HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Michael McCarron Thread - Part II : Bigger, Stronger and Meaner

Closed Thread

Old
08-30-2013, 09:57 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Who cares about McCarron when you see that Crispy Cream just scored 6 goals in 2 games....here's the next Lucic...
Would actually be hilarious if Big Mac busts and Crisp becomes the next Lucic.

Old
08-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
It's Kreme, not cream.

Apparently he fought a 2nd time too.

Ryan Pyette ‏@RyanatLFPress 28m
McCarron trying to get in another one. He's loves-to-fight guy.

Most info I could find about the first fight:

KnightsInsider ‏@KnightsInsider 1h
FIGHT!!!! McCarron and Latta are throwin bombs.

KnightsInsider ‏@KnightsInsider 1h
Way to go McCarron, steepin in to protect Max Domi after Max ran into #Sting G Barrick #OHL #Knights

Old
08-30-2013, 10:09 PM
EveryDay

Is Rupert-Rupert-McCarron the 2nd line in London this year? If yes who's playing with Domi and Horvat?

Old
08-30-2013, 10:11 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Cakes!

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryDay View Post
Is Rupert-Rupert-McCarron the 2nd line in London this year? If yes who's playing with Domi and Horvat?
No. This is just training camp experiments.

The 2nd line is ?-Tierney-Anderson. The LW might be Remi Elie. It could also be overager Alex Broadhurst, Chicago has to decide what to do with him.

Ruperts are on the 3rd.

Plus the Hunters were pretty clear they saw Mac with Domi and Horvat when he signed.

KnightsInsider ‏@KnightsInsider 26m
Michael McCarron: BIG, Loved how he was looking to scrap and stepped in to protect teammates. Smart player, great shot. #Knights

Matt Chalmers ‏@MattallicaOne 26m
@KnightsInsider there were time tonight where he looked like he was barely trying, and was still outplaying Sarnia

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing or just a reflection of how terrible the post-Galchenyuk/Sarault/Boucher/Murphy/Anderson era is going to be in Sarnia.

Last edited by Marc the Habs Fan: 08-30-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old
08-30-2013, 10:16 PM
overlords
Hfboards

crisp > parros

Old
08-30-2013, 11:12 PM
Locks

Quote:
Who cares about McCarron when you see that Crispy Cream just scored 6 goals in 2 games....here's the next Lucic...
Did he really?

Old
08-30-2013, 11:15 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Did he really?
back to back hatties

Old
08-30-2013, 11:16 PM
FlyingKostitsyn

vCash: 827
McCarron is probably thinking ''**** YEAH CHL! I can fight whenever I want now!''

What a brute, exactly what we needed. Go forth and make the world suffer Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords
back to back hatties
But did he fight?

Old
08-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Tyson

Crisp has decent skills. Very intriguing player to watch

Old
08-30-2013, 11:26 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
back to back hatties
intra squad games though, i'm pretty sure.

Old
08-31-2013, 12:26 AM
samsquanch9*

Will we get video of macs fights and goal?

Old
08-31-2013, 12:34 AM
Hugo Sham

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
McCarron is probably thinking ''**** YEAH CHL! I can fight whenever I want now!''

What a brute, exactly what we needed. Go forth and make the world suffer Michael

But did he fight?

Old
08-31-2013, 02:02 AM
Forsead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
His skating is still not NHL caliber. He has a decent stride and should be able to build on the foundation that he has in place but he does lumber out there relative to other players on the ice as was very evident in the recent tournament.

He moves well for a kid of his size and age and this is why you hear positive comments about his skating but he is still a relatively slow player at this point in his development. The good news is that he was a terrible skater at this time last season and if he continues to improve at his current rate, skating will not be any sort of issue for him.
Quote:
Being a good skater for his size still doesn't mean he's a great skater or that it's adequate enough to be a NHL'er real soon. But again, you can improve your skating. People who has a slightest idea of what they are talking about remember Lucic's skating in the WHL and CLEARLY knows that it was average to mediocre and that he improved it a lot. It can be done. So he's not terrible byt has ways to go. And frankly, I wouldn't even talk about speed but more about agility. That's what he mostly will have to work on. Doesn't mean nothing if you are a speedy player if everytime a NHL'er decks you, you are unable to get in the right lane based on bad your agility is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
Well to be fair, the scout was talking about his skating on Olympic ice, which is something he won't have to worry about in the NHL. Just to show how opinions will vary from person to person, during that same tournament that the scout commented on his skating, the play by play was raving about how much his skating improved from last year.

To me for a player his size (he's already a monster on skates for an 18 year old) I find that his skating, while needing improvement, isn't bad. It's something he will need to work on along with getting quicker, but at this point I don't think it will hinder him as long as he can continue to improve over the next several years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
Just because someone is a good skater for his size doesn't mean he's a great skater overall, that's what he's getting at I believe
Well to me a scout putting down a player, because his skating need improvement means that the has a subpar skating relative to others players of his age, if not that doesn't make any sense. This argument would be contrary to what almost everyone have said about McCarron who is said to have a good skating for his age/size and if he has a normal progression will have a good nhl skating level. It's the first time that I've read that skating was still an issue for the guy.

Then again I'm waiting for seeing him by myself playing with the Knights to really have my own opinion on this matter.

Old
08-31-2013, 09:35 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well to me a scout putting down a player, because his skating need improvement means that the has a subpar skating relative to others players of his age, if not that doesn't make any sense. This argument would be contrary to what almost everyone have said about McCarron who is said to have a good skating for his age/size and if he has a normal progression will have a good nhl skating level. It's the first time that I've read that skating was still an issue for the guy.

Then again I'm waiting for seeing him by myself playing with the Knights to really have my own opinion on this matter.
Honestly, as I stated before, that doesn't sound to me like the best of scouts. Was a stupid statement made and him talking about his skating, is really not about comparing players his size but just mentioning a flaw, to which we all realize it still is. When somebody mentions "he skates well for a guy his size", you know that it's a weakness as, if he'd be really skating well....you wouldn't add "for a guy his size". Scout stated the obvious along with other stupid Lucic reference thing.

Which opinion should you trust more? A guy that has seen him a few times on a olympic ice or his coaches, habs guys, Grant, who has combined seen him more than this scout has and while recognize it's a work in progress, mentions it's not as bad as some likes to believe it is? Personnally, after seeing him live, it's not bad. He does need to work on agility though. Like most guys his size....

Old
08-31-2013, 09:45 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locks View Post
Did he really?
Yes, though first game doesn't count....he played with McDavid... 2nd game, didn't seem like he was playing with him. Seems he created other chances as well with some good passes. If you guys want to read the blogs....here you go....Erie with McDavid, Burakowsky, Fox, Brown....that could be an interesting year. Dansk in net...you have to hope he plays to his potential.

http://www.ottershockey.com/article/...ing-camp-day-3

http://www.ottershockey.com/article/...ing-camp-day-4

Old
08-31-2013, 10:28 AM
Grant McCagg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forsead View Post
Well to me a scout putting down a player, because his skating need improvement means that the has a subpar skating relative to others players of his age, if not that doesn't make any sense.
I'm a scout -- I have said several times his skating is fine. I've provided quotes from several scouts in this thread who echo my opinion. Now a western scout anonymously opines that his skating is weak.....he must be right?

Old
08-31-2013, 10:30 AM
Dagistitsyn

Goal / Fight video? Will we ever see it?

Old
08-31-2013, 12:07 PM
WeThreeKings
DJ Nikita

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant McCagg View Post
I'm a scout -- I have said several times his skating is fine. I've provided quotes from several scouts in this thread who echo my opinion. Now a western scout anonymously opines that his skating is weak.....he must be right?
This is the Habs board.
Positive opinion of a player from many professionals: Blind Homerism.
Negative opinion of a player from one dude: Scientific Proof.

Old
08-31-2013, 12:11 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

Awards:
Quote:
Yeah, I'll take your opinion and the opinions of the scouts you've quoted over the one that didn't like what he saw. If nine of ten critics say a movie was great while one said it was cheesy, chances are I'm going to check it out.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
08-31-2013, 01:35 PM
aresknights

McCarron got a couple "firsts" outta the way.
On his goal he was parked out front, showed good hand eye, tapping in his rebound in tight. Gets good position just outside the blue ice and fights to keep position well. He'll score a few in tight this year.
Skating looked OK but as mentioned work to do regarding agility/ mobility but it should get better.
Dumi (Domi ) ran into their tender outta the crease, Latta was on his way over and McC stepped in first. He's gotta learn how to use that length and strength and also how to throw with purpose. Latta isn't a heavy in this league and before Mac Attack gets into it with the big boys he'll need some tutoring. Liked his willingness to step up for teammates thou.
He also tried to get a Sting player to go later ( Sting declined) but it was a player Dipaulo (?) who had taken some liberties earlier. Again like the willingness but others can do that on this squad til he learns.
Love the attitude, going to be solid on top of the G, attacked the puck on the boards in O zone high side ( love when players work for position instead of trying to steal it from back side) seems to know how to protect the puck, goes to the net with purpose.
Still looks a bit awkward ( understandable) gets around OK, didnt see much of a shot.
I don't expect him to play tonight.
As for line combos, I'm not sure he's a fit with Domi 5 on 5. Dale H will slot him in where he fits, and Dale likes to juggle lines looking for matchups n who's hot.
I'd love to see Bo( if returned) , or Tierney at C and Anderson on his other wing. Cycling beasts.

Old
08-31-2013, 01:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by aresknights View Post
McCarron got a couple "firsts" outta the way.
On his goal he was parked out front, showed good hand eye, tapping in his rebound in tight. Gets good position just outside the blue ice and fights to keep position well. He'll score a few in tight this year.
Skating looked OK but as mentioned work to do regarding agility/ mobility but it should get better.
Dumi (Domi ) ran into their tender outta the crease, Latta was on his way over and McC stepped in first. He's gotta learn how to use that length and strength and also how to throw with purpose. Latta isn't a heavy in this league and before Mac Attack gets into it with the big boys he'll need some tutoring. Liked his willingness to step up for teammates thou.
He also tried to get a Sting player to go later ( Sting declined) but it was a player Dipaulo (?) who had taken some liberties earlier. Again like the willingness but others can do that on this squad til he learns.
Love the attitude, going to be solid on top of the G, attacked the puck on the boards in O zone high side ( love when players work for position instead of trying to steal it from back side) seems to know how to protect the puck, goes to the net with purpose.
Still looks a bit awkward ( understandable) gets around OK, didnt see much of a shot.
I don't expect him to play tonight.
As for line combos, I'm not sure he's a fit with Domi 5 on 5. Dale H will slot him in where he fits, and Dale likes to juggle lines looking for matchups n who's hot.
I'd love to see Bo( if returned) , or Tierney at C and Anderson on his other wing. Cycling beasts.
thanks for the report. Imo he'll score a bunch in close as he always seems to be driving hard to the net, at least in the few games I've seen of him so far.

Old
08-31-2013, 02:43 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Grant,

I know that you said he is very likely to make the NHL as a bottom 6 player for sure and has top 6 potential. Can you name any players in the past who were drafted outside the top 15 and you felt equally as strong that they would play in the show someday?

Old
08-31-2013, 03:18 PM
Teufelsdreck

I saw Phil Esposito play not only with the Bruins but also with the Blackhawks and the Rangers. He was a below average skater but a scoring machine. When I saw him with the Blackhawks I thought he was a good player with size but I had no idea he would become a monster with the Bruins (at the time of the trade I thought the Blackhawks had come out at least even). It shows what a naive scout I was! Naturally I look forward to McCarron's improvement in every aspect of his game.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 08-31-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old
08-31-2013, 07:27 PM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Really hope we stop with the fighting Big Mac and concentrate on the hockey player. Much more to work with in that department. I mean, I like Latta, really do, but he's in no way a heavyweight to say the least and Big Mac didn't dominate at all. Big Mac might turn out to be a, let's hope, more consistent, René Bourque. Could take care of his own, but will mostly know as a hockey player. Going out after Lucic is the LAST thing he should be thinking at doing....

Old
08-31-2013, 07:49 PM
aresknights

Quote:
Really hope we stop with the fighting Big Mac and concentrate on the hockey player. Much more to work with in that department. I mean, I like Latta, really do, but he's in no way a heavyweight to say the least and Big Mac didn't dominate at all. Big Mac might turn out to be a, let's hope, more consistent, René Bourque. Could take care of his own, but will mostly know as a hockey player. Going out after Lucic is the LAST thing he should be thinking at doing....
In re to Latta, exactly what I said above. Totally agree.
Let him develop, if he learns to go with the big boyz, fine. But in no way is that all were looking for. It would be a bonus if he learns to fight.
Right now, pick your opponents wisely (see Tinordi vs McGuire) get some tutoring (P Leroux, Sefton, heck even the Rupert's lol and maybe asst C Jeff Paul) and see where it goes.
As I've said before, lets see him develop as a PF first who learns to control the boards, play in the blue ice and hopefully become a top 9 who contributes regularly in a few ways.

Closed Thread