HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

47th Obsequious Banter Thread - Patrick Thoresen is Titanium

Old
08-26-2013, 07:06 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
So I finally got off hold last night and the person I was speaking with said that she couldn't fix the problem but someone would be calling me within 24 hours to fix it (most likely while I am at work and will not be able to actually fix it). So in conclusion, Comcast has dealt me the following hand"

1) Late for the appointment on Friday
2) Couldn't finish the install on Friday because I was not connected to the pole (something I told them when I signed up)
3) Don't get the X1 whole home DVR I signed up for because it is not able to be used in my area, despite being sold the product from a store in my area
4) Had to argue with people to get the Triple Play, even though I had several confirmations that I did in fact order the Triple Play
5) Guy didn't hook up the phone to my alarm system, so it was beeping for several hours after he left and he had to come back and hook it up again
6) Don't have the channels I signed up for and for some reason they can't give them to me yet (and almost certainly will not give them to me for the prices I was quoted)
7) On Demand was in accessible and I had to call Comcast to fix it
8) Once it was "fixed" I could get to the menus but can't order anything because I don't have the proper subscriptions (even though I have the proper subscriptions)

There is probably some stuff I am forgetting, but that is a pretty decent picture of my experience with Comcast this go around. I hope there is some sort of insider trading Enron type of scandal and the entire company goes out of business and they are all jailed.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:08 AM
Phileeguy
Mira, que linda.

vCash: 500
Pretty sure the Comcast business model goes as such:

1.) Offer "premium/better" services than other providers and claim to be better price-wise.
2.) Be as confusing and irritating upon installation and implementation for services after a customer has already signed up so that the customer is too tired/frustrated to care about paying more for less.
3.) Rinse and repeat.

Phileeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Their plan will not work with me. I will fight them to the death over everything.

Back in the college days I helped start a fraternity with some friends. One of us had an insanely bad time getting the cable set up because Comcast wanted to treat our house like a bar or something (Because we were in a commercial zone), meaning absurdly high rates. His hatred of Comcast approaches mental illness. It was nice to have him around though, if/when there was a problem you could shoot him a text and he would come by to call Comcast for you, just to make someone there suffer. We also never paid for a pay per view. We would order it, and then while we were sitting around watching he would be on the phone with Comcast the whole time ranting about how the picture was nothing but static (It wasn't) until they comped it.

08-26-2013, 01:22 PM
galvo

The only people that I know who have received letters from their ISP in regards to downloading torrents were Comcast customers.

galvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-26-2013, 01:31 PM
Bluepee

I can honestly say comcast service in tucson arizona is just as abysmal.

Bluepee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:02 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

I cancelled my cable service about a month or 2 ago because they were charging me $140 a month for 1 tv and internet. No HBO/Showtime, no Starz/Encore, no NFL/NHL/MLB Network, no DVR, not even like the freakin Travel Channel. I had practically the most basic digital cable they offered. My wife called to complain, and the response she got was we were paying that much because we have HD. They could take the HD away and save us $12 a month, or give us HBO for only $10 more...Wow, sweet...

How a company can still up charge for ****ing HD at this point is beyond me. I've been using an antenna since then and the picture I get on Fox and NBC is actually clearer than it was on Comcast. They only thing that sucks is that I can't watch the Phils unless they're on 17, and I can't watch the Flyers. But I honestly dislike them so much that I will wait until Fios gets to my area to get another cable provider.

I also have to cancel my internet and switch it to AT&T because Comcast is charging me $75 a month for their 15/5 internet service.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:04 AM
SolidSnakeUS

There are only 2 reasons I think we've stuck with Comcast for so long at home:

1. Philly sports.
2. They really do not give a **** about torrents.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:34 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Comcast update. I won.

Talked to corporate executive support or something. They gave me the package I wanted for less than the price I was originally quoted. I have a guy's direct dial line and will be getting the X1 box installed this weekend (which I have been assured works in my area). I will know when I get home if Showtime is available whether or not the latest promises from Comcast are genuine.

Old
08-27-2013, 02:37 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Comcast update. I won.

Talked to corporate executive support or something. They gave me the package I wanted for less than the price I was originally quoted. I have a guy's direct dial line and will be getting the X1 box installed this weekend (which I have been assured works in my area). I will know when I get home if Showtime is available whether or not the latest promises from Comcast are genuine.
No matter what kind of **** Comcast gives you, they are a company that will easily cave if you ***** enough. Then it gets you thinking on why they even are dicks in the first place...

Old
08-27-2013, 02:41 PM
JDinklage Morgoone
Formerly Hextall89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Comcast update. I won.

Old
08-27-2013, 02:55 PM
The Couturier Effect

Buying books for school. Can anyone give me a good reason why this book costs $100?

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:56 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Because it's called ********.

Old
08-27-2013, 05:09 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Buying books for school. Can anyone give me a good reason why this book costs $100?

What's the topic?

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 05:17 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by mypunkrock View Post
What's the topic?
"Advanced Spending on Small Books"

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 06:41 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
What's the topic?
Ethics

What's funny is the Biology book I needed was only $10 more and came with 2 books (a lab book and a text book).

I don't get this world. Something as simple as getting the correct cable installed is nearly impossible and 150 page textbooks cost over $100.

EDIT: That's a little over 66 cents a page. All I can do is laugh about it.

The Couturier Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 06:42 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Haha. I didn't even mean to make a Breaking Bad reference. That makes this victory all the more sweeter.

Old
08-29-2013, 02:55 PM
Prongo
Beer

College football is on tonight!!! My god am I excited! Go South Carolina and Central Florida!

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 02:59 PM
SolidSnakeUS

VT starts right off against Alabama. Holy **** VT has a lot to deal with right off the bat...

Also, really looking at getting a new car. My 2001 CRV pretty much isn't cutting it anymore. AC died on it for the 2nd time in a year and it's not worth it to fix it considering how much it cost last time. Thinking of a 2014 Mazda3 iTouring. Really nice car.

Old
08-29-2013, 03:30 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post

That's why you buy books off Amazon. Hell even buy the international edition. Same damn book. Quarter of the cost. Anyone who buys books from their school bookstore is an idiot. Hell one year I bought a book off Amazon and then sold it to someone else for more than I bought it for

flyersguy33* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 03:31 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
I do not miss Comcast, fios has been good so far. At the very least I save a ton of money for the next 2 years.
I just recently went with FIOS...got that 89.99 Triple Play deal (2 years) with the free modem/router and the $300 prepaid Visa card which will come in handy for my developer edition (unlocked) Verizon SCH-I545 S4 Galaxy phone that I just bought outright from Samsung's website. I'm grandfathered into the Verizon unlimited data plan and also want to use my phone overseas with their SIM cards and not pay that international GSM service BS that Verizon offers on their subsidized phones when they say they "unlock" the phone for overseas use. Anyway....my point is that so far FIOS has been pretty good from what I can tell and their technician was way more professional than that subcontractor crap that Comcast would send out to my house. The customer service seems ok but nothing great. They gave me runarounds with the promotion I got but eventually gave me what was advertised on the net. I originally did it over the phone and they were trying to finegle me but I tried to cancel my order and do it online with all the offers but they didn't want me to do that and eventually accomodated. Too much of a hassle though and time consuming to get it all ironed out eventually...hope it's not a harbinger of things to come with their customer service which I have heard is not always the best either.

I think though I got a lot more channels with my X-Finity triple play package but I'm ok with what I got with FIOS based on the price. I don't watch much TV beyond hockey to be honest otherwise I wouldn't care if the only channel I had was PBS! It does seem that my internet is faster than Comcast but I had a crappy wireless router that was limiting me. The new modem/router with Verizon was needed.

I don't like the fact I have to pay a franchise sports fee with Verizon to see the local sports teams..total BS pass through cost. Also I'm paying for my HD box with Verizon whereas with Comcast I did not. But Comcast charged me for my VoIP phone modem and my internet modem until I bought my own. Anyway, I'm glad I got away from the grips of Comcast but not sold on the other monopoly Verizon just yet but what choice do I have? It's like the two party system in the U.S.

BTW....I have a coworker that worked for Comcast as a tech and he said Comcast used to deliberately rip off seniors back in the day when cable ready TV's became more prominant. He said they would deliberately tell them they still needed to rent out the cable boxes since most didn't know they really didn't have to if they had a cable ready TV....bunch of scum bags!

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 03:43 PM
Prongo
Beer

I rent my books.

Got one for 15 bucks
One for 28 bucks.
Another for 45 bucks
One for 60 bucks(originally 180)

Only problem is I need a damn access code for canvas, which is going to cost me money damnit.

Old
08-29-2013, 04:37 PM
mypunkrock

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
VT starts right off against Alabama. Holy **** VT has a lot to deal with right off the bat...

Also, really looking at getting a new car. My 2001 CRV pretty much isn't cutting it anymore. AC died on it for the 2nd time in a year and it's not worth it to fix it considering how much it cost last time. Thinking of a 2014 Mazda3 iTouring. Really nice car.
This might be a dumb question, but why do you need an a/c?

mypunkrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 04:45 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
This might be a dumb question, but why do you need an a/c?
I usually have my windows open, but when it's too humid, too hot or the weather sucks outside (heavy rain) then I would need AC. My windows like to fog up without AC running if it's raining outside.

Old
08-30-2013, 06:41 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

My son just started college and each of his 3 core courses' books were >$120. We found on the college bookstore's site a second-hand option, which showed a saving of around $30 each, so we ordered them with credit card. My son showed up 2 days later to pick them up, only to be given brand-new textbooks at the brand-new price that had been applied to the credit card. No contact from them to indicate the change, despite them having our phone number and e-mail address.

To put it lightly, we weren't pleased. Getting ready to go to battle with the bookstore.

The textbook thing really is a racket. It was when I went to university 100 years ago and it continues to be.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:35 AM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
College football is on tonight!!! My god am I excited! Go South Carolina and Central Florida!
Good night last night!