HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Philadelphia 76ers (NBA): Season starts Nov. 1 at WAS; home opener Nov. 2 vs. CHI

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2013, 01:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Sixers making tank job abundantly clear

Winless for Wiggins..nice!

Quote:
According to Bovada, the Miami Heat are the heavy favorites to win the 2013-14 NBA title. You know which team isn’t a heavy favorite to win the 2013-14 NBA title? The Philadelphia 76ers, who are actually a heavy favorite to lose lots of basketball games and potentially acquire lots of ping pong balls in next year’s overstuffed NBA draft. Bovada has the Sixers listed as a 300/1 longshot to win the championship. Only the Bobcats and Magic (500/1) have worse odds, which is really a disservice to Charlotte and Orlando. The Magic got a lot better this offseason. And the Bobcats, while still awful, will be hard pressed to equal the Sixers’ ineptitude this season.

That’s what Hinkie has created so far. And bless him for it.

Tank Town. Tank City. Winless for Wiggins. Whatever slogan you prefer, it all adds up to the same thing: The Sixers are rightly sacrificing today (and tomorrow and many of the days to follow) in order to clear cap space and prepare for next year’s NBA draft, where they figure to have five picks, including two first-rounders.

Again, it’s a solid plan. It’s also striking how plainly Hinkie and the Sixers have made that plan known. Look at the salary cap. It’s way up there at $58.67 million. Now look at the Sixers’ current salary commitments. It's way down there, currently around $43 million –- and that’s after the Sixers added Tony Wroten.

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...undantly-clear

Old
08-30-2013, 01:47 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Winless for Wiggins..nice!
Charlotte and Orlando play in the same division so hopefully they even out some games.

At the same time, history says finishing as the 2nd worst team might be better.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:53 PM
flybynite77

Well the 5 picks in the 2014 draft is a bit misleading because two of those picks are second rounders from Houston and Brooklyn which both are likely going to be in the last 6 or 7 picks of the entire draft.

However, the Sixers are looking at 3 picks in the top-35 since their second round pick is likely to be very high. Worst case scenario for the Sixers this draft is probably that they fall out of the top 3 picks and end up picking 4th with their own pick and one of the teams that jump into the top 3 is New Orleans so New Orleans keeps their pick (top-5 protection).

Best case scenario is Sixers win draft lottery and get Wiggins and New Orleans ends up in that 6-10 range and doesn't win the 2nd or 3rd pick in the lotto. Giving the Sixers the first overall and another top-10 pick.

Old
10-05-2013, 01:52 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
Fear of flying isn't necessarily uncommon but interesting in that it could be the reason a player didn't travel.

Quote:
BILBAO, Spain - New 76er Royce White tried last week to dispel any speculation that air travel would hinder him from playing for the team this season.

However, the 6-foot-8 forward, who has an anxiety disorder, wasn't among the 14 players who flew here Thursday. The Sixers will face Bilbao Basket on Sunday at the Bizkala Arena at Bilbao Exhibition Center. On Tuesday, they'll face Oklahoma City in Manchester, England.

"It really was just based on our team doctor giving me and [general manager] Sam [Hinkie] and the club advice that it may be best for him to remain at home," Sixers coach Brett Brown said of White's absence. "You know we are with him. We will support and help him."

It was widely believed that White's perceived fear of flying contributed to his failure to play in the NBA last season.
Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/d...LpkpMz2Ohgs.99

Old
10-07-2013, 01:33 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiScreamingEagles View Post
Fear of flying isn't necessarily uncommon but interesting in that it could be the reason a player didn't travel.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/d...LpkpMz2Ohgs.99
I know Sixers are in all-out tank mode, but they should at least get the scrubs they sign to actually play/practice with the team. Either "B.A. Baracus" this guy or release him. I don't like the team sucking but understand it for this year, but I like less a team that sucks with guys who collect a check and do nothing (looking at you, Bynum).

Old
10-07-2013, 03:14 PM
FLYguy3911

Watched some of the game yesterday before the birds came on. Nice to see some ball movement on offense instead of isolation every other possession. No shooters but nice to see. Hawes looked awful.

Old
10-07-2013, 06:29 PM
daynus

winless for wiggins

count me in im game. well i can watch a few of my teams, warriors and bulls and hope they win, and when i get a 76ers game on the tube, i will cheer for them to lose, every game lol

Old
10-10-2013, 02:22 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-crosby-shirt/

Noel just endeared him to this town more than Bynum ever did all last year IMHO.

E: I should've made it more clear than just posting a link that got truncated: Nerlens Noel bought an "I hate Sidney Crosby" tee shirt.

Last edited by Phileeguy: 10-10-2013 at 02:34 PM.
Old
10-10-2013, 02:29 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 1143
Noel is a high character individual. Pretty much the anti-bynum.

Old
10-10-2013, 03:12 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phileeguy View Post
http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...-crosby-shirt/

Noel just endeared him to this town more than Bynum ever did all last year IMHO.

E: I should've made it more clear than just posting a link that got truncated: Nerlens Noel bought an "I hate Sidney Crosby" tee shirt.
I love solidarity between sports teams in the same city.

10-10-2013, 04:17 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1503
^There was a photo taken in the late 80s when Derek Smith of the 76ers and Derrick Smith of the Flyers exchanged jerseys.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:05 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Riggin’ for Wiggins

Gonna be an ugly year but possibly a great offseason and draft....

Quote:
Winless for Wiggins. Riggin’ for Wiggins. That’s what they’re calling it these days. ‘It’ being the tanking NBA teams are expected to enact this season in order to land the NBA draft’s grand prize: University of Kansas freshman Andrew Wiggins.

The 76ers are less than two weeks away from embarking on their 2013-14 campaign and no, Sixers head coach Brett Brown and general manager Sam Hinkie are not tanking. They are simply strategically filling out the Sixers' roster with players who have upside, but are not impactful. Fourteen of the 20 players currently on the roster have two years or fewer of NBA experience

http://www.csnphilly.com/basketball-...gin-it-wiggins

Old
10-21-2013, 10:07 AM
Hiesenberg

vCash: 491
When does college BBall start? I'd be interested to watch this kid, and whats to say he comes out this year?

Old
10-21-2013, 10:10 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiesenberg View Post
When does college BBall start? I'd be interested to watch this kid, and whats to say he comes out this year?
He'll come out...the money he is going to be showered with will be too tempting. He's pretty much a lock right now to come out early..provided he doesn't have some serious injury but even that won't stop him.

Old
10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Hiesenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
He'll come out...the money he is going to be showered with will be too tempting. He's pretty much a lock right now to come out early..provided he doesn't have some serious injury but even that won't stop him.
And Noel Nerlins is supposed to be a pretty elite defensive C, right?

So if they get this Wiggins kid, who is what? Lebron-lite?

They'll have Wiggins/Nerlins, do they still have whoever they took #2?

Old
10-21-2013, 10:14 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
And Noel Nerlins is supposed to be a pretty elite defensive C, right?

So if they get this Wiggins kid, who is what? Lebron-lite?

They'll have Wiggins/Nerlins, do they still have whoever they took #2?
Yeah and they will have cash to sign some impact FA's if they want to come here of course.

Yeah they still have the #2..and that is an appropriate characterization of him..a #2 piece o crap...

Old
10-21-2013, 10:18 AM
Hiesenberg

That's right, so they'll have Nerlins + Wiggins and then a ton of cash to lure Lebron.

lol

Old
10-21-2013, 05:28 PM
Justified
Amaro out

vCash: 673
Win less for Wiggins, lets do this!

Old
10-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Phileeguy
G's got good hands.

Chances are, we wont see Noel at all this year.

http://espn.go.com/nba/story/_/id/98...ted-for-season

I know tanking is the best strategy, along with making sure Noel is healthy, but I would've liked to see him get at least some games under his belt.

Whatever, not like we haven't gone through the entire last season without the Sixers center they acquired in the offseason not playing 1 minute. What's one more year?

Old
10-21-2013, 10:04 PM
MRxBLACK
ESPN Sucks

vCash: 1143
I think he will get some games toward the end of the season. But its better for them to say don't expect anything so a repeat of last year with Bybum doesn't occur.

Old
10-21-2013, 11:37 PM
FLYguy3911

I can see it now. Sixers finish with the worst record in the league, lose the lottery, and watch Wiggins beat the Sixers in the finals. Sounds like something that happened to a Philadelphia franchise before.

Old
10-21-2013, 11:45 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Nov 8th. They usually have a 24 hour kick-off marathon which is pretty cool.

Old
10-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Big Poppa Puck
Bring back JTG!

The Sixers make the fact they are tanking more and more obvious with each passing day.

Old
10-23-2013, 11:12 AM
Hollywood Couturier

The NBA you only have a 25% chance of getting the first pick if you finish last. I will guarantee that if the Sixers have the worst record they don't win the lottery. Some other team is in more financial trouble or they have a new owner will win it. NBA lottery is fixed.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
10-23-2013, 05:17 PM
PhilaFlyers

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Couturier View Post
The NBA you only have a 25% chance of getting the first pick if you finish last. I will guarantee that if the Sixers have the worst record they don't win the lottery. Some other team is in more financial trouble or they have a new owner will win it. NBA lottery is fixed.
Either way, Jabarai Parker,Julius Randle and Marcus Smart are not bad consolation prizes. Not to mention we have the Pelicans pick, which is only top 4 protected.

Last edited by PhilaFlyers: 10-23-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Closed Thread