HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2013, 07:57 AM
pc_md

vCash: 500
If the same Brunet had interviewed the same scout saying how BigMac reminded him of Lucic, nobody on this board would even dare call the quote stupid.

Double standards still prevail on hfboards. We want to hear only the good stuff about our prospects.

Brunet, in his post draft article, also called BigMac a future second or third line forward, the kind of big player the Habs desperately needed... Not exactly the kind of comment he would pass if he did not like the pick...

Oh and by the way, before you call me a hater, I like the McCarron's pick... It's just the way some of you destroy an honnest journalist doing his job that I have a hard time with.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:14 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pc_md View Post
If the same Brunet had interviewed the same scout saying how BigMac reminded him of Lucic, nobody on this board would even dare call the quote stupid.

Double standards still prevail on hfboards. We want to hear only the good stuff about our prospects.

Brunet, in his post draft article, also called BigMac a future second or third line forward, the kind of big player the Habs desperately needed... Not exactly the kind of comment he would pass if he did not like the pick...

Oh and by the way, before you call me a hater, I like the McCarron's pick... It's just the way some of you destroy an honnest journalist doing his job that I have a hard time with.
Yes I would and for the same freakin reason. Lucic wasn't Lucic at 18. And personnally, I'm not destroying a journalist who report the news, I'm destroying the scout's quote who is just plain stupid AT THIS TIME, even if he ends up right in the future. 'Cause, again, Lucic wasn't Lucic at 18. It's how he developed that he became Lucic. So a fair comparison would be to wait till he shows his learning curve. And it's even a worst comparison when at his age, we still have NO IDEA of McCarron's fighting ability when at the same time Lucic was destroying everybody around him that were his age AND older. It's stupid 'cause it's the easiest comparison to make for people who don't really have the greatest clue about the game. My wife who doesn't follow hockey that much said the same thing when we drafted him...."Wow....he's big....I wonder if he'll be able to be Lucic." How many Lucic's in this league right now? So chances are, McCarron won't be Lucic. Yes, he CLEARLY could never pan out as a top 6 player. Could just becomes a top 9, yet, still much needed type of player like you said. But to this day, we do not know. Everything is in the development....just like we saw with Lucic.

Personnally, I would NOT have picked McCarron in the 1st round. With Hartman, Dauphin, Erne, Compher, Zykov and Hagg still available, no way was McCarron in my wishlist. But I understand the move. I'm okay with it. But these insane comparisons needs to stop. And when it comes from professionnals like that scout, that's where sometimes I say that some of those guys are just like us....Thank god others are much more informed. And again, don't get me wrong, I'm not even suggesting he's wrong in what the end result could end up being. Might very well be. Geez, it could be exactly it. But just bringing it is plain wrong. And was he REALLY wondering if Mike's performance was really different because of the big ice? Really? Good eye scout. Oh and he also needs to improve his skating....No ****.

By the way, you are wrong....we don't have to only hear good things. I was called up for being way too harsh on Thrower this year. Everybody saw the year he had. Only thing we wish is for him to get on track again. And others like that. No problem with being negative but be at least fair.

Old
08-29-2013, 09:30 PM
pc_md

Quote:
Yes I would and for the same freakin reason. Lucic wasn't Lucic at 18. And personnally, I'm not destroying a journalist who report the news, I'm destroying the scout's quote who is just plain stupid AT THIS TIME, even if he ends up right in the future
Let me just say that my last comment was not specifically directed at you but at the large number of posters who seem to react the same way they always do. You seemed to take it personnally. Well, you should not

Quote:
By the way, you are wrong....we don't have to only hear good things. I was called up for being way too harsh on Thrower this year. Everybody saw the year he had. Only thing we wish is for him to get on track again. And others like that. No problem with being negative but be at least fair.
Well you just proved my point. Last season, Thrower was probably the player who had the worst/most disappointing year among our prospects. Half our prospect won't even make it to the NHL and you got called up for being too harsh on the prospect who had the worst/most disappointing year... Wow. That says a lot about what we are aloud to write.

And for the record, for every negative comment on Thrower on the prospect thread, there are 2 or 3 posters defending him. Yep, even the guy who had the worst year. You can go check it out if you don't believe me.

Optimism is the new realism.

Old
08-30-2013, 05:33 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Let me just say that my last comment was not specifically directed at you but at the large number of posters who seem to react the same way they always do. You seemed to take it personnally. Well, you should not
People should be used by my writing style now, sometimes I do take it personal but other times I'm just so in a subject that it will look like it. I just really hated that scout quote who I think was really stupid. Not calling him stupid, don't know him. Not calling scouts in general stupid, not into generalization. But THAT quote totally was.

Quote:
Well you just proved my point. Last season, Thrower was probably the player who had the worst/most disappointing year among our prospects. Half our prospect won't even make it to the NHL and you got called up for being too harsh on the prospect who had the worst/most disappointing year... Wow. That says a lot about what we are aloud to write.

And for the record, for every negative comment on Thrower on the prospect thread, there are 2 or 3 posters defending him. Yep, even the guy who had the worst year. You can go check it out if you don't believe me.

It's okay to defend any player with everything else but "Well he's a Habs prospect so we should stop bashing him". I know that it did in fact happen by one poster who happened to be, if I remember, a big Blades fan. Sometimes, being a fan win over logic, and we are ALL guilty of that, me included. That's what we are....fans. Not sure we should stop being it. But true that we would need to be more realistic. Yet, your realizm might probably be seen as pessimism...so it's all subjective. Thrower had a really really bad season. But what if he explodes this year, has a great development from now on and so on? Having a bad season last year is just that....a bad season. And my point was that if he CONTINUES regressing, he won't be signed.....but it means just what it means. Having a bad season doesn't mean he's done as a prospect.

Old
08-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Yes I would and for the same freakin reason. Lucic wasn't Lucic at 18. And personnally, I'm not destroying a journalist who report the news, I'm destroying the scout's quote who is just plain stupid AT THIS TIME, even if he ends up right in the future. 'Cause, again, Lucic wasn't Lucic at 18. It's how he developed that he became Lucic. So a fair comparison would be to wait till he shows his learning curve. And it's even a worst comparison when at his age, we still have NO IDEA of McCarron's fighting ability when at the same time Lucic was destroying everybody around him that were his age AND older. It's stupid 'cause it's the easiest comparison to make for people who don't really have the greatest clue about the game. My wife who doesn't follow hockey that much said the same thing when we drafted him...."Wow....he's big....I wonder if he'll be able to be Lucic." How many Lucic's in this league right now? So chances are, McCarron won't be Lucic. Yes, he CLEARLY could never pan out as a top 6 player. Could just becomes a top 9, yet, still much needed type of player like you said. But to this day, we do not know. Everything is in the development....just like we saw with Lucic.

Personnally, I would NOT have picked McCarron in the 1st round. With Hartman, Dauphin, Erne, Compher, Zykov and Hagg still available, no way was McCarron in my wishlist. But I understand the move. I'm okay with it. But these insane comparisons needs to stop. And when it comes from professionnals like that scout, that's where sometimes I say that some of those guys are just like us....Thank god others are much more informed. And again, don't get me wrong, I'm not even suggesting he's wrong in what the end result could end up being. Might very well be. Geez, it could be exactly it. But just bringing it is plain wrong. And was he REALLY wondering if Mike's performance was really different because of the big ice? Really? Good eye scout. Oh and he also needs to improve his skating....No ****.

I didn't know a thing about McCarron but from what I read about him just after he was chosen I would have agreed with you. I doubt that he was even on Timmins's top 20 list. Like most Hab fans I would have preferred someone with a greater tool set. However, I've tried to see it in the best possible light and hope that he develops into someone who might be compared to Lucic. So far what I like about him in addition to his size is his eagerness to improve.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:20 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Fine. I guess i am just preparing myself for a possible dissapointment. Just thought that in the if he does not score he does not have the speed to play an adequate forecheck.
I wouldn't worry about it, he's either going to do good or he's going to struggle or something in between. How he continues to progress over the next 5-7 years will tell the tale. But getting quicker/more explosive would be great for his future.

Quote:

For me, Leblanc was by far the biggest disappointment, as a former 18th overall pick, he was downright terrible. I watched a number of Blades games in the regular season, playoffs and Memorial Cup, and while he had good and bad moments I felt that some where going over board with how bad his season was going. That said in the playoffs he was terrible but so was the entire team as they looked like deer in headlights with no clue what to do. Beyond that, while he clearly had a disappointing season imo it wasn't as bad as some made it out to be. But we'll see how it goes for him next season.

People should always feel they can discuss the good or bad of a prospect, it may not be a popular opinion but as long as it's their own based off actual viewings then they should express it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
I didn't know a thing about McCarron but from what I read about him just after he was chosen I would have agreed with you. I doubt that he was even on Timmins's top 20 list. Like most Hab fans I would have preferred someone with a greater tool set. However, I've tried to see it in the best possible light and hope that he develops into someone who might be compared to Lucic. So far what I like about him in addition to his size is his eagerness to improve.
I think some Hab fans are going to make a big mistake with guys like Tinordi/McCarron in that their silly obsession with fighting and their dreams of having their own Chara/Lucy are going to disappoint them in the future. In the case of McCarron I think he's going to be a powerforward that takes the body and goes to the net hard all the time. It's his natural size and strength but also some decent hands that imo should lead him to the NHL, not trying to be the next Lucy.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:51 PM
Forsead

What I have a hard time with this quote from the scout in Brunet article is the fact that the guy is saying that McCarron need to improve his skating while everybody involved in hockey are saying that he's a good skater especially for his size. This doesn't add up.

Old
08-30-2013, 12:58 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
What I have a hard time with this quote from the scout in Brunet article is the fact that the guy is saying that McCarron need to improve his skating while everybody involved in hockey are saying that he's a good skater especially for his size. This doesn't add up.
His skating is still not NHL caliber. He has a decent stride and should be able to build on the foundation that he has in place but he does lumber out there relative to other players on the ice as was very evident in the recent tournament.

He moves well for a kid of his size and age and this is why you hear positive comments about his skating but he is still a relatively slow player at this point in his development. The good news is that he was a terrible skater at this time last season and if he continues to improve at his current rate, skating will not be any sort of issue for him.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
His skating is still not NHL caliber. He has a decent stride and should be able to build on the foundation that he has in place but he does lumber out there relative to other players on the ice as was very evident in the recent tournament.

He moves well for a kid of his size and age and this is why you hear positive comments about his skating but he is still a relatively slow player at this point in his development. The good news is that he was a terrible skater at this time last season and if he continues to improve at his current rate, skating will not be any sort of issue for him.
I really think people should be patient before really knowing what type of player he will be after a full OHL season it should a lot easier to know his true potential... only thing we know so far is that he as a lot of raw talent... I will personally give him time before im gonna say anything about him in terms of NHL expectations... but for a huge Dude like him I like to be positive. Is gonna have to work hard to impress genie bouchard...

Old
08-30-2013, 01:18 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Being a good skater for his size still doesn't mean he's a great skater or that it's adequate enough to be a NHL'er real soon. But again, you can improve your skating. People who has a slightest idea of what they are talking about remember Lucic's skating in the WHL and CLEARLY knows that it was average to mediocre and that he improved it a lot. It can be done. So he's not terrible byt has ways to go. And frankly, I wouldn't even talk about speed but more about agility. That's what he mostly will have to work on. Doesn't mean nothing if you are a speedy player if everytime a NHL'er decks you, you are unable to get in the right lane based on bad your agility is.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:22 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Well to be fair, the scout was talking about his skating on Olympic ice, which is something he won't have to worry about in the NHL. Just to show how opinions will vary from person to person, during that same tournament that the scout commented on his skating, the play by play was raving about how much his skating improved from last year.

To me for a player his size (he's already a monster on skates for an 18 year old) I find that his skating, while needing improvement, isn't bad. It's something he will need to work on along with getting quicker, but at this point I don't think it will hinder him as long as he can continue to improve over the next several years.

Old
08-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
I really think people should be patient before really knowing what type of player he will be after a full OHL season it should a lot easier to know his true potential... only thing we know so far is that he as a lot of raw talent... I will personally give him time before im gonna say anything about him in terms of NHL expectations... but for a huge Dude like him I like to be positive. Is gonna have to work hard to impress genie bouchard...
I completely agree with you........He is so raw that it is really pointless to try and predict his upside. He made a huge jump in his development this past season and if he does that again this season then we have ourselves a legitimate steal. If he plateaus a little there is still a lot of potential upside........you just never know when/if it will kick in.

Old
08-30-2013, 02:04 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:
Just because someone is a good skater for his size doesn't mean he's a great skater overall, that's what he's getting at I believe

Old
08-30-2013, 02:56 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Just because someone is a good skater for his size doesn't mean he's a great skater overall, that's what he's getting at I believe
When i played hockey people said i was a good chess player for my size. Totally irrelevant i know but, for my size....

Old
08-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

No goals on his 1st shift with London....

If you want to hear it...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/knight..._medium=social

Old
08-30-2013, 06:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Seems to be playing on a line with Rupert and not Domi. Domi who already seems all over the place and just scored Sound isn't the greatest.

Old
08-30-2013, 06:40 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
No goals on his 1st shift with London....

If you want to hear it...

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/knight..._medium=social
That's probably the worst audio feed ever. But thanks anyway!

Old
08-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Big Mac playing with both Ruperts.

Old
08-30-2013, 06:42 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTTP 400 Bad Request View Post
That's probably the worst audio feed ever. But thanks anyway!
Something broke when Domi scored....getting better now but that's not too good for sure.

Old
08-30-2013, 07:42 PM
EveryDay

Quote:
Something broke when Domi scored....getting better now but that's not too good for sure.
Any scoresheet?

Old
08-30-2013, 08:27 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
He just scored. Also fought Latta.

Old
08-30-2013, 08:35 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
He just scored. Also fought Latta.
Did he win?

Old
08-30-2013, 08:38 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Who cares about McCarron when you see that Crispy Cream just scored 6 goals in 2 games....here's the next Lucic...

Old
08-30-2013, 08:39 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Did he win?
You have to freakin hope.....

Old
08-30-2013, 08:51 PM
Vi Nc E x13x

Quote:
Who cares about McCarron when you see that Crispy Cream just scored 6 goals in 2 games....here's the next Lucic...
What a great nickname lol

Closed Thread