HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is Marc Bergevin Done Tinkering?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-29-2013, 09:57 PM
  #76
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by yianik View Post
I think he wanted to add a guy like Murray but decided to take a chance and wait out the market hoping the right deal would open up. I am sure Murray would not have touched this deal ( he said as much ) a month ago and MB would not have paid the money or term Murray would have wanted a month ago. Given the market and the season fast approaching, Murray fell to MB. I think that's MBs strategy on the trade front right now as well, don't chase a trade and over pay, be prepared to walk unless the right deal comes along.
You're bringing up an excellent point here with Murray. Is it possible that Morrow could follow the same path? I wouldn't be surprised.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 06:59 AM
  #77
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
if he manages to land Morrow on a similar deal to Murray (1 year, 2.5M>), you'd have to like the look of the habs roster + depth going into the season... would definitely make-up for the briere signing.

MaxPac- Pleks - Briere
Bourque- Eller - Gionta
Morrow- Galch - Gallagher
Prust - DD - Moen
(white, dumont, leblanc)

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Diaz - Murray
(tinordi, bouillion, beaulieu)

Price
Budaj


we could lose 2 players up front and 2 players (not named Subban) on defense without the lineup really taking a hit... and with still a bit of cap space to use come deadline if a tweak is needed.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 07:06 AM
  #78
charlie
Registered User
 
charlie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,261
vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if he manages to land Morrow on a similar deal to Murray (1 year, 2.5M>), you'd have to like the look of the habs roster + depth going into the season... would definitely make-up for the briere signing.

MaxPac- Pleks - Briere
Bourque- Eller - Gionta
Morrow- Galch - Gallagher
Prust - DD - Moen
(white, dumont, leblanc)

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Diaz - Murray
(tinordi, bouillion, beaulieu)

Price
Budaj


we could lose 2 players up front and 2 players (not named Subban) on defense without the lineup really taking a hit... and with still a bit of cap space to use come deadline if a tweak is needed.
If we were to bring in Morrow then I think Moen should go, and where is big George?

charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:14 PM
  #79
Kriss E
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 23,268
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
if he manages to land Morrow on a similar deal to Murray (1 year, 2.5M>), you'd have to like the look of the habs roster + depth going into the season... would definitely make-up for the briere signing.

MaxPac- Pleks - Briere
Bourque- Eller - Gionta
Morrow- Galch - Gallagher
Prust - DD - Moen
(white, dumont, leblanc)

Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Markov
Diaz - Murray
(tinordi, bouillion, beaulieu)

Price
Budaj


we could lose 2 players up front and 2 players (not named Subban) on defense without the lineup really taking a hit... and with still a bit of cap space to use come deadline if a tweak is needed.
I would appreciate the coming of Morrow, but I don't see it happening.
I'm not sure how I like your 4th line with DD, they would certainly dominate their opposition but I'm not sure DD will be happy playing 10min a game.

Kriss E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 06:07 PM
  #80
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,020
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
You mean, when he had a concussion or when he was getting back into play after losing the season's high beat for a month and a half?
These hockey players are machines, no forgiveness! I think the injury played a huge part in why Diaz game stumble upon his return to the lineup last season. I would give him another chance, I'm sure he wants to prove himself since be should be a UFA.

I think adding Murray, if they are paired together, will really help Diaz.

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:41 PM
  #81
Habsrback
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 446
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Exactly. Diaz barely made it back for the end of the season and playoffs, and was nowhere near 100%.

Judging him on those few games makes no sense. We need the type of skill he brings.
I think that some conveniently forget that Diaz's only offensive surge in the NHL was at the beginning of the season following the long lock-out, where he was one of the few who had played at a professional level, in the Swiss league. The NHL was a mess for the first 10-15 games and things were back at regular pace afterwards.

I agree that the end of the season and the playoffs demonstrated that Diaz is, to, the least, not part of the solution. His blind-sided pass to Eller is the best example of what some players do when they are pressured throughout a game by the opposing team. Diaz is not NHL playoff material. Point.

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:16 PM
  #82
donghabs98
Moderator
 
donghabs98's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,720
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsterix View Post
You're bringing up an excellent point here with Murray. Is it possible that Morrow could follow the same path? I wouldn't be surprised.
I wouldn't be surprised myself. This is around the time FAs will sign anything just to get a contract

donghabs98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 02:29 AM
  #83
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
If we were to bring in Morrow then I think Moen should go, and where is big George?
If the goal is to win hockey games, then big George is comfortably assuming Tomas kaberle's spot in the press box the vast majority of the time...
He can get his 5-6 min in games against Toronto orottawa, but otherwise we don't have much use/need for him.... I hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I would appreciate the coming of Morrow, but I don't see it happening.
I'm not sure how I like your 4th line with DD, they would certainly dominate their opposition but I'm not sure DD will be happy playing 10min a game.
Thing about DD is that he's spent so much of his athletic career in the "prove them wrong" mindset, that perhaps part of his issue last season, post windfall contract, is that he got lost without that chip on his shoulder... Getting relegated to the 4th line might just be the kick in the arse he needs.

Frankly, if we are icing our best roster nightly, there's a great chance he earns himself top9 or top6 minutes, but I see no issue in making him force the issue... Harder to do with briere, who should be the other odd man out.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 08:37 AM
  #84
Lshap
Moderator
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,476
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
I think that some conveniently forget that Diaz's only offensive surge in the NHL was at the beginning of the season following the long lock-out, where he was one of the few who had played at a professional level, in the Swiss league. The NHL was a mess for the first 10-15 games and things were back at regular pace afterwards.

I agree that the end of the season and the playoffs demonstrated that Diaz is, to, the least, not part of the solution. His blind-sided pass to Eller is the best example of what some players do when they are pressured throughout a game by the opposing team. Diaz is not NHL playoff material. Point.
So let's dismiss Diaz's first 20 games, but let's judge him on five playoff games and one pass. Sorry, this makes no sense.

Lshap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:07 AM
  #85
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
So let's dismiss Diaz's first 20 games, but let's judge him on five playoff games and one pass. Sorry, this makes no sense.
Or the fact that he had 3 points in this last 5 games leading up to the injury that put him out for a couple of months, and that he had to play 4 games in his first week back from injury leading up to the 5 playoff games in the week that followed. Give the guy a frigging break.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:17 AM
  #86
habdynasty
Registered User
 
habdynasty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,773
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
If we were to bring in Morrow then I think Moen should go, and where is big George?
I work with one of Morrows relatives and he told me Brendan was talking to 3 teams , Habs , oilers and the penguins. I guess a decision should be coming soon.

habdynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:56 AM
  #87
Habsterix*
@Habsterix
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,475
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habdynasty View Post
I work with one of Morrows relatives and he told me Brendan was talking to 3 teams , Habs , oilers and the penguins. I guess a decision should be coming soon.
I'm convinced this door is not closed yet. The Oilers would make a lot of sense, depending if he wants to stay in the Western conference or not. Habs and Pens probably have a pretty even shot.

Habsterix* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 11:17 AM
  #88
Smoky Thompson
Registered User
 
Smoky Thompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: 514
Posts: 3,613
vCash: 500
I'd love to see Morrow in the Habs jersey. Despite his age, he's the type of player we've needed for a while.

Big, will fight, can skate, has some skill and plays a gritty game. He also brings a lot of experience.
I think he'd fit on a third line with Bourque-DD-Morrow.

The problem is we're pretty deep and if everyone is healthy then I guess Morrow (Hopefully not one of our young guns) will be playing on the 4th line.


On the other hand depth isnt really a problem... Make it happen MB!

Smoky Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 11:50 AM
  #89
BLONG7
Registered User
 
BLONG7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 12,324
vCash: 500
Would Morrow take a 1.5M 1 yr contract??

BLONG7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 12:03 PM
  #90
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
For Miller who thinks Parros will be sitting a lot. You don't know much about MT do you ?

And i am glad we have MT.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 12:23 PM
  #91
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
For Miller who thinks Parros will be sitting a lot. You don't know much about MT do you ?

And i am glad we have MT.
Wait, what do YOU know about Therrien? How "much" he used to play Odjick, Asham, Blouin, or Dwyer back in the day? Or how much ice guys like Roy, Cairns, VandenBussche, Thorburn, Laraque, or Godard saw under him in Pittsburgh? Maybe you were confused by seeing a guy like Prust "filling" that role? White doesn't make for the strongest case, either. So I guess I ask once again:

What is everyone missing here?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:19 PM
  #92
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wait, what do YOU know about Therrien? How "much" he used to play Odjick, Asham, Blouin, or Dwyer back in the day? Or how much ice guys like Roy, Cairns, VandenBussche, Thorburn, Laraque, or Godard saw under him in Pittsburgh? Maybe you were confused by seeing a guy like Prust "filling" that role? White doesn't make for the strongest case, either. So I guess I ask once again:

What is everyone missing here?
In 2005-2006 Andre Roy played 40 games with 4-5 minutes a game (pretty much what every coaches used him) add to that VandenBussche with 20 games.

In 2006-2007 Thorburn was used almost 40 games with almost 8 minutes a game (he was also a rookie) and they had Laraque in the end of season who played all games and played around 7-8 minutes a games.

In 2007-2008 Laraque played all the season in Pittsburgh (He played 71 games) and again had around 7-8 minutes a game.

In 2008-2009 also Godard played pretty much all season in Pittsburgh and got 4 minutes a game which is pretty much what all coaches are giving him.

I think we'll see Parros, if he's effective, during 60-70 games at around 4-5 minutes a game.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:27 PM
  #93
Jakomyte
Registered User
 
Jakomyte's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,116
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I would appreciate the coming of Morrow, but I don't see it happening.
I'm not sure how I like your 4th line with DD, they would certainly dominate their opposition but I'm not sure DD will be happy playing 10min a game.
Honestly, for a team looking to contend for a Stanley cup, DD would fit nicely as a 4th line center, with two pseudo-skilled agitators like Prust/White/Moen, and then also get 2nd wave PP time.

Plus, he'd very easily step into the top 9 when (not if) injuries arise. Having DD as the de facto 2nd center BEFORE injuries means your lineup is not deep enough.

That is how depth can win cups.

Jakomyte is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:34 PM
  #94
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Honestly, for a team looking to contend for a Stanley cup, DD would fit nicely as a 4th line center, with two pseudo-skilled agitators like Prust/White/Moen, and then also get 2nd wave PP time.

Plus, he'd very easily step into the top 9 when (not if) injuries arise. Having DD as the de facto 2nd center BEFORE injuries means your lineup is not deep enough.

That is how depth can win cups.
Kind of like Frolik on the fourth like in Chicago ? Could be effective.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 01:50 PM
  #95
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
Wait, what do YOU know about Therrien? How "much" he used to play Odjick, Asham, Blouin, or Dwyer back in the day? Or how much ice guys like Roy, Cairns, VandenBussche, Thorburn, Laraque, or Godard saw under him in Pittsburgh? Maybe you were confused by seeing a guy like Prust "filling" that role? White doesn't make for the strongest case, either. So I guess I ask once again:

What is everyone missing here?
I have been watching MT since his junior years in Granby. The same MT that said on Anti chambre that the Habs need an enforcer who can and will play every night.

PunkinDrublic* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:11 PM
  #96
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakaar10iemechx2012 View Post
I have been watching MT since his junior years in Granby. The same MT that said on Anti chambre that the Habs need an enforcer who can and will play every night.
'can play' is the real problem, there.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:19 PM
  #97
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
'can play' is the real problem, there.
Parros is far from the worst he always played most games in the last few seasons and had 6+ minutes a game, often in playoffs calibers teams.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:23 PM
  #98
overlords
Hfboards
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Parros is far from the worst he always played most games in the last few seasons and had 6+ minutes a game, often in playoffs calibers teams.
Uh... florida finished dead last last year. Not sure what logical implication you think you're putting forward, but it really doesn't say anything about whether parros can play hockey or not. He's pretty dreadful. Maybe not John Scott useless, but close.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:35 PM
  #99
Forsead
Registered User
 
Forsead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Québec City
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,222
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Uh... florida finished dead last last year. Not sure what logical implication you think you're putting forward, but it really doesn't say anything about whether parros can play hockey or not. He's pretty dreadful. Maybe not John Scott useless, but close.
I said seasons in Anaheim he was playing 6 minutes a game in pretty much all his career.

For an enforcer he isn't the worst in term of hockey player, he isn't the best that's for sure though. My guess would be that he will play areound 60 games and has an average icetime between 4-5 minutes a game which is pretty standard for that type of player.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-02-2013, 02:59 PM
  #100
Ohashi_Jouzu
Registered User
 
Ohashi_Jouzu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Japan
Posts: 21,630
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
In 2005-2006 Andre Roy played 40 games with 4-5 minutes a game (pretty much what every coaches used him) add to that VandenBussche with 20 games.

In 2006-2007 Thorburn was used almost 40 games with almost 8 minutes a game (he was also a rookie) and they had Laraque in the end of season who played all games and played around 7-8 minutes a games.

In 2007-2008 Laraque played all the season in Pittsburgh (He played 71 games) and again had around 7-8 minutes a game.

In 2008-2009 also Godard played pretty much all season in Pittsburgh and got 4 minutes a game which is pretty much what all coaches are giving him.

I think we'll see Parros, if he's effective, during 60-70 games at around 4-5 minutes a game.
You think we'll see Parros around 60-70 games, and we just might. There typically isn't much about the use of 4-5 min/night enforcers - by Therrien or any other coach - that is synonymous with "every day player", though. Do they not often spend time in the press box when they're not spending 55 mins/night on the bench (especially in the playoffs)?

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.