HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > International Tournaments
International Tournaments Discuss international tournaments such as the World Juniors, Olympic hockey, and Ice Hockey World Championships, as they take place; or discuss past tournaments.

Junior Club World Cup 2013

Old
08-27-2013, 06:35 AM
Mr Writer

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I don't think the nationality thing is strong with club competition in hockey, even if a league vs league comparison could trigger some conversation. I'm basically interested in a few players who might end up on the national teams, but Frölunda as a team?

And yeah, the media coverage just isn't there. The tournament website would be hard to find if it wasn't for this thread. The idea is great but has some ways to go still.
Next year this tournament is open to bids from other cities... I was reading an article on a Russian website where Medvedev was quoted as saying there is a lot of interest in N. America to host it next year. I don't see it...but I'll guess we'll find out soon enough... if it becomes a tournament of champions, i.e. The Halifax Mooseheads playing this year (without of course Drouin and Mackinnon)... so until Hockey Canada gets serious I don't see why I should bother with this.

Mr Writer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 08:16 AM
cagney
cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
I can only speak for myself, but I don't think the nationality thing is strong with club competition in hockey, even if a league vs league comparison could trigger some conversation. I'm basically interested in a few players who might end up on the national teams, but Frölunda as a team?

And yeah, the media coverage just isn't there. The tournament website would be hard to find if it wasn't for this thread. The idea is great but has some ways to go still.
A lot of Canadian (and some American) fans take a large amount of pride in the perceived strength of the CHL leagues and while it's not outright nationalism it certainly takes on that level of emotion when challenged. It might be a minority when compared to the people who come out during national team competition but they've always been a vocal bunch so the silence does surprise me to a degree.

I'd say that the strength of junior leagues in various nations could reflect on the level of hockey development in those nations in some people's eyes. It's debatable whether or not that's true and it's even more debatable whether or not wins and losses in a tournament like this could help answer the question. There's plenty of discussion that could arise out of those debates though so it'd be nice if more people knew about the tournament or could watch the games.

cagney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 10:40 AM
cska78

Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
it's hard to compare the junior leagues based on this tournament, for example american team has practiced for just a few days, while Avangard was practicing for like a month if not more. The ages are very different, while the swedes have the majority of 17 y.o. Omsk features a few 20 y.o. and barely any 17y.o. The difference in time between Omsk and the Saints is 12 hours, Ontario is also the same ball-park (too lazy to check). This is just a funky preseason tournament, all there's to it. Many American kids come from u18 league, while some kids from Omsk have KHL experience.

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 11:34 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
it's hard to compare the junior leagues based on this tournament, for example american team has practiced for just a few days, while Avangard was practicing for like a month if not more. The ages are very different, while the swedes have the majority of 17 y.o. Omsk features a few 20 y.o. and barely any 17y.o. The difference in time between Omsk and the Saints is 12 hours, Ontario is also the same ball-park (too lazy to check). This is just a funky preseason tournament, all there's to it. Many American kids come from u18 league, while some kids from Omsk have KHL experience.
You've become very skeptical about this tourney since it's last edition... join the club

Last edited by ozo: 08-27-2013 at 11:41 AM.
ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 12:36 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
You've become very skeptical about this tourney since it's last edition... join the club
well I understand, but don't appreciate the rational of Omsk, which fields as experienced roster as possible in the MHL and WJC, just to achieve some result, while, for example, lifting Tkachev from the training camp with the main team...

Old
08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
cska78

ha, Saints have a Russian guy playing for them - very funny interview in Russian though (http://mhl.khl.ru/news/index.php?ELEMENT_ID=282895)

Old
08-27-2013, 12:53 PM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
This is a really redicoulous friendly tourney like the European Trophy. Not playing it the same season that the teams won their respective championship possibly makes it even worse though. It says nothing about the team that wins it.

Darth Yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 02:35 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
well I understand, but don't appreciate the rational of Omsk, which fields as experienced roster as possible in the MHL and WJC, just to achieve some result, while, for example, lifting Tkachev from the training camp with the main team...
Every team has the same conditions, every team can bring guys from previous season or senior team (the same with NA teams). I dont get your arguments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
This is a really redicoulous friendly tourney like the European Trophy. Not playing it the same season that the teams won their respective championship possibly makes it even worse though. It says nothing about the team that wins it.
Yes, timing is difficult. On the other hand, it is great tournament with great idea. Tell me what tournament consists of CHL, USHL + top euro countries teams? Many of them are top in the country.

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:07 PM
Huffman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
Every team has the same conditions, every team can bring guys from previous season or senior team (the same with NA teams). I dont get your arguments.

Yes, timing is difficult. On the other hand, it is great tournament with great idea. Tell me what tournament consists of CHL, USHL + top euro countries teams? Many of them are top in the country.
A tournament called the U20 Super Challenge was played last week in Karlstad, Sweden for the first time. Scouts from every NHL-team attended and it sounds like the event was pretty successful overall (maybe because the home team won). This year 4 Swedish teams, 3 Finnish teams and the Norwegian U20 national team participated. The long term goal is to get the strongest teams from Europe and North America to participate.

http://fbk.sportsedit.se/index.php/artikel/40602/

Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-27-2013, 03:18 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffman View Post
A tournament called the U20 Super Challenge was played last week in Karlstad, Sweden for the first time. Scouts from every NHL-team attended and it sounds like the event was pretty successful overall (maybe because the home team won). This year 4 Swedish teams, 3 Finnish teams and the Norwegian U20 national team participated. The long term goal is to get the strongest teams from Europe and North America to participate.

http://fbk.sportsedit.se/index.php/artikel/40602/
Quote:
European Trophy Junior (previously named Nordic Trophy Junior between 2007 and 2009) was the junior edition of the European Trophy ice hockey tournament. European Trophy Junior was for ice hockey players younger than the age of 20. It was played in August every year. The tournament was cancelled after 2010.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Trophy_Junior

Old
08-27-2013, 03:40 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Fun and unusual hockey perhaps, but to call it the Junior World Cup is wrong since the winner is not the best junior club team in the world.

Old
08-27-2013, 03:48 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Fun and unusual hockey perhaps, but to call it the Junior World Cup is wrong since the winner is not the best junior club team in the world.
Using argument which you desbribed, we need to rename following tournaments:

IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship
IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship
IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship

Old
08-27-2013, 03:57 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
Using argument which you desbribed, we need to rename following tournaments:

IIHF Ice Hockey World Championship
IIHF Ice Hockey U20 World Championship
IIHF Ice Hockey U18 World Championship
While i do agree that these are not true best on best tournaments, there still is a difference. With the exception of Team Canada in the U18 WC, all teams there has the same rules to apply to. In the Junior World Cup: Lets just wait and see how the Sudbury Wolves does in the CHL this season with only eight players from last year remaining on their roster, players that for the most part did not contribute very much to their championship.

Old
08-27-2013, 04:09 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
While i do agree that these are not true best on best tournaments, there still is a difference. With the exception of Team Canada in the U18 WC, all teams there has the same rules to apply to. In the Junior World Cup: Lets just wait and see how the Sudbury Wolves does in the CHL this season with only eight players from last year remaining on their roster, players that for the most part did not contribute very much to their championship.
It was choice of Hockey Canada and CHL to send better team. Tournament has IIHF status, is supported by IIHF since its 1st edition, is respected by all participated countries (exception Canada, but Canada does not respect anything which is organised by IIHF). Junior Club World Cup is SOLE such tourney in the world.

Old
08-27-2013, 04:26 PM
Darth Yoda

Quote:
It was choice of Hockey Canada and CHL to send better team. Tournament has IIHF status, is supported by IIHF since its 1st edition, is respected by all participated countries (exception Canada, but Canada does not respect anything which is organised by IIHF).
Aha i dont follow the CHL enough that is for sure. So not even the reigning champion team from the best junior leagues(CHL) in the world.

Quote:
Junior Club World Cup is SOLE such tourney in the world.
Yes, but that does not make it what some tries to portray it to be. A nice pre-season adventure for all involved i'm sure, but really hard to call the winner the best junior team of 2012-13 that's for sure.

Old
08-28-2013, 07:06 AM
cska78

the youtube feed is very good though!

Old
08-28-2013, 07:28 AM
cska78

i praised the quality of the feed way too early))))

Old
08-29-2013, 06:52 AM
cska78

is there a video Riga - Sudbery?

Old
08-31-2013, 08:11 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Final standings

1. Omsk Hawks - Russia (MHL)
2. HPK Hämeenlinna - Finland (Nuorten SM-Liiga)
3. Dubuque Fighting Saints - USA (USHL)
4. Dinamo Shinnik Bobruysk - Belarus (MHL)
5. HK Riga - Latvia (MHL)
6. Sudbury Wolves - Canada (CHL/OHL)
7. Frölunda Indians - Sweden (J20 SuperElit)
8. HC Vítkovice Steel - Czech rep. (Noen ELJ)

Old
08-31-2013, 11:38 PM
Backami

Well done russians. Win is win no matter what...

Backami is offline   Reply With Quote