HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal Canadiens showcase depth and skill in latest top-20 ranking

Old
09-01-2013, 01:20 AM
bsl

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HF Article View Post
The Montreal Canadiens have added quality and quantity to their talent pool over the last two years, bringing in players with good offensive skills, speed, size and physicality, but more importantly leadership and good work ethic. This could be the deepest group of prospects the Canadiens have had in their farm system for quite some time.

There are at least five other players like Mac Bennett, Gabriel Dumont, Greg Pateryn, Dustin Tokarski, and Brady Vail that could quite easily have been on this list and could move up in the rankings by next time.
1. (1) Alex Galchenyuk, C/W, 8.5B
Drafted 1st round, 3rd overall, 2012

Forward Alex Galchenyuk is the top prospect for the Canadiens and should be their franchise player in the near future. read more

More...
Well done. I think Dietz should be higher than Bozon and Hudon however. I am getting very interested in Dietz.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 01:25 AM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
Thanks for the response. I guess I'm just a little bit surprised that you don't believe any of the above listed prospects have the potential (i.e. best case scenario) to become regular all-stars. I mean, aren't these the top NHL prospects in the game right now? So there are no prospects as of now that have, again as their high end potential, the ability to be regular all-stars?
Yes, they are high end talent with possible all-star potential but a regular All-star for me, is Crosby, Malkin, Stamkos. There's been just too many players that were considered in this category of high end talent that just never lived up to their possible potential. Too many things can go wrong on the way to the NHL or while playing in the NHL. Remember Alexander Daigle, Alexei Yashin or what happen to Eric Lindros with concussions. Patrice Bergeron and Crosby are possibly another concussion away from being out of hockey for good. Look at what happened to Geoffrion that was a freak accident but feces happens. I just believe that 9.0 is too freely given out on HF. I see Connor McDavid as a possible 9.0 so far out of any of the next two drafts and we still have to wait and see what will happen before giving him that rating.

I hope that helps explain why I wouldn't give 9.0 to Galchenyuk. I am not saying he won't be a All-star but predictions are for gypsies and fortune tellers. I still think he's one of the best offensively gifted talents that Canadiens have drafted in quite some time.

David Thicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 01:27 AM
JonathanToews19clutc*

Sven Andrighetto is a stud and he has more potential and complete than Sebastian Collberg.

In my mind, Andrighetto is really the future teammate to Galchenyuk.

JonathanToews19clutc* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 01:32 AM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Well done. I think Dietz should be higher than Bozon and Hudon however. I am getting very interested in Dietz.
I toyed with moving Dietz up farther but decided to see how it goes at the AHL level. Hudon and Bozon have such offensive upside to their games so they are ranked higher due to their ratings but they still have to reach that potential. I think Dietz is more likely to play in the NHL because of his physical all-round game where Bozon and Hudon have to produce offensively or else they won't get there.

This is why I keep pushing for a ranking of Defensemen, Forwards and Goalies each separately because it's like comparing apples to orange and then to bananas. Maybe some day it will change.

Thanks for the comments and the reading the article!

Old
09-01-2013, 01:35 AM
Avim86

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
Sven Andrighetto is a stud and he has more potential and complete than Sebastian Collberg.

See I know you haven't watched Andighetto/Collberg play so the fact that you are comparing them is just hilarious...Especially when Andrighetto is still pretty raw and Collberg is the one that lights it up when playing vs his age group and has shown no signs of regression.

Avim86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 01:35 AM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuebecPride View Post
Just a heads up, Andrighetto was not an overager last season in the 'Q, he played as a 19.

Otherwise a pretty good read.
I meant overager from the draft as he was passed over twice before the Canadiens picked him this year. It seemed to get lost in the cut down and edit process.

Thanks for reading the article. It is really appreciated!

Old
09-01-2013, 01:48 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Thicke View Post
This is the problem for me with the Canadiens' prospect group. They have a lot of good skilled players that are small, speedy along with some good two-way players with top-six potential but could eventually settle in at third line at the NHL level. They have the potential but will they realize it is another thing. The biggest problem is they are or were all top line players for their respected teams at the junior level. This is a good problem because they can be used for trades but this pool is not a balanced mix and is too tilted towards skill and speed. There not all going to make the NHL but if they actually do which would absolutely shock me. It's only going to be in the top-nine positions because almost all of them don't have the game to play fourth line role or a checking line role (Collberg, Bozon, Lehkonen, Andrighetto and Thomas). Hudon and Holland are smart enough to adapt to a checking role with more offense, not necessarily big enough to play that role at the NHL level. McCarron and de la Rose are possible exceptions that could play on any line if they develop to their full potential. Leblanc and Bournival can play the shutdown checking role while bring some offense and might reach second line potential but more likely third line. The Canadiens will have to move a few of the prospects if they all make the NHL which is highly unlikely. There's some bust potential but the work ethic and character of these prospects is higher than I have seen in the past ten years for the Canadiens farm system. The team is now playing Therrien's system of three offensive lines with one fourth line for crash and bang hockey. It's suits their talent pool and could be really good should the NHL decide to crack down fully on the physical play (boarding, charging and the head shots) and fighting in the near future, fat chance. If not, then the Canadiens will have to trade skill for muscle and physicality at some point.

Just how I see it.
Fantastic work. I have been saying it for a few months now: The Habs are heading into contender territory, even if flawed, and Bergy will need to start trading redundant prospects for young NHL Players that can help us in the contention window. Not picks, not Bournivals...effective NHL Players.

Not one of our GMs has been faced with this challenge the last 15 years, and I hope Bergy is up to it.

The 'rebuild' is over. I would have liked one more year, but the short season gave us a pick that was far too low, and we are already too good to see another top 5 pick next year. And Price, Subby and Max are not getting any younger. That sounds absurd, but I have been saying for a while now, the NHL is a 25 year old's game now.

This was the last summer Bergy can do nothing. In fact, it makes me very nervous that he has not acted more forcefully to obtain good young NHL proven talent for our window, starting now. Habs are still under the Radar, and he might have been able to move a couple of prospects for a good young player.

He will have to start making bold moves at the deadline, and through next summer, including trading prospects, for Habs to start really competing in 14-15. I have no opinion on Bergy yet, but I will on July 2 2014.

Last edited by bsl: 09-01-2013 at 01:56 AM.
bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 02:54 AM
rockjngo

Thomas will surprise you. The problem is we have too many 5'9 players. Briere, Gionta needs to go.

rockjngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 04:59 AM
DAChampion

It's a bit weird to see Galchenyuk and Gallagher listed as prospects, since they were NHL regulars last year. IMO, a prospect should be any player who can still be eligible for the Calder trophy.

It's nice to see a prospect analysis of the Habs that still respects Louis Leblanc.

DAChampion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Frozenice
the random dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanToews19clutc View Post
That's a bold and original statement. Not saying I agree or disagree with it but certainly something I never considered.

Frozenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 11:51 AM
Teufelsdreck

The Habs have lots of prospects--probably more than any other NHL team. To me the important question is how many of them will become significant players in the NHL. They're not all Galchenyuks.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 01:38 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
It's a bit weird to see Galchenyuk and Gallagher listed as prospects, since they were NHL regulars last year. IMO, a prospect should be any player who can still be eligible for the Calder trophy.

It's nice to see a prospect analysis of the Habs that still respects Louis Leblanc.
I have to agree with you but I am stuck with the HF rules on graduating prospects. We did look at the exception of the lockout shortened season being considered as a full season but it was decided to leave it alone as a one time thing or at least until this CBA runs out. You never know if the NHL & NHLPA are stupid enough to have another work stoppage.

Collberg vs Andrighetto is a very difficult debate. Very different types of players and skillsets. Andrighetto is a playmaker that has become more stocky and more explosive skating wise after being passed over at the draft twice. He now plays with a chip on his shoulder because of the snub and knows he must continue to work harder just to make it. Collberg is more of a shooter with a natural ability to find the open ice and soft spots in the opposition's zone. He has been playing against men for the last two years and will play at the WJC tournament for a third year. Where these two players' careers end up is really up to them and their work ethics. Andrighetto might make the Canadiens along with Collberg and both could play with Galchenyuk or neither might not. They could even both end up on a line together. Sometimes players look like they should fit together but just can't find the chemistry. You just never know what's going to happen but it will be fun to watch.

Thanks everyone for reading my article and the great comments! I really appreciate it! I can't wait for the rookie camp, pre-season and regulars season of all the hockey leagues to start. GoHabsGo

Old
09-01-2013, 01:45 PM
David Thicke
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
The Habs have lots of prospects--probably more than any other NHL team. To me the important question is how many of them will become significant players in the NHL. They're not all Galchenyuks.
I agree with you. Every player is different and anything can happen on the way to the NHL. If the Canadiens' past record of development of prospects continues at their rate of just over 30% of prospects drafted playing in the NHL then that's a good amount of them. I won't be surprise if it is higher due to the changes Bergevin's group has made to the development staff by adding Brisebois and Lapointe to work with the drafted lower level prospects both on and off the ice. It's paid dividends in just the first year alone so what can happen over the next five years. Very interesting to watch this all play out.