HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hockey Hotline w/ K-Sly and general WGR talk

Old
04-03-2013, 10:29 AM
joshjull

vCash: 500
Thankfully Duffer is on. I really wish he would get this show on top of his other duties.

It's funny listening to Duffer with those two. It's like he brought his kids to work.

And Petey is comically off his rocker. He just yelled to someone in the Sabres store looking to buy a Miller jersey to wait 30mins it might be 50% off by then.

Last edited by joshjull: 04-03-2013 at 10:36 AM.
joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:36 AM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Thankfully Duffer is on. I really wish he would get this show on top of his other duties.

It's funny listening to Duffer with those two. It's like he brought his kids to work.

And Petey is comically of his rocker. He just yelled to someone in the Sabres store looking to buy a Miller jersey to wait 30mins it might be 50% off.
And he just called the show "real radio" about 3 minutes ago. He is so lame.

But yea, Duff is nice on the show. He should be doing the show; Sylvester has past experience in radio though and that's why he got it.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:36 AM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigoo View Post
And he just called the show "real radio" about 3 minutes ago. He is so lame.
Who is he?

joshjull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 10:42 AM
indigoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshjull View Post
Who is he?
Sorry, Peters said it.

Wow, Kevin just said something like "Go back to your basement and come back with somethign else..." What an arrogant *****.

indigoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:02 AM
sba

Send a message via AIM to sba
I listened to this on my way into work today and lost every ounce of faith I have in this organization for employing Andrew Peters

sba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:21 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
I'm waiting for the time when someone comes down to the Sabres store and tries to fight Sylvester. Hey, maybe that's why they hired Peters. HH Enforcer.

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 11:42 AM
SirRocko

Peters just went on about Sekera having value due to his untapped offensive potential but his being a liability defensively being a knock on him.

SirRocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-03-2013, 12:36 PM
matthew94

Send a message via AIM to matthew94
That is the worst radio show I've ever heard

Sylvester is awkwardly abrasive about all the wrong things. Peters isn't good at talking out loud (I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume stuff sounds right in his head). The two of them together puts the 'sin' in synergy.

matthew94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-04-2013, 01:02 AM
Squantosawuss

Radio experience or not, there is little to nothing likeable about K-Sly. He's stiff, unfunny, arrogant and a massive homer.

As dopey as Peters is, I do think he is hysterical. He's a clown. The perfect foil for the dry and boring Sylvester.

Yelling to someone to maybe wait 30 min. to buy a Miller jersey? C'mon, that's friggin' funny!

Squantosawuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 10:50 AM
Squantosawuss

K-Sly was in rare homer form today. He was belittling a caller who said he'd rather have losses leading to a #1 pick than pointlessly squeaking into 8th place for a futile attempt at a playoff run.

K-Sly insisted that "no way" the Sabres finish behind Colorado, Calgary and Florida, because those teams are "really bad". Huh? I guess a homer always needs someone to look down on, but in case K-Sly hasn't noticed, the Sabres are about as bad as it gets. Of course he doesn't take games-in-hand into account either in his latest keen assessment. He also thinks you still have a shot at the top picks even finishing 9th. Again, the "odds" concept escapes him.

I wanted to punch my radio when I heard Petey throw the "Look at L.A." exclamation out there in explaining how "anything can happen" when you land in 8th. UGH! They just don't get it. Gee, landing a key player to build a Cup team around vs. middling. Hmmmm. I gotta think about which I'd prefer. I almost wish L.A. didn't win, just because now, every fan who failed math/statistics will be a-ok with middling...because anything can happen!

Old
04-08-2013, 10:58 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squantosawuss View Post
K-Sly was in rare homer form today. He was belittling a caller who said he'd rather have losses leading to a #1 pick than pointlessly squeaking into 8th place for a futile attempt at a playoff run.

K-Sly insisted that "no way" the Sabres finish behind Colorado, Calgary and Florida, because those teams are "really bad". Huh? I guess a homer always needs someone to look down on, but in case K-Sly hasn't noticed, the Sabres are about as bad as it gets. Of course he doesn't take games-in-hand into account either in his latest keen assessment. He also thinks you still have a shot at the top picks even finishing 9th. Again, the "odds" concept escapes him.

I wanted to punch my radio when I heard Petey throw the "Look at L.A." exclamation out there in explaining how "anything can happen" when you land in 8th. UGH! They just don't get it. Gee, landing a key player to build a Cup team around vs. middling. Hmmmm. I gotta think about which I'd prefer. I almost wish L.A. didn't win, just because now, every fan who failed math/statistics will be a-ok with middling...because anything can happen!
As annoying as they are, I agree with Ksly on this one. Colorado, Calgary and Florida really are much worse than us.

stokes84 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:20 AM
ManuelCalavera
La-La-La-Locked Out

Quote:
Ugh, he's such an ass. I would never listen to the show, but I frequent this thread to pick up the highlights of his incompetence. He lacks hockey knowledge, wit, and speaking ability; he makes up for it with an undeserved condescension to his listeners.

ManuelCalavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 11:43 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:

The guy very obviously makes you angry, yet you seem to tune in every day. Why?

Zip15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:58 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Maybe he thinks there's SOME redeeming quality to it.

I think a thread needs to be started that has better radio shows that discuss hockey. Internet only, or terrestrial radio. The goal is getting more listeners away from Sylvester and his drivel.

Sportsnet 590 is decent, but only an hour a day... There must be others as good or better, and on for hours.

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 01:15 PM
Squantosawuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Not a lot of choices for NHL talk at that time.

Plus, I do like Peters. It's funny to hear how annoyed K-Sly gets with things he says. K-Sly is such a stiff. I honestly don't know how he landed in that position, he's got next to NO personality.

Old
08-09-2013, 11:00 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Not sure how many people caught it, but Bakes and his brother Ken had a whole hour this morning with Duff on Hockey Hotline.

08-09-2013, 01:00 PM
SirRocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Not sure how many people caught it, but Bakes and his brother Ken had a whole hour this morning with Duff on Hockey Hotline.
I really enjoyed that whole segment. Just out of curiosity, how big of a role did Baker have on this board in the past? Was he a regular poster at any point?

Old
08-09-2013, 02:16 PM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
I really enjoyed that whole segment. Just out of curiosity, how big of a role did Baker have on this board in the past? Was he a regular poster at any point?
Yes he was. Very much so

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 02:19 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirRocko View Post
Former writer, then long-standing mod. Great guy to talk puck with... or beer... or humor... or, well, you get the picture.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 03:41 PM
SirRocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Former writer, then long-standing mod. Great guy to talk puck with... or beer... or humor... or, well, you get the picture.
Wow, that's really cool! Even if I'm not a significant poster on this board, I spend a TON of time reading the thoughts of others. It's crazy that a guy in his position was once a prominent poster here. Even more awesome to see how successful he is becoming.

Sylvester and Peters really seem to enjoy what he has to say and he's even changed their minds on a couple ideas/prospects the times I've listened. Plus he seems to be getting the WGR regulars more into the prospect/draft part of the game. whenever they've brought him on the shows.

Those WGR guys will never be as knowledgeable as a lot of posters on this board, but it's a start, and I think Baker is a big part of that.

Old
08-09-2013, 05:22 PM
kenfury

I honestly dont mind Peters in the role he has right now. While not the best speaker he comes from the heart, had cool stories, and I have a feeling many of the interviews are a result of him reaching out to people he knows. I also like that they can go on tangents sometimes. Far better than the afternoon guys who so clearly have an agenda that I cant listen to them anymore.

kenfury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-09-2013, 07:39 PM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenfury View Post
I honestly dont mind Peters in the role he has right now. While not the best speaker he comes from the heart, had cool stories, and I have a feeling many of the interviews are a result of him reaching out to people he knows. I also like that they can go on tangents sometimes. Far better than the afternoon guys who so clearly have an agenda that I cant listen to them anymore.
Peters is good half the time. He is good kibitzing with the players.

He was frustrating the hell out of Duff this week. Peters just can't keep up with Duff (or Sylvester). Both Duff and Sylvester will intro an idea/thought and then want/wait for Peters to respond. Dead air............ Duff was also working hard to keep Peters on topic.

A few times Duff just responded: "YOU ARE awful"

I think Peters just zones out or gets distracted. I really envision that he is texting during these moments.

Smart that Duff did the interview with DunLevy and RJ without Peters..

With that said when Sylvester started the show alone and had Peters on as a guest, I thought to myself that Sylvester needs Peters full time.

Jacob582 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 09:59 AM
LaFontaineToMogilny

vCash: 1232
Not a big fan of Kevin Sylvester's broadcasting style, and there are obvious issues with Andrew Peters' coherency as well, but all is forgiven! If they can serve up Michael Peca then follow it up with Phil Esposito on my way to work I can live with it.

LaFontaineToMogilny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:30 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

KB is on now (11:30AM)

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:54 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFontaineToMogilny View Post
Not a big fan of Kevin Sylvester's broadcasting style, and there are obvious issues with Andrew Peters' coherency as well, but all is forgiven! If they can serve up Michael Peca then follow it up with Phil Esposito on my way to work I can live with it.
I would credit Danny Gare for that.

Jacob582 is online now   Reply With Quote