HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

Video Games III

Old
08-23-2013, 03:15 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustsurvival View Post
Not yet, but I really want to. Crusader Kings 2 is awesome. While different, I'd imagine Europa is pretty good too.

Finding time to get sucked into a Paradox game though, that is another struggle entirely.
It is. I haven't played Crusader Kings 2 but I've been meaning to for a while. EU3 was awesome though. IV seems like it should be roughly the same game, but with new systems for trade and technology.

Liberati0n is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-23-2013, 11:57 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

vCash: 500
Question for the PS3 guys out there... how is online gameplay? I love Xbox online for multiplayer gaming, especially Madden, NHL, Fifa, etc. I am leaning towards the PS4 as I like their exclusives a little better, but online gameplay -- particularly for sports games -- is my #1 sticking point.

Any advice?

AlexBrovechkin8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 09:04 AM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsANDCaps View Post
Question for the PS3 guys out there... how is online gameplay? I love Xbox online for multiplayer gaming, especially Madden, NHL, Fifa, etc. I am leaning towards the PS4 as I like their exclusives a little better, but online gameplay -- particularly for sports games -- is my #1 sticking point.

Any advice?
XBox's online play was significantly more secure and typically faster this past generation, and I don't think even Sony fanboys would argue the point. With the required XBox Live membership for the next gen, I'd imagine that'll still be the case.

However, if PS4 sales do end up significantly trumping XB1's, more people online may make for a better experience (assuming Sony doesn't repeat their security and slow update speed issues).

My best guess is that Sony will resolve their online issues, and you won't notice much of a difference between the two online gaming experiences. So go with the system whose secondary features and exclusives you prefer.

NobodyBeatsTheWiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:30 PM
SashaSemin28
Because Its The Caps

Send a message via Skype™ to SashaSemin28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
XBox's online play was significantly more secure and typically faster this past generation, and I don't think even Sony fanboys would argue the point. With the required XBox Live membership for the next gen, I'd imagine that'll still be the case.

However, if PS4 sales do end up significantly trumping XB1's, more people online may make for a better experience (assuming Sony doesn't repeat their security and slow update speed issues).

My best guess is that Sony will resolve their online issues, and you won't notice much of a difference between the two online gaming experiences. So go with the system whose secondary features and exclusives you prefer.
For what its worth, you need PS+ to play online for the PS4. PS+ is better than Gold (saying this as an xbox user), but if they continue the games with gold stuff on the XB1, then its pretty even imo. Currently, it looks like the XB1 will be winning from the start especially with the price difference being made up by getting a free game with the XB1 (You get FIFA 14 for free in Europe with it on release) so it will be interesting.

SashaSemin28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 01:31 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

the latest XCOM game is atrocious.

It's awful.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 05:42 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimaera View Post
the latest XCOM game is atrocious.

It's awful.
The FPS? Everybody knew it would be. Meanwhile, the next "real" XCOM game was just announced.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 06:54 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
The FPS?
aka the Game No One Wanted

Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 09:08 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
For what its worth, you need PS+ to play online for the PS4. PS+ is better than Gold (saying this as an xbox user), but if they continue the games with gold stuff on the XB1, then its pretty even imo. Currently, it looks like the XB1 will be winning from the start especially with the price difference being made up by getting a free game with the XB1 (You get FIFA 14 for free in Europe with it on release) so it will be interesting.
Thanks for the responses. I've always like PS better, but Xbox Live was fantastic. I normally don't even play games unless it's online, and recently I've only played sports games so online is my top priority. I'll have to do more research on the secondary features.

Anyone in here an Xbox or PS guy switching to the other console this time?

Old
08-24-2013, 10:10 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

As someone who mostly did online gaming on the PS3, I've never had any issues (aside from the outage due to the hack).

NEVER ONCE had a speed issue...

6 - Number of playoff series the Capitals have won since George McPhee took over as General Manager in 1997 (which makes him the third-longest-tenured GM in the League), three of which came in McPhee's first season on the job.
CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-24-2013, 10:34 PM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

Quote:
The FPS? Everybody knew it would be. Meanwhile, the next "real" XCOM game was just announced.
Yeah. The visuals and the setting make it so desirable, but the gameplay is beyond clunky.

Chimaera is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 11:02 AM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2013/0...it-and-switch/

Microsoft refutes conspiracies about Xbox One DRM bait-and-switch

Old
08-28-2013, 09:34 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Any one have a PSVita? Worth getting?

Price has dropped to $199 and I'm getting an itchy Amazon Prime trigger finger.

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-28-2013, 09:51 PM
Brave Sir Robin

Quote:
You mean Xenonauts? That was announced a while ago, the Early Access is already available on Steam. I can't really tell you how good it is cause I don't have a habit for paying for unfinished games.

Brave Sir Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 07:36 AM
Xaroc

Just a little anecdote from the NHL 12-13 community. Everyone I know on PS3 who hopped to Xbox 360 during the outage said Xbox Live was better. Voice chat didn't work half the time there. They didn't have party chat (PS4 will have this, although where was it for 7 years?) and getting matchups was difficult.

It is nice Sony is saying PSN is going to be be feature for feature competitive with Xbox Live but who would you rather go with? The guys who have been doing it and doing it well for a long time or someone who is just starting to implement these features? I am not sure I trust Sony to do it well at least not to begin with.

Xaroc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-29-2013, 09:35 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

FFXIV: ARR is beast.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 09:51 PM
Cush
-inator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Any one have a PSVita? Worth getting?

Price has dropped to $199 and I'm getting an itchy Amazon Prime trigger finger.
Have one, haven't touched it in months. Was really hoping they would have Madden again or maybe NHL 14, but no luck. Think devs are still a little wary with the low install base. Could change if sales pick up due to the price drop. Killzone Mercenary is due next week and looks like it could be pretty good

It's a good handheld, just needs more support. Seems like most people are using it to play PS1/PSP games

On another note, anyone play Wargame: Air Land Battle?

Last edited by Cush: 08-31-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2013, 10:36 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaroc View Post
Just a little anecdote from the NHL 12-13 community. Everyone I know on PS3 who hopped to Xbox 360 during the outage said Xbox Live was better. Voice chat didn't work half the time there. They didn't have party chat (PS4 will have this, although where was it for 7 years?) and getting matchups was difficult.

It is nice Sony is saying PSN is going to be be feature for feature competitive with Xbox Live but who would you rather go with? The guys who have been doing it and doing it well for a long time or someone who is just starting to implement these features? I am not sure I trust Sony to do it well at least not to begin with.
Doing it for longer... LOL.

If Microsoft can do it on Xbox hardware, I'm pretty sure Sony can do it quite fine on PS4 hardware with the forethought that people been complaining about it not being on the PS3.

Razer comms brand new, better than Vent, TS, and Skype.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-31-2013, 05:51 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

The pistol offense on Madden is awesome. They did a very good job of it in my opinion. For the read option, you actually have to read the DE or you get crushed. Wasn't going to get Madden this year, but with the NFL Sunday Ticket deal I couldn't say no.

Old
08-31-2013, 05:55 PM
AlexBrovechkin8

Quote:

This is my biggest concern. I have a 360, but like PS and their games better. 90% of the time I play sports games online, so if the new PSN is improved I'll probably switch over.

Old
08-31-2013, 08:31 PM
itsjustsurvival
The Revisionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cush View Post
Have one, haven't touched it in months. Was really hoping they would have Madden again or maybe NHL 14, but no luck. Think devs are still a little wary with the low install base. Could change if sales pick up due to the price drop. Killzone Mercenary is due next week and looks like it could be pretty good

It's a good handheld, just needs more support. Seems like most people are using it to play PS1/PSP games

On another note, anyone play Wargame: Air Land Battle?
What he said. Awesome hardware, but I use it for ps1 and psp games.

I have Air Land Battle. I love the game.

itsjustsurvival is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 12:05 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I get what you're saying, but this isn't bleeding edge technology. Doing it longer really holds no weight to me. Catching up with readily available/proven technology isn't something to be worried about IMO. That said, I have never had a need for the features you mentioned. Never had a problem getting matchup myself.

Old
09-01-2013, 02:09 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I get what you're saying, but this isn't bleeding edge technology. Doing it longer really holds no weight to me. Catching up with readily available/proven technology isn't something to be worried about IMO. That said, I have never had a need for the features you mentioned. Never had a problem getting matchup myself.
Yep. Sonys reason for the PS3 missing the features was memory, Microsoft thought ahead and reserved more memory for the background OS activities.

SimplySensational is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 03:11 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinsANDCaps View Post
This is my biggest concern. I have a 360, but like PS and their games better. 90% of the time I play sports games online, so if the new PSN is improved I'll probably switch over.
Sounds like the ideal action in your situation is to sit it out for a few months. Wait until the first major stocking after launch and get the one that seems to have the better online service/games/etc.

Old
09-01-2013, 06:35 PM
BrettXNA

Quote:
Originally Posted by SashaSemin28 View Post
If you think the xbox one will be "winning from the start" than you havent been paying attention.
The xbox 360 had 3 advantages over the ps3:
1 year head start on the market.
Easier to develop for than Sony's machine.
$100 to $200 cheaper depending on whether you bought
the wifi adapter for the 360.
In spite of these advantages the ps3 eventually surpassed the 360
in sales worldwide.
Now these advantages are completely gone and the
ps4 has an almost 50% power advantage and a $100 price advantage
in the US.
The only territory Microsoft MAY win this time around is the US and
if they do it will be alot closer than with the ps3 and 360.

BrettXNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-01-2013, 06:40 PM
NobodyBeatsTheWiz
Happy now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettXNA View Post
If you think the xbox one will be "winning from the start" than you havent been paying attention.
The xbox 360 had 3 advantages over the ps3:
1 year head start on the market.
Easier to develop for than Sony's machine.
$100 to $200 cheaper depending on whether you bought
the wifi adapter for the 360.
In spite of these advantages the ps3 eventually surpassed the 360
in sales worldwide.
Now these advantages are completely gone and the
ps4 has an almost 50% power advantage and a $100 price advantage
in the US.
The only territory Microsoft MAY win this time around is the US and
if they do it will be alot closer than with the ps3 and 360.
XB1 has more exclusives, more features, and the processing gap that's being ever-exaggerated (it's 50% now?) will be made up with cloud processing.

If MS is able to get their marketing heads out of their *****, and are able to successfully market the XB1 as an all-in-one device, it'll crush PS4.

As I've said, we won't know who's winning until they're both out for a bit and establish their market shares.