HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Was Lidstrom a generational talent?

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
09-01-2013, 04:43 PM
  #1
Lollipop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Was Lidstrom a generational talent?

IMO, he is the only generational talent ever from Nordic. He dominated his position in his era with his 7 norrises, conn smythe, 4 rings and olympic gold. .

But I see some people don't think he is a generational talent. Why not?

If you think he is that, why?

Lollipop is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:45 PM
  #2
CP31
Registered User
 
CP31's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Welland, ON
Posts: 1,749
vCash: 500
Yes because 7 norrises/longevity

CP31 is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:47 PM
  #3
gudzilla
Registered User
 
gudzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
don't think he's a generational talent since he wasn't drafted 1OA or close to that. he was however a generational player.

gudzilla is online now  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:50 PM
  #4
Marlowe Syn
R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
 
Marlowe Syn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: On the grift
Country: United States
Posts: 1,225
vCash: 29943
The only knock on Lidstrom I have is that last Norris he won. I think he won it as a sentimental vote. Weber deserved it I think. That notwithstanding Lids dominated the position for so long. I rank him right up there with Orr and Gretzky.

Marlowe Syn is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
  #5
Lollipop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
don't think he's a generational talent since he wasn't drafted 1OA or close to that. he was however a generational player.

I agree with you? I meant player not talent.

Lollipop is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:51 PM
  #6
Dellstrom
The new age
 
Dellstrom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Boston
Country: United States
Posts: 17,444
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
don't think he's a generational talent since he wasn't drafted 1OA or close to that. he was however a generational player.
What?

Yes, he was. He's one of the top 5 defensemen of all time. 7 Norris Trophies. Played at an elite level from start to finish. Conn Smythe, four cups... enough for me.

Dellstrom is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:53 PM
  #7
johan f
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Sweden
Country: Sweden
Posts: 645
vCash: 500
Nick had a couple of Norris-worthy years before he won his first. He had to stand in line for older and more famous players.....just like other have done behind Nick in his twillight years.

johan f is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:55 PM
  #8
Lollipop
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 682
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
The only knock on Lidstrom I have is that last Norris he won. I think he won it as a sentimental vote. Weber deserved it I think. That notwithstanding Lids dominated the position for so long. I rank him right up there with Orr and Gretzky.
If so then it make up for the norris he lost. I don't think Blake should have won his norris ahead of Lidstrom.

Lollipop is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:55 PM
  #9
Corto
Faceless Man
 
Corto's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Braavos
Country: Croatia
Posts: 12,879
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlowe Syn View Post
The only knock on Lidstrom I have is that last Norris he won. I think he won it as a sentimental vote. Weber deserved it I think. That notwithstanding Lids dominated the position for so long. I rank him right up there with Orr and Gretzky.
I agree on that last vote, but then again, he should've had Rob Blake's Norris before he won his first one, so it evens out a bit.

Corto is online now  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:56 PM
  #10
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...
 
Gardner McKay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Atlanta
Country: United States
Posts: 9,973
vCash: 50
Yes and easily. 7 Norris trophies. Are you kidding me?

__________________
"Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear or a fool from any direction."
Gardner McKay is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 04:59 PM
  #11
silkyjohnson50
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 8,272
vCash: 500
How many other defencemen have been elite while playing a game that lacked such physicality? Lidstrom pinning guys along the boards was his "physical game." Every other aspect of his game relied on positioning, hockey IQ, and stick skills (probably an underrated aspect of his game; being in the proper lane is one thing, but to consistently knock down passes and play so clean with the puck are another.)
He managed to have a ridiculously long and elite prime playing this style.

Seems pretty generational to me.

silkyjohnson50 is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:00 PM
  #12
Vermin
ainec
 
Vermin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,737
vCash: 50
Yes, he was arguably the best defender in the NHL for 15 years.

Vermin is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:09 PM
  #13
gudzilla
Registered User
 
gudzilla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 4,150
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dellstrom View Post
What?

Yes, he was. He's one of the top 5 defensemen of all time. 7 Norris Trophies. Played at an elite level from start to finish. Conn Smythe, four cups... enough for me.
why wasn't he taken 1OA if he was a generational TALENT? he developped into a generational player.

i do however limit my generational talents to gretzky, lemieux, orr, howe and lindros

gudzilla is online now  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:12 PM
  #14
UpGoesRupp
Registered User
 
UpGoesRupp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: British Columbia
Country: Canada
Posts: 964
vCash: 500
If you want to break it down. No, he wasnt. He didnt have a single talent that completely outshone his peers.

But for the love of the game. Yes. Aside from physical talent and attritibutes, Lidstrom is in contention for the highest hockey iq of all time. The guy was a freak in the way he thought the game. Honestly, growing up watching him from the late nineties till now... He thought the game defensively how Gretzky saw the game offensively.

UpGoesRupp is online now  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:15 PM
  #15
ESH
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
why wasn't he taken 1OA if he was a generational TALENT? he developped into a generational player.

i do however limit my generational talents to gretzky, lemieux, orr, howe and lindros
I would think that to be a generational player you'd need to be a generational talent. His hockey smarts and on ice intelligence is a talent of his that hasn't been matched by any other defenseman ever.

ESH is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:16 PM
  #16
tsbilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
why wasn't he taken 1OA if he was a generational TALENT? he developped into a generational player.

i do however limit my generational talents to gretzky, lemieux, orr, howe and lindros

Are you saying draft position trumps performance in the NHL over decades? Your argument is incorrect, illogical, and quite dumb. Draft position has nothing to do with it. Performance does. MOD


Last edited by Fugu: 09-03-2013 at 03:54 PM. Reason: flaming
tsbilly is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:17 PM
  #17
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,985
vCash: 500
Um yes. Generational talent. Patience, understanding defense, and perfection are undervalued skills. Between the ears the guy was a talent.

Pure and simple, the guy was one of the top dmen in hockey. Definitely best in this generation.

And I'm a Preds fan. I ****ing HATE Detroit. Is hate a strong word? Yes, yes it is. But is it strong enough for my feelings towards the organization. No, no it is not.

BigFatCat999 is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:17 PM
  #18
tsbilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Also, see: Tom Brady

tsbilly is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:19 PM
  #19
overg
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Indianapolis, IN
Posts: 868
vCash: 500
I started watching hockey as a Wings fan in 1992. Lidstrom and Yzerman are my two favorite players of all time.

But I would say "no," he's not a generational talent. One of the very best superstar level players ever to play the game, and one of the greatest defensemen of all time, but he did not dominate the game at the level of Lemieux or Gretzky (the two true generational talents I got to watch).

For me, the "generational talents" simply toy with the competition. Right now, the "big 4" are it for me. Hoping to someday see number 5. But it wasn't Lidstrom.

overg is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:22 PM
  #20
tsbilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by overg View Post
I started watching hockey as a Wings fan in 1992. Lidstrom and Yzerman are my two favorite players of all time.

But I would say "no," he's not a generational talent. One of the very best superstar level players ever to play the game, and one of the greatest defensemen of all time, but he did not dominate the game at the level of Lemieux or Gretzky (the two true generational talents I got to watch).

For me, the "generational talents" simply toy with the competition. Right now, the "big 4" are it for me. Hoping to someday see number 5. But it wasn't Lidstrom.

Lidstrom dominated his position like no other player for 20 years. By "generation" do you mean century? If so, Lidstrom was still one of the top players of the last 100 years.

Name another player at the position that was better during the last twenty years. Come on, do it.

Also, your definition of 'generational talent' is incorrect. Please, look up 'generation,' that should help out.

tsbilly is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:26 PM
  #21
Ceremony
Moderator
Ten Tons
 
Ceremony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 73,393
vCash: 499
Well, yes.

__________________
ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:32 PM
  #22
Evincar
Your Final Judgement
 
Evincar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 3,323
vCash: 500
Would Bourque and Potvin be considered generational talents too?

Evincar is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:33 PM
  #23
HolyShot*
Sniper
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Glendale, CA
Posts: 2,015
vCash: 500
Overrated.

HolyShot* is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:34 PM
  #24
tsbilly
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 39
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida pwnthers View Post
why wasn't he taken 1OA if he was a generational TALENT? he developped into a generational player.

i do however limit my generational talents to gretzky, lemieux, orr, howe and lindros
Did you see what Lidstrom did to Lindros and the Legion of Doom in the '97 finals? What about that doesn't scream DOMINATION to you?

tsbilly is offline  
Old
09-01-2013, 05:37 PM
  #25
jfisher6
#thestructure
 
jfisher6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Denver
Country: United States
Posts: 3,082
vCash: 50
I tend to think the prime of a player is a little more important than a long and steady career.

I would say no, simply because there were always Dmen around who were on or near his level throughout his career, and his "greatness" didn't even start for several seasons.

Then again, there are only a few generational talents ever, if you're asking me. Gretzky, Lemieux, Roy, Orr, Howe and maybe a couple others, Lindros could be arguable

jfisher6 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:54 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.