HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Let's talk about movies (and TV shows)... The Sequel!!

Closed Thread

Old
09-01-2013, 10:02 AM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Wow, that's great news. Hope the documentary will be up the task.

If you don't know who Léo Major is, feel some shame and go read the wiki entry for him. This guy is a legend.
I have a VC winner in the family. Hard to impress me.

But I'll probably check it out. Usually don't like documentaries about war, though.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:03 AM
Crimson Skorpion

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
I'm assuming you've seen district 9?
Yes. Absolutely loved it aside from the ending which turned into a shooter, taking away some value.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Old
09-01-2013, 10:06 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Both my girlfriend and I enjoyed it, but I'll agree that it didn't live up to the hype. But people painted it as top 5 sci-fi film. So that's some pretty tough hype to deliver on.
That's the problem with these threads - how do you market a film in a way that tempts without overselling? "An epic story that includes the necessary elements of successful filmmaking!" "See this film just because!" "Someone has the same name as you in the end credits!"

I loved 12 Monkeys because it was a stylish and twisted mind-*******. I love that kind of creative screenplay. It's been years since I saw it so I can't say if it holds up today against its reputation.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Lshap

Films with creative takes on extraterrestrials (off the top of my head):

- District 9

- 2001 A Space Odyssey (yes, it counts even if you don't see them)

- E.T.

- Dark City

- Contact

- Signs

I'd consider the first three of these films great and the last three to be good to lesser degrees, but all have an original spin on how aliens and humans interact and/or what we want from each other (I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers for some). I'm sure I forgot some others, so feel free to add to my list.

I didn't count some great alien flics like Alien, Predator, Starship Troopers, etc, because they cast aliens as one-dimensional bad-guys.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:22 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lshap View Post
That's the problem with these threads - how do you market a film in a way that tempts without overselling? "An epic story that includes the necessary elements of successful filmmaking!" "See this film just because!" "Someone has the same name as you in the end credits!"

I loved 12 Monkeys because it was a stylish and twisted mind-*******. I love that kind of creative screenplay. It's been years since I saw it so I can't say if it holds up today against its reputation.
It is tough to recommend movies to people without overhyping them. Part of the reason that we recommend movies is because they exceeded our expectations. By recommending the movie to someone else we inevitably raise their expectations which almost invariably leads to a lesser relative experience for the other person.

For myself, I try and make a conscious effort not to do so when someone recommends a movie to myself but it is not easily accomplished.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:26 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

- District 9

- E.T.

- Dark City

- Contact

- Signs

I'd consider the first three of these films great and the last three to be good to lesser degrees, but all have an original spin on how aliens and humans interact and/or what we want from each other (I won't go into plot details to avoid spoilers for some). I'm sure I forgot some others, so feel free to add to my list.

I didn't count some great alien flics like Alien, Predator, Starship Troopers, etc, because they cast aliens as one-dimensional bad-guys.
Enemy Mine, and both of the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises would qualify with the criteria that you have cited.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:27 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Maybe I should give Dark City another chance. My girlfriend loved it and I fell asleep.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:33 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:

- District 9

- E.T.

- Dark City

- Contact

- Signs

Don't forget Paul either.......

Old
09-01-2013, 10:42 AM
Andy

Would you say Dark City is creepy? I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm easily frightened and try to avoid creepy/scary movies. I've always wanted to watch Dark City, Sci-Fi/Fantasy is probably my favorite genre, especially if it also suspenseful and action-like.

Sorry you guys didn't like 12 Monkeys as much as I was hyping it. Though to be fair, I didn't say it was the greatest movie ever

Old
09-01-2013, 10:46 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Would you say Dark City is creepy? I'm embarrassed to admit it, but I'm easily frightened and try to avoid creepy/scary movies. I've always wanted to watch Dark City, Sci-Fi/Fantasy is probably my favorite genre, especially if it also suspenseful and action-like.

Sorry you guys didn't like 12 Monkeys as much as I was hyping it. Though to be fair, I didn't say it was the greatest movie ever
Maybe you can consider the atmosphere and implications that go on during the movie as creepy, but I don't think it's anything you would ever qualify as scary.

Not much action, though.

And I'm the complete opposite. It's very rare to find a movie that doesn't resort to jump scares today. I hunt these movies down.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:52 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Enemy Mine, and both of the Star Trek and Star Wars franchises would qualify with the criteria that you have cited.
I love Star Trek and enjoy SW, but I put both those franchises into different categories, where inter-species relationships are established and the story uses them more as metaphors for the human condition. If it ever happens, a real first-contact would be much stranger than anything Trek dreamed up, and much deeper than any of the talking puppets of SW.

Now that I think of it, Star Trek: First Contact would be the only film in the canon to qualify. Cool movie.

Forgot about Enemy Mine. Not really that original from a sci-fi POV, more of a creative 'bromance'. Still, it was better than most alien films.

Also just remembered Starman, with Jeff Bridges. A bit cheesy, but an intelligent attempt at the human/alien genre.

Old
09-01-2013, 10:54 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

Quote:
You think so, but there's an alternate timeline where you loved it. I'm looking forward to reading your retraction last week.
that killed me

Old
09-01-2013, 11:02 AM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
I love Star Trek and enjoy SW, but I put both those franchises into different categories, where inter-species relationships are established and the story uses them more as metaphors for the human condition. If it ever happens, a real first-contact would be much stranger than anything Trek dreamed up, and much deeper than any of the talking puppets of SW.

Now that I think of it, Star Trek: First Contact would be the only film in the canon to qualify. Cool movie.

Forgot about Enemy Mine. Not really that original from a sci-fi POV, more of a creative 'bromance'. Still, it was better than most alien films.

Also just remembered Starman, with Jeff Bridges. A bit cheesy, but an intelligent attempt at the human/alien genre.
Cocoon perhaps?

Old
09-01-2013, 11:11 AM
Lshap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
Cocoon perhaps?
Forgot that one. Also, wasn't the female lead Raquel Welch's daughter? Unfrigginbelievably hot.

There's an Invasion of the Body Snatcher joke just hangin' there...

Old
09-01-2013, 11:57 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
You think so, but there's an alternate timeline where you loved it. I'm looking forward to reading your retraction last week.
Isn't that the unique thing about Twelve Monkeys, there are no alternate timelines. There's time travel to the past as observers but with no ability to change history.

Brad Pitt gave a decent performance, but overall it was an over elaborate film that didn't accomplish anything and ended poorly.

Old
09-01-2013, 12:00 PM
Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agnostic View Post
Isn't that the unique thing about Twelve Monkeys, there are no alternate timelines. There's time travel to the past as observers but with no ability to change history.

Brad Pitt gave a decent performance, but overall it was an over elaborate film that ended poorly.

Spoil:
Did you notice that the woman introducing herself on the plane at the end to the scientist who caused everything to go wrong is the same woman who, in the future, is sending Bruce Willis back in time? There are multiple interpretations on what this could mean. Some say that she was there to stop the attack altogether. Others say that she was just there to finally acquire a sample of the virus in its purest form. Others argue that she might bring the virus back to the future and infect everyone. Others say that Bruce Willis was just insane the entire time.

I don't think it's entirely clear that there is no ability to change history, even though the scientists and Bruce Willis indicate otherwise. There is evidence to point towards the idea of time travel as infinite regression, but the way it ended really opens the door to various interpretations

Sorry if it's not phrased clearly.

Last edited by Andy: 09-01-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old
09-01-2013, 12:01 PM
Estimated_Prophet

Quote:
Forgot that one. Also, wasn't the female lead Raquel Welch's daughter? Unfrigginbelievably hot.

There's an Invasion of the Body Snatcher joke just hangin' there...
Low hangin' fruit my friend

Old
09-01-2013, 12:35 PM
HABSonaroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainiac View Post
Wow, that's great news. Hope the documentary will be up the task.

If you don't know who Léo Major is, feel some shame and go read the wiki entry for him. This guy is a legend.
For the Korean War Leo and his Team of 20 men held of 2 Chinese Divisions -of 14,000 men by using close Quarter Mortar fire etc.

Old
09-01-2013, 12:36 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Ill write it in white writing....highlight below:

Spoiler:

Sorry if it's not phrased clearly.
Well it wasn't exactly subtle

Old
09-01-2013, 12:45 PM
Andy

Quote:
Well it wasn't exactly subtle
Haha, do we have spoiler tags on this forum?

Old
09-01-2013, 01:02 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Spoil:
Spoiler? I hardly know her!

Old
09-01-2013, 01:03 PM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Spoil:
Spoiler? I hardly know her!

yep. Like a regular tag, just use 'spoil' instead of say, 'img'.

Old
09-01-2013, 01:08 PM
Andy

Quote:
yep. Like a regular tag, just use 'spoil' instead of say, 'img'.
Thanks boss! I also edited the post to clear up what the hell I was talking about

I added a few interpretations of the movie based on the ending.

Old
09-01-2013, 01:13 PM
peate
Good grief!

Another take on Aliens which combined first contact, and some fine comedy was Close Encounters. Dreyfuss was hilarious.

Old
09-01-2013, 01:47 PM
roy munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloumeister View Post
It's hot. Damn hot. Real hot. Hottest thing is my shorts. I could cook things in it!

How's yours?
Too much information!

Summer's going great, but I'm a huge fan of fall and I can't wait for hockey to begin!! I sincerely don't know how I got through the last lockout alive...

Closed Thread