HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Who is part of the solution? Who needs to go? Who needs another chance?

Old
08-30-2013, 11:39 PM
Habsrback

vCash: 500
Who is part of the solution? Who needs to go? Who needs another chance?

The Habs are in Cup contending building mode. MB tells us that in the long run, just making the playoffs won't fly anymore and that the prestigious Montreal Canadians need to return. Playoff under performers will generally have to go. There is no time frame for this as it is just a shopping list to start a process by identifying the spots to upgrade before determining what is available internally (prospects), externally, and future draft needs.

With the Stanley Cup, AND ONLY THIS in mind, which ROSTER players are part of this solution, which ones need to go, and which ones deserve another chance?

For starters:

Part of the solution

Forwards: Galchenyuk, Gallagher, Patch, Eller, Prust, Parros
Defense: Subban, Emelin, Gorges

Need to go:
Forwards: Gionta (size/age), DD (size), Moen (no comment...) Plek (playoff under performer)
Defense: Markov (age, injury prone, playoff under performer), Bouillon (love him but seems done), Diaz (soft, soft, soft)
Goalies: Budaj (need stronger #2 that can log in multiple consecutive games at NHL level)

Deserve another look/chance:
Forwards: White, Bourque, Briere
Defense: Murray, Drewinski
Goalies: Price-can the real Price stand up this year?

Fire away

Habsrback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:42 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Stopped reading at the Plekanec needs to go part..

Rosso Scuderia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:47 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
It's easier to read through if you pretend it's a top 10 stupidest HF-Habsisms count down.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:51 PM
ak90210

Short term, trading Plekanec would kill the team. He should still have 5 good years left as well.

ak90210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:52 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Agree,

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:00 AM
Habsrback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak90210 View Post
Short term, trading Plekanec would kill the team. He should still have 5 good years left as well.
Never said that he has to go in the short term...I said that there were no timeline and that this was it was strictly in the intent of pursuing a Stanley Cup. You won't win a Cup with Plek as a top 6. Just isn't his own shadow in the playoffs.

Old
08-31-2013, 12:07 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsrback View Post
Never said that he has to go in the short term...I said that there were no timeline and that this was it was strictly in the intent of pursuing a Stanley Cup. You won't win a Cup with Plek as a top 6. Just isn't his own shadow in the playoffs.
People stating that Plekanec disappears in the playoffs just don't understand the game.

Plekanec's production in the playoffs drops about 0.03 pt per game compared to his regular season stats. Considering Plekanec's game is more concentrated on the defensive side when the playoffs come, and simply the fact that the games are much more tighter and less goals are scored in the playoffs, it's perfectly normal that his production drops a bit.

Old
08-31-2013, 12:27 AM
CanadiensforLife

Stopped reading at "Montreal CanadiAns".

CanadiensforLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:31 AM
Andy

Hard to tell. Last year was a short season. There are some obvious answers, but at the same time, for others it would be jumping the gun.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:32 AM
Habsrback

Quote:
People stating that Plekanec disappears in the playoffs just don't understand the game.

Plekanec's production in the playoffs drops about 0.03 pt per game compared to his regular season stats. Considering Plekanec's game is more concentrated on the defensive side when the playoffs come, and simply the fact that the games are much more tighter and less goals are scored in the playoffs, it's perfectly normal that his production drops a bit.
I respect your constructive opinion but disagree with you. Do not get me wrong. I like Plek, but top 6 forwards of CONTENDING teams make things happen during the playoffs and don't just retract and backcheck. Your arguments have been served since 5-10 years by Sharks' and Canucks' fans, while these teams have seen their window disappear. Good GM's make the tough decisions and leave the emotions away when they are committed to win. Look at the Bruins' moves since 5 years...

By the way, would the Bruins have Plek as a top 6 centerman...answer the question and this might put some light in your arguments. BTW, Plek's contract is too expensive to keep him as a 3rd center...just in case...

Old
08-31-2013, 12:45 AM
FrontierPsyCHiatrist*
Master Pleks

The solution is keep having the same kind of draft as the last 2 summers and not doing some stupid moves cough desharnais.

This way, we'll become a dynasty.

FrontierPsyCHiatrist* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:49 AM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
I respect your constructive opinion but disagree with you. Do not get me wrong. I like Plek, but top 6 forwards of CONTENDING teams make things happen during the playoffs and don't just retract and backcheck. Your arguments have been served since 5-10 years by Sharks' and Canucks' fans, while these teams have seen their window disappear. Good GM's make the tough decisions and leave the emotions away when they are committed to win. Look at the Bruins' moves since 5 years...

By the way, would the Bruins have Plek as a top 6 centerman...answer the question and this might put some light in your arguments. BTW, Plek's contract is too expensive to keep him as a 3rd center...just in case...
Plekanec is suffering the same problem as Saku Koivu, which is playing as our 1st line center when he would be the PERFECT 2nd center. He IS a 1st line center but a bottom tier, that could work if our 2nd line center is also in the 1st center category but DD is not, FAR from it.

Plekanec would be just fine as a 2nd center in a contender team, there's isn't even a doubt about that.

As for Plekanec with the Bruins, just imagine Plekanec with Lucic and Horton on each of his wings, I bet he'd easily be a 70 pts player.

Plekanec in the recent years had to play with defensive players and plug like Darche, Moen, White etc... he still manage to produce at a very respective rate.

I'm sorry but your evaluation of Plekanec is completely flawed.

Old
08-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Habsrule

I am not going to say that creating a dynasty is an easy thing to do but it kinda is. All that you have to do is improve every year by a little bit.

Opening Night Rosters:

2011-12 Roster:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gionta-Plekanec-Cammelleri
Kostitsyn-Gomez-Eller
Moen-Nokolainen-Darche
x-Blunden

Subban-Gorges
Gill-Campoli
Markov-Emelin
x-Diaz

2012-13 Roster:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole
Gionta-Plekanec-Eller
Gallagher-Galchenyuk-Bourque
Moen-White-Prust
x-Armstrong

Subban-Markov
Emelin-Gorges
Diaz-Kaberle
x-Boullion, Weber

2013-14 Roster:

Pacioretty-Desharnais-Briere
Bourque-Plekanec-Gionta
Eller-Galchenyuk-Gallagher
Prust-White-Moen
x-Parros

Markov-Emelin
Subban-Gorges
Murray-Boullion
x-Diaz

The team has got just a little better each year. That plus we now have some rooke defencemen who look to step up within the next year or two. The future looks bright.

I think that any GM's ultimate goal is just to improve his hockey team from one year to the next. Just keep the ball rolling and you will be a powerhouse team. Do not forget that a lot of top end teams do not have as deep of a prospect pool as what the Habs do. Other top end teams have traded early draft picks to make playoff runs. The Habs finished second in the conference and had six of the top 85 picks in the draft. Habs have done it without trading the farm. I still say that the Habs are a ways away from being a dynasty team but this years team is better than last years teams. Last years team was better than the year befores team.

Habsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 09:38 AM
BadHabit

Quote:

This past season (albeit a shortened one) Plekanec put up the following numbers compared to all other Centers in the league.

Goals: 14, tied 11th
Assists: 19, tied 15th
+/-: +3, tied 18th
Faceoff %: 50.6, tied 59th
TOI Game: 19:12, 24th
Short Handed TOI: 98:42, 16th
Special Teams Pts: 15, tied 6th

Only one category shows him as being a second line center and that is Faceoff percentage. Yes that is an important stat and I really wish we had better draw takers, but the rest speaks for itself. If he played second line center, he'd be one of the best second line centers stat wise in the league!

I'm glad you changed your mind about getting rid of him - that would basically cripple this team defensively. It will be interesting to see what happens with him and Briere this year however.

BadHabit is offline   Reply With Quote