HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Offseason: Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2013, 12:42 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
As I catch up on things I've missed, last night I watched There Will be Blood. Great movie, definitely one of the best acting performances I've ever seen from Daniel Day-Lewis.
You win my movie suggestion for this weekend. Will report back after seeing it!

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
Old
08-30-2013, 12:44 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Haven't heard anyone mention Hell On Wheels yet........I have watched it from the start and really enjoy it. Unfortunately it looks like it might be on it's last legs though as it was bumped to the Saturday night spot as Low Winter Sun took it's Sunday night slot

Old
08-30-2013, 12:46 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
As I catch up on things I've missed, last night I watched There Will be Blood. Great movie, definitely one of the best acting performances I've ever seen from Daniel Day-Lewis.
"I drink your milkshake!"

Awesome performance by DDL........right up there with Bill "The Butcher" Cutting

Old
08-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Andy

Quote:
I'll check it out. Hopefully it won't leave me walking away feeling depressed and existential.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:55 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
"I drink your milkshake!"

Awesome performance by DDL........right up there with Bill "The Butcher" Cutting
That scene is so awesome I almost did a standing ovation from my den. When great acting meets great writing. I will definitely watch that one again.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:56 PM
Andy

I made a list of movies I want to see that I haven't. Note sure which ones to start with, but this is where I'm at

-The Hunt for Red October
-Running Scared
-The Deer Hunter
-Apocalypse Now
-Sin City
-V for Vendetta
-End of Watch
-the hobbit
-Taxi Driver
-mad max
-Gattica
-Brazil
-there will be blood (thanks to agnostic)

Keep in mind that I'd rather not watch existential, depressing films. My preferences go in the order of Crime Thriller, Thriller, Action-adventure, Sci-Fi (non horror).

Last edited by Andy: 08-30-2013 at 01:02 PM.
Old
08-30-2013, 01:02 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Canada's Mod

Actually, can anyone recommend any real, atmospheric horror?

Has anyone ever seen the call of cthulhu?

Old
08-30-2013, 01:04 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I made a list of movies I want to see that I haven't. Note sure which ones to start with, but this is where I'm at

-Running Scared
-The Deer Hunter
-Apocalypse Now
-Sin City
-V for Vendetta
-the hobbit
-Taxi Driver
-mad max
-Gattica
-Brazil

Keep in mind that I'd rather not watch existential, depressing films. My preferences go in the order of Crime Thriller, Thriller, Action-adventure, Sci-Fi (non horror).
can't go wrong with Deer hunter, apocalypse now (redux), sin city, taxi driver, there will be blood (i would add 'Boogie nights' if you want to see more from that director, don't watch his 'Magnolia' if you want to go into permanent depression lol), brazil obviously too great flick. good list.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
uiCk
GrEmelins

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post

Something like The Thing? Shinning?

Watched The Chruch http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094860/ recently, was entertaining, italian flick though.
Also, dunno if it's atmospheric, but Candyman? ^^ People under the stairs also a fav of mine http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0105121/?ref_=sr_1

Old
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
Andy

Forgot to add Leon the Professional to the list

Old
08-30-2013, 01:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
can't go wrong with Deer hunter, apocalypse now (redux), sin city, taxi driver, there will be blood (i would add 'Boogie nights' if you want to see more from that director, don't watch his 'Magnolia' if you want to go into permanent depression lol), brazil obviously too great flick. good list.
Thanks, I'll add Boogie Nights to my list

Old
08-30-2013, 01:13 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

-Running Scared
-The Deer Hunter
-Apocalypse Now
-Sin City
-V for Vendetta
-the hobbit
-Taxi Driver
-mad max
-Gattica
-Brazil

From what you have described your preferences to be I would expect that you may not enjoy Apocalypse Now, Taxi Driver, and The Deer Hunter, as all three are favourites of mine but can definitely be slow moving and depressing for some.

I suspect you might love Sin City however.....

If you do happen to like Taxi Driver and The Deer Hunter then I would definitely recommend Mean Streets

If you don't mind subtitles then I would strongly recommend Tell No One. It is a great thriller with an incredible plot. It is strangely enough a French adaptation of an American best selling novel by Harlan Coben. Miramax has bought the rights in hopes of remaking an English version but the French one is outstanding and is a must see for fans of the thriller genre.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Talik Sanis

Quote:

The Howard Philips Lovecraft Historical Society's second film, The Whisperer in Darkness, is superior, despite its ill-advised deviations from the original story. I think that the writers were trying to make it more accessible and interesting for a wider audience, but really just upset the narrative's overall direction and tone. There are some genuinely unsettling moments, but when I saw it at the Fantasia Film Festival most of the audience seemed to find them more amusing than anything else. The same was true of The Call of Cthulhu when I saw it with some friends.

Neither are what I would call very professional works, though they do make a valiant effort to appear like period pieces, and, unless you're a Lovecraft devotee, I'm not sure that I would recommend either. They aren't really "atmospheric" horror, and don't really get at the heart of Lovecraftian terror.

I feel bad about advising against seeing them, as I found them both quite enjoyable, but finding a film enjoyable and thinking that it is good are two very different things. I was just the right audience for them because of my affection for Lovecraft, despite their departures from the source texts.

Last edited by Talik Sanis: 08-30-2013 at 01:24 PM.
Old
08-30-2013, 01:17 PM
habamillions

Quote:

-Running Scared
-The Deer Hunter
-Apocalypse Now
-Sin City
-V for Vendetta
-End of Watch
-the hobbit
-Taxi Driver
-mad max
-Gattica
-Brazil

deer hunter and hunt for red October is good. but u need to have time cause they are 3 hrs each

Old
08-30-2013, 01:21 PM
Andy

Thanks guys for the suggestions. I don't mind slow pacing movies, hopefully they are not overly depressing. For instance, I loved Momento even though at times you can of feel bad for Guy Pearce's character.

Talik Sanis, I definitely don't mind subtitles, I'll add that movie to my list.

Sounds like I'll start with one of Deer Hunter/Apocalypse now, then move into Sin City or the Hunt for Red October.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:22 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habamillions View Post
deer hunter and hunt for red October is good. but u need to have time cause they are 3 hrs each
oh, I have time. I'm doing grad school in Ottawa, it gets lonely and boring fast...don't know if I should lol or cry at that.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:24 PM
peate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Haven't heard anyone mention Hell On Wheels yet........I have watched it from the start and really enjoy it. Unfortunately it looks like it might be on it's last legs though as it was bumped to the Saturday night spot as Low Winter Sun took it's Sunday night slot
See post 767. I agree it's a good show, but not sure where it's going now. I like Robin McLeavy's role.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:38 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Some of my favorites in the thriller/detective kind:

Blade Runner. (anybody doesn't know that movie still??)
The Usual Suspect.
Dark City.
Following. (that's a brainiac crime novel)

Old
08-30-2013, 01:45 PM
Saintpatrick

Anyone else totally hooked on Breaking bad? I look forward to that show every week just sad that it's ending its such an amazing show.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:52 PM
habsfanatics

Quote:
oh, I have time. I'm doing grad school in Ottawa, it gets lonely and boring fast...don't know if I should lol or cry at that.
Crimson Tide was better than the hunt for red october imo. Don't know if you seen it, but if not, check it out.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:58 PM
vokiel
#NoTradesWithEDM

Did see Elysium on Tuesday. That was not very impressive TBH. Entertaining yeah, but the story and all could just fit in a paragraph of less than say... 5 sentences? Maybe a little more...

Old
08-30-2013, 02:13 PM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
So what you're telling us is that you've mastered time travel and have transported yourself back to the '90's.

My advice. Buy Apple Stock.
ha! I should've mentioned that I get 5 for a dollar.

Quote:
Just watched The Big Lebowski for the first time . Greatest Character Ever.
John Goodman is just godly in that one.

Quote:
One of the best performances ever. I'm partial to old school acting and really only him and Rourke live up to the old school dudes imo.

Quote:

-Running Scared
-The Deer Hunter
-Apocalypse Now
-Sin City
-V for Vendetta
-End of Watch
-the hobbit
-Taxi Driver
-mad max
-Gattica
-Brazil

Tons of good titles on there. A few I haven't seen that I need to get on. Some might depress you but none too bad.

Quote:

Does atmospheric mean more psychological than gore I guess?

Rosemary's Baby might be a good one. Haven't seen it in years. Might just be more a well crafted movie than genuinely creepy because of it's age but still probably worth seeing. I want to get back into horror movies again.

I wanna check out any movie with ocotpus face in it! I'm a add that one to the list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
I had my father's best friend call me about 5 or 6 times telling me he was going to kill himself while watching Magnolia. Made a weird movie even weirder.

I called my dad all worried and he was just like, 'oh he always says that'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talik Sanis View Post
The Howard Philips Lovecraft Historical Society's second film, The Whisperer in Darkness, is superior, despite its ill-advised deviations from the original story. I think that the writers were trying to make it more accessible and interesting for a wider audience, but really just upset the narrative's overall direction and tone. There are some genuinely unsettling moments, but when I saw it at the Fantasia Film Festival most of the audience seemed to find them more amusing than anything else. The same was true of The Call of Cthulhu when I saw it with some friends.

Neither are what I would call very professional works, though they do make a valiant effort to appear like period pieces, and, unless you're a Lovecraft devotee, I'm not sure that I would recommend either. They aren't really "atmospheric" horror, and don't really get at the heart of Lovecraftian terror.

I feel bad about advising against seeing them, as I found them both quite enjoyable, but finding a film enjoyable and thinking that it is good are two very different things. I was just the right audience for them because of my affection for Lovecraft, despite their departures from the source texts.
where's a good place to start reading Lovecraft? and I'm totally fine with movies that aren't true to the source material as long as they're good or enjoyable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vokiel View Post
Some of my favorites in the thriller/detective kind:

Blade Runner. (anybody doesn't know that movie still??)
The Usual Suspect.
Dark City.
Following. (that's a brainiac crime novel)
I can't believe you're the first one to mention Blade Runner! Classic classic. Music, special effects, mood. Unparalleled.

I want to watch Dark City again. Haven't watched it since it first came out. Never heard of Following, sounds cool. Any other detective movies you know are good, I'd like to hear them.

Old
08-30-2013, 02:17 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Crimson Tide was better than the hunt for red october imo. Don't know if you seen it, but if not, check it out.
Dunno, I always saw Crimson as a lesser copy of October so maybe that's why I don't like it as much.

The only odd thing about October is the casting - A Scottish actor playing a Russian captain. Hmm.

Old
08-30-2013, 03:23 PM
Talik Sanis

Quote:
Originally Posted by dackelljuneaubulis02 View Post

where's a good place to start reading Lovecraft? and I'm totally fine with movies that aren't true to the source material as long as they're good or enjoyable.
It depends on the kind of horror fiction to which you are partial. His early works are macabre in the style of Poe. From those, "The Rats in the Walls" is among the best. The second group of Lovecraft's tales is essentially fantasy, influenced by Lord Dunsany, an Irish author. These stories are generally counted as Lovecraft's weakest, but at the end of his Dunsanian period, he wrote "The Silver Key," which is quite popular.

After that, he began to merge science fiction and horror with his "great works." "The Colour out of Space," "The Dunwich Horror," and "The Call of Cthulhu" are landmarks of the period, but most of his tales after 1927 are home runs. You might want to start with one out of the first two of these, and then move on to "The Call of Cthulhu" and "The Shadow Over Innsmouth."

There are several major problems with reading Lovecraft. For instance, you might feel a sense of disorientation at first as you read over the names of texts and entities about which you know nothing. These things are established in the earlier works, but later tales are generally so much more interesting and enticing to new readers that it is easier to get into Lovecraft by starting with them. However, Lovecraft is certainly not for everyone. Also, be prepared for Lovecraft's intense racism. It permeates everything.

By the way, in case you didn't know, all of his major works can be found for free online quite easily.

Old
08-30-2013, 03:44 PM
poetryinmotion

Nothing beats environmental horror like Cube.

On a related note I like Cabin in the Woods too but thats one of those flics where u wanna commit suicide after seeing.

Closed Thread