Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

*OFFICIAL* Mississauga Steelheads 2013-14 Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
07-24-2013, 04:45 PM
DaleLamontagne

vCash: 500
Old news, but I thought it would be worth sharing for the people who didn't know: Former Steelheads’ forward, Riley Brace signed a one-year deal with the Worcester Sharks (San Jose Sharks affiliate) of the American Hockey League on July 16th.

Old
07-25-2013, 01:06 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleLamontagne View Post
Old news, but I thought it would be worth sharing for the people who didn't know: Former Steelheads’ forward, Riley Brace signed a one-year deal with the Worcester Sharks (San Jose Sharks affiliate) of the American Hockey League on July 16th.
Nice to see and gives hope to the guys that aren't drafted!

Old
07-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Torts

So excited for Riley to officially start his pro career, heres hoping he impresses San Jose to give him an even bigger chance with the organization.

Old
08-04-2013, 08:33 PM
mapleleaf979

What are the expectations for Sean Day?

Old
08-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Torts

Jesse Barwell committed.

http://www.mississaugasteelheads.com...-to-steelheads

Old
08-20-2013, 03:11 PM
superspitfan99

Camp starts in a week. Will be curious to see how they look this year?? Could be an interesting season or a very long one!

Old
08-20-2013, 04:08 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelheads101 View Post
Camp starts in a week. Will be curious to see how they look this year?? Could be an interesting season or a very long one!
More likely the latter. But I will go to the arena every game knowing I get to watch an exceptional player in Day. Makes it a little better.

Old
08-20-2013, 04:28 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
More likely the latter. But I will go to the arena every game knowing I get to watch an exceptional player in Day. Makes it a little better.
Sounds like what I was saying at the beginning of last season.

Old
08-20-2013, 06:35 PM
DaleLamontagne

Training Camp

Will anyone be attending the training camp next week? I'll try and make it for Thursday's Blue and White scrimmage. Should be interesting...

Old
08-21-2013, 04:05 PM
NHL Fanatic

Won't be surprised if Neil Doef is signed next

Old
08-28-2013, 03:29 PM
Torts

Saw this about our newest import on a random prospect website

Artem Rasulov, F (AK Bars) 5-11/150—(#22) Does not play like a stereotypical Russian. An unselfish center who is effective in the dirty areas of the ice. Is strong on the puck and is solid in the faceoff circle. Will be a much different player when he fills out. 2-6-8 in seven games played.

If elite prospects is right he's 6 feet almost 180 now. Should be interesting to see what he brings this season.

Old
08-29-2013, 04:09 PM
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner

I made the trip to Mississauga to catch the Thursday scrimmage. I was disappointed that the game didn't take place on the main rink as I am sure the kids would've loved playing there.

It was a typical Steelheads game with a low scoring affair (2-0).

To be honest, there was not a lot to take away from the game today.

Sean Day displayed his game as advertised (smooth skater) but he will really need to learn to engage himself physically (maybe he will in regular season action, but I know it has been a weakness of his game).

Damian Bourne - looks to have grown even larger but I wanted more from the big forward. He's puck skills and shot need to improve to warrant his first round selection. His game is VERY raw at this point. Also, for a kid with his impressive frame, he needs to learn to become more aggressive and compete for pucks harder. He's a good skater though.

Jesse Barwell remains one of my favourite players. I remember heading into last year's draft, I was pulling for him to be a first round selection. His dynamic ability, quick puck skills and ability to think the game quickly will eventually show teams that he was deserving of the first round. The Steelheads nabbed a good one in Barwell last year.

There were a few other players who had some good flashes but I will post more thoughts after tomorrow's scrimmage that I plan on attending.

Old
08-29-2013, 11:08 PM
NHL Fanatic

Sounds like Welsh is a no show for camp, I guess he is not returning to the club. It's interesting to see the log jam at C with Foy, Babinstev, Rasulov, MacIntyre, Barwell, Kopstals, and Clark. Guys are going to have to shift around. There are currently 14 forwards under contract but the team still lacks a goal scoring presence which may need to be sought out through trades. I agree with the above poster not to much to report from training camp but I also liked Filson and Di Tomaso. There shouldn't be too much expectations on Day as he is a young defensemen. Day is a great skater, seems rather effortless but his defensive game and physicality (especially in the corners) will a lot need work, but in this system I feel James Boyd will do a good job with that side of his development.

Last edited by NHL Fanatic: 08-29-2013 at 11:13 PM.
Old
08-30-2013, 05:48 AM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Sounds like Welsh is a no show for camp, I guess he is not returning to the club. It's interesting to see the log jam at C with Foy, Babinstev, Rasulov, MacIntyre, Barwell, Kopstals, and Clark. Guys are going to have to shift around. There are currently 14 forwards under contract but the team still lacks a goal scoring presence which may need to be sought out through trades. I agree with the above poster not to much to report from training camp but I also liked Filson and Di Tomaso. There shouldn't be too much expectations on Day as he is a young defensemen. Day is a great skater, seems rather effortless but his defensive game and physicality (especially in the corners) will a lot need work, but in this system I feel James Boyd will do a good job with that side of his development.
I have liked Filson the past 2 training camps, was surprised he didn't play his way on last year. Hoping he's at least rostered this year

Old
08-30-2013, 09:50 PM
chewerjones

Saw scrimmage today and I believe that defense will be ok to start the season. (Carrick, Graves, Diodati, Day, Zottl, Duhaime). They need to find someone to replace Duhaime.

DiTommaso can carry the puck, but that's it.
Younger Zottl was sketchy back there and needs seasoning. Youngsters Duggan and Gibson were nice surprises.

Of the forwards, Barwell looked good, Venuto was on fire along with Goldberg. Newbies that looked good were Filson, King played well. Gerhart seemed sluggish and not motivated. Hopefully not another Teskey.

Clark will take up a spot that can be had by a lot better players. He should have never been signed.

Carty and Hertz played well in net.

They should compete for 7th or 8th spot.

Old
08-30-2013, 11:02 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post
Saw scrimmage today and I believe that defense will be ok to start the season. (Carrick, Graves, Diodati, Day, Zottl, Duhaime). They need to find someone to replace Duhaime.

Younger Zottl was sketchy back there and needs seasoning. Youngsters Duggan and Gibson were nice surprises.

Of the forwards, Barwell looked good, Venuto was on fire along with Goldberg. Newbies that looked good were Filson, King played well. Gerhart seemed sluggish and not motivated. Hopefully not another Teskey.

Clark will take up a spot that can be had by a lot better players. He should have never been signed.

The Goldberg, Babinstev and Venuto line played well both days. Showed some good chemistry but the true test will be if they can bring it to the table when the season starts. They all look much better though. Cobbold, Foy, Smoskowitz, Burnside, Martin, Rasulov all didn't play again along with injured Kopstals and Graves.

Old
08-31-2013, 12:30 PM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewerjones View Post

Any chance DiTommaso makes the team? And how did Bradley Bell looked. I've been wondering about him for some time and if he can play in OHL. Smaller guy but may provide some offense.

Also, not good news on Gerhart. At U17 camp and these scrimmages the same has been said about him. Yikes!

Old
08-31-2013, 01:21 PM
NHL Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torts View Post
Any chance DiTommaso makes the team? And how did Bradley Bell looked. I've been wondering about him for some time and if he can play in OHL. Smaller guy but may provide some offense.

Also, not good news on Gerhart. At U17 camp and these scrimmages the same has been said about him. Yikes!
Bell did not attend camp. I remember reading somewhere that he passed on the Steelheads offer to take a run at the NCAA. Exhibition starts tomorrow for the team, so you will see who made it through the first round of cuts.

Old
09-01-2013, 11:30 AM
Torts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL Fanatic View Post
Bell did not attend camp. I remember reading somewhere that he passed on the Steelheads offer to take a run at the NCAA. Exhibition starts tomorrow for the team, so you will see who made it through the first round of cuts.
I'm just excited to see a live game, it seems like it's been forever.

Old
09-01-2013, 03:20 PM
district9

Sort of an off-topic question but don't know where else it would go...

Gonna be passing through Mississauga on the 15th, day of the last preseason game against Erie. We're all from NYC and have never seen major junior hockey live, was wondering if by the final game of preseason the rosters are set, or if we'd end up seeing essentially a tryout game. Thanks in advance, and best of luck to the Steelheads this year (hope it's better than last!)

Old
09-01-2013, 04:18 PM
ErieOttersNews
Bura Come Back

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post

Gonna be passing through Mississauga on the 15th, day of the last preseason game against Erie. We're all from NYC and have never seen major junior hockey live, was wondering if by the final game of preseason the rosters are set, or if we'd end up seeing essentially a tryout game. Thanks in advance, and best of luck to the Steelheads this year (hope it's better than last!)
I know for Erie right now, the roster is getting close to set. Most of the "tryout" players have been cut and by September 15th, you should see something thats pretty close to the actual rosters.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:32 PM
superspitfan99

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
I made the trip to Mississauga to catch the Thursday scrimmage. I was disappointed that the game didn't take place on the main rink as I am sure the kids would've loved playing there.

It was a typical Steelheads game with a low scoring affair (2-0).

To be honest, there was not a lot to take away from the game today.

Sean Day displayed his game as advertised (smooth skater) but he will really need to learn to engage himself physically (maybe he will in regular season action, but I know it has been a weakness of his game).

Damian Bourne - looks to have grown even larger but I wanted more from the big forward. He's puck skills and shot need to improve to warrant his first round selection. His game is VERY raw at this point. Also, for a kid with his impressive frame, he needs to learn to become more aggressive and compete for pucks harder. He's a good skater though.

Jesse Barwell remains one of my favourite players. I remember heading into last year's draft, I was pulling for him to be a first round selection. His dynamic ability, quick puck skills and ability to think the game quickly will eventually show teams that he was deserving of the first round. The Steelheads nabbed a good one in Barwell last year.

There were a few other players who had some good flashes but I will post more thoughts after tomorrow's scrimmage that I plan on attending.
This must be your first season at camp....they never play in the main rink. The ice usually isn't in there yet.

Old
09-03-2013, 02:59 PM
Elever
Hth

Are they holding an autograph signing or open practise? I'd like to get a Spencer Martin card signed.

Old
09-03-2013, 04:19 PM
Garyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post

Roster should be about 90-95% set. Might be a few guys fighting it out for a final roster sport or two. You'll pretty much get a finished product.

Enjoy, and hopefully you Sean Day is playing in that game. His skating alone will make the game/experience worth it.

Old
09-03-2013, 08:21 PM
chewerjones

I heard that they signed DiTomaso.

Closed Thread