HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Official Eskimos and CFL 2013 season thread Part 3: Eskies 3-9, I ain't even mad now

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2013, 02:54 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 95
Jason Gregor ‏@JasonGregor 1m
If I read this correct, http://proplayers.ca/docs/default-do...rbitration.pdf … the judge ruled Tiger Cats negotiated with the wrong "advisor" thus Williams is a UFA. Hmm

Old
08-29-2013, 02:57 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
If I read this correct, http://proplayers.ca/docs/default-do...rbitration.pdf the judge ruled Tiger Cats negotiated with the wrong "advisor" thus Williams is a UFA. Hmm
Chris Williams? Damn it Hervey, give him ALL the money.

Old
08-29-2013, 03:15 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
I think the league is appealing so I have no idea if he can sign or not.

Old
08-29-2013, 03:22 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
I think the league is appealing so I have no idea if he can sign or not.
I'd still do it if I'm Edmonton, what's the worst that happens? He's not a UFA, lol

Old
08-29-2013, 04:14 PM
Gord
Go Esks!

vCash: 1275
Quote:
Chris O'Leary ‏@olearychris 4m
Hugh Charles says he's taking one game off after aggravating a hamstring last week vs #riders #eskimos #cfl
that's ok. Reed never uses him properly anyway.
at least he warned us. There are a few esks on defense that have taken games off without telling anyone, or even leaving the field.

Old
08-29-2013, 04:38 PM
Halibut

vCash: 500
Hamilton also released Greg Peach recently and he had a decent season here a couple years back. Anyone know what the story with him is?

Old
08-29-2013, 04:54 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibut View Post
Hamilton also released Greg Peach recently and he had a decent season here a couple years back. Anyone know what the story with him is?
Injuries this year I thought?

Did Charles get hurt on that return last week? I can't remember know if it was a toss or return or what. Either way I didn't want him doing returns anyway. Should be able to find some sort of undersized speedster from NFL cuts. Shouldn't be that hard to fix.

Also Ray out for up to 6 weeks.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:21 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
Here he was injured more than they liked and they felt they had better players at his position. Not sure about Hamilton.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:36 PM
MoneyGuy

Quote:
If I read this correct, http://proplayers.ca/docs/default-do...rbitration.pdf the judge ruled Tiger Cats negotiated with the wrong "advisor" thus Williams is a UFA. Hmm
This is common in the CFL. The league is appealing it. It's not over.

Old
08-29-2013, 05:50 PM
Quokka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
This is common in the CFL. The league is appealing it. It's not over.
But that's not at all what the decision turned on, so I'm not sure what Gregor was getting at. THe judge ruled that in the letter to Williams the Tiger-cats didn't clearly state that they were unilaterally extending him (as allowed for under the contract) or whether they were offering him an extension, therefore there was no valid contract because it wasn't extended properly.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:15 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post

It would be sweet poetic justice. Tillman has a hand in jumping in and taking Tavoy Moore, and we get Chris Williams instead. I like it.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Stoneman89

Freaking hilarious. The league fines Weldon Brown for an illegal hit to the head of Mike Reilly, but there is no penalty during the game. Go figure. Take a bow, you clowns.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/C.../21085576.html

Old
08-29-2013, 08:42 PM
AJGass4

What a freaking joke, he gets a fine and no penalty on the play? That's how pathetic the reffing is this year. How can the officials look at themselves or the league as a whole for that matter.

On a side note, Ray out for six weeks with a shoulder injury.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:45 PM
aleshemsky83

Wow Chris Williams a free agent id like to see him in the nfl

Old
08-29-2013, 11:36 PM
HotToddy

Quote:
Horribly overrated here..

Old
08-29-2013, 11:37 PM
HotToddy

Brian Williams cut is a good thing

No idea how good this non-import Hinds kid at DB but here's hoping he is an upgrade

Interesting that they brought in a DE

Old
08-30-2013, 08:21 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
Freaking hilarious. The league fines Weldon Brown for an illegal hit to the head of Mike Reilly, but there is no penalty during the game. Go figure. Take a bow, you clowns.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Football/C.../21085576.html
Would've preferred that they just drop the ball and not fine him altogether?

Old
08-30-2013, 10:20 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Would've preferred that they just drop the ball and not fine him altogether?

Of course not, don't be silly. But you have to admit, it does make them look bush league after the fact. Now, if they came out and said " we messed up the call on the field and apologize to the fans and the Eskimos", that might carry a bit more weight with me in addition to a fine. The latest in a string of bad reffing.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:22 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotToddy View Post
Brian Williams cut is a good thing

No idea how good this non-import Hinds kid at DB but here's hoping he is an upgrade

Interesting that they brought in a DE
Agreed on Williams, he was useless, but I'm getting sick of Marshalls "sit back and give them a 10 yard cushion" as well. Makes a mediocre defensive back like Williams look really bad.

As for the DE, I think those guys need a push. After all the pre-season press about how dominant they were going to be, I think they started to believe it. The need a kick in the arse.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:24 AM
joestevens29

Quote:
Of course not, don't be silly. But you have to admit, it does make them look bush league after the fact. The latest in a string of bad reffing.
It happens in every sport all the time, so no I don't think it's bush league. How many headshots happen in hockey that don't have a penalty, but result in suspension or fine?

The only thing I'd be questioning is the guy at the command center and why he didn't know the rule of being able to overturn the play.

Old
08-30-2013, 11:12 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
It happens in every sport all the time, so no I don't think it's bush league. How many headshots happen in hockey that don't have a penalty, but result in suspension or fine?

The only thing I'd be questioning is the guy at the command center and why he didn't know the rule of being able to overturn the play.
The guys in the command centre are an indirect part of the officiating team. And CFL reffing is bush league.

Old
08-30-2013, 11:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

Its a QB, the league has a stated missive to crack down on any and all fouls on a QB in order to protect the QB. Even the most innocuous things have been called. So Reilly has the ball, all eyes are on him, its imperative that one official is eyeing the QB (otherwise how do you comply with the league missive) especially when he possesses the ball. Weldon comes in blindside(how can any official not see that one coming and lookout) and delivers a textbook headshot which is EXACTLY the type of thing the CFL has wanted to eliminate especially as it pertains to QB's being the victim.

If you're a CFL official I can't even explain how they wouldn't (at least one of them) be looking directly at the QB, god forbid if they were looking and somehow missed it.

It was an absolute joke of a non call. Of the three blind mice variety where you wonder if they're checking out the cheerleaders instead..

Old
08-30-2013, 12:12 PM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Its a QB, the league has a stated missive to crack down on any and all fouls on a QB in order to protect the QB. Even the most innocuous things have been called. So Reilly has the ball, all eyes are on him, its imperative that one official is eyeing the QB (otherwise how do you comply with the league missive) especially when he possesses the ball. Weldon comes in blindside(how can any official not see that one coming and lookout) and delivers a textbook headshot which is EXACTLY the type of thing the CFL has wanted to eliminate especially as it pertains to QB's being the victim.

If you're a CFL official I can't even explain how they wouldn't (at least one of them) be looking directly at the QB, god forbid if they were looking and somehow missed it.

It was an absolute joke of a non call. Of the three blind mice variety where you wonder if they're checking out the cheerleaders instead..

Not to mention having a direct effect on the outcome of the game. A 3 point spread at the time, the ball would have moved into Rider territory with about a minute to go. I think the chances of it being tied and going to OT at the very least would have been pretty good at that point. I know a lot of the Eskimos were very upset about the non-call. If this was one of a very few bad calls this year, it could be looked as a one off, but it seems it is ongoing and a real problem.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:16 PM
Red Deer Rebel

Quote:
Of course not, don't be silly. But you have to admit, it does make them look bush league after the fact. Now, if they came out and said " we messed up the call on the field and apologize to the fans and the Eskimos", that might carry a bit more weight with me in addition to a fine. The latest in a string of bad reffing.
On a Saskatchewan radio show, Tom Higgins did state that the review officials completely messed up the call, that the fumble should have been overturned, and the ball given back to the Eskimos.

So, there is some accountability there.

What is more embarrassing is a website like riderfans.com, where the large majority don't know the rules, thinks this was a clean play, and is starting a collection to pay off Weldon Brown's fine.

Riderfans.com is the calgarypuck of football ...

Old
08-30-2013, 01:05 PM
Arpeggio

Didn't Chris Williams hold out because he wants to go to the NFL? One would think he'd sign somewhere over there rather than with another team in the CFL, assuming he had reason to believe there was interest from the NFL.

Closed Thread