HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

2013-2014 CHL/NCAA/Euro Prospects thread

Closed Thread

Old
08-25-2013, 11:49 AM
S Bah

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagged View Post
This would be the right way to go with Rajala. Then follow his development also in international games and every now and then invite him to prospect camps / development camps to see where he's at. And if he becomes a top 6 player for team Finland on international level, he could be signed to one way deal quite safely. But the possibility for him to really pan out is quite slim, so if you are tight in contracts, you should pass. But the potential is there but somewhere deep. He's actually the one who took U18-WJC goal scoring record away from Ovechkin with 10 goals + 9 assists, 19 points in 6 games played. He showed that he can score if he has a playmaking center capable of quick passing (Minnesota's Granlund at that tournament).

On another note, according to some finnish reports Artturi Lehkonen got hit by two nasty looking hits yesterday against a KHL team in an European Trophy game. But good news is he continued play and despite being quite invisible had two scoring chances in the end, but this time it didn't go in.
I agree that signing Rajala to gain his rights, would be the way to go. The Habs aren't in a position to spare a contract, with 49 out of 50 already filled. Barring a trade that isn't in the winds as far as I know. Having so many smaller prospects in the system is worrisome and anytime the thought of trades comes to mind, so does PWF's to afford protection for them.

To that point on the Trade Thread, I've suggested Tom Wilson from Washington, another PWF that comes to mind is Zach Budish from Nashville. They are both RW's with huge promise to become the next big PWF, but the price tags on players of their ilk is Huge also.

The best way is through wise drafting and patience in developing these prospects, and Bergevin has shown the resolve as GM to acquire some very promising ones. Another player that has my interest is Defenceman Dylan McIlrath, a great upcoming defensive defenceman to complement Tinordi on our blueline. Here again the price would be high, Glen Sather hasn't been a GM that ever gets fleeced, so drafting is the only alternative I see for the Habs.

Until Timmins can be afforded the luxury of having two or three 1st round picks, like Buffalo, Calgary or Columbus last year. It appears possible the Habs may be in a position to acquire that type of drafting power this season with all of the UFA's they will have at the trade deadline this year. Well I can dream there is no doubt about that and like every season there are some really good PWF's and big Dmen available again.

These players are what the Habs need to bring them over the Top, I just hope when the Habs draft this year at least one of the needs get filled with an elite choice. Aaron Ekblad or Nick Ritchie and possibly Nick Ehlers the soon to be superstar from Halifax Mooseheads, last season it was Samuel Morin but he didn't remain a secret for long.

How I wish the Habs trade for some 1st round picks and load up for the near future's Dynasty, Go Bergevin Go! I know patience damn.

Old
08-25-2013, 01:25 PM
ChoseLa

vCash: 500
If we were to claim Rajala we'd have to offer him a contract and play him in the NHL or else he'd have to go trough waivers in every other scenarios. Right?

Old
08-25-2013, 02:27 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoseLa View Post
If we were to claim Rajala we'd have to offer him a contract and play him in the NHL or else he'd have to go trough waivers in every other scenarios. Right?
No, he could go off to Europe and we could suspend him while maintaining his rights I believe.

Old
08-25-2013, 03:10 PM
HABitual Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I agree that signing Rajala to gain his rights, would be the way to go. The Habs aren't in a position to spare a contract, with 49 out of 50 already filled.
I think your count of contracts is way off. Collberg,Hudon,Bozon and McCarron have slide contracts so the total is actually 45.

Old
08-26-2013, 07:49 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by HABitual Fan View Post
I think your count of contracts is way off. Collberg,Hudon,Bozon and McCarron have slide contracts so the total is actually 45.
Well then the Habs can still add Hinds or Boudens and have room for Rajala. I really want Louick Marcotte and Jack Nevins too Santa.

Old
08-26-2013, 08:02 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Bah View Post
I agree that signing Rajala to gain his rights, would be the way to go. The Habs aren't in a position to spare a contract, with 49 out of 50 already filled. Barring a trade that isn't in the winds as far as I know. Having so many smaller prospects in the system is worrisome and anytime the thought of trades comes to mind, so does PWF's to afford protection for them.

To that point on the Trade Thread, I've suggested Tom Wilson from Washington, another PWF that comes to mind is Zach Budish from Nashville. They are both RW's with huge promise to become the next big PWF, but the price tags on players of their ilk is Huge also.

The best way is through wise drafting and patience in developing these prospects, and Bergevin has shown the resolve as GM to acquire some very promising ones. Another player that has my interest is Defenceman Dylan McIlrath, a great upcoming defensive defenceman to complement Tinordi on our blueline. Here again the price would be high, Glen Sather hasn't been a GM that ever gets fleeced, so drafting is the only alternative I see for the Habs.

Until Timmins can be afforded the luxury of having two or three 1st round picks, like Buffalo, Calgary or Columbus last year. It appears possible the Habs may be in a position to acquire that type of drafting power this season with all of the UFA's they will have at the trade deadline this year. Well I can dream there is no doubt about that and like every season there are some really good PWF's and big Dmen available again.

These players are what the Habs need to bring them over the Top, I just hope when the Habs draft this year at least one of the needs get filled with an elite choice. Aaron Ekblad or Nick Ritchie and possibly Nick Ehlers the soon to be superstar from Halifax Mooseheads, last season it was Samuel Morin but he didn't remain a secret for long.

How I wish the Habs trade for some 1st round picks and load up for the near future's Dynasty, Go Bergevin Go! I know patience damn.
I've seen you saying this multiple times here on this board, why do you keep repeating the same thing that comes from a fantasy world? The Habs don't absolutely need another elite choice.
Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Collberg, McCarron (we'll see about the last two), Subban, Beaulieu and Tinordi are coming. You want another elite choice? Say byebye to one of them. I think we already have a great prospect pool and another elite player would cost too much.

Except if we suck all year long...

Old
08-26-2013, 08:11 AM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
I've seen you saying this multiple times here on this board, why do you keep repeating the same thing that comes from a fantasy world? The Habs don't absolutely need another elite choice.
Pacioretty, Eller, Galchenyuk, Collberg, McCarron (we'll see about the last two), Subban, Beaulieu and Tinordi are coming. You want another elite choice? Say byebye to one of them. I think we already have a great prospect pool and another elite player would cost too much.

Except if we suck all year long...
Instead of Ekblad, I'd accept Haydn Fleury or Carl Neill is that better?

Old
08-28-2013, 09:28 PM
Scotianhab

Reading the Erie Otters board and there is speculation that Crisp might be getting traded to Sudbury.

Old
08-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Chris Cutter
BELIEVE IN DOUGLAS

Is there any OHL fan that could give us some info on the Wolves? Are they supposed to have a good team this season?

Old
08-28-2013, 10:15 PM
LeHaboholique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Is there any OHL fan that could give us some info on the Wolves? Are they supposed to have a good team this season?
Stortini is an Alumni, so basically they are the "No-fight-Hug" champs.

They I believe are a wild card, as long as I've watched they have not been the best. I wouldn't waste the 20$ to go watch The Gens play em.

Old
08-29-2013, 12:15 AM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Decent group of forwards on Sudbury. Not sure about their defence or goalies. He'd be going much further with Erie who will start to contend.

Old
08-29-2013, 10:25 AM
Tim Wallach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Cutter View Post
Sudbury's new head coach is the much-maligned former assistant coach in Kitchener, Paul Fixter. I wouldn't hold high hopes for the Wolves as a result. They have long been a team with questionable ownership and management but some decent on-ice pieces.

With the veterans returning, Sudbury should be a contender in the East. But I wouldn't think Fixter is the best option for Crisp's development. I guess the one positive is Fixter likes to over-play veterans.

Old
08-30-2013, 02:17 AM
S Bah

I know my pre-occupation with PWF's must be annoying at times, so let's get on with the pain. Connor Chatham is next on the list behind Nick Ritchie both OHLers and wingers that fit the Habs mold of tough talented PWF's. Chatham is Plymouth Whalers next biggie for the draft, I wonder if Victor Crus-Rydberg and Matt Mistele will be his linemates?

Last edited by S Bah: 08-30-2013 at 03:23 AM.
Old
08-30-2013, 05:34 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Can a mod remove Danny Kristo's name in the list of Montreal prospects in the Notices at the top of the page please.....hurts me everytime so if it's your goal....it's working....

Old
08-30-2013, 07:45 AM
Lars Mon Amour
Mon beau Lars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Can a mod remove Danny Kristo's name in the list of Montreal prospects in the Notices at the top of the page please.....hurts me everytime so if it's your goal....it's working....
Hide it like I did a couple months ago?

Old
08-30-2013, 10:52 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mover View Post
Hide it like I did a couple months ago?
I could but in the end, the guys that make the effort to put it up there could also still see it without the names that don't belong there.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:57 AM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Got no control over it

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
08-30-2013, 11:00 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Got no control over it
You don't? Who does? Is there actually somebody higher than you ?

It's OK. If you guys can't fix it, I'll hide it, just that I thought it could be easily fixed. If not, don't put any effort in it.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

I just wish Bergevin wakes up, realize that he's not in the past, and put a rookie team in place to play in a tournament. Most teams do it....why not us. We have the guys to play in that tournament. Could even invite a little more players for those tournaments to see what they could be made of. Really thought it was a Gainey-Gauthier decision....seems that Bergevin continue the "tradition"....Don't agree on a fan perspective. But even on an organization perspective...it's not like there's only 3 or 4 teams participating throughout the league.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:33 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
I just wish Bergevin wakes up, realize that he's not in the past, and put a rookie team in place to play in a tournament. Most teams do it....why not us. We have the guys to play in that tournament. Could even invite a little more players for those tournaments to see what they could be made of. Really thought it was a Gainey-Gauthier decision....seems that Bergevin continue the "tradition"....Don't agree on a fan perspective. But even on an organization perspective...it's not like there's only 3 or 4 teams participating throughout the league.
I would rather see them work with the young kids they play a meaningless tournament.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:35 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I would rather see them work with the young kids they play a meaningless tournament.
Or have both? A rookie camp separated with a 3-4 days of practices and a tournament?

Old
08-30-2013, 01:43 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Or have both? A rookie camp separated with a 3-4 days of practices and a tournament?
I wouldn't do it, no need to risk injury playing against the leafs AHL goons. As a fan I would be all for it to watch, but for management I think it's the right decision not to do it. I would much rather see the coaching staff working closely with the young guns on different things, now that we have former NHLers in Brezzy etc.. working with these kids I think they can benefit more from working on specific things then a mini tournament.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:46 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
I wouldn't do it, no need to risk injury playing against the leafs AHL goons. As a fan I would be all for it to watch, but for management I think it's the right decision not to do it. I would much rather see the coaching staff working closely with the young guns on different things, now that we have former NHLers in Brezzy etc.. working with these kids I think they can benefit more from working on specific things then a mini tournament.
Seems to me that the Leafs dictated that and I find it sad really. Boston will be playing that tournament and they did invited a couple of scrappers, including a kid I always liked in Villemaire. So I understand, no need to turn it into a boxing tournament, yet, there are other fundamentals you can see through this kind of tournament. But I guess I do speak more as a fan right now. Yet, putting myself in a managerial position, I'd love to see what those kids could do in a game situation. Not during a development camp but a rookie camp? I'd do it.....but I guess it's fine if they don't. I'd personnally use the development camp to practice the fundamentals, and have the rookie camp to see them being applied in game situations.

And as I mentioned on the rookie camp roster thread, you probably can discover more guys like Boudens and his kind in those tournaments as you really can't assess their game in development or even rookie camps.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 08-30-2013 at 01:51 PM.
Old
08-30-2013, 04:06 PM
ChoseLa

Before last season Bergevin was aked about that and he said he'd look into it, since Chicago used to do it. Maybe he came to the conclusion that it isn't the way to go.

Old
08-30-2013, 07:46 PM
EveryDay

Anybody know if Bozon is playing tonight?

Closed Thread