HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jamie McGinn

Old
08-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Freaky Styley

vCash: 500
Jamie McGinn

He is probably the least talked about guy on our roster. I'm curious to what everyone thinks about him.. what do you expect from him this year? What kind of potential do you think he has? Who would you compare him to in the league?

Last year he played on the top line with Duchene and Parenteau, a line that was a success (and he hit a ton of posts). This year he will start with Mackinnon and Downie, it will be interesting to see what kind of role he takes.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 04:58 PM
AvalancheFan19

He has a great shot. I think he is capable of netting 15-20 goals regularly and he's a big body. Good on the forecheck who's perfect for the third line. Glad we got him, definitely prefer him over Winnik or Galiardi.

AvalancheFan19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:01 PM
avsfan9

I think this is going to be the best third line in the league. I can see mcginn netting 25 goals, 30 assists. Very underrated player imo.

avsfan9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Cullen Bohannon

Like all power forwards, McGinn has taken a little bit longer to develop, I can easily see him as a 2nd line winger on this team if we keep him around.

He's incredibly versatile as well which is a bonus.

Cullen Bohannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:08 PM
AslanRH
Plebeian Poster

vCash: 172
I could see him traded if ROR or Stastny work as 1LW.
My impression is he does not seem to be defensively good enough to keep at 3LW even if the Avs run 3 lines, unless he can start doing some more PK time.
Also we still have Tangs for 3 years and Sgarbossa and Hishon in the system.

08-30-2013, 05:09 PM
henchman24
Mr. Meeseeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Styley View Post
He is probably the least talked about guy on our roster. I'm curious to what everyone thinks about him.. what do you expect from him this year? What kind of potential do you think he has? Who would you compare him to in the league?

Last year he played on the top line with Duchene and Parenteau, a line that was a success (and he hit a ton of posts). This year he will start with Mackinnon and Downie, it will be interesting to see what kind of role he takes.
This year - 20-25g 20a 175 hits
Top end potential - 25g 25a 190 hits
Comparison - This is a hard one as not many players have McGinn's shot, speed, and size combination. Maybe a faster Ryane Clowe? When he came out in 2006, I heard an interesting comparison from somebody... he said McGinn reminded him of a 6' version of Theo Fleury. That has stuck with me to this day.

henchman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 05:11 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
I expect him to score 25 goals and to be one of our most physical guys. He's a perfect fit to play behind Landy on the left side, another wave of shooting, hitting and scoring. It's similar to what we have down the middle with Duchene followed by MacKinnon.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 06:59 PM
cgf
Fire Bednar

If he scores 20 goals and 25 assists while backing up MacKinnon I'll be happy. If however at some point he and Tanguay swap lines I'll be looking for 25 goals out of the man. He hit such an insane amount of posts last year, he can't do that agian, right?...

cgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 07:00 PM
bromando

So glad we made that trade. Winnik is still a good PKer and Galiardi occasionally flashes visions of his former self. But I would trade both of them for McGinn by himself, Sgarbossa is just an excellent addition to that deal...and oh well about Connolly.

Overall I could see him getting to 25 and 25 in his peak but would expect him to get 20 and 20 on average, especially if he clicks with Mack. Definitely happy to have him on the team and hope he sticks around for us

bromando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 07:18 PM
tigervixxxen
Optimism=Delusional

vCash: 50
He'll be RFA, hopefully it shouldn't be too tough to keep him.

tigervixxxen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:48 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
Comparison - This is a hard one as not many players have McGinn's shot, speed, and size combination. Maybe a faster Ryane Clowe? When he came out in 2006, I heard an interesting comparison from somebody... he said McGinn reminded him of a 6' version of Theo Fleury. That has stuck with me to this day.
I was actually going to use Ryan Clowe as a comparable. I'm glad we have him too and hope he can turn into a Bickell type of player for us (obviously not as big). I'll be interested to see what he can do this year, and if things don't work out with ROR on the top line I hope he gets a shot with Dutchy and Parenteau again.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:16 PM
Lonewolfe2015

vCash: 413
I don't understand where people get the physicality aspect from, he's been relatively soft with us for someone heralded as a hitter. I can't even think of one notable instance since he's been here where he's laid someone out, unlike his time in San Jose.

Lonewolfe2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 11:47 PM
Gumballhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfe2015 View Post
I don't understand where people get the physicality aspect from, he's been relatively soft with us for someone heralded as a hitter. I can't even think of one notable instance since he's been here where he's laid someone out, unlike his time in San Jose.
He's shown flashes of it. Last year he seemed to be less of a hitter though. I have a feeling that under Roy we'll find out if he really is.

Gumballhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:27 AM
The Mars Volchenkov
Everbeast

vCash: 127
Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Quote:
I remember him crushing Anisimov early in the year and then fighting someone immediately afterwards.

He did the same thing the year before after he wa brought in. I think tha game was against Minnesota.

Last edited by The Mars Volchenkov: 08-31-2013 at 12:40 AM.
The Mars Volchenkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:07 AM
forsbergavs32

NHL record for most posts hit in a season

Hoping for 20g 20a out of him.

forsbergavs32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:33 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Last season he was unlucky with all the posts but he was still on pace for 19 goals over an 82 game season. So I think he's definitely capable of scoring 20+ goals and putting up 40+ points but I don't know if he'll get there next season. If Roy sticks with his original plan with the lines, McGinn's ice time will probably be reduced and I doubt he gets much PP time. However, his line should get easier match-ups and if MacKinnon is good right away, anything is possible. I predict around 15-17 goals from McGinn this season.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 04:12 AM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Quote:
he was blowing people up every single game early in the year.

Alex Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 04:22 AM
Alex Jones
WOKE

Quote:
Originally Posted by henchman24 View Post
I think he's a (much) less talented Taylor Hall. Obviously one is a star in the NHL and the other is probably a career second line player, but they do a lot of the same things. They both skate really well and are efficient at using their speed to drive the net. They have similar physical games, somewhat limited awareness, and are tough to defend when they decide they want to take the puck to the paint.

The main difference between them is that Hall is better around the net and has much, much better hands. That said, I do think that Mcginn makes an alright comparison for Hall, if we ignore the talent difference.

Alex Jones is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Mifroid

Absolutely love him as a 3rd liner, could be a good 2nd liner as well.

Expect between 35 and 40 points from the guy on the 3rd line this year.

Mifroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 12:50 PM
R S

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Doesn't have to be killing people to be a physical player. Averaged nearly two hits per game last year and was 6th overall on the team in hits.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:06 PM
Mystic MacK
Foppa2118

Quote:
I think the difference is likely the difference in roles with SJ and COL. He's ben focusing more on offense here, where as he was more of a pure 3rd liner over there mucking it up.

I'm fine with his physical game. As long as he's charging in on the forecheck, and making contact when needed that's good enough IMO. Knocking a guy off balance, or winning physical battles like he does can be just as effective as laying a guy out, just not as flashy.

In fact I think there's probably something to be said about a player staying healthier not making such forceful hits. Landy exemplifies that approach. If you watch the way he hits, he's not going in and feeling the brunt of the hit himself because of the sheer energy of the two bodies hitting each other full on. He makes contact and uses his strength and balance to follow through with his hit and shove the guy. Still powerful hit for the guy receiving it, but less impact on Landy's side.

McGinn still battles and wins in the corners as much as anyone, and is nearly always first in on the forecheck. If he didn't have his speed and shot, I'd say he should be more physical, but as it is I think he has the right balance between the two.

Mystic MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:15 PM
Gigantor The Goalie

Give me 20 goals, don't allow anyone to cheapshot MacKinnon, and play a physical game. That's all I want and expect out of him.

Gigantor The Goalie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:19 PM
Colorado Avalanche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigantor The Goalie View Post
Give me 20 goals, don't allow anyone to cheapshot MacKinnon, and play a physical game. That's all I want and expect out of him.
I think Downie can handle that cheapshot part

Colorado Avalanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 01:26 PM
Teuras
Registered offender

vCash: 1175
Quote:
Originally Posted by forsbergavs32 View Post
NHL record for most posts hit in a season :sarcasm
I was wondering the other day if someone actually kept record of that. I would like to know

Teuras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 02:40 PM
Freudian
Clearly deranged

PP time may be scarce for players like McGinn so 20 goals might be hard for him to reach.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote