HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Center problem

Old
08-27-2013, 06:29 AM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

vCash: 50
The fourth line won't be the fourth line anymore when RNH and Gagner get hurt again.

The entire organization has 3 NHL caliber centres. That is a cause for concern.

syz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 07:02 AM
surshot*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by syz View Post
The fourth line won't be the fourth line anymore when RNH and Gagner get hurt again.

Every team in the NHL are in trouble if they lose the top two centers. RNH and Gagner have both played through injuries. Its a total what if the team bus crashes post.

They are obviously giving the fourth line job to one of Lander, Acton, Arco, or Miller. Thats four guys who are legitimate bottom six prospects with Arco and miller having second line potential all of age. How much more can one expect from any team??? They also have younger prospects in the pipe line.

IMO its Landers job to lose but lets all just pretend captain Sweden does not exist and recommend players that are not available or are not any better then him any ways. carry on...

surshot* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:58 AM
hyster110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushwick Bill View Post
I know many are against Taylor Hall moving to center, but I hope he can at least play some games there and gain some more experience at the center position. I still would like to try him permanently at center but even if we view him being a winger long term, it wouldn't hurt for him to have the experience and ability to fill in a center when injuries arise. Especially with our center depth.
or we let our all star left wing, play left wing! we as oilers fans should stop hanging our hat on converting someone to center, and sign another center. i mean the morning show was debating throwing eberle down the middle. just let the idea die!

hyster110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 09:22 AM
CupofOil
Visually, we suck.

Quote:

Not that i disagree with the jist of your post in regards to the center depth but when is Gagner ever injured? Say what you want about the little guy but he is durable but yeah, the Oilers have no margin for error if RNH or Gagner are lost for a significant period of time. MacT seems to be content with the center depth for some reason.

CupofOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:39 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Lok View Post
Fair enough - but who's available as veteran 3rd line centre?

David Steckel? Halpern? Malholtra?

Steckel - I've heard very negative things about from toronto - nil hockey sense, doubtful offense, faceoffs are the only good thing.

Halpern - is getting old - 3 pts in 46 games last year. that's not exactly a fourth line threat there.

Malholtra - Can he even play? The Canucks indicated that his health would be in jeopardy because he can't see out of one eye.

Who are the better options? I don't see a lot of great options. Grabovski was never going to come here to play 3/4th line.

Chris Vandevelde?

I'm fine with giving these guys a chance and seeing if they can swim. Lander? Arcobello and Miller are older prospects, having played in college. that's not a bad thing.

And keep an eye out for waivers.
The problem is this issue has been around for years, it should've been a target at the draft(via trade) or the first week of July.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose Coleman View Post
Who was Boston's fourth line centre? L.A's? I ask because I honestly couldn't tell you.

And no, depth doesn't hurt, but you still have to work within the cap, not to mention there's only so much ice time to go around. Do you see a lot of proven NHLers willing to take a proper fourth line role (meaning seven or eight minutes a night) on the off chance they can move up the depth chart in the event of an injury?
It's not about 4th line center, Boston had Krecji, Marchand, Bergeron, Kelly, Seguin, Peverely, Paile and Campbell as guys that are or were centers.

LA has Kopitar, Carter, Richards, Lewis, Stoll, Nolan, Fraser, Richardson.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:22 PM
HotToddy75

I used to think that our center depth was awful.

Then I looked at the weaker defensemen that were cut loose after last season (Whitney/Fistric/Peckham) and the guys who will move down the depth chart (Potter/ Nick Scultz). Better defensemen make centers look better. Maybe our centers look bad with bad defensemen.

Then I looked at the weaker forwards that these centermen had to play with. Petrell, Harski, Brown and Eager were all offensive black holes. Maybe our centers look bad with bad wingers.

Then I looked at the goofy system that Krueger used where the wingers didn't come down low. That means more work for the centers.

I am thinking that with a new system, better wingers and better d-men, our 3rd and 4th line centers will be looking better. Especially if Boyd Gordon can assume the role of Saturn V rocket and do the heavy lifting out of our zone.

HotToddy75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:25 PM
okgooil

Quote:

So if we lose our top two C we are in deep trouble, so you are saying we are exactly like every team in the NHL??

ps. you guys act like there are no options. If Nuge isn't ready to start the year, and Gagner gets hurt.. well Trade Nurce, Klefbom, Marincin, ect... for a C.

Last edited by okgooil: 08-27-2013 at 04:37 PM.
okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 04:44 PM
Arpeggio

There's nothing wrong with moving Hall to center for a couple weeks if Nuge is out. Elite level players have to do things like that once in a while; Chicago did it with Kane last year. I doubt it will hurt Hall at all.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Usual_Suspect

@Bob_Stauffer: Picked up the Sports Forecaster, the Hockey News Yearbook and Sportsnet Pool guide. None have Will Acton in mix as potential 4th line C...

@Bob_Stauffer: ..For the Oilers. IMO 4th line C comes down to Lander or Acton. Acton signed for 2 years. Might be better for Lander to play big mins in OKC

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 09:30 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
@Bob_Stauffer: Picked up the Sports Forecaster, the Hockey News Yearbook and Sportsnet Pool guide. None have Will Acton in mix as potential 4th line C...

@Bob_Stauffer: ..For the Oilers. IMO 4th line C comes down to Lander or Acton. Acton signed for 2 years. Might be better for Lander to play big mins in OKC
If we want Lander to play big minutes in OKC we should sign a legit 4th line centre instead of plugging the hole with a scrub like Acton.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 09:56 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post
If we want Lander to play big minutes in OKC we should sign a legit 4th line centre instead of plugging the hole with a scrub like Acton.
Is Acton a scrub? I haven't seen him play at all. I guess you have though.....right?

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:03 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Is Acton a scrub? I haven't seen him play at all. I guess you have though.....right?
Of course I haven't. But do I really need to watch a 26 year old who has never come close to sniffing an NHL spot play to determine that he isn't an NHL player?

By all accounts he sounds like another Vande Velde.

OilerTyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:16 AM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

Quote:
Of course I haven't. But do I really need to watch a 26 year old who has never come close to sniffing an NHL spot play to determine that he isn't an NHL player?

Fair enough. Like I mentioned, I haven't seen him play. I guess I also should say that I know absolutely nothing about the player, his age, etc.

I assumed he was related to Keith Acton though.

Didn't know he was 26 already.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

Quote:

Stauffer was hinting all summer about a guy in Acton's age group who the Oilers thought was ready to make the jump as 4th line center. Not real shocking that Stauffer is keeping those talks going.

Old
08-31-2013, 11:38 AM
BoldNewLettuce
Esquire

if Nuge is out...

Perron-Gagner-Yakupov
Joensuu-Hall-Hemsky
Jones-Gordon-Eberle
Eager-Lander-Brown
(Smyth)

Smid-Petry
Ference-J.Schultz
N.Schultz-Larsen

BoldNewLettuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:01 PM
voxel

I vaguely recall Acton when I attended Marlies games. I think he was the Marlie version of Pitlick - big, nimble, stone hands. If that's him, he's perfect for our 4C... Pitlick will become a 4C if he stays healthy... got the size, speed, skill, but lacks finish.

voxel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:47 PM
ExOilerFan

Acton had a good playoffs at least. 9 GP 4G 2A 6 PTS

ExOilerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:59 PM
Usual_Suspect

Quote:
Originally Posted by voxel View Post
I vaguely recall Acton when I attended Marlies games. I think he was the Marlie version of Pitlick - big, nimble, stone hands. If that's him, he's perfect for our 4C... Pitlick will become a 4C if he stays healthy... got the size, speed, skill, but lacks finish.
Has Pitlick played C since he went pro? Pretty sure he's been moved to wing.

Usual_Suspect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:00 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usual_Suspect View Post
Has Pitlick played C since he went pro? Pretty sure he's been moved to wing.
He played center, not sure about last year but Nelson said they like to play him where he performs best and that has been the wing so far.

Old
08-31-2013, 10:05 PM
Steve BachIntyre
BonegrinderNetminder

With all the talk about how well Arco performed down the middle in OKC along side the other kids last season, I highly doubt Hall takes precedence over him in a primary role down the middle. Eakins may however, be expecting Hall to take some PP face-offs or something of the like, should the Nuge be unexpectedly injured.

Steve BachIntyre is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 06:30 AM
Everlasting

Anton Lander is not a problem.

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
Bozo Buddies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlasting View Post
Anton Lander is not a problem.
He's not, however I'd like to see him in OKC for one more season and looking to be Gordon's eventual replacement instead of a 4C. I see Ewanyk as our future 4C.

09-01-2013, 03:41 PM
smackdaddy
Hall-RNH-Eberle

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
Not that i disagree with the jist of your post in regards to the center depth but when is Gagner ever injured? Say what you want about the little guy but he is durable but yeah, the Oilers have no margin for error if RNH or Gagner are lost for a significant period of time. MacT seems to be content with the center depth for some reason.
Content? What are you expecting him to do? Convince some team to give up their centers? Go shopping in the nhl bargain finder?

If there were options, I'm sure we'd be exploring them. You may as well jump to the conclusion that mact is content with no #1 D either.

smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 04:04 PM
nexttothemoon
The Drive for Nine

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Content? What are you expecting him to do? Convince some team to give up their centers? Go shopping in the nhl bargain finder?

If there were options, I'm sure we'd be exploring them. You may as well jump to the conclusion that mact is content with no #1 D either.
Well now that you mention it, I'm dissapoint that Pietrangelo isn't on the roster yet. Bold schmold.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 11:19 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 508
Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post

well i wonder if Mact is still 'reasonable optimistic' that he can make significant changes to the team? it's pretty clear that top 6 Cs and top 4 Ds are almost unattainable thru trade and good 3rd line Cs aren't much easier. the only players that move are wingers.

of the available Cs left, are any of them really much better than Lander or Acton? i don't know. seems Mact and Eakins are content.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote