closings are handled by attorneys. The gentleman that handled our closing was impeccably professional, courteous and definitely had his act together.

After this latest fiasco in Florida, I'm certain I'll never involve myself in another real estate transaction there for as long as I live.

end of rant
I am in the mortgage business, so I can feel your pain on this Ratman. My best suggestion is that whenever you enter into a real estate transaction, usually the biggest and most important transaction you will enter into, it is the law that you receive a copy of the initial GFE and TIL within 3 days of application. It is also well within your rights further down the road closer to the closing to request a copy of the initial HUD1 (Settlement statement). The HUD 1 is probably the most important as it is prepared just prior to closing and gives you the best idea of the transaction. When I bought my house, I reviewed a copy of all of these documents the day BEFORE my closing and I was able to address 2 issues prior to getting to the closing table. If you have a realtor or loan officer who doesn't want to take the time to go over these documents with you in full detail, I'd find another realtor/loan officer. You have every right to review these documents before signing anything!!! Unfortunately you will find there are too many realtors/brokers who count on consumers not wanting to delay a closing further and will accept mistakes on the HUD 1 because they need to close that day!

Realtors and mortgage brokers are both licensed by state and federal agencies. I'd recommend contacting the Florida State's Attorney's office about this. I am not as familiar with Florida lending laws as other states and unfortunately there are no rescission periods in a purchase transaction, but there are a lot of lending laws in place that are designed to protect the consumer. You should really look into these options. Finally, if you liked the attorney who handled your NC purchase, you might want to set up a meeting with him/her to discuss the FL transaction.

PM me if you have any other questions.

Old
11-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Acadmus

So you'll be moving to the Hurricanes' board now, eh, Ratman? j/k

Old
11-13-2006, 07:16 AM
ratmanfu

Closed for archiving.

Please go here to continue Lounge Talk: http://hfboards.com/newthread.php?do=newthread&f=28

Closed Thread