HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

where's the sandpaper?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
11-12-2006, 09:25 AM
  #1
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,148
vCash: 500
where's the sandpaper?

aside from all the other things that were missing last night, one thing stood out to me...
I realize that speed is the new NHL mantra, and that our team is made up mostly of smallish faster type players, but where the hell is the Sandpaper?

Where are the guys that take a 5-1 beating personally and make it their mission in life to let the other team know that handing the habs a big loss like that is going to come at a physical price.

Worst thing about loosing so badly to the leafs last night is that they got to go home to their wives and girlfriends as if they just stepped out for a casual stroll in the park, as opposed to surviving a battle for their very lives.

We have few guys that can send that kind of message, but they need to be reminded that it must be sent...
Souray, Rivet, Begin, Murray, Downey, Komi... these guys need to understand that part of their job is to make it tough for the opposition to play us. IF they don't, if they content themselves to let koivu and perez do the mucking around, then we have a SERIOUS problem.

I'm not saying that I want some no-skill goon taking up a roster spot, but geez, why do Murray and Downey get any ice time anyways if it's not to get undre the oppositions skin?

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 09:34 AM
  #2
larue*
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,688
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
aside from all the other things that were missing last night, one thing stood out to me...
I realize that speed is the new NHL mantra, and that our team is made up mostly of smallish faster type players, but where the hell is the Sandpaper?

Where are the guys that take a 5-1 beating personally and make it their mission in life to let the other team know that handing the habs a big loss like that is going to come at a physical price.

Worst thing about loosing so badly to the leafs last night is that they got to go home to their wives and girlfriends as if they just stepped out for a casual stroll in the park, as opposed to surviving a battle for their very lives.

We have few guys that can send that kind of message, but they need to be reminded that it must be sent...
Souray, Rivet, Begin, Murray, Downey, Komi... these guys need to understand that part of their job is to make it tough for the opposition to play us. IF they don't, if they content themselves to let koivu and perez do the mucking around, then we have a SERIOUS problem.

I'm not saying that I want some no-skill goon taking up a roster spot, but geez, why do Murray and Downey get any ice time anyways if it's not to get undre the oppositions skin?
Exactly but one thing I did notice that bothered me a little last night was once we were down 3-1 and needed a goal bad,, the fourth line that hadnt even touched the puck all night except Pleks was still being played. The coaching staff has to realize in a game when it is time to change the lines a bit. In the third I would have sat Murray and Downey.....they were useless...and move pleks up with Kovy and Perez or Sammy or put Kovy with Saku or something. I mean rolling the same four lines all game will be down by 2 or 3 goals doesnt make any sense to me. Especially when 3 out of the 4 lines just stunk it up all night long.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 09:36 AM
  #3
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,148
vCash: 500
just to think about...

Dallas and Anaheim, two of the top teams in the league thus far, have the top two PIM guys in the league (Barnaby and O'brien), who also happen to lead the league in Major penalties...

Maybe the era of the goon isn't as far away as some people think???

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 10:00 AM
  #4
Mike8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 11,124
vCash: 500
Except Barnaby and O'Brien aren't exactly goons.

Mike8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 10:19 AM
  #5
Miller Time
Registered User
 
Miller Time's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 8,148
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8 View Post
Except Barnaby and O'Brien aren't exactly goons.
not exactly skill players either...
o'brien plays 13 minutes/game, barnaby plays 8 minutes/game.

By goon I meant players that are in the lineup more to fight/play physical (sandpaper) than anything else.

Barnaby isn't a terrible hockey player, but his role with Dallas is pretty clear.
I don't know much about O'brien, maybe he brings more to the table, but clearly the guy likes to drop the gloves!

In any case, I think we could use a player of that mold in the lineup instead of downey/murray.

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:04 AM
  #6
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
I am totally fine with our loss last night... Honestly... We came out and played the worst 2 periods of the year last night, and IMO thats the breaking point... Carbs is gonna blast em in to shape now...

They were media darlings for the first month... But they committed the cardinal sin last night when losing, and poorly I might add, on a night that meant something... I'll chalk it up to a learning moment, as I am absolutely positive that the boys will take somethign from this game and learn from it... Cause when it counts, thats when we want to show up... **** the regular season... Give me my 24 cups

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 11:35 AM
  #7
Carbo N8
Registered User
 
Carbo N8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
I am totally fine with our loss last night... Honestly... We came out and played the worst 2 periods of the year last night, and IMO thats the breaking point... Carbs is gonna blast em in to shape now...
He should have done that after the last Toronto game when thet didn't show up. I'm obviously a big Carbo fan, but, he needs to make this team more accountable for their lack of effort.

They were media darlings for the first month... But they committed the cardinal sin last night when losing, and poorly I might add, on a night that meant something... I'll chalk it up to a learning moment, as I am absolutely positive that the boys will take somethign from this game and learn from it... Cause when it counts, thats when we want to show up... **** the regular season... Give me my 24 cups :yo:
Habs finishing 9th in the East with the Leafs finishing 8th isn't going to give us #25.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-12-2006, 09:58 PM
  #8
Mr. Hab
Registered User
 
Mr. Hab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,001
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
aside from all the other things that were missing last night, one thing stood out to me...
I realize that speed is the new NHL mantra, and that our team is made up mostly of smallish faster type players, but where the hell is the Sandpaper?

Where are the guys that take a 5-1 beating personally and make it their mission in life to let the other team know that handing the habs a big loss like that is going to come at a physical price.

Worst thing about loosing so badly to the leafs last night is that they got to go home to their wives and girlfriends as if they just stepped out for a casual stroll in the park, as opposed to surviving a battle for their very lives.

We have few guys that can send that kind of message, but they need to be reminded that it must be sent...
Souray, Rivet, Begin, Murray, Downey, Komi... these guys need to understand that part of their job is to make it tough for the opposition to play us. IF they don't, if they content themselves to let koivu and perez do the mucking around, then we have a SERIOUS problem.

I'm not saying that I want some no-skill goon taking up a roster spot, but geez, why do Murray and Downey get any ice time anyways if it's not to get undre the oppositions skin?
Good thread.
I have to admit...the Habs just didn't show up (pulled a definite "NO-SHOW"). Not only that, they were sleepwalkers out there. The way the Habs played it would have been difficult to beat an AHL team


Here's the good news...: I have a feeling that the Habs won't give us too many of these "type" of games. Carbo won't permit it. The players won't permit it (Komi, Higgins, Koivu, Rivet, Souray, Begin, Johnson...).

Go Habs Go

Mr. Hab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 09:44 AM
  #9
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
Habs finishing 9th in the East with the Leafs finishing 8th isn't going to give us #25.
Heck, Habs finishing first and the leafs finishing 15th wouldnt give us 25 either... There is no way the coaching staff is going to tread lightly... lots of lessons are learned in the losing games. video review makes everything visible twice... After Carbs fine combs that sucker of a loss... I am sure the guys will have a very intense practice with the coach... where lessons WILL be learned

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 11:58 AM
  #10
Carbo N8
Registered User
 
Carbo N8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 941
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Heck, Habs finishing first and the leafs finishing 15th wouldnt give us 25 either... There is no way the coaching staff is going to tread lightly... lots of lessons are learned in the losing games. video review makes everything visible twice... After Carbs fine combs that sucker of a loss... I am sure the guys will have a very intense practice with the coach... where lessons WILL be learned

Agreed, I just think that the lessons should have been learned & corrected after the last Leafs game. I certainly didn't expect to see a repeat performance 2 weeks later against the same team.

Correction, they were actually worse.

Carbo N8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
11-13-2006, 02:39 PM
  #11
Marchy79
Registered User
 
Marchy79's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Barrie
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbo N8 View Post
Agreed, I just think that the lessons should have been learned & corrected after the last Leafs game. I certainly didn't expect to see a repeat performance 2 weeks later against the same team.

Correction, they were actually worse.
Very true...
When these losses do come however (and they do... for just about every team in the NHL) I believe these are stepping stones for better play... Our coaching is going to be put to the test this weekend... Our entire staff's reaction to the loss should be upon relevance tonight when they play the Ottawa Senators... I fully expect our boys to have their juice jugs full to the brim
Furthermore with Kostitsyn now up... I believe we are a better team...

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:44 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.