HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Prospect Tracker - Part VI - The Next Wave

Closed Thread

Old
08-29-2013, 06:16 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Remember he is only like 19 or something. The kid will mature. Also I don't think this was anything more than a poor choice of words. Every athlete thinks how he does only few speak it though.

Old
08-29-2013, 06:37 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

vCash: 515
Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Remember he is only like 19 or something. The kid will mature. Also I don't think this was anything more than a poor choice of words. Every athlete thinks how he does only few speak it though.
As Newfy eluded to though there are grumblings around the OHL at both of his stops that his teammates find it a little taxing or that he is a difficult linemate at times.

Old
08-29-2013, 07:08 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

Wings BFF Corey Pronman gives us a slightly more sane prospect ranking (only top 10, though):

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/arti...articleid=1573

Interesting to note that he also does not love Ryan Sproul as much as we do.

edit: oops. beaten to the punch. Guess I'll leave it up since it's a new page.

It's also worth echoing that Pronman has a very particular rating system for goalies. Mrazek not being on the list isn't a strike against him.

Last edited by Guru Meditation: 08-29-2013 at 07:19 PM.
Old
08-29-2013, 07:11 PM
Chance on Chance

I think Danny d is a bit too high in that one. And Nyquist missed the cut off by 3 games

Old
08-29-2013, 08:17 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru Meditation View Post
Jesus. He sounds obsessed with himself.
My first thought while reading that quote. Just spewing self compliments.

Probably has some growing up to do.

Old
08-29-2013, 08:20 PM
Frk It
#FireHolland

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
This will start in about 30min. Melèn #69 in white.
Did you see the game? If so, what were your thoughts on Melen?

Old
08-30-2013, 03:13 AM
ChadS

I wouldn't be too worried about a kid who just turned 19 being over confident, as long as he keeps working hard and developing his game. If he wants to play with the Wings, he'll eventually figure it out and mature.

I think this was the first article I've read in which he speaks like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frk It View Post
Did you see the game? If so, what were your thoughts on Melen?
It's tough to make a lot of conclusions on a guy you've never seen before based on one game, but a couple of things:

- They basically rolled all four lines on PP and PK but he played LW on their "2nd line" and ran the line's PP. Also had some PK time but that didn't go so well (2 PP goals when he was on the PK). I think they lost 6-4 (no scoreboard on the stream), didn't have points but I think he was a +1.
- Big frame but obviously needs to gain a lot of weight. Gave the D-men a couple of hits and didn't shy away from contact, but not overly physical.
- Good passer, hard and accurate. Can't remember him shooting the puck at all. Skating was good for his size but will probably get better with more strenght training.
- Didn't like his effort level, or then his conditioning was weak. Rarely backchecked and just looked lazy most of the time. And when the effort was there, he pretty much did what he wanted, especially with the puck.

So based on that game, I'd say there's a lot of potential and liked him as a project but the major concerns for me were his size/strenght and effort level. Thankfully they've got 4 years to sign him.

Old
08-30-2013, 04:04 PM
ChadS

Bertuzzi scored twice in Guelph's final training camp scrimmage.
Quote:
Guelph Storm @Storm_City
Tyler Bertuzzi goes five hole on Nishi to give Team Red an early second period lead

Guelph Storm @Storm_City
Bertuzzi is back at it again, this time roofing it short side to give Red a 3 1 lead.

Old
08-30-2013, 05:01 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Bertuzzi has outpaced in terms of scoring per game the guy we were comparing him to on draft day in Shaw. This upcoming season in terms of progression is where Shaw really started to show offensive aptitude in terms of the OHL.

Be nice if he has a good offensive year, he has some tools for that.

Old
08-31-2013, 12:00 AM
One Cheeky Otter

does anyone know exactly why alan quine was unable to make grand rapids/get signed? i haven't seen him play in two years and i'm wondering in what direction his game has gone.

Old
08-31-2013, 12:10 AM
WesNichols14

vCash: 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by One Cheeky Otter View Post
does anyone know exactly why alan quine was unable to make grand rapids/get signed? i haven't seen him play in two years and i'm wondering in what direction his game has gone.
he re-entered the draft and was picked up by the Islanders

Old
08-31-2013, 01:25 AM
One Cheeky Otter

Quote:
Originally Posted by WesNichols14 View Post
he re-entered the draft and was picked up by the Islanders
right. but what was the knock on his play exactly?

Old
08-31-2013, 03:36 AM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Small(ish), poor D, not very fast considering his size. Production was ok but not exceptional, and I think he's production increased after he got traded to Belleville who have larger ice surface on their home arena. That helps players like Quine.

And kind of low on the depth chart.

I think Wings could have signed him if there were more contract spots available, but it was/is pretty tight there.

Old
08-31-2013, 03:59 AM
ricky0034

Quote:
Originally Posted by InjuredChoker View Post
Small(ish), poor D, not very fast considering his size. Production was ok but not exceptional, and I think he's production increased after he got traded to Belleville who have larger ice surface on their home arena. That helps players like Quine.

I think Wings could have signed him if there were more contract spots available, but it was/is pretty tight there.
that kind of runs contrary to pretty much every scouting report i've seen on him ever

for example:

http://www.redwingscentral.com/vault/alan-quine/

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWC SCOUTING EXCERPTS
Great skater with a high top speed … Quickness is what sets him apart from most good skaters … Tremendous puckhandling ability in tight spaces … Picked second overall in OHL draft because of his wide array of offensive skill, notably soft hands and good vision … Has shown he can put up points, but the jury is still out on whether he can handle a leading role or if he’s more of a complementary player … A quick learner who listens to his coaches and wants to improve his game … Needs to get better in high traffic and show he can handle physical play … Below-average size and isn’t physical enough … Inconsistency has been a problem … Needs to be more well-rounded and stronger defensively, as his minus-61 rating from 2009 to 2012 indicates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe McDonnell
“I’d classify him as a two-way guy, but he does have some offensive capabilities. It’s a wait-and-see kind of thing … He’s got a good skill-set, he’s a good skater, he competes hard.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Reid
“He’s got a great shot, but his best attribute is his quickness. That separates him from the rest, that he’s so quick. He’s great with the puck in tight areas as well. He’s got an NHL shot, he’s got NHL speed, excellent vision, he’s got all those, but above everything, at the top, is his quickness.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Nill
A great skater, a Darren Helm-type player. He’s on the right path. He’s doing everything right. He trains hard, works hard

Old
08-31-2013, 04:37 AM
Henkka

vCash: 528
Quote:

Imo, the contract spot situation was the main problem. Young defensive line center was needed in the system. Louis-Marc Aubry was also suffering, but they founded a more mature guy, and signed Luke Glendening for free. He already is pretty much what Quine was projected to be.

Old
08-31-2013, 04:53 AM
ChadS

Pre-season games last night:
- Mantha 0+0, -2, 2/2 SOG, 2 hits, 5min fighting major. Val-d'Or lost 5-0.
- Pope scored a PP-goal, W-Kelowna won 3-1 vs Vernon.
- Bäckman 0+0 in the European Trophy, they lost 4-2 vs Slovan Bratislava (KHL)

Old
08-31-2013, 09:20 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Thanks, do you know what Backmans' +/- was for the game? Not a huge deal but I'd be interested if it's available.

Old
08-31-2013, 09:25 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
I think it's the fact we have about 12 prospects who can fill a bottom 6 role. He was drafted 2nd overall in the OHL draft back in '09 and I suspect the Wings were hoping he could regain some of that production that made him a high draft pick.

He's a nice player but I don't think there's any part of his game that really sets him apart. We also have a really solid prospect pool right now so there wasn't any room for him to be offered a contract and continue to let him develop. I am glad he was drafted, hopefully he can get it done with another organization.

Old
08-31-2013, 09:33 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
Nothing wrong with confidence bordering on arrogance. So long as he can actually back up what he's talking about you can easily fine tune the milquetoast quotes for the press. I for one like having guys who are hungry and have high expectations. If he spit the bit in Barrie then sure, he probably needs to slow his roll. But he didn't, he kicked ass.

Old
08-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
No idea who has been running our OHL scouting but we've picked up some nice prospects lately. If baby Bert can add some scoring to his game he'll move up the rankings quickly.

Old
08-31-2013, 09:40 AM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabricoh View Post
Thanks, do you know what Backmans' +/- was for the game? Not a huge deal but I'd be interested if it's available.
The tournament doesn't record +/- for one reason or another.

Old
08-31-2013, 09:53 AM
Harnessed in Slums

Quote:
The tournament doesn't record +/- for one reason or another.
No worries, looking forward to seeing how Backman does this year. It sounds like this should be his final season in the SEL.

Old
08-31-2013, 11:22 AM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Bert does have some nice offensive skills. His 22 points in 43 games were due to him:
A) being rusty after his injury
B) Not exactly getting prime ice time, he was mostly on the third line with very sporadic PP time.

The positives though, are coach Scott Walker really trusts him and I think he will see plenty of action this year. His playoff ice time went through the roof, probably was close to the leaders among forwards, it was just unfortunate they ran into on of the hottest goal-tending performances I have seen.

Old
08-31-2013, 01:17 PM
newfy

Quote:
This is what makes me think Mantha might have more compete than people think. Hes a first round pick that goes out and fights a legit Q fighter in a 5-0 loss. He had five fights last year. If you can get him fired up he clearly is willing to fight and gets competitive in that sense, makes me think he'll have some more fire than people give him credit for

Old
08-31-2013, 02:09 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Nyquist Explosion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
This is what makes me think Mantha might have more compete than people think. Hes a first round pick that goes out and fights a legit Q fighter in a 5-0 loss. He had five fights last year. If you can get him fired up he clearly is willing to fight and gets competitive in that sense, makes me think he'll have some more fire than people give him credit for
I don't know that this is significantly different than when he is on in that sense though Newfy. His problem is consistent compete level. I certainly don't think it is totally devoid, but it isn't there shift to shift or more alarmingly last year for entire periods or games. Having heard that knock though and watch himself fall in the draft longer than he should have I think there will be a huge uptick in it and he has addressed this issue in all of his interviews.

The fighting part is interesting especially where we expect his size to eventually be. Would like to see him become less of a perimeter player so going inside and coming up swinging occasionally will probably help with that evolution.

Quote:

Quine is an explosive skater, was one of the best in the entire system. I think what did him in was the contract situation and the organizational faith in Glendening. Unless Sheahan comes on like gangbusters or Andersson's skating continues to progress in a big way, we are loaded with center depth. As is Ferraro is likely heading out to the wing and has skating and offensive ability.

By the way what we don't know is maybe Quine himself wanted to go back into the draft, we didn't get much of an update on why they didn't come to a contract. Occasionally it is the player himself, but speed was not an issue.

Closed Thread