HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
08-31-2013, 11:28 AM
  #26
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,688
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Personally I rank good fellas, casino and scarface above godfather trio when it comes to gangster flicks. Doesn't mean I don't like godfather, its a great trilogy.

The untouchables IMO is one of the most overrated gangster flicks. Connery and Costner are terrible in that movie
I loved GoodFellas and Resevoir Dogs. Scarface didn't do it for me. Never saw Casino.

I know it's a very unpopular opinion but still, Godfather was never a movie I could get into. I watched it from start to end three times and it just left me indifferent. I mean the acting was solid and all, but the story and the plot of it all... Just didn't do it for me.

__________________
"I really like the way Drew Doughty plays the game. He's like a defenceman version of Erik Karlsson."
-68
Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 11:29 AM
  #27
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator
 
Crimson Skorpion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Lachine, Quebec
Country: Germany
Posts: 27,688
vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
While we are confessing our sins against manhood , I am sure everyone has a movie they don't get or is overhyped. Mine is A Clockwork Orange.

Oh and some of the Die Hard movies have redefined the art of taking your audience for idiots. These movies defy so many things but mostly the laws of physics.
Clockwork Orange is an acquired taste, I think, much like mobster movies in general. You either appreciate the value of it or get turned off by how bizarre everything is.

Crimson Skorpion is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 11:36 AM
  #28
roy munson
Registered User
 
roy munson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,949
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
Of course my man Roy digs 12 Monkeys
I love that movie, I just wish there were more monkeys in it.

How's your summer going Blou?

roy munson is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 11:39 AM
  #29
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Speaking of clockwork orange (wtf earl, u were raking in points with there will be blood and such...), if anyone loves good satire, Kubrick's Barry Lyndon is Greta movie and IMO Kubrick's best work.

uiCk is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 11:48 AM
  #30
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Oh and Bad Lieutenant (1992) with Harvey Keitel is is great flick, must watch for whoever likes stories of degenerates.

uiCk is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 11:52 AM
  #31
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
I loved GoodFellas and Resevoir Dogs. Scarface didn't do it for me. Never saw Casino.

I know it's a very unpopular opinion but still, Godfather was never a movie I could get into. I watched it from start to end three times and it just left me indifferent. I mean the acting was solid and all, but the story and the plot of it all... Just didn't do it for me.
Casino suffered from the misfortune of coming out after Goodfellas and didn't appear as original by comparison, but I think it's a better film. Can't go wrong with either, of course!

Scarface was entertaining as hell, but I can't put it on the same pedestal as the Scorsese or Coppola masterpieces.

Lshap is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 11:58 AM
  #32
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
While we are confessing our sins against manhood , I am sure everyone has a movie they don't get or is overhyped. Mine is A Clockwork Orange.

Oh and some of the Die Hard movies have redefined the art of taking your audience for idiots. These movies defy so many things but mostly the laws of physics.
Mine is The Big Lebowski.

Andy is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:00 PM
  #33
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,711
vCash: 500
Casino is fantastic, I rate it right under Godfather I.

My favorite "mob-gangster" movies

Godfather I
Casino
Goodfellas
GodfatherII

Andy is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:22 PM
  #34
Brainiac
Registered User
 
Brainiac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Montreal
Posts: 2,534
vCash: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
While we are confessing our sins against manhood , I am sure everyone has a movie they don't get or is overhyped. Mine is A Clockwork Orange.
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but for me it's Mullholand drive...


Brainiac is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:26 PM
  #35
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but for me it's Mullholand drive...

Funny story about mulholand drive. my girlfriend was watching it for the first time. I hadn't seen it either.

I walk in, see some pretty ladies and say " Those two are going to bang, right? If so, I'm staying". She rolls her eyes.

15 minutes later, movie delivers. Girlfriend is somewhere between irritated with me and mildly impressed.

__________________



"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:32 PM
  #36
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Speaking of which I don't see brokeback mountain on anyone's list . Lol

Agnostic is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:36 PM
  #37
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Hah. Oh boy. I'd tell you to take cover, but you know that already.

Loved godfather 1. Don't understand how people have to argue about which one is better between 1 and 2.


As for die hard... I can see how it helped revive the action movie scene at the time, but just as a film, I don't find it all that entertaining. I always see it as #1 on all time best action movies when T2 is a vastly superior film. Matrix too, imo, fwiw.

I tried watching kill bill vol. 1 again. Couldn't get through it, again. Just not my type of movie.


Not sure if I mentioned it in the last thread, but anyone else here love Old Boy?
Love me some Old Boy!

Have you seen the other two movies of Chan-Woo Park's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance , Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)? If not, I would very strongly recommend them.

There is also a 4th movie that is by another South Korean director named Eun-jin Pang called Princess Aurora that often is mentioned in the same sentence as Park's Vengeance trilogy. If you are a fan of the trilogy I would also recommend seeing this one as it may not be quite as strong but is still very good imo.

Estimated_Prophet is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:43 PM
  #38
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Love me some Old Boy!

Have you seen the other two movies of Chan-Woo Park's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance , Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)? If not, I would very strongly recommend them.

There is also a 4th movie that is by another South Korean director named Eun-jin Pang called Princess Aurora that often is mentioned in the same sentence as Park's Vengeance trilogy. If you are a fan of the trilogy I would also recommend seeing this one as it may not be quite as strong but is still very good imo.
You're like a friend of mine who used to own a video store . He's seen every movie known to man.

Agnostic is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:45 PM
  #39
Lshap
Registered User
 
Lshap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,278
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Speaking of which I don't see brokeback mountain on anyone's list . Lol
Really good film. I'm curious how long a shelf life it has, assuming gay-themed stories are quickly losing their shock value in our enlightened society. I mean, compared to an episode of OZ, Brokeback Mountain is a kiss on the cheek (no, not that cheek...).

Lshap is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:51 PM
  #40
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by uiCk View Post
Oh and Bad Lieutenant (1992) with Harvey Keitel is is great flick, must watch for whoever likes stories of degenerates.
Still haven't seen it but thanks for reminding me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Skorpion View Post
Clockwork Orange is an acquired taste, I think, much like mobster movies in general. You either appreciate the value of it or get turned off by how bizarre everything is.
Acquired taste is probably the wrong term as I loved it the first time I saw it. Not like I had to watch it a bunch of times before it started growing on me.

Anyways.....I think I know what you meant but couldn't help myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
Casino suffered from the misfortune of coming out after Goodfellas and didn't appear as original by comparison, but I think it's a better film. Can't go wrong with either, of course!.
I completely agree with you on this one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Mine is The Big Lebowski.
Oh no you didn't!

Stand down blasphemer!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Funny story about mulholand drive. my girlfriend was watching it for the first time. I hadn't seen it either.

I walk in, see some pretty ladies and say " Those two are going to bang, right? If so, I'm staying". She rolls her eyes.

15 minutes later, movie delivers. Girlfriend is somewhere between irritated with me and mildly impressed.
Always find it odd when people refer to lesbian scenes such as this one as "banging". It might have been kind of comical if they actually started "banging" as it generally involves accessories that would have put the scene way over the top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Speaking of which I don't see brokeback mountain on anyone's list . Lol
They are keeping it in their movie closet with The Crying Game, Philadelphia and Milk..........

Estimated_Prophet is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:53 PM
  #41
ourobouros
Registered User
 
ourobouros's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 124
vCash: 500
I Saw the Devil (one of the most violent film i ever saw - that scene inside the car... wow!) and Memories of Murder are two other great corean movies.

ourobouros is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 12:55 PM
  #42
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
You're like a friend of mine who used to own a video store . He's seen every movie known to man.
I work with two enormous cinephiles, one of whom is particularly enamoured with Asian movies. There isn't much that I haven't heard of or seen at this point although I still haven't seen Citizen Kane yet.....go figure

Estimated_Prophet is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 01:17 PM
  #43
uiCk
GrEmelins
 
uiCk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MTL
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,287
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I work with two enormous cinephiles, one of whom is particularly enamoured with Asian movies. There isn't much that I haven't heard of or seen at this point although I still haven't seen Citizen Kane yet.....go figure
;p same here im huge film buff, and took me until last month to watch Citizen Kane. Was impressive, despite the hype (im terrible when it comes to hype and try to stay away from trailers as much as possible :/ )

uiCk is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 01:45 PM
  #44
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,126
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Love me some Old Boy!

Have you seen the other two movies of Chan-Woo Park's Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance , Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)? If not, I would very strongly recommend them.

There is also a 4th movie that is by another South Korean director named Eun-jin Pang called Princess Aurora that often is mentioned in the same sentence as Park's Vengeance trilogy. If you are a fan of the trilogy I would also recommend seeing this one as it may not be quite as strong but is still very good imo.
I started watching Sympathy for lady vengeance, but I couldn't really get into it. I'll be completely honest and admit that I probably didn't watch it in the right setting. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Ever see I saw the Devil? Saw that at a premiere, actually. So incredibly over the top.

overlords is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 02:15 PM
  #45
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,161
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I started watching Sympathy for lady vengeance, but I couldn't really get into it. I'll be completely honest and admit that I probably didn't watch it in the right setting. Maybe I'll give it another shot.

Ever see I saw the Devil? Saw that at a premiere, actually. So incredibly over the top.
I Saw the Devil was awesome!

I find I have to be in the right mood to enjoy specific types of movies.....especially foreign films. If I am slightly distracted then I lose my focus, much like when reading a book and your mind wanders. Three pages later you realize that you haven't absorbed a thing and you reset your bookmark for a later day.

Estimated_Prophet is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 03:10 PM
  #46
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,923
vCash: 500
Ok tonight's movie might be between 12 Monkeys and Old boy , 2 movies I have had lying around on the to-watch list. Pros ? Cons?

Agnostic is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 03:16 PM
  #47
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse
 
overlords's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Trolling Brian Wilde
Posts: 26,126
vCash: 500
I've seen 12 monkeys suggested so much in this thread, I think it might have just bumped There Will Be Blood for tonight's movie night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
I Saw the Devil was awesome!

I find I have to be in the right mood to enjoy specific types of movies.....especially foreign films. If I am slightly distracted then I lose my focus, much like when reading a book and your mind wanders. Three pages later you realize that you haven't absorbed a thing and you reset your bookmark for a later day.
Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I think when I watched Vengeance, it was one of those, " hey, lets watch a movie in bed before going to sleep' kinda things.

Probably focused on other things


I can't watch documentaries too early, because they always leave me pissed right the **** off and it ruins my mood for the entire day.

overlords is offline  
Old
08-31-2013, 04:07 PM
  #48
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,711
vCash: 500
It's not the first time I hear that The Untouchables is overrated and boring. I really wanna see it, but I'm always hesitant.

Andy is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 04:08 PM
  #49
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I've seen 12 monkeys suggested so much in this thread, I think it might have just bumped There Will Be Blood for tonight's movie night.



Yeah, I know exactly what you mean. I think when I watched Vengeance, it was one of those, " hey, lets watch a movie in bed before going to sleep' kinda things.

Probably focused on other things


I can't watch documentaries too early, because they always leave me pissed right the **** off and it ruins my mood for the entire day.
You wont' regret 12 Monkeys if you like dystopian time travel. It's such a fantastic movie. Brad Pitt and Bruce Willis are fantastic. It's not a fast paced movie, but it isn't slow paced like Blade Runner.

Andy is online now  
Old
08-31-2013, 04:10 PM
  #50
Andy
Registered User
 
Andy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Ok tonight's movie might be between 12 Monkeys and Old boy , 2 movies I have had lying around on the to-watch list. Pros ? Cons?
12 Monkeys is slower paced, but good story, it will have you thinking. Old Boy is violent, more suspenseful (but so if 12 Monkeys imo).

You can't go wrong with either movie imo. I would suggest 12 Monkeys.

Andy is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.