HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Marc Bergevin Done Tinkering?

Old
08-28-2013, 05:44 PM
Kriss E
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Bouillon is no Hal Gill, he doesn't have to throw the puck off the board every time he touches it, but I wouldn't call moving the puck one of his qualities either. It's a tad better than Gorges.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 05:57 PM
Saintpatrick*

He said his job to make the team better is never done. Whether or not he has been successful is another matter.

Saintpatrick* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Respeck
RESPECK MY NAME

I still have a feeling we sign Morrow for cheap on a one year deal, seemed like Bergevin was interested in him earlier in the summer but the longer he's out there the cheaper he'll likely come. Would likely mean someone is gone (Gio/Desharnais maybe?) but a lineup line this would be very nice.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Briere - Bourque
Morrow - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - White - Moen/Parros

Respeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:10 PM
Habsterix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Boullion's puck handling skills are greatly underrated over here
Agreed. Bouillon's game is severely underrated here.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 06:11 PM
Habsterix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Chainz View Post
I still have a feeling we sign Morrow for cheap on a one year deal, seemed like Bergevin was interested in him earlier in the summer but the longer he's out there the cheaper he'll likely come. Would likely mean someone is gone (Gio/Desharnais maybe?) but a lineup line this would be very nice.

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gionta
Galchenyuk - Briere - Bourque
Morrow - Eller - Gallagher
Prust - White - Moen/Parros
The fact that Morrow isn't signed and that there have been discussions between the Habs and him definitely keeps the option open. However, if Bergevin goes that way, he will have to unload some contract(s).

Old
08-29-2013, 08:26 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

The only other move I can see is maybe adding a guy like Morrow, but then they'd have to move out one of the other 9 regulars in the top 9.

With Moen Prust White Parros and Dumont the options are already good on the 4th line.

Last edited by Monctonscout: 08-29-2013 at 08:37 AM.
Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 08:47 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
The fact that Morrow isn't signed and that there have been discussions between the Habs and him definitely keeps the option open. However, if Bergevin goes that way, he will have to unload some contract(s).
We have the cap room to sign Morrow at around 2-2.5 mil and not unload a contract...however the top 9 would get pretty crowded once Gionta is back. Plus Prust and Moen(if he bounces back) are both valid 3rd line options when needed. Morrow would be a good fit for our needs but not our current roster.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:57 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctonscout View Post
We have the cap room to sign Morrow at around 2-2.5 mil and not unload a contract...
I think it would put us at the 50 contract max if done today, but not 100% sure of that. Not the end of the world, but I think that may have been where Habsterix was going with that.

Ohashi_Jouzu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:03 AM
bsl

Quote:
In addition to this thread...

It’s been a fairly busy summer for Habs’ General Manager Marc Bergevin as he managed to add three pieces to the puzzle he is building in hope for his team to become a Stanley Cup contender. First, he traded for heavyweight George Parros, then he signed unrestricted free agents Daniel Brière in hope to replace the offense lost in Michael Ryder, and also signed rugged defenseman Douglas Murray. The addition of Parros and Murray change the dynamic of this team, adding some much needed help for often targeted Brandon Prust.

PENTICTON, BC. — While Brière will take Ryder’s spot in the line-up, Parros has taken Colby Armstrong’s spot on the roster, and it appears like the forwards group is fairly set for next season.

Tomas Plekanec, Brian Gionta, Max Pacioretty, Daniel Brière, David Desharnais, Rene Bourque, Alex Galchenyuk, Brandon Prust, Travis Moen, Lars Eller, George Parros, Brendan Gallagher and Ryan White are pretty much guaranteed a spot on the Canadiens’ roster as it stands today. That’s a total of 13 forwards, although it remains to be seen if Gionta will be ready on time for the start of the season due to his second bicep surgery in two years.

Pushing the veterans, a mix of young prospects and young veterans will be ready to show what they can do if or when called upon, and they will all try to force GM Bergevin’s hand to keep them in Montreal. Under contract, the Habs have: Louis Leblanc, Mike McCarron, Christian Thomas, Sebastian Collberg, Joonas Nattinen, Patrick Holland, Steve Quailer, Michael Bournival, Tim Bozon, Charles Hudon, Sven Andrighetto, Stefan Fournier, Gabriel Dumont, Martin St-Pierre, Mike Blunden and newly signed rugged winger Nick Tarnasky. While there could be some surprises (remember a certain Brendan Gallagher), it is safe to assume that former first round pick Louis Leblanc, the last first round pick Michael McCarron, and young veterans Michael Blunden, Gabriel Dumont and Nick Tarnasky will receive a good long look.

On defense...

Full article...
Well written. Bit did you entertain me? Did you dig down and find information that I am not privy to?

No.

If this is a hobby, that's cool, well done. If you want to be a good sports journo who holds fan's attention, you have a lot of work to do.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:19 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I think it would put us at the 50 contract max if done today, but not 100% sure of that. Not the end of the world, but I think that may have been where Habsterix was going with that.
We have 45 "pro" guys signed plus McCarron Collberg Bozon and Hudon who won't play NHL/AHL. So we can still sign 9 players(mostly AHL/ECHL).

Old
08-29-2013, 09:34 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
We have 45 "pro" guys signed plus McCarron Collberg Bozon and Hudon who won't play NHL/AHL. So we can still sign 9 players(mostly AHL/ECHL).
Oh yeah, junior guys won't burn a contract year and don't count against the 50 (as indicated on capgeek with the EL SR for 'entry level slide risk'). Always forget to factor that in. I'm thinking that it might get in the way somehow, though, if they wanted someone like, say, Bozon to spend the end of the season in Hamilton, since he (for example) should be 20 by the time Kamloops' season is over.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:37 AM
Habsterix*

Quote:
We have the cap room to sign Morrow at around 2-2.5 mil and not unload a contract...however the top 9 would get pretty crowded once Gionta is back. Plus Prust and Moen(if he bounces back) are both valid 3rd line options when needed. Morrow would be a good fit for our needs but not our current roster.
I was thinking sheer number of forwards here. If Morrow signs, I'd make sure to trade Moen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
If you want to be a good sports journo who holds fan's attention, you have a lot of work to do.
At my age, I have absolutely no aspiration in becoming a reporter.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:45 AM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Well written. Bit did you entertain me? Did you dig down and find information that I am not privy to?

No.

If this is a hobby, that's cool, well done. If you want to be a good sports journo who holds fan's attention, you have a lot of work to do.
Crap post.

If you can do better, lets see what you have.

I won't hold my breath waiting.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:48 AM
Habsterix*

Quote:
Crap post.

Meh, don't worry about it as I certainly don't. It's no secret that there is a group here who don't like anything I say/write. I genuinely don't mind. It's the internet and people don't know me in real life. I know that there are many who appreciate and I do it for them. It is, after all, a hobby.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:56 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I was thinking sheer number of forwards here. If Morrow signs, I'd make sure to trade Moen.

At my age, I have absolutely no aspiration in becoming a reporter.
Trading Moen you still have 10 top 9 forwards plus Prust that can fill in. Playing Galchenyuk Eller Bourque or Briere on a 4th line makes little sense.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Oh yeah, junior guys won't burn a contract year and don't count against the 50 (as indicated on capgeek with the EL SR for 'entry level slide risk'). Always forget to factor that in. I'm thinking that it might get in the way somehow, though, if they wanted someone like, say, Bozon to spend the end of the season in Hamilton, since he (for example) should be 20 by the time Kamloops' season is over.
I'm not sure how it works for the 50 contracts if a guy finishes the year in Hamilton. I assume it doesn't get added to the 50 as we had 5 or 6 guys there last year that were not among the 50(Archambault Hudon Vail Collberg Kristo etc)

Old
08-29-2013, 10:05 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
I'm not sure how it works for the 50 contracts if a guy finishes the year in Hamilton. I assume it doesn't get added to the 50 as we had 5 or 6 guys there last year that were not among the 50(Archambault Hudon Vail Collberg Kristo etc)
I'm sure there's a number of "free" games you get, and a number between 6 and 10 comes to mind (the proverbial "cup of coffee"), but I can't remember exactly, and I'm not looking it up, lol.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:15 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Crap post.

Any time you make a critique on a hockey player, we will hold that comment as invalid since you cannot/ will not show us how you can do better.

Awful argument.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:15 AM
Habs10Habs
Retired

vCash: 255
Nice article Habsterix.

To answer your question. No I don't think he's done tinkering. Plenty of players will become available over the next couple of weeks. I obviously don't know for sure, but I feel MB has one more move up his sleeve before the season starts.

Habs10Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:16 AM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Not sure I've seen one article state that gionta wouldn't be ready for training camp/home opener.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Habsterix*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs10Habs View Post
Nice article Habsterix.

To answer your question. No I don't think he's done tinkering. Plenty of players will become available over the next couple of weeks. I obviously don't know for sure, but I feel MB has one more move up his sleeve before the season starts.
Thank you kindly. It's definitely a strong possibility for sure.

Old
08-29-2013, 12:39 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not sure I've seen one article state that gionta wouldn't be ready for training camp/home opener.
I read it was possible he would miss 2-4 weeks...regardless with Gionta in it gets very crowded if you add another top 9 guy.

Old
08-29-2013, 07:30 PM
SouthernHab
Summer Grilling

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Any time you make a critique on a hockey player, we will hold that comment as invalid since you cannot/ will not show us how you can do better.

Awful argument.
Should I have just called bsl's response a dick move and be done with it?

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:09 PM
yianik

Is MB done tinkering ? Pretty certain he has. I remain convinced MB is shooting for a window opening for us within the next couple of years and then fielding a contending team for years after that.

Figuring out who,when and what kind of players will emerge as NHLers from our prospect pool is a tough job for sure, but gets easier of course as they get older and work their way through the system. While he cant assume a certain number or kind of player will make it to the NHL, he can probably figure he can count on a certain number making it. As an example, he will probably be right to assume we will have at least 3-4 D-men that will be good enough to play in the NHL over the next few years given the depth and quality of our D pool. Whether they are top 4 or bottom pairing only time will tell. Anyway, I figure the roster will be flexible enough to be able to accommodate young guys getting ice-time coming up.

As for trades and UFA signings, MB will only pay up and take on long term, 4-5 years, for players if they can be quality contributors for the longer term. I think MB is always on the lookout for these type of moves, including right now. Rumours were he was trying to pull the trigger on a trade with the Flyers and I think he is open for business, especially knowing there are teams who still need to make some significant roster moves before their roster can be set. Don't see any significant UFA signings left for us. I think he wanted to add a guy like Murray but decided to take a chance and wait out the market hoping the right deal would open up. I am sure Murray would not have touched this deal ( he said as much ) a month ago and MB would not have paid the money or term Murray would have wanted a month ago. Given the market and the season fast approaching, Murray fell to MB. I think that's MBs strategy on the trade front right now as well, don't chase a trade and over pay, be prepared to walk unless the right deal comes along.

So the recent moves by MB have all been about tinkering, just filling immediate holes with 1 year deals mostly, waiting to snag the players who fit longer term at any given position or role.

yianik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Athlétique_Canadien

Given our minimal cap space & future LTIR adjustments we have wiggle room for a trade deadline move. There's no way Bergevin can acquire players without dumping a current contract. People have mentioned Moen, but dumping him might not be Bergevin's style. If we think about the way he's conducted things it's clear to see that he is honourable to his players. As much as we might all like to or not trade Moen, I suspect Bergy will keep his options open & keep Moen. By keeping options open I mean to say that if we have injury problems to some bigger players we have Moen to fall back on. Addition by subtraction

I think the roster is set. Meet your Habs

Athlétique_Canadien is offline   Reply With Quote